xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Sun Java JRE 1.6 x / 6. x RREQUIRES AN UNINSTALL - Go to Add & ...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
kashzka Sun Java JRE 1.6 x / 6. x RREQUIRES AN UNINSTALL - Go to Add & Remove....
Member 15th Jan, 2010 01:59
Ranking: 0
User Since: 28th Dec, 2008
System Score: 98%
1)I see no such thing. I have 4 Java items, none of which is this. Does it appear by a different name in Control Panel?

2)Do I download a newer suggested version from Secunia before, or after deletion. 4 were mentioned...how do I know which to choose?

--
kashzka

This user no longer exists RE: Sun Java JRE 1.6 x / 6. x RREQUIRES AN UNINSTALL - Go to Add & Remove....
Member 15th Jan, 2010 09:34
on 15th Jan, 2010 01:59, kashzka wrote:
1)I see no such thing. I have 4 Java items, none of which is this. Does it appear by a different name in Control Panel?

2)Do I download a newer suggested version from Secunia before, or after deletion. 4 were mentioned...how do I know which to choose?

Hi,
The Sun Java Runtime Environment (JRE) usually appears like "Java(TM) 6 Update 17" where 6 would be your version and 17 your level of patches.
Removing this file will remove the Java Runtime environment. This happens at your own risk - the PSI never requires an uninstall, it merely warns you of missing security patches.

Java occasionally leaves traces of old installs behind. If you decide to uninstall the old version to update, do it before installing the update, and you should be good.
Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Sun Java JRE 1.6 x / 6. x RREQUIRES AN UNINSTALL - Go to Add & Remove....
Member 16th Jan, 2010 15:46
Last edited on 16th Jan, 2010 15:48 Get JavaRa as it finds and removes old Java remnants:
http://raproducts.org

Get FileHippo Update Checker to check for Java updates:
http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker

Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0.18 is current:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_java_runtime

Go to Secunia Profile then My settings and select Show my Secunia System Score to other users then Signature
Fill in this field with a signature that you want appended to every thread or post you create.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Hannagj RE: Sun Java JRE 1.6 x / 6. x RREQUIRES AN UNINSTALL - Go to Add & Remove....
Member 16th Jan, 2010 16:57
Score: 7
User Since: 19th Dec 2009
System Score: N/A
Hi Yokenny.
I've searched in the profile but i didn't see "Show my profile ".
Is something going wrong whith my installation of PSI ?
Thanks
John
Hp Pavilion DV6-Win7-64bit

--
John

HP Pavilion DV6
Win7 64bit-IE8
BitDefrender 2010 + Malwarebytes
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Jan, 2010 18:18
At the top left below Vulnerability Information you will see:
Forum Secunia Profile

Click on Secunia Profile

There you can go to My settings and select Show my Secunia System Score to other users then Signature
Fill in this field with a signature that you want appended to every thread or post you create that will show like my signature:
(unknown source)
--
1. E5200 2.5GHZ, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD, Windows 7, 64bit, 4GB RAM, avast! V5 beta3
2. P4 2.8GHZ 768MB RAM, 40GB, XP Pro SP3, 32bit, 768MB RAM, avast! V4.8 Pro
with Browser Defenderô, IE8, MBAM Full, and WinPatrol PLUS

Was this reply relevant?
+0
suzy67 RE: Sun Java JRE 1.6 x / 6. x RREQUIRES AN UNINSTALL - Go to Add & Remove....
Member 24th Jan, 2010 10:28
Score: 1
User Since: 27th Jul 2009
System Score: 100%
Dear YOKENNY:
I've heard of you through Michael from UK and Maurice Joyce. We had a thread going for a while about iTunes at first, then it went to Adobe then to Java...anyways...

I, too, was wondering how to get my system score to show to other users and I read your directions...problem is, when I went to My Profile to update, I don't see a choice there concerning the ability to 'Show my score to other users'!!! Mine jumped from the time zone right to the signature section. What's up with that? Why would mine be different or am I doing something wrong? I want to "show off" my 100% score, too!:)

--
Susan C. aka Suzy67

HP Pavilion 751n Desktop
Windows XP Pro/1 GB RAM-80 GB Hard Drive
Google Chrome /IE8/Opera/Firefox (all current)
ClamAV/MBAM/WinPatrol/PCTools Firewall Plus

Acer One Aspire
Windows 7 Home Edition/1GB RAM-250GB Hard Drive
Google Chrome (current Beta version) /IE9/Firefox/Opera (all current)
Microsoft Security Essentials/WinPatrol/MBAM

CR-48 Chromebook/Chrome OS/16 GB SSD-1 GB RAM/Pilot Program participant/Beta channel (current Beta version of Google Chrome browser) No need for security software-built-in
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Jan, 2010 10:51
Last edited on 24th Jan, 2010 11:28 Susan, getting the Secunia System Score to show up seems to have something to with the registration but I am not sure what the problem is.

I wonder if it has to do with selecting PSI Interest Professional
vs Personal that I have selected?

By the way, I open a new tab in IE then copy-n-paste the address of this topic into the address field so that I can review the whole topic easily.

Read about PC Tools AntiVirus:
http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.co...

I use avast! V5 Free and Pro that uses the same features as G DATA AntiVirus
http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.co...

Reviewed: avast! Free Antivirus 5.0:
http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/2010/01/avast...

I hate this cold damp weather here as it makes my Sciatica act up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sciatica
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Sun Java JRE 1.6 x / 6. x RREQUIRES AN UNINSTALL - Go to Add & Remove....
Expert Contributor 24th Jan, 2010 20:00
Score: 2384
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello Susan

You problem is discussed in this thread see Kaboom's and my links to screenshots (17/01/2010);-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/333...

Secunia does not seem to have advised , as yet , the reason for this problem . You could always ask support@secunia.com if they have any ideas.

You can always "brag" about your score in your signature :))

Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
irishfeat RE: Sun Java JRE 1.6 x / 6. x RREQUIRES AN UNINSTALL - Go to Add & Remove....
Member 25th Jan, 2010 12:16
Score: -8
User Since: 6th Oct 2009
Actually, if you go to the Java.com webpage, and test your Java, you'll see a new update. I just found it and it's Update 18.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
suzy67 RE: Sun Java JRE 1.6 x / 6. x RREQUIRES AN UNINSTALL - Go to Add & Remove....
Member 28th Jan, 2010 08:23
YoKenny:
I registered as a personal user, too. Did you read other posts about it having to do with Flash and an ActiveX? I am so confused now and you know, It's not all that big of a deal! LOL I know I got the 100% and that is all that counts for now!

Thanks for the link about the antivirus programs. Interesting...I am not all that pleased with PCTAV anyways...I am now thinking of using avast!. It was also recommended to me when I chose PCTAV, but for some reason, I went to PCTools first, and it seemed ok and, well, you know...

I just know that I am not paying for an antivirus program! The free ones and the ones you can get with trial pays are just fine! I follow Kim Komando and her suggestions and so far, she hasn't steered me wrong. She is who recommended Secunia PSI to me. (Ever heard of her:www.komando.com)

Hey,back to the Sun Java topic...I just recently got the current update. There are 3 other ones that I know are old (were installed back in 2003 when this computer belonged to my 27 yr old son!). Should I get rid of them now? or will something bad happen? PSI only told me one of them was outdated and I did uninstall it but left the others. They seem to be just different updates of same volume or edition. Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.0_01 and v1.4.0_03. I uninstalled v1.4.0_05 per PSI's suggestion that it was outdated. I installed Java (TM) 6 Update 18 (6.0.180). I also have something else there in my programs called Java Web Start that also was installed back in 2003. What do you think i oughta do?

Apparently, they are not a security risk. But I just want to clean out my hard drive a bit and I thought that if they weren't necessary...

--
Susan C. aka Suzy67

HP Pavilion 751n Desktop

Acer One Aspire

CR-48 Chromebook/Chrome OS/16 GB SSD-1 GB RAM/Pilot Program participant/Beta channel (current Beta version of Google Chrome browser) No need for security software-built-in
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Jan, 2010 08:24
YoKenny:
I registered as a personal user, too. Did you read other posts about it having to do with Flash and an ActiveX? I am so confused now and you know, It's not all that big of a deal! LOL I know I got the 100% and that is all that counts for now!

Thanks for the link about the antivirus programs. Interesting...I am not all that pleased with PCTAV anyways...I am now thinking of using avast!. It was also recommended to me when I chose PCTAV, but for some reason, I went to PCTools first, and it seemed ok and, well, you know...

I just know that I am not paying for an antivirus program! The free ones and the ones you can get with trial pays are just fine! I follow Kim Komando and her suggestions and so far, she hasn't steered me wrong. She is who recommended Secunia PSI to me. (Ever heard of her:www.komando.com)

Hey,back to the Sun Java topic...I just recently got the current update. There are 3 other ones that I know are old (were installed back in 2003 when this computer belonged to my 27 yr old son!). Should I get rid of them now? or will something bad happen? PSI only told me one of them was outdated and I did uninstall it but left the others. They seem to be just different updates of same volume or edition. Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.0_01 and v1.4.0_03. I uninstalled v1.4.0_05 per PSI's suggestion that it was outdated. I installed Java (TM) 6 Update 18 (6.0.180). I also have something else there in my programs called Java Web Start that also was installed back in 2003. What do you think i oughta do?

Apparently, they are not a security risk. But I just want to clean out my hard drive a bit and I thought that if they weren't necessary...

--
Susan C. aka Suzy67

HP Pavilion 751n Desktop

Acer One Aspire

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Factsheets
Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability