Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: [b]PSI GUI says it needs flash[/b]

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Tarq57 [b]PSI GUI says it needs flash[/b]
Member 27th Jan, 2010 07:00
Ranking: 16
User Since: 20th Dec, 2007
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 27th Jan, 2010 07:01

In the "0verview" tab, at the bottom pane where the "historic development" section is, exists a message:
(unknown source)
Cannot display graph, as Adobe Flash Player does not appear to be installed in Internet Explorer on your computer, or the version installed is older than version 8.x. Install Flash for Internet Explorer

I have installed flash for internet explorer. Twice, to be sure. It features in "add/remove programs". It is definitely there. Three restarts later, and nothing has changed.

Version Secunia PSI v1.5.0.1

--
Windows XP Home 32, SP3- patched as they are released, AMD 3500+, 2G RAM, avast 8.0, Autorun Eater, Secunia PSI.

Maurice Joyce RE: [b]PSI GUI says it needs flash[/b]
Handling Contributor 27th Jan, 2010 10:39
Score: 11569
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
UPDATING ADOBE FLASH
====================
Works with Windows XP,Vista & Windows 7 - 32 & 64 Bit systems.

Adobe have not fully mastered(unlike many other vendors) the art of stopping elements of a programme (Flash in this instance) from working prior to an install of a new version. The result is that an "in use" flash ocx file will not be uninstalled. Nor, have they widely publicised the fact that they do not support removal of older versions by using Control Panel>Add/Remove or other 3rd party uninstallers.

Advanced users just need to install the new version(s),then find the old OCX file & zap it.

Others may wish to take a longer route to successfully remove a vulnerability from Adobe Flash you should:

1. Download & use the Flash Uninstaller from here:

#####Before actually running the uninstaller it is a good idea to close all browsers,PSI and any other programme U think may be using Flash #####

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

2. Reboot to clear out any left over ocx files.

3. Rescan using PSI - if there are any insecure Flash elements left what is the path to them? U should not proceed to stage 4 until all U clear any problems found.(The PSI overview page may look a little odd because it uses Flash for the pictorials)

Note: At this stage,if PSI finds any elements of Flash in the C:\i386 folder or on any drive other than C that is an OEM reinstallation partition (normally D drive) or a drive U use solely to backup your work U can safely create an ignore rule. It may also be in the Recycle Bin.

4. Reinstall the latest Internet Explorer Flash Player from here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/ (I strongly advise U not to select the Beta version unless an advanced user). The latest stable & secure version is: 10.0.42.34

4A.If U are also using Firefox, Opera and other Gecko-based browsers U need this link as well:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_fire... (Again, I strongly advise U select the stable & secure version: 10.0.42.34)
Security.
Adobe also have a very bad habit of changing your Flash settings each time they plug vulnerabilities. To change the security settings to your liking & regain control of your PC click here:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en...

Bloat ware.
If you used the Adobe site, rather than FileHippo to update you will also find they try or have installed an unnecessary Download Manager.

It is bloat ware by a third party Company called NOS. If found I would uninstall it via Add/Remove.

09:38 27/01/2010

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Tarq57 RE: [b]PSI GUI says it needs flash[/b]
Member 27th Jan, 2010 11:39
Score: 16
User Since: 20th Dec 2007
Thank you very much, Maurice, for the comprehensive instructions. (Some of which I knew already, and some not. Suspected that download manager was rubbish, hadn't seen it before, got rid of it.)

Went through the full procedure using the uninstaller and stable installers (As suggested) from filehippo. Including reboots. Including verifying after removal that no flash ocx files remained. Including turning off any programs (including PSI) that might have been using flash during the proceedure.
Installed anew. Rebooted. Secunia PSI still fails to display flash content correctly, and still gives the message that flash is not installed on the interface, even though it is listed (following a full system scan) in "patched programs"
It's not a deal breaker, it's just that it is supposed to work, and I like things to work as they should.

--
Windows XP Home 32, SP3- patched as they are released, AMD 3500+, 2G RAM, avast 8.0, Autorun Eater, Secunia PSI.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: [b]PSI GUI says it needs flash[/b]
Expert Contributor 27th Jan, 2010 12:13
Score: 2414
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 27th Jan, 2010 12:14

@Tarq57

An "old" trick when all else failed used
to be to go to the flash folder , click the "FlashUtil10d.exe" file which opens a window telling you there is an update available (I know :)) agree the update and the folder and files "reset" themselves . It still worked some months ago to resolve your particular problem .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Jan, 2010 12:23
Thanks for the suggestion. But it didn't work.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: [b]PSI GUI says it needs flash[/b]
Member 27th Jan, 2010 13:32
on 27th Jan, 2010 12:23, Tarq57 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. But it didn't work.

I would like to emphasis what Maurice Joyce said:
#####Before actually running the uninstaller it is a good idea to close all browsers, PSI and any other programme U think may be using Flash #####

Make sure IE and all of Firefox or the browser you are using is out of memory by looking in Taskmanager (Ctrl+Alt+Del)

Why don't you go to Secunia Profile just right of the orange Forum item and in My Profile then update Signature to [/i]Fill in this field with a signature that you want appended to every thread or post you create.[/i/
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Jan, 2010 08:46
on 27th Jan, 2010 13:32, wrote:
I would like to emphasis what Maurice Joyce said:
#####Before actually running the uninstaller it is a good idea to close all browsers, PSI and any other programme U think may be using Flash #####
Make sure IE and all of Firefox or the browser you are using is out of memory by looking in Taskmanager (Ctrl+Alt+Del)

Yep. I'd done that, went through the procedure again, and double checked all those processes were in fact absent. Still no luck.

(unknown source)
Why don't you go to Secunia Profile just right of the orange Forum item and in My Profile then update Signature to [/i]Fill in this field with a signature that you want appended to every thread or post you create.[/i/

I might just do that. I don't generally post in this forum very often.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: [b]PSI GUI says it needs flash[/b]
Member 28th Jan, 2010 09:19
on 28th Jan, 2010 08:46, Tarq57 wrote:
I might just do that. I don't generally post in this forum very often.

It would help us knowing what you run on your system.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Jan, 2010 09:26
K.
The only thing that has changed is that I have recently formatted and reinstalled XP, possibly missing some driver updates (Nvidia, ATI and the like..if it aint broke I tend not to fix it)and no longer use the Comodo Memory Firewall. All the software I used to run prior to the reinstall has also been installed, although I'm not sure if it is exactly the same PSI version.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Tarq57 RE SOLVED: PSI GUI says it needs flash
Member 13th Feb, 2010 07:57
Problem appears solved.
I uninstalled the program, and installed the version prior, which I remember used to display the information.
Still, it said I needed flash for internet explorer to be installed.

So it seemed to me it was a computer or browser issue, rather than a PSI issue.

What I had done (and usually do on a fresh install of Windows) is to change the internet security allowances in the browser. I tighten them right up, and I guess they were tighter than prior.

Resetting all the IE security zones to their defaults has enabled PSI to display the flash content.

Wouldn't it be nice if PSI wasn't so connected to IE.

Tarq.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability