Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Secunia PSI says Windows XP needs updates

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

This thread has been marked as locked.
Charles65 Secunia PSI says Windows XP needs updates
Member 23rd Jan, 2010 00:45
Ranking: 0
User Since: 23rd Jan, 2010
System Score: N/A
I have gone to the Microsoft website with Windows update and found and downloaded and installed all updates that are available. Secunia on new scans says there is still Windows XP updates that are missing.
How to get this problem corrected ?

thedillpickl RE: Secunia PSI says Windows XP needs updates
Contributor 23rd Jan, 2010 04:37
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi Charles65;

The latest MS updates were for IE8 & Silverlight, came out late Thursday morning Seattle time. They required a system reboot. Did you shut your computer down & then restart? Did you do a full scan with PSI? Click on PSI icon, click on "Scan" tab, click on "Start Scan" icon. does this solve the problem?

regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Charles65 RE: Secunia PSI says Windows XP needs updates
Member 24th Jan, 2010 00:50
Score: 0
User Since: 23rd Jan 2010
Fred thanks for your reply.
I went to the Microsoft windows update and there was an update for Explorer v8, an update for silver light and one for windows xp. I loaded and installed all three, with ok results. I restarted the computer at least twice and then ran scan, PSI said still missing windows xp update. I followed the PSI link to windows update and no more updates shown. I again restarted the computer and then ran another scan with the same failure, so I appreaciate your assistance, but don't know what to look at next.
I always go to the microsoft update website at least once a week when I get the Microsoft downloads notifications. So is it possible an update has been missed somewhere and if so would the checking of the computer
by the microsoft website not locate something that is missing ?
Possible I have found a problem with the PSI scan ?
Thanks again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Secunia PSI says Windows XP needs updates
Expert Contributor 24th Jan, 2010 19:20
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello Charles ,

If you are still having problems , Belarc will cross check you have all MS/Windows security updates :-

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Secunia PSI says Windows XP needs updates
Contributor 25th Jan, 2010 05:20
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi Charles65;

I know this may sound nuts but instead of just a "restart" try powering down the computer (after closing windows, of course) and rebooting. After everything is done loading, open PSI and do a complete scan. Open PSI, click on the "Scan" tab, then click on the "Scan" icon on the right. The scan will take a few minuts, don't do anything to the computer utill it is done with the scan.

Do you still have any insecure programs? If so, post back with the file path. Open PSI, in the upper right corner, is the word "Simple" blue in color and "Advanced" black? If not click on "Advanced". Now click on the "Insecure Programs" tab, click on the [+] to the left of the insecure program, click on the "Technical details" icon in the toolbox. Please report the file path to us.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability