Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: IE8 - german government advice not to use it

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

This thread has been marked as resolved.
taffy078 IE8 - german government advice not to use it
Contributor 17th Jan, 2010 08:19
Ranking: 408
User Since: 26th Feb, 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 17th Jan, 2010 08:49

So now the german government has recommended not to use IE8, will any of the experts here follow that advice and use another browser?

According to the BBC article - link below - what's made this worse now is that details of the vulnerability have been posted on the internet.
Will setting the security zone to 'high' really cause problems accessing "normal" sites?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8463516.stm

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003

Post "RE: IE8 - german government advice not to use it" has been selected as an answer.
taffy078 RE: IE8 - german government advice not to use it
Contributor 17th Jan, 2010 08:32
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
I've just set my IE8 security zone to High and it does affect access to sites e.g.
(1) no immediate "rolling news updates" on the BBC site. That's great news!
(2) I can't sign on to my local newspaper's forum because Javascript has been affected/blocked by the High security Zone. Guess I'll use Firefox for that site.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: IE8 - german government advice not to use it
Handling Contributor 17th Jan, 2010 11:54
Score: 11720
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
System Score: N/A
There has been much hype on this. At the end of the day I think all will see that it is part of the ongoing spat between China & Google.

The latest advice from Microsoft which is not disputed by security "Grandee" Companies is:

Thomas Baumgaertner, a Microsoft spokesman in Germany, said that the attacks on Google were by highly motivated people with a very specific agenda.

"These were not attacks against general users or consumers," Baumgaertner said. "There is no threat to the general user."

On that basis my settings remain at custom & I intend carrying on regardless.

All the snow gone in the dales? Sunny in the South - BarBQ day here!

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
ddmarshall RE: IE8 - german government advice not to use it
Dedicated Contributor 17th Jan, 2010 13:50
Score: 1208
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
Microsoft's analysis of the risk is available here:

http://blogs.technet.com/srd/archive/2010/01/15/as...

This should allow you to decide if you want to take the risk. You have to be tricked to navigate to an infected site. If you have no reason to use Internet Explorer, stick to Firefox etc. to browse sites you don't trust.

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 18th Jan, 2010 20:01
Thank you Maurice. I have reset my IE8 security zone to whatever it was before (medium/high?).

Today, at last, 95% of the ice has gone from our close, thanks to an overnight thaw. Our council (= local authority) made no attempt to clear the snow, which eventually became at one stage 6" of fresh snow on top of 3" of compacted snow on top of 3" of ice! = couldn't get to work/no public transport.

To our American & Canadian friends, yes I do watch Ice Road Truckers and know we're lucky. Scotland had it really bad, too.

It was 6oC this morning at 6 am - felt like the kalha-kalar - - BLAST! Sahara desert!

But wait until Wednesday, Maurice!!! More on the way! Put your BBQ away!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 18th Jan, 2010 20:02
Thank you ddmarshall for your help, too

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: IE8 - german government advice not to use it
Expert Contributor 18th Jan, 2010 20:20
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 18th Jan, 2010 20:23
Hello Taffy ,

60C sound hot even for the Kalahari - do you have your own Welsh/Yorkshire version of Global Warming/Climate Change or what ??

Keep cool
Anthony

PS: the French are concerned as well :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8465038.stm

Ditto Secunia's SA 38209

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Contributor 18th Jan, 2010 20:25
LOL, Anthony.I meant to say 6 degrees C but didn't know how to get the o up in the air!

By the way, BT Yahoo timed your message at 19:27. Are you in a different time zone? ;0)

Oops what's happened? I must have right clicked and pasted the below. It's for MOGS. (I hope I won't get banned for this!)

The only cow in a small town in Scotland stopped giving
milk.
The town folk found they could buy a cow in Wales quite
cheaply.
They brought the cow from Wales and it was wonderful,
produced lots of milk every day and everyone was happy.
They bought a bull to mate with the cow to get more cows, so They'd never have to worry about their milk supply again.
They put the bull in the pasture with the cow but whenever the bull tried to mount the cow, the cow would move away. No matter what approach the bull tried, the cow would move away from the bull and he was never able to do the deed..
The people were very upset and decided to go the Vet, who was very wise, tell him what was happening and ask his advice.
"Whenever the bull tries to mount our cow, she moves away. If he approaches from the back, she moves forward, they said, When he approaches her from the front, she backs off. If he attempts from the one side, she walks away to the other side.
"The Vet rubbed his chin thoughtfully and pondered this
before asking,
"Did you by chance, buy this cow in Wales ?"
The people were dumbfounded, since no one had ever mentioned that they had brought the cow over from Wales .
"You are truly a wise Vet," they said.
"How did you know we got the cow from Wales ?
"The Vet replied with a distant look in his eye,
"My wife is from Wales "

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Jan, 2010 22:55
Last edited on 18th Jan, 2010 22:56
Yeah , that's a bit off topic , Taffy , but as I did my degree in Agriculture at Edinburgh University & have several vet friends from my time there , at least my Welsh half can excuse you . It's your thread anyway !!

France is one hour ahead of you , hence Yahoo's time warp.

I get the ° from the top line of my keyboard where you get numbers if you use the capital thingy ; it's after the 0 and before the + (bear in mind my Keyboard speaks French , so I'm translating :))

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+3
mogs RE: IE8 - german government advice not to use it
Expert Contributor 18th Jan, 2010 23:32
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
I don't think you should get banned for your little witty ditty...the less shocking it is, the more difficult to follow ?! There must be lots of such
"fables" do the rounds in Herriot country ? There again, I don't know the reading age of a Secunia user ! Where to draw the line ? Self regulation..no question ? Or an adventurous Explorer ?!!
Be safe.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: IE8 - german government advice not to use it
Contributor 19th Jan, 2010 06:31
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Hi all;

I should be the last to say anything, how did you get from Germany putting the kibosh on IE8 to the antics of bovine breeding stock? Anyhow, I'm sure this thread will be gone before morning. Secunia should have an "after hours" forum for all the fun people.

@Taffy, if you want the ° thingy and don't have it on your keyboard just copy & paste from Anthonys post as I did. Those lucky French, they have a ° on their keyboards, brie cheese and grilled snails. On the up side, they do know how to make a tasty wine.

BTW, 54°F, 12°C here Monday (I'm having fun with the ° thingy), snow's gone!

°° ° ° ° °° °
° ° °° ° ° ° °
° ° ° ° ° °° ° °

They are like little Champagne bubbles!!!

Ta;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th Jan, 2010 09:22
Or the cold has left Scotland's High and Low road full of holes ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: IE8 - german government advice not to use it
Member 19th Jan, 2010 10:24
on 18th Jan, 2010 20:25, taffy078 wrote:

Oops what's happened? I must have right clicked and pasted the below. It's for MOGS. (I hope I won't get banned for this!)

on 19th Jan, 2010 06:31, thedillpickl wrote:

Anyhow, I'm sure this thread will be gone before morning. Secunia should have an "after hours" forum for all the fun people.

Hi,
generally, we won't remove users or delete posts/threads unless it's obviously intended as spam. Users going off topic naturally cluster a thread up a bit, but unless you post spam or otherwise cause problems for the community you shouldn't worry (though we may occasionally remove double posts and the like).
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th Jan, 2010 11:07
Having once visited Denmark in the 1960's and experienced some aspects of it's broadminded culture at that time:( in a military capacity tho'; so lots of time was spent at sub-zero teperatures in a fox hole!): I'd have been rather surprised if the official reaction had been anything other than engagingly liberal !!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 19th Jan, 2010 19:53
I'm a quick learner, despite the heat here this morning - it was 7°C!!
Sorry Anthony but where you have a ° I have a _!

Anthony/Fred/emil/MOGS - you've made my day - after all the blasted snow, ice & incompetent local authority, I needed this light relief! LOL!

Now: back on-thread.

Now the french government has recommended not to use IE8, will any of the experts here follow that advice and use another browser?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8465038.stm

SORRY - only joking but a real piece of news from France. Anthony - over to you to give them the correct info!

My short time here tonight is much appreciated. :0))
[Used to be :0) but then Christmas/New Year excesses resulted in a double )!!] Bye.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Jan, 2010 00:32
I agree with what Maurice Joyce said on 17th Jan, 2010 11:54 and the following:

France joins Germany warning against Internet Explorer
(unknown source)
But Microsoft told BBC News that IE8 was the "most secure browser on the market" and people should upgrade.

Cliff Evans, head of security and privacy, said that so far the firm had only seen malicious code that targeted the older version of its browser, IE6.

"The risk is minimal," he said.

For a web user to be affected, he said, they would have to be using IE6 and visit a compromised website.

"There are very few of them out there," he told BBC News.

Tempest in a teapot
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/tempest-in-a-te...
http://unrepentantoldhippie.files.wordpress.com/20...

Its 3°C. Humidity 80% so it feels like Spring.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 21st Jan, 2010 04:17
Last edited on 21st Jan, 2010 04:27
Hi all;

The following is from the BBC News that Taffy supplied a link to in her post above.

"Mr Cluley (of the security firm Sophos) said that because details of the exploit were now available online, hackers could soon change the code to target other versions of the browser (IE).

He warned web users to be careful about clicking on links in unsolicited e-mails..."

The words in bold type are very important. Don't click on links or anything else, for that matter, in an unsolicited e-mail and stay away from unsafe sites. You should be fine, whatever browser you may use. That is, assuming you have the normal security software in place, a firewall and use PSI or similar to keep software updated. Remember, if you poke a pile of poo with a stick, stuff happens.

@Taffy, glad you have an ° now. Is Mogs correct or I (potholes or Champagne bubbles)?

As far as my browser of choice, I have looked at Firefox and found it to be very impressive. However it is a bit complex and way more than I require to accomplish my tasks. Personally, I preferred IE7 over IE8 for much the same reason, but don't want the bother of going back to IE7. Why MS likes to clutter things up is beyond me. Until something else changes my mind I'll stick with IE8.

@YoKenny, a little Spring would be a nice change, wouldn't it? Glad to hear your not still frozen solid!

Mr. Cliff Evans is a MS employee (r. Taffy's link to BBC article), of course he will say IE8 is the most secure. Would you expect him to say otherwise? I don't want to be disagreeable, I simply believe it's not just a question of whose browser is most secure (and for what vulnerablity).

There is Flash Player, Java, Google, Facebook, Twitter, et al. The problem as I see it (and I may be wrong) is that MS and their cohorts have ticked off these hackers for whatever reason, and they have been doing it for years. There have been "bugs" downloaded onto computers since before the internet was available to anyone outside the scientific community, mostly by way of freeware disks and bootleg copys of pay for use programs back then. Those bugs were annoying, the stuff nowadays is dangerous (e.g. identity theft, etc.). The worst hole is in the MS OS, whatever flavor you use. Unless MS radically changes that (not likely, maybe not possible) this will continue. After all that, as I told Taffy, until something changes, IE8 is good enough for me.

@all, enjoying this thread, especially glad Secunia is allowing it. Extremely pleased that PSI is provided to us free of charge. Meanwhile, keep your head down!

Yours;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Jan, 2010 08:33
(unknown source)
Microsoft will issue emergency IE patch on Thursday
By Dan Goodin in San Francisco

Updated A rare emergency update from Microsoft to patch a critical vulnerability in Internet Explorer will be released on Thursday.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/20/microsoft_...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Jan, 2010 08:44
Patch to be issued at 1000hrs today: read on MS Security site.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 21st Jan, 2010 10:40
on 21st Jan, 2010 08:44, mogs wrote:
Patch to be issued at 1000hrs today: read on MS Security site.

That's 10:00 a.m. PST, 1:00 p.m. EST, 6:00 p.m. GMT approximatly
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Jan, 2010 17:40
Last edited on 21st Jan, 2010 21:36
Just got in from work....checked updates....should have read your message first !! Thanks Yokenny !
2035hrs...got the cumulative update....rescanned...IE8 still showing as insecure.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 21st Jan, 2010 20:14
Update now available since 18:00 GMT

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Jan, 2010 23:33
Last edited on 22nd Jan, 2010 00:26
on 21st Jan, 2010 17:40, mogs wrote:
Just got in from work....checked updates....should have read your message first !! Thanks Yokenny !
2035hrs...got the cumulative update....rescanned...IE8 still showing as insecure.

Secunia PSI has to update their scanning rules as something does not match what I see?

Most Critical Unpatched
The most severe unpatched Secunia advisory affecting Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.x, with all vendor patches applied, is rated Less critical
http://secunia.com/advisories/product/21625/?task=...

No browser is 100% safe and Secunia knows that and gives IE8 an unsafe rating:

This installation of Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.x (64-bit) was detected as being patched.

The Secunia PSI has not detected any missing security related patches for this program. No further actions are currently needed.

http://secunia.com/advisories/38209

A good read:
Some Observations on Rootkits:
http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archive/2010/01/07/s...
(unknown source)
Parting thoughts

We expect that malware authors will continue to seek ways to fly under the radar, just as we will continue to evolve our protection technologies to stay one step ahead of the bad guys. Regardless, here are a couple tips to avoid getting hit by a rootkit:

Keep real-time protection enabled
while running up-to-date antimalware software is essential, it does little good if you turn off the real-time protection feature. If you lower your defenses and a rootkit does get through, finding and removing it can be a tricky endeavor. Keep your defenses up and you're much less likely to have headaches down the road.

Run 64-bit Windows
for the time being, it appears that currently, users running 64 bit Windows are less likely to be compromised by rootkits. While the threat landscape is constantly evolving, for now you can breathe a lot easier if you're running 64-bit Windows. If you have a choice, go with 64-bit.

A good Layered Defense approach is necessary with real time protection:
1. An up to date anti virus application like avast! V5
2. An up to date anti malware application like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM)
3. An up to date system monitor like WinPatrol
4. An up to date view of system security by reading the Internet Security reviews with Google
5. Have lots of TUMS handy as a lot of that information can cause indigesion:
http://www.tums.com

This communication is using Drupal and is so text based vs a Forum using SMF for example that is so much more friendly and easy to navigate:

e.g.:
http://gallery.menalto.com/forum
http://forum.avast.com/index.php

(unknown source)
What is SMF?

Simple Machines Forum — SMF in short — is a free, professional grade software package that allows you to set up your own online community within minutes
http://www.simplemachines.org
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 22nd Jan, 2010 02:25
Last edited on 22nd Jan, 2010 02:26
@YoKenny, thanks, I/we appreciate the heads up about IE8 update and all the links to info.

@all, after updating IE8, I find Secunia reports a catagory 2 threat. SA24314 indicates "Successful exploitation requires that the user is tricked into visiting a malicious web site.". My memory occasionally fails me, isn't that better than it's been for a long time? Anyhoo, it seems this round is over.

My best;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Jan, 2010 07:54
on 22nd Jan, 2010 02:25, thedillpickl wrote:
@YoKenny, thanks, I/we appreciate the heads up about IE8 update and all the links to info.

@all, after updating IE8, I find Secunia reports a catagory 2 threat. SA24314 indicates "Successful exploitation requires that the user is tricked into visiting a malicious web site.". My memory occasionally fails me, isn't that better than it's been for a long time? Anyhoo, it seems this round is over.

My best;

Fred

Before I went to work yesterday morning, I read the posts: I thought I saw something 'bout "big boy's meals " in one of your's. A few other matters 'bout GB or UK etc. Is my memory serving me well ? I can't seem to find the points....have they been edited out ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 22nd Jan, 2010 09:13
Today's Patch installed so I ran a secunia scan - it still says IE8 is 'insecure - no solution' but that's no worse than before.
SAdly,running the scan has also showed that blasted Adobe Shockwave 11.5.2.606 needs replacing - Adobe Shockwave Player version 11.5.6.606.

Get ready for lots of posts in the Adobe section!
Perhaps they're already there - I'll take a peek.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Jan, 2010 12:13
@MOGS ,

Fred's comments are (still) here (unfortunately :(() :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/329...

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Expert Contributor 22nd Jan, 2010 12:22
Last edited on 22nd Jan, 2010 12:24
Hello Taffy ,

No panic .

If you go here and click on "get adobe shockwave player" :-

http://www.adobe.com/

it takes you here :-

http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/

click and save the (slim version using Firefox - installs NPAPI and ActiveX) installer , close your browsers and run it ; the new will the replace the old :))

Take care
Anthony

PS : Firefox 3.6 has just been released ; if you check for updates in the FF "help" menu , it will also tell you which of your add-ons will work , before you finalise the installation :)

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+5
Dedicated Contributor 22nd Jan, 2010 12:23
@taffy078

The Adobe advisory says you should uninstall Shockwave, reboot and reinstall it. That should cause some confusion.

http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/ap...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Jan, 2010 12:30

Better safe than sorry , follow Adobe's advice if you don't know what you are doing or how to rectify your mistakes :))

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 22nd Jan, 2010 17:20
AOK - shockwave updated. I've even pointed a newbie towards a solution
(http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/338...)

No doubt there'll be more!
Anthony - I've read the massive FlashPlayer 10x thread (http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/313...).
Some great humour in addition to all the help and advice. But what's the "man behind the curtain" handle you've been given? :0)

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
meintower RE: IE8 - german government advice not to use it
Member 22nd Jan, 2010 18:03
Score: 0
User Since: 18th Feb 2009
Last edited on 22nd Jan, 2010 18:04
on 19th Jan, 2010 10:24, wrote:
Hi,
generally, we won't remove users or delete posts/threads unless it's obviously intended as spam. Users going off topic naturally cluster a thread up a bit, but unless you post spam or otherwise cause problems for the community you shouldn't worry (though we may occasionally remove double posts and the like).

That's The Secunia spirit!...But wouldn't it be nice for this forum to have a "miscellanea"section?Something to refresh the overheated brains after heavy technical debates or Adobe induced sorrows?!Please,consider this!

--
meintower
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Jan, 2010 18:03

Hi Taffy ,

Just Fred's weird sense(?) of humour , as the man behind the curtain refers to the Wizard of Oz and we had just joined Myohana's thread from Australia (still ongoing):-

But I'm guessing , you never know with Fred :))

FWIW when I use Firefox to download the two types of Adobe (NPAPI and/or ActiveX) installers , it usually stops or warns and lets you stop the "extras" so generously offered.

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 23rd Jan, 2010 01:26
Hi all;

@Mogs, after church I often stop at a local restaurant for lunch. Their "Big Boy" breakfast (served until 3:30p) has three eggs, two sausages, two strips bacon, two slices toast or biscuit and two pancakes! Burrrp. It makes me sleepy all afternoon.

As far as GB or UK etc., perhaps you can enlighten me. Is England the country you live in and it's in the United Kingdom which consists of the British Isles? All that is confusing to us on the left side of the pond.

@The Man behind the curtain, if I went around removing old stupid posts I wouldn't have time to write new stupid posts, now would I?

BTW, good job, relating to Gaye and helping her get her feet wet on the Foxit Reader thread. Also I suppose "wee" dosn't mean early morning in French.

@Taffy, also a good job helping on the Adobe thread. You are now a pro!

The joke is, the little guy pulling levers & pushing pedals actually was the wizard, he just wanted to scare/impress Dorthy & crew by appearing bigger than life. Also, The Man behind the curtain wears red shorts when he plays in his sandebox!

@meintower, you wrote "That's The Secunia spirit!...But wouldn't it be nice for this forum to have a "miscellanea"section?" to which I answer yes! I suppose I'm just lucky Secunia and all of you tolerate me.

Yours;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 23rd Jan, 2010 02:54
I know this is two post in a row but... Check out this thread http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/226... , start reading at the post by meintower on 1st Jan, 2010 12:46.

I thought we were the only ones!

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Jan, 2010 08:44
on 22nd Jan, 2010 12:13, Anthony Wells wrote:
@MOGS ,

Fred's comments are (still) here (unfortunately :(() :-

Anthony

Thanks Anthony.....read it again....I've made up my mind....I hope I'm not a source of negativity, illiteracy, and division !!!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Jan, 2010 12:14
Last edited on 23rd Jan, 2010 12:30
Hello MOGS ,

You'll be fine unless you try to explain to Fred the intricacies of England , Wales , Scotland , Northern Ireland , Ireland (aka Eire or vice versa) , Great Britain , the UK and the British Isles ; whilst not forgetting British citizen , British subject , the British and Irish Lions , the Barbarians and the (now) 6N !!

Oh and don't get into "wee" ; it may be some non-French , Scottish , geriatric fall out as a result of the two HAl's eating Fred's old Atari , but again I'm guessing :))

Take care
Anthony

PS : your indicated Beta version of Chrome is now the latest "stable" version :à)

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Jan, 2010 14:42
Fred
Re: The Man behind the curtain reference to The Wizard of Oz

I liked Zardoz staring Sean Connery and Charlotte Rampling:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zardoz

[/i]Decades later, Channel 4 called it "Boorman's finest film" and a "wonderfully eccentric and visually exciting sci-fi quest" that "deserves reappraisal."[/i]

I don't think you are like the Zardoz god in any way.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Jan, 2010 15:42
Hello Anthony....I've already attempted trying to answer: I was feeling "squeezed" when trying to condense our "differences" into one paragraph, whilst at the same time maintaining a peace-keeping stance in not wanting to offend those of different backgrounds ! Never mind changing attitudes to changing fashions and cloaking or clothing!
Then I thought....well....you write tomato and I write potato....maybe we don't accentuate the positive aspects enough ? A page, and too many might feel "stretched"?! When I speak I'm not highly polished nor the roughest tongued I know......Anyrate, I've since deleted it....a form of self- censorship ? Maybe I'm not courageous enough? It's the wrong place, but the right time? After the war.......a personal sense of security I began with?!
As long as I've got one American friend I'm not an island ?!
There's not always an ocean between us.....how we doin' dillpickl ?!
Alias.....another?! Made in Britain ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Jan, 2010 16:49
Last edited on 23rd Jan, 2010 17:41
MOGS ,

You could say that the first five are recognised (at the moment) as separate "countries" ; the first three are GB (the big island) ; the first four are the (supposedly) United Kingdom and they/we all are found in the British Isles .

Brtish citizen - used to be a British subject (of the Queen) - and is what you are called by your UK passport .

I'll leave the best and the last three to you ; Fred's a big Rugby fan :)) You could throw in Roses (red and white), Daffodils and Leeks , Thistles and Shamrocks and maybe Owen of Glendower (Owain Glyndwr) or Cymru to finish him off*** .

Take care
Anthony

*** not forgetting the leprechauns :))

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 23rd Jan, 2010 18:28
lol!

And I'm sat here wearing a sports shirt that proudly says "Brains SA".

Only MOGS will get that one.

Thank Anthony re "man behind the curtain". Perhaps you need to pull yourself together? !
Yes meintower - let's have a Relaxing/Beach Boys-style area.

Please - pretty please, Secunia!! ;0)

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Jan, 2010 19:07

Yes taffy......Black Lion, Llandaff....is the teeshirt high viz for the Dark?!
I think I'm just gonna tell Fred that the Indian Nations were simpler!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Jan, 2010 19:42
Last edited on 23rd Jan, 2010 19:49
Hi Taffy ,

Before I draw to a conclusion , you forget that my mum was Welsh and Gareth , Barry , John , Ray , JPR , JJ , Gerald , etc were her boys and her heroes and revered in our house ; so the colour of your sports shirt is a no brainer :)) Which year is it ??

I think MOGS is going on the warpath a bit , don't you ?

Anthony (aka Mister Red Shorts)

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Jan, 2010 19:54
on 23rd Jan, 2010 16:49, Anthony Wells wrote:
MOGS ,

You could say that the first five are recognised (at the moment) as separate "countries" ; the first three are GB (the big island) ; the first four are the (supposedly) United Kingdom and they/we all are found in the British Isles .

Brtish citizen - used to be a British subject (of the Queen) - and is what you are called by your UK passport .

I'll leave the best and the last three to you ; Fred's a big Rugby fan :)) You could throw in Roses (red and white), Daffodils and Leeks , Thistles and Shamrocks and maybe Owen of Glendower (Owain Glyndwr) or Cymru to finish him off*** .

Take care
Anthony

*** not forgetting the leprechauns :))

How about if I "say" we're like a ship with many vying for captaincy that's lost a king pin somewhere?! No?! The Queen is the one that keeps us down to Earth?! We're much too tolerant of non-violent demonstration and Acts of rebelliousness or incredible ignorance? In trying to find the peace everywhere else we're tending to drift ?! My liver and kidneys aren't suffering and my heart's not always in bits ?!A coalition has got to be healthier ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Jan, 2010 20:28
Last edited on 23rd Jan, 2010 20:37
MOGS ,

This Forum so far has avoided (in)direct political inference , which I ,for one , welcome .

Sticking to violent sports , beer and wine and a bit of bull , plus Fred's dubious sense of humour which , I believe he uses to hijack threads (the devil finds work for idle hands - but let's keep off religion as well) - is what has got us here in the first place !!

AS Secunia are off until Monday and can intervene , I blame ... the thread owner for telling dubious jokes and Fred ditto :((

Go for it - preferably with something that our feminine company might appreciate :))
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Jan, 2010 21:49
I think I know what you mean Anthony:the older ships were more romantic perhaps? Whether piracy these days is deemed sometimes romantic?! A sense of security/awareness........the future?! Masculine and feminine browsers?! I don't mind keeping my creed to myself ! Nor politics is always foxy?!
You don't always see a silver ear-ring ?!
My Chrome version has been updated.....thanks for noticing earlier.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 23rd Jan, 2010 21:54
Last edited on 23rd Jan, 2010 22:02
Hi all;

Geez, you have been busy typing whilst I've played the morning away. I must say, even though I do enjoy a bit of attention, I'm embarrassed. It seems that I have started a war with Mogs & made the Man behind the curtain a topic on two continents.

@Mogs, missed your explanation of the UK, sorry you felt you had to remove it. I find it hard to believe a kind hearted soul such as you would have any but the best of intentions.

It's usually governments and malicious instigators that muck things up. Enough said.

Yes Mogs, you have at least one friend over here :) , possibly more friend than you know.

@YoKenny, while Anthony remains the Man behind the curtain, I do bear a striking resemblance to Zardoz when I grow a beard.

@Anthony, if you'd please note: While I have on several occasions made humorous remarks, I have yet to actually "tell" a joke. But since you ask...

A grasshopper went into a bar and sat down. The bartender said, "What would you like?", to which the grasshopper replied, "I don't know, I've never been in a bar before. What do you serve?" The bartender handed him a list of the drinks that he could make and said, "Believe it or not, we even have a drink named for you!". The grasshopper looked at him, shocked and blurted out, "You have a drink named GEORGE?!?".

Note please: A "bar" is the same as a tavern; a grasshopper, besides the insect, is also a drink (r. http://www.drinksmixer.com/cat/315/ ).

enjoy;

Fred

p.s. It would shock me if you haven't heard that one, it's older than I am.

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Jan, 2010 22:44

Fred ,

You've been hiding your light about your role in Zardoz :-

http://picasaweb.google.com/forsecunia/Fred#543005...

Anthony

PS : a good old joke from George the "glassthopper" , were you in that TV series as well .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 23rd Jan, 2010 23:03
@Anthony, you might notice I had the common sense to wear the heavy duty suspenders, to keep my red shorts up, while performing action shots! And yes, me & George go way back.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Jan, 2010 23:13
Last edited on 23rd Jan, 2010 23:17
Fred ,

Belt and braces for me too , you never know who can get in your sandbox .

My regards to George ; if you see him before I do tell him to buy you a drink and put it on my tab - the patched one has more in it . The gorilla and the white horse send their regards to you both :)

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 24th Jan, 2010 00:14
"Evening" Fred ! No you havn't started a war with me!! Your input may have provoked a few thoughts...nourishment of the Soul....sometimes a waking experience ?! I can still write quite straight with a pen and ink tho' I never made a study of hand-written encryption !!"Is that relevant " you might say....what gets on who's nerves(?): where does it really show up? I'm not on the critical list in the Wars of the Roses! I don't do much with films,art,games nor music:( not that I never have); I'm sorry too; tho' I'm not always severe with my own words. Progress...ever onwards...stick to the thread....use of devices and tools....impossible dream....I've found some technological harmony!!!
Thankyou for being a friend Fred.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 24th Jan, 2010 09:06
as a fairly new "independent" poster, may I say that imho there's no 'war'! Some stirring, perhaps, but nothing nasty!
You really are a great lot.Not only do you always sort out my PC problems but the banter is so humorous.
I do think that the owner of this thread should be banned though, for trying to inject some humour.
Oops, that's me!
I was delighted to get Secunia's official 'blessing' earlier. If you'd like to see a humour room here, why not post more jokes today and then see what happens on Monday. I'm sure Secunia won't be upset.
For newcomers, remember that you are making progress if each mistake is a new one.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Jan, 2010 10:21
Last edited on 24th Jan, 2010 10:34 I am from the Groucho Markx school of thought.
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/ga/ul...

A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five
I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members.
Getting older is no problem. You just have to live long enough.
I intend to live forever, or die trying.

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/g/grouch...

(unknown source)
For newcomers, remember that you are making progress if each mistake is a new one.

Albert Einstein contributed to my education
http://www.deism.com/images/einfun.jpg
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Albert_Einste...

Now let's see if we can figure out how to get to see your Secunia System Score.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 24th Jan, 2010 19:49

George (the glassthopper) , John (the Gorilla) , Norman (the Scottish whisky drinking white horse) and I relate well to W.C.Fields ;-

"It was a woman who drove me to drink , and I never had the courtesy to thank her for it ."

Not forgetting Henny Youngman ;-

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

BTW my "war" comment was about MOGS being "on the warpath" and was referring to the "Indian
Nations" ; anyway a "Calumet" and a glass of bubbly *** to you all .

°°°°° to Fred !!! to Taffy , I guess .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 24th Jan, 2010 21:04
Evening taff!
I've been "working" on my son in law's 18month old laptop today. No obvious signs of suffering from 3months neglect....but it has been a bit of an awakener to me....how quickly these things can go downhill. Consequently, I've not replied sooner.
On a lighter note....maybe champagne bubbles,jokes, lighter airs, so on and so forth, are best not confined to a kind of gas chamber ? Interspersed 'tween other more serious matters....we're not so likely to lift off in the same basket?!
There's often sadness in the background of a comedian's or comedienne's life.....but the show somehow goes on? Just like that, but I really liked Tommy Cooper !!!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 24th Jan, 2010 21:48
Last edited on 24th Jan, 2010 21:49
Hi MOGS. Great weekend for Welsh sport - Cardiff City beat Leicester in the FA cup, Cardiff Blues (RUFC) beat Harlequins and the Ospreys beat Leicester Tigers (RUFC), after Leicester said they would "stuff the Welsh All Stars".
Sorry peeps - if you're not UK, you probably haven't got a clue what I'm talking about. If you are UK, probably the same! I'm hoping my better half washes my Welsh RU shirt (latest design - a Christmas present) so I can wear it to the office this week!
6th February - England v. Wales (rugby union) - in 3D in cinemas. Wow!
Sorry. I shouldn't get excited at my age (30+!!).

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 24th Jan, 2010 22:30
Believe it or not, my father used to play for the Bluebirds, and then turned pro and went with others and the manager to the Canaries ! It's a very old story: a now vague claim to fame, as he never passed any talent or the ball to my feet !! I liked tennis when Borge was playin': Muhammed and his poetry!! I seem to lose interest quickly once they pack it in...but the stars aren't always a fadin'. I'm not keen on a white shirt 'n tie either....we'll just have to wait n' see ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 24th Jan, 2010 22:35
Last edited on 24th Jan, 2010 22:39
I'm siding with you there MOGS , humour (like Joy) should be unconfined ; a occasional flash of true wit to brighten the day rather than smoke laden weak whimsy clogging the ether .

PS : exception , I'm McEnroe and Nastasie rather than Borg or Lendl - and of course the sublime R.Federer not Nadal.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 25th Jan, 2010 02:47
Last edited on 25th Jan, 2010 02:57
@ Mogs, :)

@ YoKenny, I like what Mae West the actress said, "When I'm good, I'm very good. When I'm bad, I'm better.".

@ Taffy, not sure wether Secunia gave a "blessing" or failed to give a "curse". We shall see if this is here Monday for you to read! If not there is always next weekend.

@ Anthony, George says hi. As to our antics, C'est La Vie. BTW, that translates into hillbilly thusly, "what th' heck". That would be with a passive acceptance inflection and not one of shock or suprise. Hope you don't mind but you inspired me to learn some French phrases.

@ all, I'm not sure if this is appropriate, but thank you all for reminding me that people are good, generally speaking!

my best,

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jan, 2010 15:06
@ Fred

Today I am blessed with weather that taffy078 and MOGS should be used to with 6.2°C at 86% humidity with rain.

Reminds me of On Ilkley Moore Bar T'at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7rCzFCewxk

Check out Monty Python - Four Yorkshiremen
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 25th Jan, 2010 16:25
Last edited on 25th Jan, 2010 16:35
C'est bon , Fred ,

Bonne nuit means "Goodnight" in English , but sounds (to the uneducated ear) like bon_wee !!

Maurice Joyce's use of "wee" was from the Scottish adjectival usage meaning small , as in the "wee small hours of the morning" - even if tautological ; of course the noun and verb usage is known to children of all ages as to why your bladder does or doesn't wake you up in the wee small hours :))

"Evening" à la MOGS is Bon Soir and sounds like bon_swah .

Prends soin de toi
Anthony

PS: the actual French names for the Dandelion plant are "dent-de-lion" and "pissenlit" !!

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 25th Jan, 2010 19:38
LOL. ;0)
You're all mad, except moi and of course the excrutiatingly wonderful Secunia team for not deleting us! We'd walk over broken glass and hot ashes for you Secunia guys.
Errmmm - perhaps that's over the top but we do love you!!!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 25th Jan, 2010 22:06
Anthony..humour..good taste? It's got to be Ustinov! International..but somehow I can't see him having played tennis.
Fred...there's no bad nor foul language on this site ? "Over here" tho', a slang word for it, is sometimes "French"!
Yokenny...Two degrees C in Cardiff today...Hammersmith was warmer...just a few minutes out of the cab !
taffy....I see you're getting a capital T in some place!
On, over, or between the lines ?!
When I'm good, I'm ne'er using quotes of those who made it to summit ?!
The spirit of Secunia? Security need not always be so tight ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 26th Jan, 2010 04:23
Last edited on 26th Jan, 2010 04:30
Gee Wiz kids, let's all start using French. It either confuses Secunia monitors or amuses them! God bless 'em though!!!

@YoKenny, beat that here, light dusting of snow this morning, just above freezing today, high humidity, wind up to 40 mph gusts. Burrr!

@Anthony, I don't care, he still said "wee". Just because I didn't attend any language classes at a school of higher learning, humphf! Personally, I think the only reason I graduated high school was they wanted to get rid of me.

@Taffy, mad? Emmm, yes sometimes the line between madness & genius is a bit blurred. Are you sure you're not a bit touched? You started this mess after all.

@Mogs, we too refer to the use of expletives by saying, "Pardon my French"!

Another notable quote: René Descartes, philosopher, mathematician stated, "Cogito, ergo sum", which loosely translated is "I think, therefore I am". Further translation into my local tounge (northern Ozarks) would be "I thunk, theerfur I is". Words to live by.

bye;

Fred

p.s. Anthony, I did take a few "different" evening classes at a local college. My philosophy teacher, Dr. Baird, told me that one.

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 26th Jan, 2010 10:01
I do write, therefore I'm some kind of writer. Sometimes I'll think more than twice...we're not living in Paradise...I've other more vital considerations perhaps: it's not my intention to mislead anybody...to rhyme and reason, I'm not always a stranger ?! There's wisdom in Chinese proverbs too. I think I've got the freedom to think....when I was a child more of it I could most definately utter !!!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 26th Jan, 2010 18:27
Last edited on 26th Jan, 2010 18:30
Hi Fred and all you other philosophers and poets ,

I too have done my share of study and reading of the (great) Philosophers ; when it all gets too heavy and tiring , like Yokenny , I recharge with Monty Python :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQycQ8DABvc

http://www.metrolyrics.com/the-philosophers-song-l...

Anthony :))

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Jan, 2010 13:12
I also like to attribute much of my education to this fellow who sang this ditty http://www.lyricstime.com/st-vincent-what-me-worry...

and looked like http://www.leconcombre.com/concpost/fr/postcard4/a...

Let's hope this topic gets into the Guinness Book of Records as the longest Internet discussion:
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records/scienc...

Anybody see The Story of Maths?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfgy96Msq7Q

It sure had its people that where between madness & genius and made my vision a bit blurred.

@ taffy078

'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'
Lewis Carroll

The great Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon:
http://www.pink-floyd-lyrics.com/html/speak-to-me-...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 27th Jan, 2010 16:20
thanks again for the laughs! :0)

I once had a PC problem, came here to get help and then - as Caesar said
"veni, vidi, velcro".

Yep - YoKenny: Pink Floyd's Dark Side is brilliant-yearsahead of it's time and still one of the all-time greats. Also Fleetwood Mac's Rumours.

Finally thanks to the wise Secunia team for ignoring my OTT 25th Jan creeping/crawling aka toadying, sucking-up!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 27th Jan, 2010 16:24
Last edited on 27th Jan, 2010 16:25
on 27th Jan, 2010 16:20, taffy078 wrote:

"veni, vidi, velcro".

For any uneducated members, he said this before he arrived in Las Vegas, where he built his Palace. (per Wonkipedia.)

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 27th Jan, 2010 21:48
Evening to you all !
One could easily get re-routed but not diverted or warped, reading this never- ending thread ?! There's not always ropes called fine lines ?! Nor a Silk Rd to follow ?! The complexity of old or new China ?!Experience isn't always the inventor of a new Circus nor Enterprise ?! If the memory plays tricks, it's not always light entertainment ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 28th Jan, 2010 00:02

That inventive road leads me to Frank And the Mothers , MOGS ; then Janice with Big Brother ,
Joe's mad dogs , Jimi and the sublime experience of madness that was Woodstock .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 28th Jan, 2010 04:31
on 27th Jan, 2010 16:20, taffy078 wrote:

"veni, vidi, velcro".

@Taffy, what do two Italians and "hook & loop" fasteners http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velcro have to do with what the guy who created a salad dressing made with raw egg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar_salad ?

@Anthony, as you referred to in a post ages ago on another thread, I may now be "comfortably numb". That dosn't mean I can stop now, for "I run and I run, to catch up with the sun...". And yes, I sometimes feel "older". p.s. Do you mind if I dabble with the French? I really do appreciate your coaching(?).

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 28th Jan, 2010 17:57
Last edited on 28th Jan, 2010 18:05
Pas de problème , mon vieux Frédéric , the grand cornichon ,

Set your controls for the heart of the Sun King (Louis XIV) and we'll knit some spaghetti for the paysans .

Tout à l'heure
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 28th Jan, 2010 18:12
Hi Fred.

"veni, vidi, velcro" translates to "I came, I saw, I stuck around".
Groans all around.
The reference to the other Eyesore, was purely the result of a sun-starved brain!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 28th Jan, 2010 18:15
that was copied from somewhere of course but here's one I've just made up myself:
"Veni, Vidi, vascular"

"I came, I saw - all in vein!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 28th Jan, 2010 20:20

"Vin , Vide , Vinci" could translate in Franglais as "Hey , Leonardo , that was my glass of wine you just knecked ! "

Loses something in the translation , I find .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 28th Jan, 2010 21:07
Anthony: LOL
We all posted (earlier) favourite music.
Spooky! I've just heard one of mine - "More than a feeling" [?] by "Boston" on a TV advert! Barclaycard - Rollercoaster -New York (I think).
Showing my age again!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 28th Jan, 2010 21:53
One beautiful language for the arts and the music...another for the medicine? What could be in a violin case and might the fingers be insured that can play it? All the bad guys use them....but not for their Salt'n Vinegar crisps ?! We live at a time when there's lots of purity about....it takes time to translate or discern...we all may have a blind eye as we allow friends, generally, to make more mistakes? Relativity is a theory ? My father could play the piano!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 29th Jan, 2010 04:07
Last edited on 29th Jan, 2010 04:12
Gee wiz, we've got over a thousand "views"!

@Antoni, Jak sie masz? Czy mówisz po polsku? Me very little. My Moms family spoke English in front of us kids. I can curse pretty good in Polish though. So should I change my user name to "LeCornichon " then?

@Taffy, have you "Never been to Spain"? You could take your bullfrog, he likes the music.

@Mogs, hopefully we are generous whilst making allowances for each others mistakes! Also, Relativity is not a theory, I have several.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 29th Jan, 2010 15:04
Last edited on 29th Jan, 2010 15:06
Salut le Corhichon ,

ça va bien , thanks for asking ; but not a word I'm afraid, not even a glimmering , let alone read or write !((

Do you think using Chopin vodka in George's "flying grasshopper" recipe would help ?? He's multi-lingual ; vin et armagnac have improved my French no end :))

http://www.chopinvodka.com/main.htm

Do you want to be known as le "grand" or le "fin" cornichon , all a question of taste .

à la prochaine
Antoin(e)

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 29th Jan, 2010 22:24
"Evening" Fred !
Even when I was in High school I did'nt have any inclination to learn other languages....it may have been because I was lazy, or they(academics/teachers) were being pushy.....all hastily written notes had to be copied up later...and piano tuition with Madame Truelove cost Dad half a crown.We didn't live in a predominantly Welsh-speaking area....(earlier education)Miss Jones ( a real beauty)married a Frenchman...it didn't break my heart....formative times and too much pressure perhaps....romance's broken threads?
Hopefully, I'm not ungenerous,mean and unforgiving with whatever I may sow....tho' of course I could never be accused of giving an earful when not in the army !!
We know not always what may grow....I've got a half used jar of Pudliszki Mustztarda in the fridge ( our local Co-operative(like Tescos) has it on the shelves):that reminds me...I use it sparingly....I ought to check it's sell by date. "Yesterday's" allies surely can't be today's supermarket wars ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 30th Jan, 2010 05:14
Last edited on 30th Jan, 2010 05:42
@Anthony,

If you're ever in Chicago or Kansas City (they have large Polish communities), the greeting is jak sie masz (jyak she maashz), the common response is Dobrze (dohb-zhae or doub-zhae) = okay (no hard vowels). If you said "It goes well" in French they would probably laugh. Sorry if my phonetics are off. I've only heard the language spoken, never seen it written much at all. BTW, You signed Antoine (French form?). Antoni is Anthony in Polska, I double checked because the "i" sometimes denotes la femme. I didn't want to be rude. Found out "i" at the end is for verbs.

Before I drop the subject, did you ever notice that Polish sausage & shoe polish both spell (P/p)olish the same? I can say that because I'm half Pol (with a dash of Russian) and half Welsh/Irish mix. No wonder I make no sense, eh?

George is pleased that Chopin is a true potato wadka and will give it a try, but Smirnoff is fine. He sends, À votre santé, Vivat na zdrowie & Iechyd da.

@Mogs,

As I've said before, "I donts speek Engleesh soo goods eather!".

And don't you worry, you have a very generous heart if you put up with us.

If ever you can't find your mustard locally you might start importing http://delikatesy.gazeta.pl/ .

do widzenia;

le grand Cornichon

p.s. If anyone wants to know why "the Dillpickle", you have to ask.

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 30th Jan, 2010 09:20
As I've "said" before Fred....I don't think we're tending to accentuate the positive enough.The works with the fingers are more or less relevant these days....it's more or less easy to get into a bit of a pickle !!
The devices/tools and instruments on offer these days? We make friends with them maybe....between the extremes of thoroughly numb or the long nails!!
This could be a fabulous way to learn away from school,( whales?),and the bullies?
Is tired spellt with an "i" or a "y" in America...generally ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 30th Jan, 2010 11:55
Last edited on 30th Jan, 2010 16:58
Hi MOGS et Salut le grand fin Cornichon ,

My Grandad used to pay ME half a crown (a week) to stop off and see him each day on my way home from school - my first contact with regular updates in a paid for programme !! What a marvellous man he was ; he inspired great confidence and had absolute trust in me (never misplaced - a lesson for life :))

On a sad note , my Miss Jones married the head teacher , yeach !

The "e" is the frequent feminine add-on in French . Antoin(e) for a boy(?!) can be with or without and I guess , if you are worried in French and Polish , one could drop back to Anton (as you may imagine I'm called by all of them and many more) .

Would I be allowed to "polish my Polish accent" ??

I have ancestors who wandered from village to village selling things like boot polish ?? I have to say it hasn't done anything to help my French accent.

LeC , your mixed blood (blessings) would suit where I come from ; (near to) Liverpool where the language is "scouse" (also a meat , potato and veg (if you're lucky) stew - incomparable) , it is a complex métisse dialect , but basically half Irish and half Rubbish :))

Glad George likes the potato stuff - a real brain freezer - I go for Stolichnaya , otherwise .

Slainte , George !! (and to the both of you)

Ant (in "scouse")

PS: I know I'll get tons of hate mail and I know that the origins of "DillPickle) have been posted/detailed before in the Forum (luckily , I can't find them) , so please Fred , SPARE US the details ; although I'm guessing you'll consider this a "hidden" request :))

PPS: Apologies , I had time on my hands and fingers this morning .

EDIT PPS: one for you MOGS :

Critics search for ages for the wrong word, which, to give them credit, they eventually find.
- Peter Ustinov

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 30th Jan, 2010 18:50
Hi Mogs & Anthony;

Devices/tools and instruments, all a means to an end. If these things help us to reach what is truly important then they are useful. If not they can be a detrimental. I have learned much more from those such as you both than from a boxed in regime (school) that teaches lines from a book. Knowledge is good, understanding is tremendous. BTW Mogs, how'd you know I had bullies in school?

Tired, over here, is commonly spelled with an "i". However, in Lebanon Tyre(d) is spelled with a "y".

I never knew my paternal Grandfather and only met my Grandmother on that side. On Moms side, I remember a little about Grandma, she passed away when I was six years. A kind woman who worried about everyone else. Grandpa lived with us through my teens and he passed away shortly after I left home to make my way. He was kind also, but was not close to me. He would laugh and joke, but not often. He would usually just sit and listen. When he did speak to me they were words of instruction. The man was wise. He left Poland shortly after WW I and sent for Grandma six months later. My Moms oldest sister was born on the passage. The one time I heard Grandpa speak of this, I remember him saying, "The Kaiser was full of hell, I was not waiting to see what the next man is full of". Like I said, he was wise.

As to names, I to have been called by many (some derogatory, imagine!). Now that Anthony mentions it, none with quite so interesting a story as "The Dillpickle".

In the 1970's, a popular entertainment here was CB (Citizens Band) radio (11 meters for any hams out there). Any one who wished could apply for a licence and aquire a unit from various retailers. At first, everyone just used their names, but soon began using "handles" or nicknames. I was attempting to get everyone to call me by some cool name I picked out. It didn't work. One evening while chatting with a pal, someone broke in (a polite interruption) asking who I was. I recognized him and was trying to explain we had been school mates. His signal was very weak and was fading. I kept telling him my name was Stogsdill but he got it all wrong. In an effort to sound out my name I broadcast, "Dill, as in dillpickle!". Well as nicknames go, it stuck. Soon the airwaves were crackling with, "Hey Dillpickle, what'ca doin'?".

Resistant to change as I am, when a user name was needed...

Yours;

the Lurkin' Gherkin,
the 'coolest' cucumber in the patch,
South Central Missouri's finest,
the one and only,
The mighty Dillpickle, is signing off!

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 31st Jan, 2010 03:18
Thankyou Anthony and Fred for your anecdotes etc. Living memories without historical clutter....not so many words of wisdom that I can re-collect from mine. Grandad on my father's side was down the mines as a boy...from there into WW1...not one word of his experiences ever reached my ears. Mam's father was too young for the first...air raid warden by age for the Second....seemed he felt left out. I once met a German old soldier whilst in Germany in my late teens thereabouts...a beer and a cigarette...we somehow talked quite a bit...my own generation in the similar location, oft seemed to have barriers and blocks. Now attitudes still vary from nation to nation but the web's wide. We've all perhaps been bullied at some time....an educated guess....I used to swear like a trooper....I havn't lost any fingers but I have cut a few things out. I havn't thrown my pen away but I'm not resistant to progress. I don't think I'm so much rebelliosness to positive criticism....I don't wanna learn to camouflage n' cloak to avoid it...I'm not totally green either ?!
Hopefully......there's already some fruit trees in Lebanon ? The living memory is often dusty? See the Nile is just around the corner ? Tensions,tiredness and repetition.I liked Lennon before they went to America or India ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 31st Jan, 2010 19:33
Last edited on 31st Jan, 2010 19:40
Hey;

Time to change the subject!

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/01/29/ufo-caug...

Kinda looks like "Asteroids" to me.

http://www.springfrog.com/games/asteroids/

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 31st Jan, 2010 20:56

I think we may need the agreement of the Wise Welsh One of York before we can change from the German Government to Fox News and the Sun (don't mention that name in Liverpool) - a possibly nuclear xenophobic event !!

What say you ??

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 31st Jan, 2010 21:16
Last edited on 31st Jan, 2010 21:19
As Taffy seems MIA (last post by taffy078 on 28th Jan, 2010 21:07) and the original topic is long forgotten, I'm unsure what is proper!

p.s. Did you try the game? I thought it was pretty good.

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 31st Jan, 2010 21:28
Last edited on 31st Jan, 2010 21:34
How about climate change , Hollywood style :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own...

Not allowed to play it*** , it's still winter here , spring (for the frogs) is still two months away .

Ant :)

*** it won't load in Chrome !!

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 31st Jan, 2010 21:57
I already had another question for you Fred!
Whilst in the supermarket aisle today I espied the item....AGRICO Paprykarz Szczecinski. The pictorial representation looked a touch "mythical"....that's possibly not the right word, but it left me wondering what they could really be. If they were sardines, I tend to go for smaller quantities. I used to get some nice Polish chocolate wafer biscuits from amongst the same shelves....occasionally I still partake of the carrot juice.
Would the fish be line caught or netted do you think....possibly tuna in brine or oil of some kind ? Lots of Omega3 maybe ? We had cod-liver oil as well as orange juice and cows' milk....very early days in school....apparently very good for the brain.
When in doubt....make sure and certain your friends don't have a strange way of spelling "shore"? I think I may have had a comparitively happy first childhood !!!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 1st Feb, 2010 01:15
Last edited on 1st Feb, 2010 01:25
@Anthony, a change in climate would be nice. A freind recently took a holiday in Jamaica with her family. She has convinced me to go, now all I need is $$$! Hollywood has no style, at least none I care for. Too bad about your French frogs. Missouri frogs are heavy duty. George went ice skating with one the other day!!!

@Mogs, after trying cod liver oil once, I belive the cod fish should keep it. My Grandpa liked Vita brand pickled herring, I occasionally have some with crackers (biscuits?). Sardines in mustard sauce with a splash of tobasco, mmm mmm.

Read about Paprykarz http://wikidoc.org/index.php/Paprika, "In Poland, cans with Paprykarz szczeciński are made by many seafood producers, of steamed sea fish, rice, paprika, and onion."

I think I once worked with a guy named Szczecinski.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 1st Feb, 2010 01:15
Last edited on 1st Feb, 2010 01:22
hicup, excuse me!

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 1st Feb, 2010 11:45
Last edited on 1st Feb, 2010 12:05
Thanks for the info Fred.....whilst I think I might like it; it does seem rather a lot in the pack....must be family size...I may still give it a try tho'. I tend to like some peppery foodstuffs.
On the subject of "worked with"....once did quite a lot with machinery; tho' I've since become rusty myself(!): Russian/Polish/Cincinatti/Milwaukee and French/British millers....even then I used to keep my nails short; tho' as you can imagine, the grease and swarf still got in.
Somehow you don't strike me as a rapper come jive-talk man....isn't it a long way to go for a drop of rum?
Crackers...Jacobs ? Biscuits....cookies usually,to you?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 1st Feb, 2010 15:08
Last edited on 1st Feb, 2010 15:09
MOGS ,

Are you sure it's not a can of worms ??

http://www.gardenfoods.co.uk/index.php?act=show&ty...

Fish goulash sounds good on Fred's or should that be Jacob's Crackers ; or did you really mean Fred is crackers , a rhum thing that.

Worth milling over ?? Probably (not) ??

Ant

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Feb, 2010 15:27
Last edited on 1st Feb, 2010 15:32 Speaking about a Polish Deli reminded me of a great deli I have near me that looks like this:

http://www.cooknpan.ca/photos.html

The fresh bread, baked goods, cheeses, sausages and chocolates make it hard to walk out of there without a big bag of goodies.

I can't buy beer nor liquor there though as the goverment has that all locked up so they can grab more money from us pleasure seaking souls.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 2nd Feb, 2010 19:29
Fred......I wasn't intending to be derogatory 'bout you;the fish;nor the crackers !! Biscuits or cookies....self assertion?
My fault perhaps....too many subjects in a paragraph...created a bit of a tangle or knot?
taffy.....lost interest;on holiday;too busy; just a brief mystery?
Found a new direction for the humour?
It's sometimes nice to be missed ?!
Yokenny....Who can buy beer or spirits there.....or did you mean you must
visit another store?
Anthony....Some things may be worth mulling over ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 3rd Feb, 2010 08:54
gooooooooooooood morning!!
Been busy, busy, busy! I'm working hard to clear my desk in time for the 19th, when I retire! I'll be around with my "groan" comments regularly then!

And then it snowed again last night. Not too much. -3C of frost though.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 3rd Feb, 2010 09:02
The curse of "Day Off" has struck again!

Two weeks ago I renewed my Ad-Aware+ which also gave me three free months of Registry Tuner - which I already have. Renewing was a pain - the shopping trolley kept adding an on-line check facility. My fault - I thought I'd update to AW Pro.
Sorted that than last week my Registry Tuner expired. Renewed that - I'm very careful about following instructions but I somehow ended up with two lots of AAW+ and no Registry Tuner.
Powered up just now - Lavasoft email confirms rebate on the way but now I no longer have AAW+ !!

Perhaps Lavasoft cancelled both by mistake. I'm sure they'll sort it today - they're very friendly and fast! But once again, on my day off I have to chain myself to my PC!

PS Just bought a laptop. So I'm having (a) to update it (b) check which software I've paid for I can install on it (is it OEM etc) and (c) instal Secunia on it. You'll get me in stereo then!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 3rd Feb, 2010 09:09
Last edited on 3rd Feb, 2010 09:09
Finally - before I rush off to the municipal rubbish tip with my Christmas bottles, cans etc, here's a forecast for the event of the year. Well possibly the month, or the week even.

England 12 Wales 15

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/...

Lights fuse, quickly retires to a safe distance! Back later!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 3rd Feb, 2010 15:01
Last edited on 3rd Feb, 2010 15:03
Hello young taffy ,

Should be a cracking match with both sides full of grunt and growl !!

Don't forget that whatever the result , my Welsh half will diligently continue to give you good/correct (hopefully :)) help/advice or whatever ; however , my Lancastrian half's input will need to be used circumspectly :((.

A minor point , I myself seldom know which is which and doing what , so , as Lavasoft might say , Caveat emptor !!

Glad to hear that you've tidied your room at last - you didn't say how many skips you needed for the Muni run .

Ant.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 3rd Feb, 2010 19:58
Retire ?! I thought you said you were 31 !!!!!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 4th Feb, 2010 00:52
Last edited on 4th Feb, 2010 05:21
@Mogs, if you try the Polish goulash let me know how it is. My local market has an ethnic food section, they could possibly order. It better be good though as I would have to buy a case of it.

Sounds like the old mill had quite the assortment. I worked in a factory for eight years as an assembly electrician, building automated soldering equip. Don't care to do that again!

Been as far as Key West, Florida. Jamaica too far to swim, besides, my crackers would get soggy.

@YoKenny, quit it, your making me hungry.

@Taffy, wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere have you been? You don't need that mish-mash of "make it safe" software. Delete it all, run only Windows firewall & get a pair of these http://www.cabelas.com/waist-high.shtml !

@Anthony, :)

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 4th Feb, 2010 09:11
Fred....gotta sort out the shopping list for the weekend yet...yep; if I do decide to have a go at the fish a la paprika, I will surely let you know.
As far South as Key West without bypassing Key Largo ?! America is vast; over sixty years past....not all Hollywood films....I once had my eggs sunnyside up(Germany) and tasted rootbeer ( is it?): met a Jones from Louisianna......God knows how many went to HK for R and R. I was in hospital with a couple, for observation of another matter. I'd been in Africa the year before. Now, I tend not to get so easily disorientated!!
Gee whizz Fred, the Secunia maps are worth looking at....I know at least two others !!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Feb, 2010 10:29
@Taffy078

Pity, I have a spare Professional licence for Lavasoft. Uninstalled it months ago once I found they have ventured beyond their original remit which causes excessive use of the CPU.

This little post may help in the future:

REMOVING ISDELETE REGISTRY ENTRY
================================

Isdelete is left behind after the uninstall of Lavasoft Ad Aware. In many cases this can lead to the Blue Screen of Death at boot indicating it cannot auto check ISDELETE. After a while the system continues to boot normally, therefore, the impact is one of annoyance rather than harmful.

Lavasoft will claim they have fixed it - not so, the files in the registry breed like rabbits.

Correcting the error requires a minor adjustment to the Registry. It is simple & straightforward - just follow this detailed script:

If U shudder in fear on the use of the word Registry U should back it up before proceeding.

1. Go to Start>Run> in the box that will appear type REGEDIT> (For Vista & Windows 7 type REGEDIT in the search box) click OK.

YOU ARE NOW AT THE ENTRY POINT OF THE REGISTRY - UNLESS U ARE FAMILIAR WITH IT STICK EXACTLY TO THE SCRIPT BELOW.

2. At the top of the page click on EDIT> select FIND from the drop down list.

3. In the "Find What" box type BOOTEXECUTE.

4. Once the search has finished BOOTEXECUTE will be highlighted in the right hand column.

5. RIGHT click on BOOTEXECUTE & select MODIFY.

6. A box will appear>in that box U will see ONE or MORE instances of AUTOCHECK ISDELETE

WARNING! Under no circumstances must U remove these other two entries to cure this problem.
autocheck autochk /r \??\N:
autocheck autochk *

7. HIGHLIGHT each ISDELETE ENTRY> RIGHT click & select DELETE.

8. Once all ISDELETE entries are deleted click OK.

AT THIS POINT U MAY SEE A GOBBLE DE GOOK MESSAGE ABOUT MULTIPLE STRINGS - Ignore it - It is only there to alarm tourists! JUST CLICK OK.

9. Exit the registry via the red X (top right)

10. Reboot - The blue screen & error message are history.

09:13 04/02/2010

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Contributor 5th Feb, 2010 04:35
@Mogs, went thru Key Largo (two times, ingress & regress), didn't stop. I live in a tourist area http://www.funlake.com/ and know a 'tourist trap' when I see one! Key West had interesting people & places that weren't faked for visitors.

It seems you have been everywhere. The US is big, but I've only seen a small part of it. The only time I've been 'out of country' was when I went to Mexico with an Aunt & Uncle. They had a winter home near Brownsville, Texas (at the tip).

Yes, rootbeer is good. All fizz and no 'flash'. However, you can always add flash (vodka or gin might be nice).

@Maurice, Taffy is sure to appreciate your input. You should be made aware, since about the 24th of January this has been a decidedly nontechie thread. If you must post regedit instructions, please include some witty remarks or a lame joke. Thank you!

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 5th Feb, 2010 10:28
Thanks Fred.
It was a throwaway for @Taffy to keep if he runs into trouble.

I am moving on - enough helpers now without me plus I have got a commission to create 3 large databases which should keep me busy & help pay for Microsoft Office 2010 & Microsoft Project 2010 once released later this year!

09:27 05/02/2010

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 5th Feb, 2010 15:25
Last edited on 5th Feb, 2010 19:36
Hey Fred ,

When when did you zip thru KL , George and I used to dine at Senor Frijoles , Marghueritas , tacos and salsa .

Saw Jimmy Buffet play live in a bar in a wooden shack** - can't remember the name , but it featured in the film ***.

After a few months we moved up to Miami Beach for a while. I think George skipped off to Mexico to work on tourist trap design - we obviuosly missed you and a few others with the prototype .

I believe the place has gone downhill since we left :((

Maybe Maurice will take us there for a Farewell Party to liven the place up - first drinks are on George :))

Anthony

PS : are you going to see the Liverpool Legends next month ?? see the promo video on the right side of your Ozarks link , invite wr , he's a fan .

PPS : this is the bar** - still doing live music it seems :))

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean_Club

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g3434...

and film***

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_Largo_(film)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_Largo_%28film%29

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 5th Feb, 2010 19:36
Anthony: your advice will always be welcomed – even though you are only 50% ‘pure’. ;0)

Lavasoft sorted – they too are very helpful.

MOGS: 31????????????????? I’m only 12 years old but have made so much money that I can now retire. (12 = mental age!)

Fred: too late –see above. Aaaaaaaargggggghhhhhhhh. I’ll bear in mind for next year – if my memory allows!

Maurice: Thank you. That’s my tasks for my next day off (Monday) sorted. OHM. I’m such a trusting innocent!

Fred/Maurice: lol

Anthony: I’ll have to check if Senor Frijoles have a place in Halifax (West Yorkshire)!!! Only joking – sounds like my kind of place.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 5th Feb, 2010 19:39
Finally - before I dash off again:
Thank you Secunia (grovel, crawl) for allowing this highly tecnical thread to continue!!!
PS Had I know it would, I would have put "Welsh Assembly" in the topic title, in place of "german government".
Wales welcomes tourists - plug - plug!

PPS Can I change the title?
See you guys next week.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Feb, 2010 22:29
Fred...It's probably a quirk,if not a rift, in many a place's psyche!
The old castles versus the sandy beaches.
Indigenous peoples oft need cash!
The Brazilian Indians aren't managing: the old world isn't disappearing!
There's no place left for Columbus: chameleons to their masts ?!
Nope...havn't been everywhere....I think I've oft seen enough !!

Maurice....Surely you're not moving on too far?!....Outta reach?!

taffy....It's not intelligent to be unhappy. It's better to learn to be satisfied early....later, the lessons are more painful. There must have been a third of the politicians drawing when I was born!!!

Anthony....Do you like jazz ? Midnight in Moscow?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Feb, 2010 11:41
Last edited on 6th Feb, 2010 11:43
@MOGS ,

Now would I ever admit to a misspent youth/adulthood down Ronnie Scott's (late 60's early 70's) even if I could remember - in which case , of course , I wouldn't have been there ; Where ?? (Soho , London , I'm told :))

Ant

PS : I set foot on Moscow tarmac on the way to the "duty free" but it was midday :(

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 6th Feb, 2010 21:34
@Mogs, I suppose a person has only gone as far a their mind can conceive.

@Anthony, the closest I've come to jazz is Billy Joel & Bob Seger.

Avoir une araignée au plafond et Cornichon? Did I just make a sentence or gibberish?

Do the French really do this or are they actually having fun with Americans? http://www.wikihow.com/French-Kiss

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Feb, 2010 22:01
Anthony.
It was an odd piece I'd heard played by Kenny B and his, and really liked.Strikes me, you've led quite a varietal and culturally rewarding life. Not collected too many roubles then ?
I'm trying to remember when I last had a Sobrani Black Russian....none of my years are synonymous with the Stolichnaya etc ; mid-day '60's/'70's...icy/tense political times....must have been for a better brandy than a Napoleon?! Gorbachev was undoubtedly my favourite...tho' ' mongst themselves it's probably still A.Putin.
It's not that I've intentionally followed politics...some characters have seemed more sincere. Seems like the climate may curse us..maybe tis debates it's meant to trigger? I think overcrowding is the root of the problem....demand for quality product doesn't necessarily increase ( unless it's something for the stress! )....why China may be such a success ? Down with reproductivity ! By consensus of some kind, else it wouldn't work ?It's not gonna be gotten in Africa in time...enforced parentage? If only they weren't so religeously opposed...it only takes a whole generation to be literate ?! It's not always like water?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Feb, 2010 22:47
Un-subscribing
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th Feb, 2010 17:53
Last edited on 8th Feb, 2010 17:55
Fred ,

"To have a spider in the ceiling" means to be crazy or slightly mad in a nice way , (d'etre) cornichon (without the capital C) means stupid , imbecile in an unpleasant way . You have a phrase but not a sentence ; so "E" for effort but no cigar a yet :(

Yes , the French have fun kissing everybody even Yanks :)

I saw Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band live in London - not really Jazzy like the Count or the Duke nor Ella , nor Miles in fact no jazz at all :)))

MOGS ,

Used to be a Celtique and Gitane mais man , myself.

I saw Kenny B and his Jazzmen playing live in a "jazz pub" down the King's Road , Chelsea some moons ago. As a kid I grew up with Glen Miller and some classical stuff , and then Bill Haley , then Elvis and some blues and now I can't think of much music that doesn't please my ear (forgetting middle of the road and lift (elevator) music).

I love all guitar music , especially in live concert , should have been an axe man ; although , probably would be long ago bureid and eaten by the worms !!

A jazz/rock crossover link would probably be the incomparable Van Morrison (yup , saw him live , and many , many others such as Dylan , Tina , Little Stevie ,etc., etc.)

You will notice that my English half is being nice to you and taffy (who is quiet again) out of respect for my Welsh half :))

Ant

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th Feb, 2010 22:40
Evening Anthony !
The sowers and the eyes or the ears ? Not too many perfect days ? I find I've got many fewer legends and saints in those ways.
You've got me there....Gitane: a strong French cigarette? Celtique: pre or anti Christian? My British Soul ain't hip hop...nor always getting divided ?! I've heard "Allejuliah"; but don't let it fool yer....sergeant major don't cut my hair either !! Dylan has sometimes been kinder ?! I can't play nor sing: I havn't got any high hopes of it ! If I were in New York, I'd be ground level and sober ?!
If I spell something wrong or am uncertain; I oft indicate with inverted commas. If I had the shakes I might still look good! Love sometimes requires sacrifice.....it might have been a classical talent....Dad wasn't a Beethoven nor Tchaikovski. I don't think I'd cause him to roll over !!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 10th Feb, 2010 05:16
Snow! Cold! burrr!!!

I'm tired of this, is Spring close?

FYI, I've heard & enjoyed Jazz, just not a devotee. Rock n' Roll that I grew up with :) was spawned (for the most part) from Jazz and the Blues, I am thankful. Opera is my least favorite, not comfortable with large women wearing pointy horns on hats & brass brassieres. Otherwise, large women are fine. (@Mogs) I do listen to Classical sometimes though. Tchaikovsky had to have been a 'rocker', anyone who ends a concert (1812 Overture) with real cannons has my vote!

Well if I don't have spiders on the celing, I've probably got 'bats in the belfry'.

see ya;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 10th Feb, 2010 08:15
We've no doubt, all got our own little idiosyncracies/characteristics/foibles etc.,etc.,etc..Some may be endearing, and some may be offputting Fred?
I've got a dirty great crack up the wall....I don't do much decorating ! We havn't all got a vulnerability to subtle insinuation and innuendo...sensitivity is not what a language oft becomes ill with?!
Good to hear from you Fred.....words are'nt always weapons.....it does'nt mean we're becoming increasingly tactful and diplomatic?!The politicians oft say we've got a special relationship....it's not about the enforcement of peace....it's about keeping it?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 11th Feb, 2010 22:41
Last edited on 11th Feb, 2010 22:44

Am I Dr Jekyll

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
AnthonyWells RE: IE8 - german government advice not to use it
Member 11th Feb, 2010 22:42
Score: 1
User Since: 11th Feb 2010

or Mr Hyde !!

OOOOH :))))))))

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
mogsi RE: IE8 - german government advice not to use it
Member 12th Feb, 2010 22:31
Score: 65
Evening Anthony !
I had to change my username to 5 letters yesterday when logging in to the new website ! It might have helped, if I'd been able to remember my old password....I'd not used it for so long, I'd forgotten !
I havn't yet found the means to include my score or enter my location(!)....have had a couple of busy days.....that's more the reason than the excuse !
I'm not a D nor a H nor an utterly chatty transparent?!!

--
Toshiba L300D AMD Athlon X2 Vista Home Premium 32bit OS SP2
Chrome 5.0.342.3 dev / IE8 1GB RAM+4GB Readyboost
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 12th Feb, 2010 23:04

Hi mogsi ,

My brain is walkabout today and the new Forum paler/finer black script/font on a pale grey background is doing my old eyes no favours whatsoever ; at least the print here on the reply page is nice and black , tho' the letters are a bit close together .

Also ,The log in forgets you if you close the window and don't return immediately ; so not only do you need to remember name and password , you have to type !!

All that said , I have no idea what the last line you just typed means ; can you explain and I'll tell you about black tobacco and the Celtique and Gitane mais (wrapped in maize paper) ciggies , now banned as being too strong - like Capstan Full Strength :)) I also liked Sobrani and Passing Cloud , but gave up smoking some years ago , well almost :)

Ant

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Feb, 2010 23:20
It was just me being a bit cryptic perhaps.....referring to your Doctor and Mr H....with an intimation vague of an old contoversial book. I've probably done too many Sunday Express Skeleton crosswords in my time. I'd not be a good cluemaker !!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Feb, 2010 00:05
Last edited on 13th Feb, 2010 00:07
I was aruond and about with guessing for the D and H , but the book rings no bells unlike Quasimodo's face :§o(( or is that Lady C ??

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Feb, 2010 01:46
I'm obviously either more cryptic and or vague than I thought !!! Yep...Lady C....
your second attempt was right by me!! Was another more controversial?!
First time I saw anything of it....I was on a train returning from a school skiing trip in Switzerland....no blazers tho'!!!Come to think of it, we probably had a few French cigarettes between us too !!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 15th Feb, 2010 05:49
Last edited on 15th Feb, 2010 06:01
Hi Mogsi? & Ant;

What ever, I suppose. This new format is something else. Kind of like cow manure is something else, if you catch my drift. Love the font size. Like I said elsewhere, thank God IE has a zoom feature.

Can't stay, been working on the thread with Gaye & it's late. Just wanted to say hello...

goodbye...hello...goodbye...hello...goodbye...echo ...echo...Echo, Foxtrot, Golf, Hotel, India, Juliet, Kilo, Lima, etc., ad infinitum, ad nauseum;

Fred

p.s. I get silly when deprived of sleep.

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Feb, 2010 09:18
Hi Fred ! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....................Zulus ?!!!!!!!!!!!!
The silent phonetic Alphabet ?! Don't need it when the message is clear?! There's so many ways to dreamland ?
I tend to get more edgy and snappy when suffering sleep deprivation.....in some situations it wouldn't be wise to express it?! Sometimes in the mornings I'm not much better !! Maybe I'm getting a little bit wiser quicker as I'm ageing more slowly ?!!!!
Best wishes.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Feb, 2010 09:55
Fred.....you're my most frequent correspondant in America.....watched a prog the other day on the BBC iplayer.....Colombia/Mexico and all things synonymous. I found myself asking me, " Why don't they close the border?" It's a war zone obviously.....just Greyhounds.....save searching all those flippin' cars ?! And the guns isn't always another story ?! We're a bit sloppy too, and we've got the advantages/disadvantages of being an island ?! Freedom abused or unappreciated ceases to be. I've had to tighten up on gifts and presents.....there's fewer symbols to read ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Feb, 2010 12:01

Never heard it better expressed than this :-

They who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 19th Feb, 2010 05:13
Last edited on 26th Feb, 2010 01:54
Hi Mogs & Anthony;

Still a bit under the weather & worn down. Will endeavor to persevere.

This is my second time on the forum since the new face lift. My opinion stands, yeach!

Anyhow, how ya doin'? Weather was nice today (Thurs), 40deg.F+ & sunny skies! Melted almost all the snow.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 20th Feb, 2010 15:34
not been on for ages. I've been soooooooooh busy - ppreparing my desk/outstanding work for my retirement. Yesterday!
So I'm now a retiree - if there's such a word.

Typical though, ain't it? My first day of freedom and I'm having blasted problems with Facebook PhotoUploader following a secunia scan. I probably posted in the wrong place, having only seen this new place for the first time.
My immediate reaction was that it's great but now I'm struggling a bit. Like this post - the font is grey. Why not black?

Still - I'm sure I'll get used to it!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 20th Feb, 2010 15:35
Hey Mogs. Is your vision any better now you've got a third 'i'?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 21st Feb, 2010 04:48
Taffy's back. Now we have to quit being so serious!

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 21st Feb, 2010 20:28
Nice one Fred!

BTW I was reading today that they originally intended to have TWO Yogi Bears. It didn't happen because someone made a boo boo. ;0)

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Feb, 2010 22:56
I hope I havn't appeared to be iggy iggy ignorant to the majority nor minority of exiles, imprisoned, can't- afford-to travel, given up or retired, tied to the four-poster, etc., etc., etc.. I've got about three years to push to a more idyllic state!!! I've just moved residence ( "sounds" posh): and my workaday services have been in demand on a Sunday too !!
I had hoped to reply to your report on the freeway/highway before now Fred. Do you mean to say Mexico is emotionally closer to Canada ? We've only got one motorway "here"; and it doesn't go north!!! Some of these serious matters/questions are more taxing earlier or later.....we don't pay so much for the health of the heart ?!! I'm all for imigration if they can prove without doubt the intention is to be friends not "sleepers"!!! Meanwhile, a Scot may still have a dagger in a sock?!
Hey taffy ! How ya doin'?! Short sentences all ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 22nd Feb, 2010 03:43
Last edited on 26th Feb, 2010 01:51
Hi All;

@Taffy, actually Yogi Berra was a famous American Baseball player, then manager (mostly for the NY Yankees) in the '60's & '70's. He reportedly was upset when Hanna Barbera came up with the Yogi Bear character.

But that's OK, I liked both Yogi's.

@Mogs, I have rethought the necessity of posting my opinion on the subject here and found it unsuitable.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 22nd Feb, 2010 08:06
Fred - you are oh so right, and eloquent. Especially regarding the bus-load of kids and women.
Thanks about the baseball bit, too. I never realised that.
Hi Mogs-i.
What's with the extra "i"? I'll play "catch up" and read throught his thread to find out.
I'm fine, apart from the sultry weather - up to about 2 degrees C (07.00) - now where did I put that 'degrees' sign!
Best wishes.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Feb, 2010 23:04

How sad :(( Politics rears it's Hideous Head ; so I take my Ugly Mug away now and bid you all Farewell and Adieu .

To finish on Religion would be Apt .

May your god go with you .

Anthony.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 23rd Feb, 2010 04:26
Last edited on 26th Feb, 2010 01:57
@Mogs, I am curious, did you ever try the seafood hash from Poland?

@Taffy, I am still curious, what type of work did you retire from? Or is the subject verboten?

@All, BTW, I am curious, just ask anyone. People point & stare at me all the time!

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 23rd Feb, 2010 08:40
Hi Fred.

I've worked in insurance all my life.

I'm suffering from kleptomania at the moment - but I'm taking something for it.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Feb, 2010 09:58
Hello all.....will get around to doin' some justice to recent posts sometime soon....typed out a reply yesterday to a couple and it went up to the stratosphere it seems ! Very busy at the moment. Yes Fred, did get the fish....still in the fridge....toaster's still working....short cookery report to follow !

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Jimmyanne RE: IE8 - german government advice not to use it
Member 23rd Feb, 2010 12:42
User Since: 16th Jan 2010
Last edited on 23rd Feb, 2010 12:44
alt 0176 will give you your thingy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 23rd Feb, 2010 15:00
Last edited on 23rd Feb, 2010 15:04
on 23rd Feb, 2010 12:42, Jimmyanne wrote:

Sorry - it must be my age or/and lack of PC expertise but what do you mean?

Ahah - jsut realised - is it the degree sign?

I'll try:

Nope - what keyboard are you using, please?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 24th Feb, 2010 07:40
@Mogs, can almost smell it from here, mm...mm.

@Taffy, tried to get some life insurance at one time. They said it wasn't worth the bother!

@All, my 'thingy' fell off last month when it was -12Deg.F!!!

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 24th Feb, 2010 09:30
on 24th Feb, 2010 07:40, thedillpickl wrote:

@Taffy, tried to get some life insurance at one time. They said it wasn't worth the bother!

Fred

Ha ha! LOL. Fred - have you tried the alt 0176 posted by Jimmyanne to get your thingy back?

It's 1 degree C here - just had four inches of snow overnight. Still no sign of snow ploughs.
Mogs - how did your Jamie Oliver moment go? Or are you more Delia Smith?!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Feb, 2010 09:31
on 23rd Feb, 2010 08:40, taffy078 wrote:
Hi Fred.

I've worked in insurance all my life.

I'm suffering from kleptomania at the moment - but I'm taking something for it.

taffy....are you absolutely certain it's kleptomania? It couldn't be " artycraftypickapocketortwosyndrome" ? Do the symptoms appear more often in the left or right hand; or is there a measure of equality noticed by both ?! Has it got so bad that you might wish to visit an Arabian doctor in Harley Street ?
You do realize of course that borrowing old coined phrases is not deemed an illness; and when worn out you needn't pay back ?
I'm not aux fait with the rules and regulations concerning intellectual property....it can't be all old silver? A sticky finger for a sticky finger is not in my book !!!Are there any vestiges of charity still apparent in your nature....if so; you cannot be a hopeless case !

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Feb, 2010 09:47
on 24th Feb, 2010 07:40, thedillpickl wrote:

Fred

Hi Fred.
I'm more of a Welsh rarebit or rabbit-man myself.....like lots of fast food, buffets and picky-bits....therefore I have to rule my own Soul with a rod of iron so as not to finish up extremely obese ! My left hand has to be constantly aware of what my right hand is not capable of !! I don't think I'll ever finish with religious quotations/verses/sundry observations.....tho' of course it would be gross/ill mannered/overly self righteous, to try to cure the starving by pushing it down their throat !!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 24th Feb, 2010 10:01
@All, my goodness it's late for me, I've got to get up in four hours! Wasn't feeling good earlier this evening, fell asleep for about three hour and just now getting tired. I guess it's coming up on 9am your time.

@Taffy, can't find my thingy to try the alt 0176, I seem to have misplaced it!

@Mogs, notice I refrain from adding the 'i' without deference to Secunias new username policy. Hope you never suffer from Cranial rectitis http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201002...

I'm outta here;

Fred

p.s. To borrow a phrase from 'Shaggy' of the 'Scooby Doo' cartoon:

Zoinks it's 3am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Feb, 2010 10:06
Still havn't figured out what BTW means !! Seems to be a bit of a blind or blank spot ! I don't think my intelligence quotient is really low nor measured on a world-wide scale.....I've constantly tried to escape exams and tests !
The Chrome dev channel is brilliant Fred....been using it about a month now....not a bleep nor hiccough....even got a little extention that shows the flag of the country/site visiting......very often Danish. Not tryin' to talk you into it.....some personal recommendations may be better than pushy advertisements ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 24th Feb, 2010 17:56
Goodnight Fred.
Good afternoon, Mogs.
"BTW" is "by the way" - I bet you remember what SWALK & ITALY mean!

I've just had the results of my medical "MOT".
The doctor said I've got pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.
Well, he thinks I have. Apparently it's hard to say. ;0)

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 26th Feb, 2010 02:21
I thought I had already posted this info. Getting to old, can't tell the difference between 'thinking about' & 'doing'. :)

@taffy, you stuck one of your microscopes into a volcano on an oasis?

@Mogs, I have the same problem. I'm on a 'seefood' diet. I see food & I eat it!

@All, I'd like to be serious for a minute. After careful consideration, I have removed parts of two posts, one on 19th Feb, 2010 05:13 and the other on 22nd Feb, 2010 03:43.

There is a fine line between being obnoxious and offensive, I have possibly crossed that line. I apologize for that indiscretion.

Friends are more important to me than my opinions. My opinions I may change, friends I wish to keep.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 26th Feb, 2010 05:22
on 26th Feb, 2010 02:21, thedillpickl wrote:
I thought I had already posted this info. Getting to old, can't tell the difference between 'thinking about' & 'doing'. :)

@taffy, you stuck one of your microscopes into a volcano on an oasis?

@Mogs, I have the same problem. I'm on a 'seefood' diet. I see food & I eat it!

@All, I'd like to be serious for a minute. After careful consideration, I have removed parts of two posts, one on 19th Feb, 2010 05:13 and the other on 22nd Feb, 2010 03:43.

There is a fine line between being obnoxious and offensive, I have possibly crossed that line. I apologize for that indiscretion.

Friends are more important to me than my opinions. My opinions I may change, friends I wish to keep.

Fred

Hi Fred. I've not seen anything that I found offensive, but I'm a "new kid on the block". :0)
I emailed my sister the "I may have xxxxx illness but's it's hard to say" joke. She's only just picked up the email and she rang me concerned about my illness - she hadn't realised it was a joke but there you go. That's life. I may have to apologise to others who also didn't get the joke!

Keep smiling Fred. :0)

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Mar, 2010 00:13
Evening! Friends, voters/proof readers and countrymen ! Who's offended anyone or someone ?! It's a tortuous pathtime for one with a lisp or a sinner ?! What did Claudius know of romance amongst the plebs ?!
taffy.......thanks for the BTW explanation.......thanks too for the humourous interjections.......have you tried reading the BBC News every morning.....it may sometimes be the latest form of therapy for a growing list of pronounciated ailments....self help prescriptions ?!
Fred..........had the peppered fish and rice yesterday as a mid-day snack. Really enjoyed it.....will be getting more....might be nice with a few chips. Reminded me of a medium curry....not at all as I'd expected......the trepidation with the fork soon disappeared ! Using "Mogs" is fine by me.
Tired now....time to mike the cocoa. Sleep tight; hope the bugs don't bite ! I've got more nails than fingers !!!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 1st Mar, 2010 02:52
Hi Mogs;

My, your up late! I do that too sometimes. It is odd that when younger we find it adventuresome and even daring to stay up late and carry on. I would stay out drinking & other stuff until dawn. Now I'm often in bed by 9pm and get up at 1 or 2am. I eat a peanut butter sandwich, go outside to look around, then go back to bed. Occasionally, when I can't get back to sleep, I'll get on the forum.

I must try to get the fish hash in my store. It sounds like something I would like. Anything I can dump in a bowl and microwave!

If you read the post that was removed I am happy. It was written for you, read by all. Such is an open forum. I was thinking you would read and agree or complain, but not take offense. Somehow I thought others would read & disregard if not to their liking. After being prompted to rethink posting that here, it was removed. This is an international forum, the content really wasn't appropriate here and I don't wish to be seen as 'The ugly American'. I'm just a man, making my way in this world, trying not to step on others toes.

good nighty night;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 1st Mar, 2010 07:41
A happy St David's Day to all my fellow Welshmen/women!

By way of explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_David

Mogs - will you be having a leek today? ;0)

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Mar, 2010 09:52
Morning Fred ! This is my second attempt at drafting a reply to you; and I can't abide having to write things out twice. Now and again...tap Reply, and the whole content just seems to disappear!
Anyrate...few excesses.....tho' Wales may be a blackspot....like my spirits neat, tho' smoke.....much less than the 60/80 Marlboro a day I used to. I'm probably a stranger to the doctor !! I'm not old breed being driven underground: I'm not new Mole school either......mam and dad's rows aren't an epic diary with me !! Master of the seas....ruler of the Aegean ?! I think I bath often enough ( now on a meter!): moral compass, plain enough? Out of the water and definately not beached ?!
I don't wish you to be unhappy.....self editing or oppressive international agreement ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Mar, 2010 10:16
taffy.....it's very unlikely: it's usual for us to have leftover Sunday's feast, fried up.
The youngest man in the regiment will have one on the table unless traditions have changed much. From an early age, one of my favourite flowers has been the crocus.....a part I once played in a Dai's Day Windsor Clive play !! Happy days for you too ? Where e'er there be a host of daffodils ? A happy childhood is not the root of a thorny subject ?! Leeks, lakes and words worth ?! Have a good day.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Mar, 2010 23:46
What a glorious day taffy ! Driving West back from London....visor down....no sunglasses yet...sunsetting fiery,golden and slowing the traffic down. Stopped on the hard shoulder......somewhere in Wiltshire I think.....I shouldn't drink so much coffee.....I havn't got my own china pot.....flask emptied and running for home ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 2nd Mar, 2010 01:29
Hi Mogs & taffy;

Sounds like Monday was great there. Started cool here, got up to about 45deg.F by noon. Then the blasted sun went away & wind picked up. By the time I left work at 5:30 pm it was pretty dark & below freezing! Supposed to be warm & sunny Tues. (fingers crossed for sure). Everyone hear is tired of Winter.

My signature line has changed again. Had some fellow on another thread give me a hard time. Told him I listed my machines there because a different fellow had earlier given a hard time because I didn't list them! Makes no difference to me. Always thought it to be a bit showoffish anyhow, so am happy to remove it. Hope you like my new quote.

If you keep loosing your replies to the forum try this:

=======
Secunia recently changed the forum. One of the most notable
(and disliked) changes is that it kicks you off every so
often. If you take too long writing a reply (I do often) you
loose your work. To prevent this from happening:

At the bottom right of your text, left click and hold, drag to
the top left and release to highlight the text. Right click
the text, click "Copy".

Now click the "Reply" button. If it comes up with the thread
and your new post is at the bottom all is well. :) If it comes
up with the Login page, you were timed out and have to Login
again. :(

Enter you Username & Password, click on "Login", find your
thread. Click any "Reply" button, right click the "Content"
window, click "Paste", click the "Reply" button. Whew!
=======

This is the long way of saying save your work.

until later;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Mar, 2010 23:03
Last edited on 3rd Mar, 2010 23:06
Brill....thanks for the explanation and subsequent directions for saving work. Will, no doubt soon have to put into practise.
Don't agree with you having removed the signature details....I couldn't see anything vain about it. The reasoning was that they might be of some assistance when sorting a problem, and it saves you having to make note of them in posts when and if ever seeking. Beside that, perhaps you shouldn't take so much notice of possibly contentious individuals who may not be regular posters/visitors anyrate ? It's not like it was a load of eye makeup !!
Best wishes Fred.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 6th Mar, 2010 17:33
Thanks Mogs;

I'll think about adding the info back in. I can see both points of view. It's a fine line we walk trying to please all, eh?

Just a note about the weather, it is quite possible that Spring has sprung.

Yours,

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Mar, 2010 23:21
Evening Fred !
" If you don't happen to like me, pass me by"; may be a more practical philosophy, but less rewarding or successful ?! Friends don't always give an ear bashing nor a black eye. If there's some heart in the language.....nothing gets wasted....they may say the same about China.....similar sentiments may be written both horizontally and vertically !! I'm not writing tightropes these days! Was I ever a little monkey ?! Only a cat's got a chance of pleasing the whole jungle ?! " Better be a live dog than a dead lion "........very wise old quote ? Senior citizen's protestations (?)......quietly I'm being myself ?! Don't be browbeaten Fred.
Your copy/paste suggestions have just worked !!!!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 25th Mar, 2010 10:07
The thread to everlasting freedom is open taff!!!! Just checking it out. As you can see, whilst you were away.....I havn't had a caterpillar's metamorphosis, but I'm back to my old self ! Still havn't managed to get the city back tho'....BTW...did you know any tigers ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 25th Mar, 2010 15:40
Hi Mogs.
I asked why this had been locked and the charming Emil Petersen said:

It the thread in question was automatically locked, because there had been no replies for a substantial amount of time. We in no way want to discourage discussion or chatter, and the thread has now been unlocked. Reading the forum wouldn't be as much fun anyway if it was all strictly on-topic. ;)
So it's up to us to keep this going!!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 25th Mar, 2010 15:48
Last edited on 25th Mar, 2010 15:50
by the way, I see we now have a "score". Mine is negative so must be because of the poor quality of my jokes! e.g.

Mogs decided to go to Odensa to re-trace some old steps. When he arrived, he called a cab, on the grounds that most cab drivers are brilliant at solving problems for their customers.
Just after they set off, Mogs leaned forward and tapped the cab driver on the shoulder.
The driver screamed, jumped up in the air and yanked the wheel over. The cab mounted the curb, demolished a lamppost and came to a stop inches from a shop window.
Mogs, startled, said "I didn't mean to frighten you - I just wanted to ask you something."
The cab driver said "Not your fault Sir. It's my first day as a cab driver, I've been driving a hearse for the past 25 years".

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 25th Mar, 2010 15:52
Last edited on 25th Mar, 2010 15:53
PS is there a quick way to get to the latest reply? Pulling the slider down doesn't really work - it 'floats' back up.
(Oh dear - that'll be another negative mark! ;0) )

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 26th Mar, 2010 03:28
Hi Taff, Hi Mogs;

Lotsa stuff going on the forum these days. Members, Contributors, Vendors, Secunia Officials, Batman, Robin, Superman, etc. Memorize what color 'badge' is which and don't forget how many 'points' you can get from different critics. There will be a test on Monday.

Anyhoo, Spring has officially sprung in the Ozarks, daffodils & other early bloomers are out. Birds seem to think Winter is over, they are building nests and having a frolic.

@Taffy, the slider won't work right until the page is through downloading. Evidently this thread is getting long enough even those with higher speed have to wait a bit. It takes aprox two minuets for me to download it.

@Mogs, People are 'people', as (we) dogs are dogs & cats are cats. Everyone acts as their own kind. Do not be surprised at the actions of your fellow man. Look at a small boy and see where most stop growing! You'll always be one of my favorites.

Fred

p.s. Sorry about explaining the slider and mucking up this otherwise irrelevant reply.

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 26th Mar, 2010 23:47
Early starts and late-ish finishes have precluded me spending much time on here the last couple of days; but I havn't forgotten you guys! Senility isn't creeping up behind me !!
It occurred to me taff, that you may have missed your vocation ? Obviously not a song and dance man ? Maybe there's enough time left to warrant some self Soul searching? A stand up comedian doesn't have to be quick fire.....finger doesn't have to be always on the trigger.....jokes are funny things....some are better read....others have a way of telling them?
There's always someone that hasn't heard one before....change the name in the frame and it might be used again? Live, and it's a matter of timing....writing the fresh material......it could be demanding ? You could get away with a few blue ones elsewhere.....even at a Jack's venue? Never mind the plus's and minuses....target an age group in a possible audience....who's ribs would you like to tickle? Do you remember that American who used to vocalise punctuation ? Did a Royal Variety, but his name escapes me.The subject might be worth expanding?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 27th Mar, 2010 00:11
I thought this thread was gonna be where we couldn't be minimized for being a little zany from time to time Fred ! Good to see/hear you again !
I know I said...or quoted the phrase, " if you don't happen to like me pass me by".....but I was rather hoping that if anybody did decide to use the philosophy...they'd practice it on someone else ! It's now possible it seems, to be perceived as being of negative value without ever having offended anyone ! I've been thro' my period of self examination and unless someone can produce good reason....I've decided to pronounce myself faultless ! Haha! Alright...fair enough...I'm a bit short sometimes....but I did explain that, prior to the great makeover....it's not an excuse....it's uncontrollable tiredness !!! I like you lots Fred !!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 27th Mar, 2010 02:59
Hi Mogs;

I can't believe someone thought it fit to give me a thumbs down on this thread. Oh well, some folks just can't help themselves I suppose.

A side note: When skimming a thread and I come across a [+], I can't help but stop to read what some poor fella got voted down for. :)

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 27th Mar, 2010 09:59
Fred..........good morning.....hope you meet with much maximization today! Perhaps, what we should be devizing is a way of paring/clipping thumbnails remotely !! Ha!Nothing too drastic....manicured, polished and laquered may be allowed......but not favour the quick?!!! We might be better able to evaluate positive reactions/responses with an IM facility, but no-one has the slightest interest.....very disconcerting !!
taffy!!! Thought of that chap who used to give sound effects to full stops; ( periods, is it, for an American?): His question marks were hilarious! Victor Borge....thought of it whilst having a shave this morning !

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 27th Mar, 2010 12:53
thank you Fred for your "slider" advice. Likewise the career advice. Good to hear from you and Mogs. I too have chores that mean I'm only able to pop in every two or three days.
I've given you both +1's!! Apparently, if your score reaches -10, you get a free Adobe Reader update.
We need to try to get others to post here so I'm pleased to announce a competition - Worst Joke of the month. Based on the 'groan' factor. Mega prizes, including one year's subscription to Internet Explorer 4 and an appearance on America's Next Top Model.
To start it off, I hope Mogs won't mind me telling the whole world about his embarassing incident with the police recently.

A policeman pulled over Mogs' car near Macdonalds in Mayfair, London. He strolled up to the Mogs' window and said: "Excuse me, sir, but do you know that you're driving without a rear light?"

Mogs jumped out, ran to the rear of his car and let out a whimpering groan, collapsing on the floor, in tears. He seemed so genuinely distressed that the policeman took a sympathetic view: "Don't take it so hard, sir; it's not all that serious an offence..."

"Isn't it" Mogs cried, "Where's my caravan gone?"

--

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 27th Mar, 2010 21:45
Brill taff!!! a RECIPE FOR DISASTER could be to try to cure,cover or kill a bad smell...the bottom lines have really got to nail 'em ?! MAKE SURE THE HANDS ARE CLEAN before putting the rubbish out......the chickens may not be as scavenger-like as the increasing population of seagulls !
It's strange...maybe there's something psychic(?); but your gag brought to mind a memory from a few years ago. I'd been unemployed for a while, and got on my ficticious bike, took up a post in London. I'll try to cut out any irrelevancies: but hope to keep the matter in context.
Anyrate, working as an off-licence manager....I got face to face with many sober and inebriated characters....one....a Rasputin-like looking figure with an intimidating glare would sometimes demand that I give him a free beer ! Needless to say, grit and determination sometimes prevailed without my army!! Apparently, the local consensus was that he was uncharmingly harmless. Never put a verified actual name to the face, so I wouldn't know if the opinion proved to be true in the fullness of time.
The last time I saw him.....I was taking my then virginal daughter ( to my knowledge!) to work.....in another manor (!): we caught sight of him, stood by his ageing landrover at a roundabout with the caravan he'd been towing collapsed and in bits behind ! All roads don't lead there; but you can imagine the congestion....I don't think he could read and the policeman wasn't particularly enamoured !! Ha! ( sometimes I've got to laugh at my own !).

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 28th Mar, 2010 00:26
Last edited on 28th Mar, 2010 00:31
OK you two;

Bit late for you, but this may make you morning cheerful. Both of your stories put me in mind of this old tale. Hope it translates well.

This older fellow, who perhaps had one too many, left the tavern to go home. A police officer, parked on the corner, observed him climb into his car and pull out in traffic. The cop decided on following him, to check his driving. The man was doing fine and the officer had thought to go back to his normal patrol, when the automobile turned the wrong direction onto a one way street. Traffic being light and wanting to give the benefit of doubt, he followed the man to see if he would realize his mistake. Driving past the warning sign and directional arrow the man continued on. After three more blocks, the cop could take no more and pulled him over. Approaching the vehicle and noticing the smell of alcohol, the man appeared inebriated. Looking up, obviously confused, he said, "Evining oseefur, whut seeems ta bee tha mattor?" The policeman, quite flustered because the man was plainly drunk, asked gruffly, "Didn't you see the arrows?" The intoxicated motorist looked shocked and replied, "Why hell, I didn'st even seee tha Indians!".

If required, I can come up with even stupider jokes. (Is stupider a real word?)

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 28th Mar, 2010 01:13
It may not have any deeper conotation/meaning Fred ? There may be nothing between the lines? Even less to translate?
If written with pen and ink, an officer and an Indian, as one or both, might note greater or lesser tendencies to lean toward the left or the right.....the upward and downward strokes might be longer or shorter? One or the other might find it more difficult to follow the drunken scribble, graffitti, at speed ?! It may not take years to dry?! It's possible they would both see more of a judge but not be familiar with the font.........it may not have a recognizeable architectural style?! Motors may pass thro' pillars but not on pavements.......I'm not an old Bombay train dependant 'pon the rails ?! These days friends may not be both sober and non-toxic ?! A grain or a gram may show up with an additional or missing bit or a bite?!
I may sometimes be old fashioned but not obsolete?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 28th Mar, 2010 10:28
Okay Fred......Easter is coming......this isn't the Old Vicarage.....where there's a will there's a way ? We've got a Royal postal union over here ( the night has a thousand eyes !).......could we work towards exchanging Christmas cards ?! Might you put it on your window sill ?!

So one or the other of the ships' compasses or captains aren't really working for peace. America has the strength that's not being undermined ?! You'd have thought they'd have both got the news from an independant tracking satellite?! There was a time when I might have downloaded twenty pictures in good faith.......not really that long ago(!)......but I've since learned.....if they've been around the houses, they may gather bugs......I don't do tumbleweed ?! Repeated assurances of it being the genuine article?! In Britain these days, when just about everything has a copy, clone, fake ? They may originate from much further afield ?! China ?! Hands that don't do any dishes are never at sea....let alone dirty old kitchen sink?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 28th Mar, 2010 22:39
Hi Mogs;

Sorry, no surreptitious meaning, just an irritated cop & a drunk old fart. I would hope that as I'm sober that my 'edges' are sufficiently smooth. Your path may not be as set as you think, but it is hard as we get older. As for obsolete, how can a 'one of a kind' article be replaced? If you send a card address it to junkfredjunk@gmail.com. No SPAM as yet, if I can't edit later may change that.
bugs & dirty dishes, what a lovely thought. However, if you stay out of dirty places you will tend to be cleaner.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 28th Mar, 2010 23:50
Last edited on 28th Mar, 2010 23:59
I'm not perfectly sure that you and I are not at cross purposes Fred. When I referred to the matter of exchanging cards.....I was referring to those more traditional.....hand written.....at this time of year tho', the picture on the front wouldn't be of a village church in the snow.
As you know, we don't live in a geological volcanic location.....I havn't got a palsy in my arm.....and we havn't got any kids the table to shake.....you can imagine....any emotional disturbance an electronic device may withstand.....it's not always a different story with the pen and the ink ? Some one hasn't just dropped a bomb somewhere, and you don't live near the San Andreas etc ?! Your birthday may be much sooner......I'm usually much neater in verse than on cardboard........rhyme is often easier to remember as we get older....some of the ancients possibly used with good reason?
I havn't got any e mail addresses I want to stop using......trust.....it could be more more bully beef than processed spam ?!
PS....
Copied and pasted the e mail address into my Yahoo contacts.....it's telling me it's an invalid address.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 31st Mar, 2010 10:32
taffy!!! I was in Yorkshire yesterday.....looked out for a car with a Bluebird's sticker(!)......that part's fiction, and there's no river by that name there !!!
Seriously, I was taking inanimate objects to somewhere near Kieghley ( not sure of the exact spelling). It's a sobering thought.....if I'd known the day before, where I was going....you or I would have been able to set the co-ordinates(?)....it would have to have been for a tea or a coffee......I may sometimes have carried Brains in the van?! Are you a Tetley man with no choice ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Amerzking RE: IE8 - german government advice not to use it
Member 31st Mar, 2010 12:40
Score: -2
User Since: 25th Mar 2010
on 17th Jan, 2010 08:19, taffy078 wrote:
So now the german government has recommended not to use IE8, will any of the experts here follow that advice and use another browser?

According to the BBC article - link below - what's made this worse now is that details of the vulnerability have been posted on the internet.
Will setting the security zone to 'high' really cause problems accessing "normal" sites?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8463516.stm[...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Amerzking RE: IE8 - german government advice not to use it
Member 31st Mar, 2010 12:42
Score: -2
User Since: 25th Mar 2010
IE8 - german government advice...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 31st Mar, 2010 15:55
Mogs - I would have loved to buy you a drink when you were in Keighley. Do let me know next time you're in this area.
BTW - snow!!!!!! One of the main roads "over the tops" to Lancashire is blocked but locally we've been lucky. Or very lucky, when you look at Scotland and Ireland.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 31st Mar, 2010 16:00
Hi Amerzking. Welcome to what I (a PC-literate but non-technical guy) feel is the best computer website & forum. I couldn't do without PSI and I try to 'recruir' new users every chance I get!
This thread started as a technical thread but eventually meandered into what can best be described (imho) as a Secunia members chat-room - or rest room!)
Feel free to tell us about where you are, weather, moans & groans, and humour too!
But you WILL find the answers to all your PC problems in this forum. Guaranteed!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 31st Mar, 2010 21:48
taffy.....get a run up that way from time to time, but don't always know the day before. Don't usually get much time either for a break......I could save up my coffee break and not have another on the way back.....at a push.....we could find enough to chat about for an hour ?! I usually travel in from Preston....M65.....the snow must have been a bit further north ?
What we ought to have on here is a way of exchanging more private messages: e mail addresses, so on and so forth ? I havn't got any tools in the van overnight, and I don't tend to advertise when/where I'm going. Some people ask: I often say London: it could be anywhere; but I don't do Europe !
Having some celebrities as friends would be a nightmare ?! I can't afford a panic room; CCTV and electronic gates.....my heart's kept me safe for quite a few years....it's not always taxing ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 1st Apr, 2010 08:54
cheers Mogs.
BTW - good news: I've got a part-time job.
Working at the local pole-/lap-dancing club. I have to towel-down (dry) the dancers after their routines and then apply talcum powder.
20 hours work - £10 a week.
I know £10 a week is not much but it's all I can afford!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 1st Apr, 2010 09:00
I see that Adobe have commisioned American Chopper to build a chocolate chopper. Maurice Joyce may have been the inspiration for this!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 3rd Apr, 2010 00:52
The outskirts of Rotherham today taff ! Whilst you were having your toasted hot-cross bun with butter and jam on it; I was possibly negotiating/navigating thro' the roadworks on the M1! Sunrise was earlier....somewhere near Worcester without a bacon sarnie; ( British army slang like dhobi ( laundry...picked up in India).....let alone sauce !!!
How much does promotion cost in your line of part time work ? Do you think there might be an opening for warming the audience up or cooling them down? Is clubland really where you might begin to be heard ?
How about guest after dinner speaking at white weddings ? The sherry doesn't always get spiked ?! There's not really any demand for it ?!
Grannie Smith nor Mr Cadbury nor Fry made me......the stars aren't always fond of a day job ? Who's sending who to sleep? I think my mother had brown eyes?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 3rd Apr, 2010 07:47
Hi Mogs. Happy Easter!!
I posted another of my April Fool's Day posts in the local paper. It ran:

"UKIP have just announced their scheme to reduce the number of immigrants here. They and their families can re-settle in New Zealand for £50 a family (£100 for illegals). I know it worked rather well for Australia (children excepted) but will New Zealand be happy about it?"

I'm now embarrassed as many of the experiencied regulars believed it. That's ths sad part, though - that many of our (discreditted?) UK politicians are coming out with so much rubbish that anything off the wall sounds OK!

((UKIP is the United Kingdom Independence Party - main plank is anti-EEU and seems to be gaining support.)

The local paper ran an on-line poll - "Do you vote in on-line polls? YES / NO".
47% voted No!

There were some brilliant April Fool's Day hoaxes in the media. Does this happen anywhere else in the world?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 3rd Apr, 2010 10:17
Happy Easter to you taff.....I'm not rolling any eggs down hill this year ! Anybody that betrays me , I'll somehow have to learn to requite ! My enemies are like the sand or the sea.....the only straight line is the one with a big fish at the end of it....I havn't got a flexible rod....I'm not in dire straits !!!
Politicians should be duty-bound to form a coalition and refrain from dividing the country.....it's what they want for Iraq and Afghanistan after all. Where will who place what cross ?! If and when they ever get home......more sardines and corned beef !!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 6th Apr, 2010 03:49
Hi Taffy, hi Mogs;

I recall, a 'few' years ago when the Rock N' Roll band Boston was scheduled to play Kansas City. April Fools day was a couple of days before the concert. A local promoter thought it funny to run an advert in the KC Star that was something like this:

FREE BOSTON TICKETS!!!

To help those in dire need, one free ticket to Saturdays concert will be provided to any one willing to donate any of the following; An eye, a kidney, or a lung. Three tickets for donating any two of the above and five tickets for those wishing to donate all three items.

To receive your free ticket and make your donation, please respond to the Something-Something Medical Bldg. on State Ave., Kansas City, Kansas by noon Thursday, April 1.

This ran in the evening edition the day before. The Medical Offices in that building did not open that day and KC Kansas Police had to close several blocks of State Ave. for most of the day. (State Ave. is a major thoroughfare.)

Seems to me that some of the things politicians are doing today are just about as shortsighted and potentially harmful as what this promoter did. I hope in twenty+ years we can look back and laugh. I doubt it, but hold out hope.

See ya later;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 7th Apr, 2010 23:31
Hi Fred, Mogs. :0)

I just popped in to post about another Firefox issue. I saw that someone new has posted a problem so I tried to get info so that the teccies here can help him.
When doing that I saw another of Maurice Joyce's 'good samaritan' replies. I've just worked out that even if I had his knowledge (which I don't!) at my current rate of contributions, I'll have to live until I'm 877 years old to reach his current score! Don't wait up!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th Apr, 2010 21:39
You're a different kind of light taff !! In eight hundred odd years they may still remember you for your rigidity in tax contributions....your diary may be full of witticisms that may be handed down for heritage and posterity...like some collect old stamps ? Low lights, high lights.....60watt kitchen....all the daffs out. Who's keeping Robin Hood ? We're into threads....not filaments and roots ? As straight as a Dai....or as dyed in the wool ?! We all need a private life....there's always the sun. Contention,contradiction,corruption...who's are the wrinkles.....all yours are laughter lines ? Let it be......not dim ? Not the caped crusader again ?!!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 11th Apr, 2010 00:13
Evening taff !
I, for my part, may have less knowledge of the dark side, bad guys etc., etc.. Consequencially, I havn't had the experieces to learn from that you have ?
I think my number one top tip would be :-
If you start out with a good security agent.....stick with it. There's a "good" chance of conflicts arising, if you don't.
I think I've been lucky in love......Bond's got a high profile ?! How good was his word to which woman ?! Performance and who does the ratings?! For who's eyes only ?! Champagne and reds under the bed ?!
I think my favourite may have been Dr No......Miss typing pool is old hat?!
Which spider may crawl over an insider ?! Shshsh.....not a word about thread worms !!!!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 11th Apr, 2010 00:23
Hi Mogs. I'm suffering from sun-stroke. No - that's wrong; sun-shock is what I have. We had sun all day today with temperatures reaching a high of 13°C!
And, as you'll see, I finally found out where to get the °!
(Press and hold alt key whilst typing 0176 on the NUMBER KEYPAD (not the numbers on the qwerty top row))
And on that highly technical and interesting note, I'll say goodnight. Take care.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 11th Apr, 2010 09:20
Morning taffy ! I don't use numbers too often....I don't use qwerty too much.....where's the NUMBER KEYPAD ?!
BTW.....how does the formatting of the text code work, when creating a new thread ?! I'll have to be able to accentuate some things.....mostly positive, I hope.
Beautiful day here again.....veggies to do......most of them frozen mind....just a half a cabbage to shred for a dinner fit for a king !!
What do you think of the Gary McKinnon case ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 11th Apr, 2010 09:52
Hi Mogs. Nice here too.
The Number Pad is usually on the right-hand side of the keyboard, with arrows eg 8/up arrow, 2/down arrow.
The Gary McKinnon case is interesting, as well as sad of course. On the one hand, the USA authorities say he caused untold, costly damage to their sites. On the other hand, he in effect alerted them to the fact that their sites were vulnerable. Better he did it than an enemy of the USA/
A similar thing happened about, erm, 15/20 years ago, where the UK hacker (aged 16?) got into the Pentagon sites. His family had to move after mysterious incidents eg fires at their music business.
Also is it right that the USA/UK protocol allowing UK residents to be extradited to the states doesn't apply to USA citizens causing issues here?

I wonder what USA members think. Fred?

Enjoy your lunch!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 11th Apr, 2010 09:58
Last edited on 11th Apr, 2010 10:00
Sorry Mogs, I should have added that formatting is dead easy - the instructions are below the Content window when you post a new one.
Easy-peasy!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 11th Apr, 2010 10:11
No......havn't got the number keypad then. I'm frozen out of getting my degrees ?!
What about that question of mine concerning the formatting of text when creating....code (b) and(i) ( with different brackets of course !)....where do I press?!
Some might say the Russians and Americans have been offending sensibilities over here for years ? Our own pornography is pretty soft ?!!!!!!!! Others in the film industry have been waking to, and warning of dangers....I havn't got to worry too much about the censor at my age ?! When I was in Denmark I didn't always do as the Danes. Our own systems aren't always immune. I couldn't cause you to send a balloon or more defensive device aloft?!
In a way.....it's like they were sleeping on A Sunday morning.....the kid woke them up.....and the angry one is pop ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Apr, 2010 09:09
Morning taffy.....as the one who started this thread, and the one most passionate about keeping it going, I feel you could/should either answer some graphic questions put to you, or close it ! I don't know how you get the mix of farming or vetting and humour and media manipulation right !! The pictorial graphic arts don't have a monopoly ? Youthful cows are calfs......in their natural state they havn't already been corrupted ?! There's much more to incorruptible communication than a reliance on body language ? When you get older it's still of use, even if not powerful ?! They're really still in the dives and the dark ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 18th Apr, 2010 12:51
Last edited on 18th Apr, 2010 13:00
good morrow, young master mogs! For some reason I had unsubscribed to this thread and hadn't realised you had been in ths asylum on your own. ;0)
I have been reasonably busy making you teccies work hard - and , dare I say (with all due modesty) that I may have even helped a few lost souls here!

I believe that I was the first to post that Secunia was "having a senior moment" moment the other day. I was so relieved to find later that others had been affected too!
Before I leave you with my "thought for the day" and then back into the garden chores, let me help you with formatting:

A b within the square brackets before a word or words embolden them and that stays until you add the same but with a "/" before the b. [/b]
Likewise with i for italics,or combinations! (I thought that there was u for underline too but I was wrong.
Your excercise for today is to post an exact copy of my "believe" at the start of the preceding paragraph. Get it wrong and that's detention for you!

So, "thought for the day". My disclaimer is that I have nothing against the particular religion shown - you can modify it changing it to any religion.
Well, for most of them - I gather it's difficult using a keyboard without your right hand! Oops! So here we go:

"I was walking across the Humber bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said "stop! don't do it!" "

Why shouldn't I?" he said. I said, "Well, there's so much to live for!" He said, "Like what?"

I said, "Well...are you religious or atheist?" He said, "Religious."

I said, "Me too! Are you christian or buddhist?" He said, "Christian."

I said, "Me too! Are you catholic or protestant?" He said, "Protestant."

I said, "Me too! Are you episcopalian or baptist?" He said, "Baptist!"

I said, "Wow! Me too! Are you baptist church of god or baptist church of the lord?"

He said, "Baptist church of god!"

I said, "Me too! Are you original baptist church of god, or are you reformed baptist church of god?" He said, "Reformed baptist church of god!"

I said, "Me too - I don't believe this - what a co-incidence, dear friend! Are you reformed baptist church of god reformation of 1879, or reformed baptist church of god reformation of 1915?"

He said, "Reformed baptist church of god reformation of 1915!"

I said, "Die, heretic scum", and pushed him off.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 18th Apr, 2010 13:02
re-posted that SIX times! and still I missed the typo early on. Off to the garden. Bye Mogs.
PS how is Fred?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Apr, 2010 14:56
There are many things to live for Master taffy....but for me, gardening doesn't do it !! Running a spade along the gutter when the dandelions are aflutter is as far as my horticultural tendencies go. It has been the case tho', at times, I've had more green grass to mow; and yes, I miss the three types of columbine we had before we moved ! I hope that "doesn't" shows up right when I press Reply !
My father was a religious "manicurist" with a trowel and a fork.....I was never a disciple nor prodigal !! Things might be different if we were starving....I might be one of two or five thousand; learn to fish or use my own loaf; if I'd at first grown the corn ?! The word doesn't always have a golden ring ?! I don't think I've got one friend in Jerusalem ?! Peace is perpetually elusive ?! Start mediating in earnest or else ?!
Then there's old sergeant majors like Icelandic or Zealand's volcanos.....can you imagine what a preponderance of " religions been thro' all weathers is doing to mine"?! I'm not becoming dumb or dumber ?! Jordan or the Humber ?! How does a snail commit suicide ?! An ancient sword: thank God is obsolete ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

xcHRbt7z00NsyrVAKlHmeJf...

RE: IE8 - german government advice not to use it
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Contributor 20th Apr, 2010 14:05
so three here have given the thumbs down to a new member. Not very welcoming is it. :0(

Hello, Mr/Mrs/Miss Ms xcHRbt7z00NsyrVAKlHmeJfXhDaSSp.
Gosh - that's a bit of a mouthful. What language is it? How do you pronounce it? "Smith" might be an easier name to use.

Anyroad, thanks for your positive comment. This thread isn't a technical thread now, as you will gather. Feel free to post whatever (usual rules etc) here.

Mogs - do you agree? Shouldn't there have been a Welcome Pack for this new member?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Apr, 2010 03:47
Yeah, but one word and an overly cryptic handle taff ?! Not a hell of a lot to go on....it's pretty obvious we're thinkers? Laughter oft turns to crying.....it wasn't my intention to keep you in the dark ? I mean where should a Welcome Pack start ? Is it difficulty with a foreign language....are we so unpopular we're clutching at threads ?! It could be lacking dexterity with digits or one finger.....even arthritis....it's not flippin' funny....it might be mummy trying to worm her way in ?! The possibilities are endless.....but I like to guess less.....it might be taken either way.....best be on the safe side ? It's Minnie or Mickey ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Apr, 2010 10:06
taffy......where's Fred and Lol ?! Are you too busy ?!
Missing letters,programs, discs and persons ?!
Plenty of coatings for the nerves and the nervous ?
Excesses aren't necessarily perversions.....senses aren't always merely dulled----
they're further insensitized or dead ?
You don't have to be sleuth, spy nor detective to make a friend these days ?
It's not all about the giving and taking of gifts and presents ?
Lifts to the hospital or doctor's ?
I don't do as white as many a vacant sheet nor pinch the public's money.....too many sick beds ?
My writing may be a lot clearer than many a prescription ?!
Keep in touch when you can.....this isn't "breakfast on the State mummy and daddy "?! Sometimes I might tax a concience ?! Am I fairly well read ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 22nd Apr, 2010 10:43
Mogs - what an awful start to the day! I looked out of the window early this morning and saw that all the cars in the close where I live are covered in what looks like food items – I can see pizza, ice cream, custard and frozen peas. What a mess. Have you had this problem?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Apr, 2010 10:53
A quieter start to the day for me taff !! My white van....which cannot be confused with a Mr Whippy.....is in for a new gearbox....so it's not here as a target for a chimps' tea party !! Fingers can't always be chastened immediately for unzipping a banana ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Apr, 2010 10:53
Last edited on 22nd Apr, 2010 10:57
Edited out.....I hope !

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 22nd Apr, 2010 11:02
Mogs - I've just realised that the mess out here is the fallout from Iceland!

Boom-Boom. "Groan of the year" applied for.

PS For non-UK members, Iceland is a national chain of food supermarkets. I know this is a bad joke so please don't give me any more negative scores!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 22nd Apr, 2010 11:43
We havn't got to fight for this love...it's not being dished up ....Rufus Hound...the best thing I've heard and seen in ages ?! Brotherly love.....a soldier can't always vote.....and politicians have no ideas to change it ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Apr, 2010 19:21
Up your neck of the woods again tomorrow taffy ! The van's a lot slower....it'll be about the dinner hour......hope it's not raining and pouring !! I'll only have one cup left in my flask by then ! Have you got visitors for the day....golf planned....London for the weekend.....a short break ?! Consultation with the diary...you havn't forgotten that doctor's appointment(?) : these plans have changed last minute before ! I've got a bluetooth phone and a headset....but no flashing blue light !! Maurice could give you my e mail address....I could give you my number.....it's a lot of trouble for an hello, cuppa, goodbye ? What d'ya think ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 22nd Apr, 2010 20:26
as they say in "Are you being served": I'm free!
Maurice is hoping to email me tonight so I'll ask him then for yours.
Forecast is 14°, mainly sunny, no wind. Fingers crossed!! Back later

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Apr, 2010 20:48
Okeedoke ! I had you down as more of a Cardiffian Tom 'o Connor !!!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 22nd Apr, 2010 22:45
what time are you setting off?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Apr, 2010 22:52
O730hrs.....0800hrs approx.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 22nd Apr, 2010 23:01
Mogs - in case I've gone to bed when Maurice gets back - he must be so busy here! - look at 11.49 on http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/408...

You can email me time / place etc. I'm 7' 4", 23 stones with shocking pink hair but I'll carry a copy of the Huddersfield Examiner so you'll recognise me! Only joking of course!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Apr, 2010 23:24
I've gotta get some kip ! I don't carry this thing around with me....won't be doin' e mails in the morning ! My mate is heavier than that , but I'm not as thin as Stan !

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 22nd Apr, 2010 23:27
just emailed you Mogs. Hope you get it and reply!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 30th Apr, 2010 21:37
Hopefully, the thoughts & intentions behind the development of this thread (from a serious technical query on my part to a ... . . . well, I've no idea how it can be described!) have gven birth to a new thread "OPEN DOOR".

I really hope this will become a regular feature. It would certainly help me not only improve my technical understanding but also to get to know more about the wonderful people who come here.

So, being an optimist, I hereby declare this thread . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "definitely deceased"***.
Bye.

*** for the oldies, from the Monthy Python 'Deceased Parrot' sketch.
Please do not read if easily offended.
:
http://www.davidpbrown.co.uk/jokes/monty-python-pa...

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability