Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: All confused over Chrome

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Google
And, this specific program:
Google Chrome 4.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
TiMow All confused over Chrome
Dedicated Contributor 26th Jan, 2010 18:35
Ranking: 737
User Since: 26th Jun, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 26th Jan, 2010 18:36

As of 24/01 Google Chrome 3.0.195.38 shows as cat.2 threat under Secure Browsing tab although fully patched (as reported by wes11 - following this thread to what appears to be a `happy result`).Although on the About Chrome on the tools drop down reported I had the latest update, I knew 4.x was out there. As Firefox is my default and primary browser, this was not too big a deal, although certain aspects of Chrome I do like and use. Decided to update today, with the following results:-

Downloaded and installed Google Chrome 4.0.249.78 (non beta) - from Google site - reboot and PSI scan 2x before any showing on PSI, then only under Patched tab, with the old version still showing under Secure Browsing - non beta chrome doesn`t seem to overwrite, but creates a new file when updated. Deleted this old version to recycle bin; still no Chrome, only IE8 and Firefox.

In view of this went for the beta update (also 4.0.249.78 - offered as a default and not chosen by me). As normal, reboot and rescan - toolbar Secunia bubble reported that Chrome and Gears had been removed, but no sign of new installation under Patched or Secure Browsing (or anywhere else) except for the About Chrome informed that the installation had succeeded.

As part of my initial search re. Chrome 4.x, Filehippo download was also an option. Although I haven`t `till now used Filehippo, as I normally try to download from official vender sites, I am aware that more experienced Secunia members refer often to this, and having checked it out, it showed latest version of Chrome beta was 4.0.302.3 - downloaded/installed, usual reboot and scan and now shows on PSI as Patched and Secure Browsing - Insecure,no solution, cat2 threat! - BACK TO SQUARE ONE! (SA38061 reports that threat is for 3.x and 4.x Chrome)

Finally, although this is my first post, I have been a user of the Forum for some time and through self taught trial and error (I have no formal IT training) and advice of regular contributors, I have been able to maintain a 100% score. So I must therefore appologise for being a bit long winded.
I would welcome any thoughts re. a secure version of Chrome.

TiMow.

DELL Inspriron 6400, Centrino Duo, XP Pro SP3.

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.

Anthony Wells RE: All confused over Chrome
Expert Contributor 26th Jan, 2010 21:28
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 26th Jan, 2010 21:43
Hello TiMow ,

Google has been changing recently what is in the Dev Channel , the Beta , Beta (stable) and Stable releases ; neither FileHippo can get the channel designation correct (the changelog is usually accurate enough) , nor can Secunia PSI all the time (at the moment) , although it (always) seems to report Google Gears correctly whatever the version (and in the "patched" tab (gears doesn't update often).

Today my stable 4.0.249.64. was ONLY showing via Gears in the patched tab .

Today it updated to 4.0.249.78 (not indicating in "about" it's channel) and now shows in "patched" and in "secure browsing" as insecure SA38061 . I have two entries for Gears , pointing to the two numbered versions : ie : I am using the newer version but I have not been into the Chrome folder to kill the old version folder . PSI can take a while to update itself - try reloading the iterfaca or exit and restart or just wait/be patient .

You can/should keep yourself up to date from/using the various blogs , especially if you are in the Beta channel , you'll need to find which one(s) help you - try Googling "Chrome Blog" : eg: I get and use :-

http://chrome.blogspot.com/

or

http://blog.chromium.org/

or , here to find the channel you want to use :-

http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-chann...

and here for all the up to date channel releases ;-

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/

You need to do the work yourself . You will note that the stable and Beta versions are the same , you are using the latest Dev channel release NOT a Beta ; if you are not sure what you are doing , I would recommend you go back to 4.0.249.78. from here for the stable channel :-

http://www.google.com/chrome?hl=en

Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: All confused over Chrome
Expert Contributor 26th Jan, 2010 22:01
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
Firstly...you decide which is to be your default browser. In Chrome's case ; go to Tools and then the Basics tab....see the option below.
Secondly...Secunia does not monitor Beta versions: why it does'nt show up in the secure browsing tab.
Thirdly...older version/files are'nt automatically removed. It has to be done manually. Why they may still be detected/show up. http://www.google.com/chrome?hl=en According to Anthony, the new Stable version can be gotten at the foregoing link: which tis best to copy and paste into browser.
I hope that clarifies some matters for you.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 26th Jan, 2010 22:17
Last edited on 26th Jan, 2010 22:42
Hi MOGS ,

4.0.249.64 stable was not picked up by PSI (only Gears)
4.0.249.78 is both a stable and Beta release and is fully picked up by PSI , maybe , because of SA37769 which dates from today (26/01/2010) ; it refers to 3.0.x and gives the "solution" as update to 4.0.249.78 - which (on my PC) still shows as insecure in "secure browsing" which is confusing and part of TiMow's update confusion :ie: the solution is made and now SA 38061 (dated 22/01/2010 and updated today to include 4.x) is marked no solution 3.x and 4.x !!

Try reloading PSI interface , you should be getting picked up now by PSI .

Secunia are probably still redoing their rules :((

Hope that is more clear .
Anthony

IMPORTANT EDITED at 22.26 CET .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
war59312 RE: All confused over Chrome
Member 27th Jan, 2010 03:39
Score: 3
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
Very screwed up.

It thinks I have Chrome installed in 24 places. :( WTF!!

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/6193/wtf2ac.png

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/8849/wtf1i.png

BTW I am running latest build, 4.0.302.3 in which there are no security issues.

POS!!!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 27th Jan, 2010 06:00
Hi Anthony !
I've just run a scan and found 2xGears 0.5.33.0 :Chrome 4.0.249.78 and 64 in Patched ! 3 browsers insecure in Secure Browsing tab....1x IE8 and Chrome showing twice . 3 shown as insecure in the Overveiw.
In About Chrome I'm shown as having 4.0.249.78.
This situation seems to have arisen overnight !!
I just thought I'd let you know....off to work now, so I'll have to look at it again tonight.
Have a good day.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 27th Jan, 2010 11:57

Hello MOGS ,

The info you have posted would seem correct if you have not removed /deleted the old ...64 .

PSI detection rules have changed 25or26/01/2010 .

Check the SA's showing in secure browsing .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: All confused over Chrome
Dedicated Contributor 27th Jan, 2010 17:37
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Firstly, thanks to Anthony and Mogs for their prompt and informative input. Unfortunately circumstances dictate that I can spare only a few minutes here and there for computer time, hence my late response.

Secondly, some of the terminology/tech. speak goes a little over my head. I am unsure as to the meaning of the Dev Channel to which A.W. refers, and further references to channels. Also it is now apparent there are gaps in my knowledge when it comes to this beta issue. I am unsure of differences between/advantages of beta and non-beta (stable).

One of the reasons I delayed installing Chrome Beta was because on Google Chrome (Beta) download site, immediately under download box, is written ..."Try the stable version..." - what is meant by the implication that Chrome beta is unstable? And now A.W. informs that a 3rd alternative of a stable Chrome Beta is available.

There are obvious descrepancies between PSI recognition of the different build levels that I have tried, compared with the other contributers of this thread. The only version that shows up on both of my Patched and Secure Browsing tabs is the latest 4.0.302.3 (beta), but as cat 2 threat,etc. This is contrary to "war 59312", who reports that all is A OK; and Mogs who states that PSI doesn`t monitor beta.

For now I prefer that it shows, even if unsecure, as opposed to not seeing anything under Secure Browsing, and still maybe having security issues.
When time permits I will probably follow A.W.`s advice, and try downgrading.

In answer to Mogs... I use Firefox for nearly everything (3.6 is great), with Chrome purely as a secondary option. I like how the iGoogle home page can be personalised similar to IE8, when I used to use it. I live abroard and certain elements are very beneficial to have at hand.

Thanks for now,
TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 27th Jan, 2010 18:02
Last edited on 27th Jan, 2010 18:22
Hello TiMow ,

"Channel" is Google's terminology for the different types/users of Chrome ; this link , from my previous post , explains channels and the likely consequences of each :-

PSI changes its detection rules from time to time and has just done so (probably because of the security/vulnerabilitiy current in Chrome and Shown in the SA (Security Advisory) -click on the SA number and you see the problem explained by Secunia) ; if you use my link to download the "stable" version it happens (today)to be the same as the beta version ; it will overload but not remove your current version files ; but it will display in "patched" and "secure browsing" . You will need to manually remove the other version . Previously your 4.0.302.3 would not have been shown by PSI either as it is a "development" version .

Secunia may change the rules again :((

Ask if you are still not clear .

Anthony

EDIT ; just repaired the link .

I like my Ff 3.6 and the way it looks and runs , including iGoogle - you can now add extensions to Chrome (not quite the same as Ff) and it starting to take good shape :))
iGoogle is the same in Chrome if you set your "home" page to Google .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 27th Jan, 2010 21:14
Evening Anthony.
Had a bit more time to look at it.....yes, you were right; my fault; I hadn't carried out my own oft repeated advice !!
I've since cleared it all up and installed the 4.0.249.78(36714)stable version, and read the advisory.
Beta versions will be monitored from now on?
To Secunia Profile to update that before I forget...........

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 28th Jan, 2010 11:13
Thanks again Anthony.

Sorry that you had point out a second time the channel info link - that clarifies a lot now. I completely missed it - probably scrolled too fast; less haste, more speed. Although I tend not to follow links on the first or second run-thrus`; and am guilty of "link blindess", especially here on the forum (but not a good idea on ones own thread!), when I see a few - too much deviation sometimes, although useful info can be found, as in this case.

(Now have CoolPreviews add-on, on Ff 3.6 - I`m sure your familiar with it, but for anyone who`s not, its possible to preview a link location in a small window on the current page, without leaving that page - resulting in links being checked without too much deviation/surfing).

Will follow your advice (when time permits) and revert to Chrome 4.0.249.78 (stable) - if security issues are still there (I guess they will be), I`ll probably put Chrome "away in the cupboard", along with IE8, until things are better sorted.

Have customized iGoogle home page for Ff. now, so everthings tickettyboo.

Finally, sorry to contradict, but Chrome 4.0.302.3 (beta) was recognised by PSI on both Patched and Secure Browsing on my system whereas on an earlier build that you or Mogs said showed up, didn`t with me.

By default, I have to route thru` Google.CH, and it always reported that I was up to date with Chrome 3.0.195.38. As querried in the past by one of our U.S. friends on a another thread, perhaps, some of the updates and software builds are geographic specific. (e.g. people are posting re. Adobe updates that are 1 or 2 versions behind mine, that they need to update to something I`ve been running for a while -- but thats another story!)

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 28th Jan, 2010 12:20
Last edited on 28th Jan, 2010 12:24

Hello Timow ,

Thank you for your update .

I have been using Coolpreviews for as long as I can remember , like you I always recommend it .

My favuorites are Colourful Tabs on a Noia 2 (eXtreme) theme - Personas used to run with that at the same time in 3.5 , but they have messed with that in 3.6 - annoying to my old eyes . At my age I find "No Squint" brilliant and waiting for "TidyRead" to work again (both were recommended to me here :)).

For iGoogle I just transferred the url to Chrome -> Spanner (top right of screen)->options->basics tab so FF and chrome show the same (actually I use my Google sign in page which includes iGoogle ) or you could pin it to the default new tab page .

PSI rules are sure to change again so I always rely on the Gears entry to check my version and ten look for security warnings wherever (Secunia Advissories or Blogs).

Take care
Anthony

PS: I don't know of regional differences as such as SA's are world wide , but there can be problems when "language versions" are not updated all at once .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 29th Jan, 2010 14:57
Probably my final update re. this particular issue, and is primarily for A.W., if you come across this.

Had time to revert back to earlier Chrome today.
First backed up personnal data as per instructions on the link you provided (although didn`t appear to be needed as the new installed version - 4.0.249.78 - was able to pick up this data), uninstalled 4.0.302.3 beta, from add/remove, and downloaded/installed 4.0.249.78.
Everything fine(ish) - basically same as before - recognised by PSI (after reboot and scan) in patched and secure browsing, still as cat 2 threat; - nothing`s really changed then. Wont use it for now.

Just a couple of little niggles, though:-

- on About Chrome on tools drop down, version designation shows as "4.0.249.78 unknown (36714)". "Unkwown" is a bit strange - is it beta(stable) or non-beta?; as on the other thread - "Google 3.0.195.38 is not secure for browsing!", by wes11; you (A.W.) quoted: "The latest stable (non Beta) version is "4.0.249(35722)stable". What is the relevance of the 5 bracketed numbers after the version number, as they differ in these 2 instances?; (is this again a possible regional variant, inherent only to Google - i.e. I`m Google.CH; and I guess you, (A.W.), are Google.Fr ??).

- as it was installing, I watched to see if PSI would pick up the changes via the bubble on the toolbar Secunia icon, but the icon had disappeared. Hadn`t seen that happen before. Re-appeared after reboot.

If you do read this, (Anthony), thanks for your help - if nothing else I`ve climbed another rung on the knowledge ladder re. beta.

`Till the next problem.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 29th Jan, 2010 16:01
Last edited on 29th Jan, 2010 16:07
Hello again Timow .

AFAIK re you qestions/comments :-

1)FWIW , the cat.2 threat is slightly less severe than that for IE (which has long time been "no solution" and seems likely to remain so for the forseeable) . It would seem patchable for Chrome as per the "Dev channel" version 4.0.302.3 ; so take care or wait , you have the info (click on SA 38061 in "secure browsing" to decide for yourself :))

2)I have v4.0.249.78unknown(36714) from the stable channel (for now) , the exact same version could come from the Beta channel (at the moment) hence the "channel unkown" and in brackets , this is the "build" ref N (tends to change with the versions .

3)I have not heard of geographical/regional differences for Chrome ; I'm guessing , but that would/could cause massive security nightmares (Secunia is International) , however language editions can take time to update which does give major headaches ; this happened with Open Office recently !!

4)I load through Google.com (it gives me better access to what I want) although my bilingual PC sometimes selects .fr (don't ask) . The link I posted is the "sable" channel link and you select your "language" version from the drop down menu (top right) ; Mozilla Firefox does separate between Mozilla-Europe and Mozilla.org and means you can select between English (UK) and English (USA) at download . Presumably you can choose French or German (or others) via .CH , but not Suisse .

5)The beta channel used to "public release (stable) Beta's" which can be confusing (as it is already:))

Ask if anything else springs to mind or turn off the lights if you're the last one out .

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 29th Jan, 2010 21:37
Sorry to butt in, you two....but is the word "unknown" appearing in the About Chrome version/wording? If so, that's a difference from my veiw.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 29th Jan, 2010 21:43

In my "about" , it shows at upper left under Google Chrome in black rather than bottom left/centre which is the running check .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
war59312 RE: All confused over Chrome
Member 30th Jan, 2010 03:17
Score: 3
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
O.K just updated to Chrome build 5.0.307.1.

Did a new scan.

No difference. Still shows 24 installs of chrome 4 crap.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 30th Jan, 2010 08:42
My version number is showing top left and bottom left..once having checked for update.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 30th Jan, 2010 11:37
Hello Mogs

As I understand it, on the "About Google Chrome", the version and build number (in brackets) of the version that you have installed shows in the main upper left area (left of the pretty ball). Peculiar to Chrome, when you open the "About..." box, it also checks to see if your version is up to date, and then lists this in brackets - hence the 2 listings.
How accurate the update check is, I don`t know, as on my initial post at the top of this thread (26/Jan) I was informed that 3.0.195.38 was up to date, when there were different 4.x versions already available.
Prior to the availability of beta versions, there was no wording shown after the version number; but having downloaded beta versions 4.0.249.78, followed by 4.0.302.3, it had to distinguish these as `beta` with the word beta after the version number.
Now, as Anthony has pointed out, version 4.0.249.78 appears to be the latest stable build, but is also available in beta, which, I guess, is why we both (and probably countless others) have "(unknown)" showing as well.

I remian confident that Google are striving to resolve the security issue , and soon make a patched, secure update (as opposed to MS who seem content to rest on their laurels with IE8 and let vulnerable users take risks every time they use it - I can`t understand why so many users remain loyal to it when there are equally good, if not better, alternative browsers)

For my part I will continue to use Firefox.

Just as an aside - I don`t know if Mozilla, as a company, is floated on the public domain, but if it is, then it should be a good investment - end users should change to it in their 1000`s.

As for "war59312", I don`t know what can of worms you`ve opened, but according to filehippo version 4.0.302.3 beta remains the latest build version. Where is it showing 24 builds?, and from where did you download 5.0.307.1? If you have been downloading many/different versions of Chrome, then it seems to create a new file every time (in my experience).
I would recommend that you unistall Chrome and clear out any remaining files - see Anthony`s link -

- lower down the page it gives advice - and start again and install version 4.0.249.78. But before you start, I would "create a restore point", so if things went t**s (belly)-up, then you can always return to where you were before you started.

Any Q`s re. this I can try to help with suggestions from a layman`s point of view (as I did this myself yesterday) - although there are better qualified amongst us!

TiMow

P.S. BTW, having opened IE8 for the first time in months, last week, in order to download and install the updates/patch(es), after the recent security scare, so I could downgrade from cat 5 threat back to cat 2; after closing it I ran Spybot search and destroy which found 1 security issue and 3 malwares, which I subsequently removed. I`d only connected to MS update! Yes I do have firewall and other security protection.

P.P.S. I should probably respond on the relevent threads, but is upgrading to PSI v.1.5.0.1 a problem at the moment? (I still use v.1.5.0.0). Is it a Secunia problem or other software problem? I will follow with interest.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 30th Jan, 2010 12:26
Last edited on 30th Jan, 2010 12:42
Hello Timow ,

Version 5.x is the latest from the Dev Channel (her's the link , again :)) :-

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/

I can only repeat what I said before , FileHippo is currently not able to designate version numbers correctly for Chrome - you need the blogs

FWIW , I/we tend to ignore war due to the use of foul language in his/her posts ; I am renowned for my colourful turn of phrase but out of respect for the Community of this Forum , I try to control it .

Nothing "precious" , simple "good manners" .

I still use 1.5.0.0 (I'm lazy) and it is spot on ; 1.5.0.1 is a language update (see the changelog) :-

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Take care
Anthony

PS:Everybody is equally qualified to comment in my book , preferably in non-techie words and phrases that I can understand :))

PPS:tte ad-on "IE tab" is no longer working in Ff v3.6 , but does work in the latest chrome ; it uses the "embedded" (current version) IE engine in your "other" browsers and so still has "implicit" IE security risks - just makes my life easier .

Never ,ever heard of a malware infection from a M$/Windows update site .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 30th Jan, 2010 14:17
Last edited on 30th Jan, 2010 14:20
Hello again, Anthony

Thanks for the heads up - I wasn`t aware.
I`ve followed the forum for about 3/4 of a year now (I was using PSI for a while before I set up my profile, which, I guess, is where the "user since.." originates) and am familiar with most of the regular contributors, especially those who seem to know thier apples from their oranges; providing not too many other fruit are brought into the mix; - then my basket is just not big enough!
Will see what transpires.

Perhaps, I should be slightly careful about offering assistance up front - not just because of my knowledge base (I`m happy to offer assistance on problems that I`ve been able to rectify - sometimes more simply than some of the other solutions offered), but more down to time issues - a family, house and garden, dog, etc - and still more fresh snow to clear!

I`m still not finding time to follow all the links and blogs, eh?

Also, not too familiar with filehippo - only what I`ve seen in references on the forum, - looked at it for the first time last week.
Seems a little bit like belts and braces to me; - for all its good.

You kind of lost me a bit in your PPS re. the IE tab add-on. As far as I`m concerned IE is surplus to requirements at the moment, and I`m not too much of an add-on junkie anyway. I think I now have Ff. set up pretty much as I want it, and better than IE8 ever was.
Will wait to see about Chrome.

I can`t guarantee that my forementioned malware originated from MS update, or Windows update (I used both), but the time and date coincides, with when I updated iexplorer, and spybot gives the file location as "....\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\iGSh.png " (also 2 more with the following suffixes - "..\iMSh.png" and "..\iPSh.png") - all 3 were Paint Shop Pro pics, (which I haven`t used since my trial ran out).
As spybot listed them as malware and advised removing them, I didn`t risk examining them any further - so who knows? All 3 were included under the heading "Fraud.GhostAntivirus"
And the security issue has a file path, ending up in the "..iexplore.exe" (whole file path is too long winded and am unable to cut and paste from spybot).
If it proves that spybot got it wrong and these are part of the update, then I can return them, as they are only removed and not yet fully deleted, but for now they`re in quarrantine.

Finally, I think, like you, I will refrain from updating PSI for the foreseeable future, and see what happens on the relevent threads. Hopefully there`ll be some input from Secunia soon.

Thanks for your thoughts, again

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 30th Jan, 2010 14:35
Last edited on 30th Jan, 2010 14:41
Further thoughts Timow ,

If I had the choice , it would be attacking the dog with snow in the garden , whilst the family slave over a hot stove preparing meat and drink for the animals in the garden ; beats a stupid old Forum anyday .

Good call to leave the stuff in Quarantine , I would ask Spybot*** to recheck for false positives (sounds possible) or try them at Jotti or Virustotal .

If your happy as is forget the "IE Tab add-on . My personal 'techies' keep in as much ITdarkness as they can ; no serious breaks self-inflicted , as yet :))

Keep shovelling the dog
Anthony

EDIT
*** they may have updated their malware rules around the same time as you updated IE , stuff happens

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer