Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Feature Requests - Safest/unsafe Browser, non-admin icon

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
scottyp Feature Requests - Safest/unsafe Browser, non-admin icon
Member 26th Jan, 2010 01:28
Ranking: 0
User Since: 1st Aug, 2009
System Score: N/A
I love Secunia PSI's ability to help find vulnerable apps. It needs some more features to make me willing to spend money on it. ;)

Safest Browser:
I would love to have an app (tray icon) which can tell me if I'm launching an unsafe browser, as well as recommend the safest browser among the one PSI finds. Maybe even at startup AND upon a web browser launch. (Again, from the exact ones that PSI knows of). The idea could easily scale into alerts for all app launching, but the web browser is clearly the primary attack vector for regular users.

Possibly even providing a browser launch link/button right there? I'm sure this scares some users, but we are already trusting that the download links are valid, so I do not view this as a exceptional concern.

Regular User PSI tray app:
Also, the lack of PSI access using a non-admin acct is not acceptable these days. There was another poster who requested this and got the story to use RunAs, but its just not usable for the technically unsavy.

Not sure what the whole concern is with tray apps and non-admins, but its not acceptable IMHO. Users need to be able to have info flowing to/from their security apps (like PSI). I know that Norton 360 is also ghetto like this.

Personal users need this kind of help (these two ideas) in order to improve their security. When will we ever be able to convince Windows users to run as a regular user, if their security software can't!?! These ideas are intended to help improve the usability of PSI for the technically unsavy.

Please consider both ideas in light of this.

thedillpickl RE: Feature Requests - Safest/unsafe Browser, non-admin icon
Contributor 26th Jan, 2010 05:36
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi scottyp;

You might e-mail your suggestions to Secunia. Click on "Contact" at the bottom of this page, in "E-mail Addresses", click on " support@secunia.com ".

As far as running PSI as a user, I doubt that's possible. It has been discussed on this forum before. PSI needs administrator privileges for some of its functions. Check with Secunia, though, don't take my word.

regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
scottyp RE: Feature Requests - Safest/unsafe Browser, non-admin icon
Member 27th Jan, 2010 02:11
Score: 0
User Since: 1st Aug 2009
Last edited on 27th Jan, 2010 02:17
Thanks for your response, and I will contact them more directly.

Oh, I totally understand that admin rights are required for installing software and more, but don't tell me they are required for displaying a tray icon. I have 10 in my non-admin taskbar right now. Very doable.

But...

I think the reason is - the architecture of the app is too web-based (and simple). It could easily run as a Windows service, which then can use the elevated System identity permissions to do scans, while also having a tray icon for any user of the system which only queries for info the service manages.

In addition the lack of a central local storage location is the reason why they can't do this today. It uses IE temp files under the current user.

In fact the web-based design is scary. I really had wished I looked into it more before using it. Essentially they seem to be keeping a copy of all your PSI usage on their site, which you download when run into your temp IE files.

I'd much rather they refresh some local data instead.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Feature Requests - Safest/unsafe Browser, non-admin icon
Expert Contributor 27th Jan, 2010 11:32
Score: 2439
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
@scottyp ,

Secunia is quite clear about it here :-

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Caveat emptor :)

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: Feature Requests - Safest/unsafe Browser, non-admin icon
Contributor 27th Jan, 2010 19:29
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
Last edited on 27th Jan, 2010 19:30
Hi all
@scottyp-Please don't give those hard working Danes @ Secunia any ideas
"It needs some more features to make me willing to spend money on it. ;)"
The PSI is already free & does an excellent job for which it was designed.
BTW if you develop a program that you described that will tell you any better than PSI which browser is the most secure upon launch please let me know when I can download this FREE program from you-I certainly wouldn't pay for it-I already have the PSI.
To quote Anthony Wells-Caveat emptor.

Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 27th Jan, 2010 20:28

Hello wr ,

What do you think this new (FREE) programme should take into account , apart from known SA vulnerabilities ??

I was thinking security extensions like site advisors (their competence would need rating) or No Script type stuff (not the same efficiency between FF , Chrome and IE , apparently) , Chrome sandbox efficiency (only works properly with NFTS and not FAT32) , your personal surfing methods , etc., the security settings in IE , perhaps .

Perhaps you can throw some light in here ?? If you can spare the time :)

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 27th Jan, 2010 21:48
Hi Anthony

Probably a site adviser type of thingy to enhance/supplement what already is included in FF. Have no use for anything IE as all I use it for if a website won't open in FF or to update Windoze. I wouldn't have
anything that relates to Chrome as Google can't keep their
mess together regarding what v. is in Dev or Beta-worse than Adobe if that's possible. Speaking of which maybe scottyp could develop a
program for Adobe that would take some of the guesswork out of updating
that mess. Then again we wouldn't have as much fun here on the Forum would we?

I already have NoScript so don't need that for IE which is the only
other browser I have installed-besides with all the Activex that it uses
I'd wear-out my mouse clicking Deny or Accept.

Ya a sandboxie type thing might be good-I have often threatened to download Sandboxie but never taken the plunge.

Then again maybe all of this could be included in 1 big menu
& we could download all those items you
suggested & then delete what we don't use or complain about the size/functionality-after all it would be free.

I'll study/think about this for a while & try to take time to
post back here with more ideas. Besides, YoKenny,thedillpickle,
taffy078?(hope I got that right),MOGS, puget1, or even Maurice
might stop by with ideas-& I'm NOT leaving anybody out
on purpose-just my memory is only 1gig & I haven't defragged
my 'gray-matter' in quite some time not to mention how my HDD has been in use for quite a while & probably needs to be updated.

I certainly hope this finds you @ peace with most of the world & its inhabitants. I would say all the world but as I remember
someone saying "You can fool some of the people all the time &
all the people some of the time. But not all the people all the time."

Regards, wr

--
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Feature Requests - Safest/unsafe Browser, non-admin icon
Handling Contributor 27th Jan, 2010 22:06
Score: 11738
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
@wr
Take a look at this little gem. It is not a "wind up" but fact.

Beginning April 13, Adobe plans to release automatic, silent updates for its Adobe Reader PDF-viewing software.

In an interview with InfoSecurity.com, Brad Arkin, Adobe director of product security and privacy, said Acrobat Refresh Manager was quietly installed on millions of machines worldwide as part of the October 2009 quarterly patch released by the company.

The new, silent updater is currently disabled. Now, as before, Adobe Reader prompts users when an update is available and lets them decide whether to install it. Adobe wants to change this because users often postpone an update until they're confident the patch won't cause problems of its own. This delay opens what Arkin calls a "window of vulnerability."

Acrobat Refresh Manager is designed to take the user out of the equation; the updates will install when Adobe wants them to. This week's scheduled Adobe Reader update will begin test-activating the new updater with "selected users."

Depending on the results of this testing, Adobe Reader's automatic, silent updater may be operational across the millions of Reader installations starting in April. The company currently has announced no plans to launch an automatic-update feature for its Flash Player or any other Adobe products.

The mind boggles at that lot taking over part running of a user PC. Thank goodness I dumped Adobe years ago!

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 27th Jan, 2010 23:01
Last edited on 27th Jan, 2010 23:05
Hi Maurice

Thanks a bunch for the heads-up on Adobe making a
bigger mess of a already big mess. Yeah I too dumped Adobe reader
shortly after using the Secunia Forum & found out about Foxit reader.
The only part of Adobe I use is the Shockwave Flash v. 10.0.42.34 plugin
because that's what my bank uses for display. If not for that I wouldn't have anything Adobe on my computer.I actually read
your post 3 times to let sink in what you said-thanks again-hope everything's going well for you.

We're just sitting around enjoying the 40, sunny weather today
waiting for the possibility of 4-8" of snow on Fri(29th).
So I guess it'll be shovel! wr, shovel!

Take care & maybe Fred will give me a 'heads-up' on the approaching storm...if he can 'digout' long enough.

Regards, wr

EDIT: Congratulations on over 2,000 posts-you do 1 heckofajob Maurice.

--
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 27th Jan, 2010 23:12
@wr

I am just updating this thread:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/329...

@puget1 has found a new PDF Reader. Done some trials - very impressive for a freebie & I think better than Foxit.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 28th Jan, 2010 00:58
Thanks Maurice

I had meant to subscribe to that thread to
see how your testing went with the PDF program. Thought I had but evidently not as I didn't get notification of
your posting. Went to website & downloaded but not installed yet.

Thanks also to puget1 for the find.

Gee, I must be getting senile-forgot to subscribe to that thread while there. Will close now & do that ASAP.
Thanks again Maurice.

Regards, wr

--
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 28th Jan, 2010 03:56
@Maurice, I would know if Adobe was updating. Because of my connection speed, I wouldn't be able to get to my e-mail for 45 minutes! BTW, been running Foxit with no prob, will check out the new one as you suggest. Thanks.

@WR, calling for same here Fri. pm. About your & Anthony's idea for program; What, no dancing girls!?

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Feature Requests - Safest/unsafe Browser, non-admin icon
Member 28th Jan, 2010 09:16
Last edited on 28th Jan, 2010 09:18 Hi,
The PSI is free. Our paid-for-version is the CSI (Corporate Software Inspector). An overview of the CSI can be found here http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/corporat...

I've forwarded your suggestion.
However, the primary purpose of our tool is simply to point out vulnerabilities. Our secure browsing feature is a non-intrusive variant of what you suggest. We don't tell people which browser to use, merely which exploits are currently unpatched.

There are certain technical reasons the PSI must run as admin. Some of the drivers we use is simply unavailable to regular users. Another reason is that software installs are only available to the admin user. A regular user would be unable to react to the problems.
Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Handling Contributor 28th Jan, 2010 12:18
A classic case of "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

The PSI record of highlighting vulnerabilities is near perfect - let us leave it that way.

If we keep pestering Secunia to add "whistles & bells" for no good reason they may sell up to Adobe & all our problems would then be solved in a Flash!!!

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 28th Jan, 2010 16:20
@Fred thought about dancing girls but that probably would result in productivity @ a all time low.

Glad a Secunia official stepped in to remind us all
what the PSI is about & briefly explain how % what it needs to work properly. Thanks for a great FREE program.

@ Maurice Joyce--couldn't have said it better-or-KISS...KeepItSimpleStupid. Then again maybe you was remembering this quote from Albert Einstein-

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

I also agree that we don't need to even think about Adobe winding up
with the PSI. You're right Maurice things would be 'done'
in a Flash. Probably gone forever. If not would be
a real pain to update it.

Hope everyone's having a beautiful day.

Regards, wr

--
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 29th Jan, 2010 04:36
@Emil R. Petersen, thank you.

@Maurice & WR, what do we need PSI to do? Inform and then provide the tools to fix. Which I agree, it aptly does.

Down with clutter, bells & whistles!

my best;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
scottyp RE: Feature Requests - Safest/unsafe Browser, non-admin icon
Member 30th Jan, 2010 00:03
Score: 0
User Since: 1st Aug 2009
While PSI is nice, its kinda incomplete in my eyes. Simple, yes; useful, not quite for everyone; and "not broken", hmmmmm.

I'm not gonna bitch up a storm about PSI since it works pretty well, but it has had several issues with false positives (verified by the vendors) and delayed updates causing panic for users updating within a week after when patches are made available. Nothing says "we suck at our simple task" like not be able to detect a NEW version that is higher/greater then the one that is vulnerable. Its the one thing the program needs to do, and these are the most common pieces of software in the world! Yikes! Go easy fan-boys.

uh, also, can you stop hijacking my thread please? Thanks. Mod, you can close this, disable it or whatever.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 30th Jan, 2010 13:29

Hi ScottyP ,

Thought you were bringing us your FREE replacement to out do PSI , instead more whingeing and whining :((.

Don't get me wrong I'm a real fan of wine and music with an eclectic taste ; but I have never ever been nor ever will be an IT fan (not in my lifetime) other than for the exquisite colour definition I get on my 32" LCD flatscreen HD TV !! No names , no pack drill ;;

Boy , you think I'm a boy ; nobody in their right mind could make that mistake , so it doesn't say much for your intellectual process .

Now go tidy your room , I'm out of here !!

Take care
Anthony

PS: not many MOD's around here , will a few old Rockers suffice ?? no need to answer :))

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 30th Jan, 2010 17:16
Hi Anthony

I share your disappointment in not getting the new free program
from scottyp. I too like wine (not whine) & cheese.

And where does he get the idea all are boys? I certainly qualify for man, & some here are 'fanladies'.

And not to flame you Anthony but I'm not a old Rocker, I'm a Senior Rocker or Silver Rocker.

As to hijacking a thread--

"Hi,
generally, we won't remove users or delete posts/threads unless it's obviously intended as spam. Users going off topic naturally cluster a thread up a bit, but unless you post spam or otherwise cause problems for the community you shouldn't worry (though we may occasionally remove double posts and the like)."

--

Kind regards,

Emil R. Petersen
Secunia PSI Support

So far as I can tell, no one is spamming you.

'Nuff said.

Regards, wr

--
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 30th Jan, 2010 17:34
Last edited on 30th Jan, 2010 17:56
@Anthony,
Tut Tut - what intellect.Let us take a look at what he/she is saying.

1. "I love Secunia PSI's ability to help find vulnerable apps. It needs some more features to make me willing to spend money on it. ;)"

Helloooooooooo - you cannot invest money in something that is free.

2."I would love to have an app (tray icon) which can tell me if I'm launching an unsafe browser"

All browsers are unsafe - they give U access to the WWW (Wild Wild West) - purists would argue U should only have one browser to lessen exposure. Take your pick - no coloured icon lights required.

3."but it has had several issues with false positives (verified by the vendors) and delayed updates causing panic for users updating within a week after when patches are made available."

Evidence? What false positives? What panic? Give a link on this Forum where someone has got in a panic other than U.

4."like not be able to detect a NEW version that is higher/greater then the one that is vulnerable."

Read what the programme does before using it. Secunia only reports on vulnerabilities. It is NOT a general updater. It does NOT report on bug fix & cosmetic change updates or Beta versions of programmes & never has.

5."also, can you stop hijacking my thread please?"

a.What a cheek - U hijacked this thread
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/339...

Fred had already given the correct answer on how to include programmes on the database. Your intervention caused panic by giving a link to Vulnerability Information>Secunia Advisories which has absolutely nothing to do with the exam question.

b. Who said it is your thread? I can see nothing in the rules for using the Forum that states the initiator has the right of ownership.

6. "Thanks. Mod, you can close this, disable it or whatever."

More reading required. U can switch it off yourself.

I have no doubt that many fans of Secunia are looking forward to your Secunia replacement programme. Given your stated knowledge on what the current one does I feel we are all in for a very long wait.

@wr
I thought U were our American agent. I think this is really @Johnski. Please remember that when booking seats with NASA for the Moon trip we only want SINGLE tickets!!

@Fred
U are good with a dictionary. The default language of this Forum is English (GB). What does Yikes,uh & fan-boy mean? Not in the English GB dictionary.

"Never test the depth of the water with both feet."

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 30th Jan, 2010 18:15
Last edited on 30th Jan, 2010 18:16
Hello wr and Maurice ,

Just a couple of points , if I may :-

@wr ,

My humble apologies for my offensive language , I was thinking "good old Rock and Roll" but that is no excuse , O'Silver One ; I hope this won't stop you helping me confuse our Readers :))

@Maurice ,

Before scottyp started sowing panic on z25blink's thread to which you referred , z25blink had already received a reply direct from Fred and the esteemed M.Hansen in this other thread :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/339...

"Angels fearing to tread" springs to mind .

Y'all tek care***
Anthony

***before I get flamed again , I'm using Lancashire dialect :))

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 30th Jan, 2010 18:46
Last edited on 30th Jan, 2010 18:49
Hi all

@Anthony
Must be doing a good job of confusing as I said in post-not to flame you-
Yea I really like old time Rock & Roll too! I vividly remember when 'the lads from Liverpool' appeared here on the telly-the 1st time.
Probably shouldn't have admitted to that.

@Maurice
Yes, can still function as agent here but

It's hard to remember to drain the swamp when you're up to your buttocks in alligators.

To all

Just sitting here w/cupa joe occasionally looking out window
@ the 6-8" of fresh snow & enjoying the good laughs this Forum sometimes provides. To speak nothing of the intellectual
stimulation it provides.

wr

EDIT: Apology accepted but not required Anthony.

--
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 30th Jan, 2010 19:05
Last edited on 30th Jan, 2010 19:07
Hi wr ,

Most gracious O'Silver One .

You did say "not flame" , but I'm long enough in the tooth to be able to read between the lines .

I used to see them lads perform live in local nightclubs before their fame and "the mania" took them over , you could touch them and talk to them and actually hear them sing and play .

John singing "Twist and Shout" - sublime !!

Imagine all the people having that amount of pleasure stored in their memories .

I have a glass of local Merlot to hand as the sun has slipped behind the yardarm and it's apero time :))))

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Feature Requests - Safest/unsafe Browser, non-admin icon
Member 1st Feb, 2010 10:42
Hi,
The PSI is not intended for everyone. We do have a much more feature-rich vulnerability scanner, and it's called the Commercial Software Inspector (CSI). The PSI is strictly intended for home users, thus the "Personal" in "Personal Software Inspector".

The PSI does occasionally register a false positive, yes. This has to do with our system of detection, where we extract version numbers from files. If you ever register a false positive, please write us immediately at support@secunia.com. We will then modify our rules to combat the problem.

Occasionally certain vendors (I'm sure regular posters know which) neglect to update the "version" fields of new files, even if that field on that file has been updated regularly in speed with new versions since the dawn of time. In those cases, we need a little time to catch up.

If software is not being properly detected please create a software suggestion for some exe files relating to the software. It helps if you write a comment on your suggestion, and email us, so we know it's a detection issue (since people occasionally suggest software we already have in our database).

If you follow this procedure we'll usually have all your troubles solved within the shortest while possible.

About disabling/deleting the post. We only remove posts that are offensive or obviously spam. We do not "close" threads once the original problem is solved, or remove answers. Keeping the threads help our users, by allowing them to track down threads relating to their own problems, which can generate results a bit faster (especially if it's after office hours, or in the weekend).
Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability