xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: This installation of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition is insecur...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

This thread has been marked as locked.
kabo0m This installation of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition is insecure and potentially exposes your system to security threats!
Member 14th Jan, 2010 01:14
Ranking: 0
User Since: 9th Apr, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 14th Jan, 2010 01:22

I just booted up today after a Windows update yesterday. I know my computer is secure and it never had a problem with this before but today Sucunia PSI said this:

"This installation of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition is insecure and potentially exposes your system to security threats!"

What?? http://i46.tinypic.com/10ngy8p.gif

I click on update and it brings me to IE which says there are no updates. I have them all. So what is up with Secunia??

--
Win 7 64bit
Intel P4 2.0a
4gb Ram
ATI Radeon X800XL 256mb
http://server-admins.com
http://kidneykorner.com

This user no longer exists RE: This installation of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition is insecure and potentially exposes your system to security threats!
Member 14th Jan, 2010 09:09
Last edited on 14th Jan, 2010 09:09 Hi,
Some Microsoft updates require you to reboot your computer. Please reboot and rescan. If the PSI still say you're insecure, please click the solution button again.
Has this solved the issue?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
hogdigerdy RE: This installation of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition is insecure and potentially exposes your system to security threats!
Member 14th Jan, 2010 12:27
Score: 1
User Since: 14th Jan 2010
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 14th Jan, 2010 12:30
hi
i don't know if jumping on someone else's thread is good form but i have windows XP pro and have had the same problem, ever since the last windows update which i installed yesterday morning, i have re-booted several times since then, the update was for the malicious software tool and an XP security update, i also had a warning for flash player but that was easily corrected by following your update linc to the adobe site, if you could shed some light on this as windows says i am up to date.

also on another topic, i have no password as there was nowhere to enter one and can only use the forum through the linc in the secunia program, as i can't log in?

--
MS Windows XP Pro SP3
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @2000 MHz
1.024GB DDR-SDRAM
Sapphire Radion X300SE
HDD- WDC 160GB partitioned to C:\ 60GB, D:\ 100GB, + Seagate 250GB external
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: This installation of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition is insecure and potentially exposes your system to security threats!
Expert Contributor 14th Jan, 2010 15:46
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 14th Jan, 2010 15:50
@hogdierdy ,

Use the blue "Secunia Profile" link (top left of this page , next to the orange "Forum" link) to complete your settings .

As this is your first post , I will give you some basic advice (sorry if you already know) , which may help you explain any problems to us more specifically :-

To help resolve any problem , here are some instructions to help you first of all get the best out of PSI :-

1)use PSI in "advanced" mode ;
2)in the "settings" tab make sure that the box in the first/upper section is NOT ticked in order to have the maximum info available ;
3)tell us in which "tab(s)" your problem programme is located ;
4)in that tab , click on the + in the box at the left end of the programme , the page will expand ;
5)in the expanded page , tell us what is written in the "installation path" ;
6)in the "toolbox" section , lower down , the link "technical details" should confirm the installation path details ;
7)click on the link "open folder" and you will see more details concerning the location of the "problem" .

Posting these details will help the Forum help you , if/when you have a problem .

Joining an existing thread on your topic is fine ; otherwise you can start your own .

Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
hogdigerdy RE: This installation of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition is insecure and potentially exposes your system to security threats!
Member 14th Jan, 2010 16:16
hi anthony
thanks for your reply i do have secunia in advance mode and have the settings set as you advise the problem shows in the insecure tab unfortunately the technical details button just tells me there is a problem and to use this information to fix it, it then goes on to not give me any details? the open folder button is greyed out and not clickable and this is my problem, their is no information on what the problem is, it just tells me i have one, i have had secunia on my pc for some time but this is the first time i have come across a problem that can't be fixed with the update button or by manually going to the vendors site and updating as microsucks says that i am up to date.
thanks for your info on setting up my profile i think i must have been suffering from button blindness :)

--
MS Windows XP Pro SP3
1.024GB DDR-SDRAM
Sapphire Radion X300SE
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: This installation of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition is insecure and potentially exposes your system to security threats!
Expert Contributor 14th Jan, 2010 16:57

@hogdigerdy ,

What PSI is showing is "normal" .

Have you been to MS updates and checked to see if Tuesdays downloads were correctly installed and/or if it is still offering you "updates" .

Are there any entries in the error log after your scan ??(these will show if PSI has not collected the update info correctly).

The Belarc advisor will check whether you have all MS patches correctly installed :-

http://belarc.com/free_download.html

PSI can , sometimes , take time to update itself ; if nothing is resolved by Monday , you may need to check with Emil Petersen (see above) at support@secunia.com

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Jan, 2010 19:40
hi Anthony

yeah windows says i'm up to date, i've run the belarc adviser and so does that, so i guess i'll have to wait for things to right themselves, still no problem is the best sort to have, the belarc program is a nifty little piece of kit, thanks for that, i'll have to work on the benchmark score though, it was very low

--
MS Windows XP Pro SP3
1.024GB DDR-SDRAM
Sapphire Radion X300SE
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bcoop71 RE: This installation of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition is insecure and potentially exposes your system to security threats!
Member 14th Jan, 2010 21:24
Score: 0
User Since: 7th Sep 2009
I'm having the exact same problem for the last two or three days ... and I've been through all the checks. Me-thinks there is a bug in the system.

Barbara
Was this reply relevant?
+0
kabo0m RE: This installation of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition is insecure and potentially exposes your system to security threats!
Member 15th Jan, 2010 06:05
User Since: 9th Apr 2009
Last edited on 15th Jan, 2010 06:07
on 14th Jan, 2010 09:09, wrote:
Hi,
Some Microsoft updates require you to reboot your computer. Please reboot and rescan. If the PSI still say you're insecure, please click the solution button again.
Has this solved the issue?

I did that ... that is why I posted. It was after a reboot that suddenly Secunia had a problem. Guess I have to do a full scan for it to realize it is safe?

I also went to Windows Update site, none to install. I have them all.

--
Win 7 64bit
Intel P4 2.0a
4gb Ram
ATI Radeon X800XL 256mb
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: This installation of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition is insecure and potentially exposes your system to security threats!
Member 15th Jan, 2010 08:52
Last edited on 15th Jan, 2010 09:01
on 15th Jan, 2010 06:05, kabo0m wrote:
I did that ... that is why I posted. It was after a reboot that suddenly Secunia had a problem. Guess I have to do a full scan for it to realize it is safe?

I also went to Windows Update site, none to install. I have them all.

Hi,
Yes, you do some times need to conduct a full rescan. As you have not mentioned whether or not you've rescaned your system, could I ask you to tell us? If you haven't, please do. It may be all it takes.
Hope this helps.

on 14th Jan, 2010 12:27, hogdigerdy wrote:
hi
i don't know if jumping on someone else's thread is good form but i have windows XP pro and have had the same problem, ever since the last windows update which i installed yesterday morning, i have re-booted several times since then, the update was for the malicious software tool and an XP security update, i also had a warning for flash player but that was easily corrected by following your update linc to the adobe site, if you could shed some light on this as windows says i am up to date.

Hi,
We in support will generally concentrate on the problems of the Original Poster. This is not because we don't care about other issues, but because it is nearly impossible to keep track of cases if you keep threads to mixed together. An approach that solved a great many problems, is trying the solutions suggested by our active user community, though keep in mind only users explicitly marked as Secunia Officials work directly for us, and accepting the aid of the user community is at your own risk.

In case another solution to a similar problem doesn't fix your headache, it's time to either start a forum post (which might get you help faster, since there are a great many active posters) or write us directly at
support@secunia.com.

on 14th Jan, 2010 12:27, hogdigerdy wrote:

also on another topic, i have no password as there was nowhere to enter one and can only use the forum through the linc in the secunia program, as i can't log in?

You can reset your password by filling out the form on this page:
http://secunia.com/community/profile/forgotpasswor...

Hope this helps, and welcome to the secunia forum.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
kabo0m RE: This installation of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition is insecure and potentially exposes your system to security threats!
Member 16th Jan, 2010 02:36
on 15th Jan, 2010 08:52, wrote:
Hi,
Yes, you do some times need to conduct a full rescan. As you have not mentioned whether or not you've rescaned your system, could I ask you to tell us? If you haven't, please do. It may be all it takes.
Hope this helps.

Okay I did a full scan and it finally went away. Thanks for your help.

Also on the note of others hijacking my thread, I do not mind as long as it is on the exact same topic as this .. as really anyone else searching for the same info would be led to this thread anyway right?

But yeah, doing a full Secunia scan did finally say I have no threats now.

--
Win 7 64bit
Intel P4 2.0a
4gb Ram
ATI Radeon X800XL 256mb
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Jan, 2010 12:49
hi
i have sorted my login problem, i was looking for a user profile button and didn't use enough grey matter to click the secunia profile button, cheers Anthony for your direction,

@E.Petersen i had rescanned but the problem was still showing which is why i came to the forum, as i said this was the first problem i have had that i couldn't find a remedy for, but on scanning today the issue has been resolved, i will bear in mind your comments about official secunia personel, but in this case the user advice from Anthony did the trick

@ kabo0m on the subject of thread hijack, my bad, but if you hadn't started the thread in the first place then i would have been proper lost so taa very much

--
MS Windows XP Pro SP3
1.024GB DDR-SDRAM
Sapphire Radion X300SE
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Jan, 2010 13:00
on 16th Jan, 2010 12:49, hogdigerdy wrote:

@ kabo0m on the subject of thread hijack, my bad, but if you hadn't started the thread in the first place then i would have been proper lost so taa very much

I was saying I don't mind. ;) I think we are on the same topic! :D

--
Win 7 64bit
Intel P4 2.0a
4gb Ram
ATI Radeon X800XL 256mb
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Jan, 2010 13:25
on 16th Jan, 2010 13:00, kabo0m wrote:
I was saying I don't mind. ;) I think we are on the same topic! :D

we certainly are :) and had your thread not been here i would have probably done something terminally regrettable to my pc by way of a home made fix :D

--
MS Windows XP Pro SP3
1.024GB DDR-SDRAM
Sapphire Radion X300SE
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Jan, 2010 15:23
on 16th Jan, 2010 13:25, hogdigerdy wrote:
we certainly are :) and had your thread not been here i would have probably done something terminally regrettable to my pc by way of a home made fix :D

Glad you did not have to resort to something terminally regrettable. :)

You can go to Secunia Profile then in My settings enable Show my Secunia System Score to other users.

Then in Signature
Fill in this field with a signature that you want appended to every thread or post you create.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Jan, 2010 17:48
hi Yokenny
yeah i found the page thanks, with the "signature" field and above that the "my settings" field but all it contains is "time zone" with no GMT zone available, only europe/London i don't know to which country this refers, as I'm English not european :), and "let other users know where you are from" which does let me choose the UK so that's something i spose but i can't find the "show my system score to other users" i'm probably missing something obvious :I

--
MS Windows XP Pro SP3
1.024GB DDR-SDRAM
Sapphire Radion X300SE
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Jan, 2010 18:43
on 16th Jan, 2010 17:48, hogdigerdy wrote:
hi Yokenny
yeah i found the page thanks, with the "signature" field and above that the "my settings" field but all it contains is "time zone" with no GMT zone available, only europe/London i don't know to which country this refers, as I'm English not european :), and "let other users know where you are from" which does let me choose the UK so that's something i spose but i can't find the "show my system score to other users" i'm probably missing something obvious :I

London is within Europe just like I am in part of North America.

Maybe you see different screens from me and Maurice Joyce will have to help as he is in the UK.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 16th Jan, 2010 19:28
Last edited on 16th Jan, 2010 19:35
Hello hogdigerdy,

In your Secunia Profile on this site , immediately below "My Settings" is a very small box which you need to tick to show your score - apparently it really is not visible for some people , for some reason .

You may well be English or a British citizen , but you are located in Europe and Europe/London is GMT based and Europe/Paris for example is GMT + 1 hour .

You can specify your bit of the UK by filling in "city" with whatever you wish .

Hope that helps :)
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Jan, 2010 22:11
Last edited on 16th Jan, 2010 22:12
hi
@ YoKenny & Anthony Wells on the continent of europe granted, just never seen a drop down with europe/england before it's usually UK for country and GMT for time zone

i still haven't got an "show my system score to other users" button so i'll wait for a secunia official to come by or failing that post a new thread, anyway thanks for your help

ps my comments about europe were more political than geographical it was a dig at the eu

--
MS Windows XP Pro SP3
1.024GB DDR-SDRAM
Sapphire Radion X300SE
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 16th Jan, 2010 22:57
Last edited on 16th Jan, 2010 23:04
@hogdigerdy

This site might help you , you are in the West European Time (WET) zone , there is a Central European Time (CET) zone and an Eastern European Time (EET) zone . You will see that WET's have Ireland , Portugal and the UK*** and are the same as GMT :-

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/europe/

Many systems :eg: MS Windoze : use the principal city to designate a/the/your Time zone .

So far this Forum seems to be strictly non-political ; in view of it's International reach , long may it remain so !!

Take care
Anthony

PS: the Danes who created Secunia are also Europeans :))
PPS: ***forgot the canaries !!

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Jan, 2010 23:21
Anthony, I am curious as to why in this forum your PSI information is not displayed nor system information in the signature.

Secunia System Score: N/A
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jan, 2010 05:54
Actually I was wondering why mine says N/A as well ... when I first came here it said 100%.

Now it always just says N/A

--
Win 7 64bit
Intel P4 2.0a
4gb Ram
ATI Radeon X800XL 256mb
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jan, 2010 07:12
Try entering a location like I have as Ont. in City under Secunia Profile:
Let other users know where you are from

Make sure Show my Secunia System Score to other users is selected
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jan, 2010 09:04
Last edited on 17th Jan, 2010 09:07
on 17th Jan, 2010 07:12, wrote:
Try entering a location like I have as Ont. in City under Secunia Profile:
Let other users know where you are from

Make sure Show my Secunia System Score to other users is selected

Thank you! :) You guys are all so helpful here! :D But can you tell me where to find where it says Show my Secunia System Score to other users? Thanks.

--
Win 7 64bit
Intel P4 2.0a
4gb Ram
ATI Radeon X800XL 256mb
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jan, 2010 11:36
hi

I still can't find the "show other users your secunia score" button so i thought i'd try logging on with windows IE, as i usually use firefox, and on some sites this can make a difference, so i tried to log-in using IE and the site doesn't recognise my user name or password so i can't log-in at all using IE

--
MS Windows XP Pro SP3
1.024GB DDR-SDRAM
Sapphire Radion X300SE
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jan, 2010 11:42
Last edited on 17th Jan, 2010 11:45 I do not use Firefox so maybe PSI has to be set up through Firefox.

In the top left just under Vulnerability Information you will see:
Forum which is here.

Then Secunia Profile that you have to click on to see Secunia Profile and the Welcome message then below that you will see My settings where it will show
(unknown source)
Show my Secunia System Score to other users
Check this box, if you want to display your Secunia System Score in threads and posts. It will automatically reflect your current score from your Secunia PSI.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jan, 2010 12:01
Last edited on 17th Jan, 2010 13:19
hi
i still haven't got a button on my profile page, i'll have to check later or try and log on with IE
thanks for your help i'll let you know how it goes

--
MS Windows XP Pro SP3
1.024GB DDR-SDRAM
Sapphire Radion X300SE
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 17th Jan, 2010 14:44
Last edited on 17th Jan, 2010 14:55
Hello hogdigerdy ,

This very long and somewhat techie (for me) thread explains (or not) Secunia's browser selection :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/219...

If PSI/Forum runs OK in Firefox and that is your preferred choice , no need to change browsers ; the overview page needs Adobe Flash Player ActiveX plug-in installed in IE in order to display the pretty graphs , but does not need to be your default/Secunia browser :)

Some time ago (memory fails me on exactly when) , there were reports that the score box (for ticking thereof) was not displaying in "my settings" ; I don't remember any solution being posted .

Unless someone else can enlighten you , I would email support@secunia.com to see if they have a solution ; in the interim , you can always add your score , location , quotation and anything else that springs to mind in your signature .

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jan, 2010 15:08
hi Anthony

I now have all the pretty graphs on my over view page :) i had wondered where they had gone, as i haven't had them for ages, probably since last re-formatting as i don't use IE i had never bothered with IE ActiveX plug in so that explains that, thanks

I only mentioned changing browsers to see if it made a difference but i still can't even log-in using IE, i'll have to e-mail support as you suggest,

i now have my location and signature sorted out so it's just the "show all users" to straiten out

--
MS Windows XP Pro SP3
1.024GB DDR-SDRAM
Sapphire Radion X300SE
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jan, 2010 21:27
I still can't find it in my profile .. there is no setting for that.

I took a screen shot

http://i45.tinypic.com/a4vnyv.gif

--
Win 7 64bit
Intel P4 2.0a
4gb Ram
ATI Radeon X800XL 256mb
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jan, 2010 21:39
hi
@ kabo0m i tried that earlier but photobucket wasn't playing nicely so i gave up, but my page is exactly the same as yours, complete with no check box for "show other users your secunia score" ?

--
MS Windows XP Pro SP3
1.024GB DDR-SDRAM
Sapphire Radion X300SE
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 17th Jan, 2010 22:15

This is what I see with both Firefox and Chrome :-

http://picasaweb.google.com/forsecunia/ScreenCaptu...

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jan, 2010 23:16
hi
@ Anthony wells, i wont one of those please, or maybe i could just borrow yours :D

--
MS Windows XP Pro SP3
1.024GB DDR-SDRAM
Sapphire Radion X300SE
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Jan, 2010 01:51
@ Anthony

Why don't you want others to see you are in Europe and not see your Secunia score?

Not 100% maybe?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
cyrichards RE: This installation of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition is insecure and potentially exposes your system to security threats!
Member 18th Jan, 2010 19:48
User Since: 2nd Dec 2008
I had the same problem and rebooting did not solve it.

I went to the MS Update site and installed two MS Office 2003 "high priority" security updates and Secunia PSI no longer reports my Windows installation as insecure.

I had previously hidden these MS Office updates on the MS Update site because I do not run MS Office on my PC and did not think the updates were relevant.

I do have MS Viewers on my system, so perhaps that is the reason PSI complained, but I can't be sure.

HTH.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: This installation of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition is insecure and potentially exposes your system to security threats!
Handling Contributor 18th Jan, 2010 22:08
Score: 11718
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 18th Jan, 2010 22:43
That is correct. Microsoft trawls your PC for updates required from the programmes U have installed.

Very unwise to ignore them.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: This installation of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition is insecure and potentially exposes your system to security threats!
Contributor 19th Jan, 2010 07:15
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Last edited on 19th Jan, 2010 07:16
Back on topic, sort of. Whew!

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Jan, 2010 21:08
on 17th Jan, 2010 22:15, Anthony Wells wrote:
This is what I see with both Firefox and Chrome :-

http://picasaweb.google.com/forsecunia/ScreenCaptu...

That is odd .. wonder why it isn't showing (that option) for me in Firefox 3.5.7 ...

--
Win 7 64bit
Intel P4 2.0a
4gb Ram
ATI Radeon X800XL 256mb
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: This installation of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition is insecure and potentially exposes your system to security threats!
Contributor 23rd Jan, 2010 00:23
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Hi kabo0m;

Don't know if this is relevant. I see pretty much the same thing as Anthony when using IE8.

I and others suspect it has to do with PSI itself and not the browser being used.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Jan, 2010 17:27
on 23rd Jan, 2010 00:23, thedillpickl wrote:
Hi kabo0m;

Don't know if this is relevant. I see pretty much the same thing as Anthony when using IE8.

I and others suspect it has to do with PSI itself and not the browser being used.

Fred

Thx :)

--
Win 7 64bit
Intel P4 2.0a
4gb Ram
ATI Radeon X800XL 256mb
Was this reply relevant?
+0
suzy67 RE: This installation of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition is insecure and potentially exposes your system to security threats!
Member 28th Jan, 2010 07:56
User Since: 27th Jul 2009
HELLO KaboOm! Catchy name!

I was sent to this thread from YoKenny and from another thread...but, we had been discussing the same issue about some of us not being able to see or just do not have the box for "showing my Secunia score to others.." I am one of these persons-I do not have that as a choice! And I just recently received a 100% and was so proud of myself, I wanted to show it off! LOL It's really not that big of a deal, but...so does it really have to do with Flash and some Active X thing? I just recently updated Flash to the most current, so I should be ok there. But what about the Active X?

You know, I think maybe I will just get a question off to Secunia support and see what they have to say!

But, thanks for all your input!

--
Susan C. aka Suzy67

HP Pavilion 751n Desktop
Windows XP Pro/1 GB RAM-80 GB Hard Drive
Google Chrome /IE8/Opera/Firefox (all current)
ClamAV/MBAM/WinPatrol/PCTools Firewall Plus

Acer One Aspire
Windows 7 Home Edition/1GB RAM-250GB Hard Drive
Google Chrome (current Beta version) /IE9/Firefox/Opera (all current)
Microsoft Security Essentials/WinPatrol/MBAM

CR-48 Chromebook/Chrome OS/16 GB SSD-1 GB RAM/Pilot Program participant/Beta channel (current Beta version of Google Chrome browser) No need for security software-built-in
Was this reply relevant?
+0
suzy67 RE: This installation of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition is insecure and potentially exposes your system to security threats!
Member 28th Jan, 2010 08:00
User Since: 27th Jul 2009
I forgot to add in my last post and please forgive my lack of knowledge, How does one go about taking a screenshot of something? I have XP Pro...am I able to do this, too? If so, could someone instruct me on how? Many thanks...

--
Susan C. aka Suzy67

HP Pavilion 751n Desktop
Windows XP Pro/1 GB RAM-80 GB Hard Drive
Google Chrome /IE8/Opera/Firefox (all current)
ClamAV/MBAM/WinPatrol/PCTools Firewall Plus

Acer One Aspire
Windows 7 Home Edition/1GB RAM-250GB Hard Drive
Google Chrome (current Beta version) /IE9/Firefox/Opera (all current)
Microsoft Security Essentials/WinPatrol/MBAM

CR-48 Chromebook/Chrome OS/16 GB SSD-1 GB RAM/Pilot Program participant/Beta channel (current Beta version of Google Chrome browser) No need for security software-built-in
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Jan, 2010 09:49
Last edited on 28th Jan, 2010 10:00
on 28th Jan, 2010 08:00, suzy67 wrote:
I forgot to add in my last post and please forgive my lack of knowledge, How does one go about taking a screenshot of something? I have XP Pro...am I able to do this, too? If so, could someone instruct me on how? Many thanks...

Get MWSnap, screen capture utility
http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html

You need to get an account with Google for Picasa Web Albums:
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=picasa+web&btn...

Get JavaRa as it finds and removes old Java remnants:
http://raproducts.org

Make sure PSI is in ADVANCED mode then click on Insecure then Insecure Programs then look at the Installation Path of C:\Windows\System32\java.exe

Was this reply relevant?
+0
GarthP RE: This installation of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition is insecure and potentially exposes your system to security threats!
Member 30th Jan, 2010 12:29
User Since: 4th Sep 2008
Hi,

You said "just do not have the box for "showing my Secunia score to others.." I am one of these persons-I do not have that as a choice!"

I too didn't have that on my Secunia PSI Profile page, but just realised I had to go to the Forum page to change my Secunia Profile. Once there, you do get the My Settings option, and can show the score, set the timezone etc.

HTH.

--
Dell Dimension 9150; 2.8 Intel P4; 4GB RAM; Windows XP Pro SP3; Opera 10.10
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 30th Jan, 2010 13:52
Last edited on 30th Jan, 2010 14:03
Hello Susan ,

As far as I know the Flash ActiveX problem you might be referring to causes the pretty graphs , columns and pies to not display correctly in the "overview" page of PSI ; there is no connection AFAIK with that and not have the box to tick .

You can always put your score in your signature -in large heavy type :))

Here are the basics of screenshots :-

http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Screenshot-in-Micros...

For what it's worth , I use Picasa ; if it is running when I press "Prnt Scrn" it automatically uploads the screenshot , I then edit it , within Picasa , to remove incriminating evidence and upload it to my web album (limited viewing) ; I can copy/paste and post here the full (blue) url (including http://).

Hope that helps .

Anthony

PPS:Secunia don't work on PSI during the weekend

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 30th Jan, 2010 14:00
Last edited on 30th Jan, 2010 14:05
Hello GarthP ,

A useful reminder , unfortunately the tick box is missing - for some people - from "settings" in Secunia Profile at the top of this page , so I don't know if resetting one"s profile in PSI helps or not .

Perhaps someone will check it out .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability