Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Category 4 Security Threat

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Symantec
And, this specific program:
Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Dehubb6800 Category 4 Security Threat
Member 13th Jan, 2010 05:47
Ranking: 0
User Since: 13th Jan, 2010
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 13th Jan, 2010 05:49

Program is Symantec AntiVirus Corp. Edition 10x Version10.1.5.5000
Path Invormation: C:/ProgramFiles/SymantecAntiVirus/VPTray.exe
Your solution was to go to LiveUpdate and I did and did download several updates, however, it appears to still be in a threat according to the scan. When I go direct to Symantec again it tells me all updates have been installed in my computer. What do I do since Symantec does not seem to be aware of the problem Secunia is saying exists. Please help.
All my earlier problems are resolved and this one came up after they were all patched. What is the problem? I have rescanned my program 3 times since the updates and also shut down and restarted my computer. Help! Thanks. I then rescanned again.....

mogs RE: Category 4 Security Threat
Expert Contributor 13th Jan, 2010 12:43
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello. Welcome.
I'm not familiar at all with the program you have showing as insecure; but it does sound as tho' the problem you are experiencing is fairly common and usual. Namely, that Secunia is still detecting older/earlier versions/files that are still present, even tho' you've updated.
If you switch to the Advanced interface, you will be able to access more information....tech. details etc.,etc..You will be able to find the file path and confirmation of it.
If you click on the + sign alongside the insecure/end of life prog/entry, it will expand to reveal that information; enabling you to delete or update so on and so forth.
If you experience any further difficulty you can come back to the forum with that information, when someone may be better able to assist you.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Delores RE: Category 4 Security Threat
Member 13th Jan, 2010 19:56
Score: 0
User Since: 13th Jan 2010
Last edited on 13th Jan, 2010 20:24
My problem of yesterday was Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.X
The advanced mode info is as follows: C:/ProgramFiles/SymantecAntiVirus/VPTray.exe
Version 10.1.5.5000
Doing as the solution suggests was to go to Live Update and installl updates which I did and there were several it appeared. Why those did not download automatically as programaed to do I do not know, however, I was then told that I had all updates and was current. I reran the scan later several times, shut down the computer and restarted and then rescanned again twice at various times. Still Secunia is saying I have a category 4 threat on 1 program which is Symantec AntiVirus 10.X.......I am out of things I can do at this time without some kind of help from you. Here is what I see when I go into the file folder this VPTray.exe shows a small icon shield, I would call it and that same shield appears in my computer on startup and remains there and if you click it it opens up the program and gives you options to scan etc. also to access Live Update. So why if that is where the problem exists does Symantec not have a patch for it? I am very concerned about this situation because I do not need another reinstall of Windows Expense due to a security situation. Perhaps going to another Antivirus protection would be the answer such as AVG AntVirus, however I had that one when I lost all my stuff and bought this new Dell and after it was 6 months old due to a soft ware problem and a lot of expense and inconvinence reinstalled WindowsXP and now I am up and running and do not want that problem again soon. So I do need to get a good Virus Protection going here. I hope you can get to the bottom of Symantec's Problem Thanks, Delores
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Jan, 2010 20:39
So, Delores and Dehubb6800 are one and the same ?
This problem/subject appears to have had an airing about a month ago, ending inconclusively at the time it seems.
You can read the relevant posts by completing "Show only threads for specific forum".....3rd party Software progs: vendor and prog. respectively.....Symantec/Anti-virus Corporate Edition 10.X
I cannot add any more than what has already been noted there.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Jan, 2010 22:37
Yes I am the same person. Still trying to get to the bottom of this problem. Some how I got messed up trying to sign in and had to redo things if you know what I mean. How do I go to this place you are refering to? I do appreciate your help and thank you much just in case I get messed up again. Delores
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Jan, 2010 22:56
Hi - I did find the place you told me to go to and read all the info. It sounds like I have to call my IT person since he is the one who installed this Symantec version in December 2009 and perhaps he holds the key, perhaps he has a update to this version 10.1.5.5000. This is the only thing I can think of to do. Do you have a good Virus Protection Company that you feel safe with and could you tell me about it? I appreciate any help you can give me in this. Regards, Delores
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 14th Jan, 2010 09:27
Hi Delores....so this is the handle you'll be sticking with ?
Glad you managed to navigate/gravitate to the posts I referred to previously.
I have a personal anti-virus set-up....you seem to be looking for a provider at a corporate level. At my level I've had no reason to complain about McAfee....the anti-virus being a component of the security suite.As far as I'm aware, they are providers to such as BT....maybe that's a good recommendation in itself ? I don't have a lengthy experience with the internet, but I have learned that it,(security prog), is oft a contentious subject in the forums. Everybody has their own preferences/opinions. If the conflicts are steered clear of, they don't need ironing out...that's my philosophy...for what it's worth.Best of luck.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability