xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: SECUNIA PSI is having a strange moment! Results screen in a loop?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
taffy078 SECUNIA PSI is having a strange moment! Results screen in a loop?
Contributor 29th Jan, 2010 18:42
Ranking: 408
User Since: 26th Feb, 2009
System Score: 100%
I'd just powered up. Up flashed the Secunia window - scanned and AOK. 116 patched - 100% score.

Then up popped another window saying the same but inviting me to patch my programs! I closed it but it kept popping up every five seconds. This lasted about five minutes.
It seems to have stopped since I opened this new Post window.
It's never happened before. I tried to take screen prints of both messages but I couldn't paste.

Any suggestions, please?

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003

Anthony Wells RE: SECUNIA PSI is having a strange moment! Results screen in a loop?
Expert Contributor 29th Jan, 2010 21:16
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 29th Jan, 2010 21:24
Hello taffy ,

If it happens again try posting another message and see if that stops it again !!

"Break the chain ?? " .

Anthony

http://www.metrolyrics.com/the-chain-lyrics-fleetw...

PS ; open the "scan" tab and see if the scan is still running.

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
flinchlock RE: SECUNIA PSI is having a strange moment! Results screen in a loop?
Member 29th Jan, 2010 22:56
Score: 0
User Since: 18th Jan 2010
System Score: 95%
I just installed version 1.5.0.1 and it also keeps scanning... scanning... scanning... scanning... scanning... scanning... scanning... scanning... scanning... scanning... scanning... scanning... scanning... scanning... scanning... scanning...

Mike

Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: SECUNIA PSI is having a strange moment! Results screen in a loop?
Contributor 30th Jan, 2010 06:45
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
If the PSI is in a continuous loop of scanning here are some suggestions.
1.Secunia PSI needs to be able to connect to Secunia servers to complete its scanning. However, if you have not configured
the security settings of Internet Explorer, the Secunia PSI may be prevented from getting the scan results. To receive
your scan results, you need to do some changes to your Internet options.
To do this:
a. Open Internet Explorer.
b. Go to Tools>Internet Options>Security tab.
c. Select the Internet zone and click on the Custom Level button.
d. In Security Settings, go to the Scripting>Active Scripting option.
e. Make sure that Active Scripting is Enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
f. Press OK then Yes.
g. Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted sites zone and click on the Sites button.
h. Look at the bottom of the page and take the tick from the box marked"Require server verification(HTTPS)for all site zones" then type in the following and press the Add button to add them to the Trusted Zone Sites list:
http://*.secunia.com
https://*.secunia.com
i. Press Close
j. Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results
If using a browser other than IE open Control Panel>Internet Options then follow c. thru j.

2. Make sure your computers clock date & time are correct.

3. Make sure your firewall settings allow Secunia access both outbound & inbound.

4. Make sure no add-ons such as pop-up blockers, etc. are blocking access.

Hope this might help.

Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Karel Paborsky RE: SECUNIA PSI is having a strange moment! Results screen in a loop?
Member 30th Jan, 2010 08:28
User Since: 11th Oct 2009
I've done the above and am still getting the same problem.

Its also saying that Adobe and Flash player are causing problems so I need to update. I did that and nothing changed so I unistalled then removed the folders completely; I've restarted my PC and it still thinks that it's there.

I keep getting a Secunia PSI - System Status Message pop-up every 10 seconds and its quite annoying.

Using Windows Vista.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: SECUNIA PSI is having a strange moment! Results screen in a loop?
Handling Contributor 30th Jan, 2010 09:36
Score: 11744
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Try this for Flash.

UPDATING ADOBE FLASH
====================
Works with Windows XP,Vista & Windows 7 - 32 & 64 Bit systems.

Adobe have not fully mastered(unlike many other vendors) the art of stopping elements of a programme (Flash in this instance) from working prior to an install of a new version. The result is that an "in use" flash ocx file will not be uninstalled. Nor, have they widely publicised the fact that they do not support removal of older versions by using Control Panel>Add/Remove or other 3rd party uninstallers.

Advanced users just need to install the new version(s),then find the old OCX file & zap it.

Others may wish to take a longer route to successfully remove a vulnerability from Adobe Flash you should:

1. Download & use the Flash Uninstaller from here:

#####Before actually running the uninstaller it is a good idea to close all browsers,PSI and any other programme U think may be using Flash #####

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

2. Reboot to clear out any left over ocx files.

3. Rescan using PSI - if there are any insecure Flash elements left what is the path to them? U should not proceed to stage 4 until all U clear any problems found.(The PSI overview page may look a little odd because it uses Flash for the pictorials)

Note: At this stage,if PSI finds any elements of Flash in the C:\i386 folder or on any drive other than C that is an OEM reinstallation partition (normally D drive) or a drive U use solely to backup your work U can safely create an ignore rule. It may also be in the Recycle Bin.

4. Reinstall the latest Internet Explorer Flash Player from here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/ (I strongly advise U not to select the Beta version unless an advanced user). The latest stable & secure version is: 10.0.42.34

4A.If U are also using Firefox, Opera and other Gecko-based browsers U need this link as well:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_fire... (Again, I strongly advise U select the stable & secure version: 10.0.42.34)
Security.
Adobe also have a very bad habit of changing your Flash settings each time they plug vulnerabilities. To change the security settings to your liking & regain control of your PC click here:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en...

Bloat ware.
If you used the Adobe site, rather than FileHippo to update you will also find they try or have installed an unnecessary Download Manager.

It is bloat ware by a third party Company called NOS. If found I would uninstall it via Add/Remove.

08:34 30/01/2010

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
flinchlock RE: SECUNIA PSI is having a strange moment! Results screen in a loop?
Member 30th Jan, 2010 19:10
User Since: 18th Jan 2010
System Score: 95%
Last edited on 30th Jan, 2010 19:12
on 30th Jan, 2010 09:36, Maurice Joyce wrote:
1. Download & use the Flash Uninstaller from here:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

2. Reboot to clear out any left over ocx files.

Hey, it is NOT looping... I have been fixed.! ;-)

For me, the key was the reboot, and I had to let PSI do a scan so it would remove wherever it stores I had Flash version 10c.

I then install Flash 10.0.42.34 (directly from Adobe w/o toolbar).

THANK YOU... THANK YOU... THANK YOU... oops I'm looping.

Mike
Was this reply relevant?
+0
rgrisi RE: SECUNIA PSI is having a strange moment! Results screen in a loop?
Member 30th Jan, 2010 21:00
User Since: 25th Jan 2009
I'm having the same looping scan issue.... It comes up clean and then rescans over and over..... Ground hog day is not here yet....
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer