Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: No graphics after virus

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

This thread has been marked as locked.
OBryan No graphics after virus
Member 31st Jan, 2010 17:58
Ranking: 0
User Since: 31st Jan, 2010
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 31st Jan, 2010 18:21

Complete noob here and first post. I'll try to keep it short...

Suffered first debilitating virus in 10 years recently. The apparent fix (done by IT friend) has me surfing again but with the side affect of not being able to see graphics on some pages or to access same-page links on others. For example: running PSI opens a window that shows nothing more than something that indicates that something is running (horrible explanation, but the otherwise blank window shows no resemblance to the tutorial-like pictures on one of the Secunia pages). Or trying to access the Sony (USA) page returns a blank black page. An example of a linking issue: trying to 'click' on a 'specifications' link while researching computers at bhphoto.com gets zero response. These examples only scratch the surface of occurences.

My use of those specific examples is intended to find out if there is a common denominator among them. Perhaps that my Adobe flash has somehow been compromised. The natural question would be: why don't I ask my IT friend? I sort of feel that I've reached that threshold of not wanting to be a burden - again.

The reason I'm asking here is because, having been scared straight regarding security, I found this Secunia site and tried running the inspection software. It appeared to run, I just couldn't really see it or the results.

Any thought's? Should I be asking this elsewhere? Many thanks in advance.

system:
Dell Inspiron laptop
Windows XP 2
IE7 (I think)
adobe flash 10.0.32.18
currently running AVG Security 9.0 and Malwarebytes A.M

puget1 RE: No graphics after virus
Member 31st Jan, 2010 18:21
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Last edited on 31st Jan, 2010 18:23
Flash is probably the number one vulnerability for all p.c.'s. It is easy for hackers to attach malicious code to streaming video. Are you 100% sure that adobe flash(?)is installed? Verify via add/remove. Secondly check your security settings. I am guessing that you are running I.E.8?. If all else fails, uninstall and try re-installing. I have a hunch that your i.t. person may have disabled it or removed it knowing the security risk that it is. Luck

Windows Vista "Home Basic"
Service Pack 1
MSXML 4.0 SP 2
Mozilla Firefox 3.5 +
AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core Processor4000+2.10GHz
2GB Ram 32 bit OS
Windows Defender,Ad-Aware,Malwarebytes,Wot,Finjan,Trend Micro RUBotted
System Mechanic Pro

--
Windows Home Basic-Service Pack 2
Dell AMD Athlon 64x2 Processor 4000+ 2.10Ghz 2Memory 32 Bit

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
OBryan RE: No graphics after virus
Member 31st Jan, 2010 18:40
User Since: 31st Jan 2010
Thanks for the quick response puget1. Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX is still shown as an active program. Can't find security setting's relating to Adobe. Truth be told, I can't find the AVG security settings. Currently using the 30 free trial in lieu of my prior Mcafee. I'm considering the uninstall/install route but hesitate for a few reason's - ingnorance first on the list.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: No graphics after virus
Expert Contributor 31st Jan, 2010 20:14
Score: 2375
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 31st Jan, 2010 20:19
Hello ,

Just a guess , but if your IT mate has cleaned everything up correctly and if he's anything like my "techie" friends , he will have set your security at a very high level so you can surf (slowly) and stay out of trouble :))

You say IE7 (?) ; is that your only browser ?? what is the level of Security setting ??

You should know what your AVG and MBAM are set up to do .

Your flash is out of date (even though) you can't see that in PSI , the up to date version is 10.0.42.34 ; there is a "Maurice Joyce" tried and tested method for updating Flash (I'll look for it)***

Personally , I think you need your mate or a similarly gifted friend to actually "see" in place in front of the screen what is going on inside your computer . For example, is Java installed ??

Take care
Anthony

***Here it is :-

Adobe have still not mastered the art of a complete uninstall nor informing the user that they change user Flash settings each time an update is necessary.

It is much better & safer to stick to traditional methods to update their products.

UPDATING ADOBE FLASH
====================

Adobe have not mastered the art of completely removing all their files during an uninstall nor have they widely publicised the fact that they do not support removal using Control Panel>Add/Remove.

To successfully remove a vulnerability from Adobe Flash you should:

1. Download & use the Flash Uninstaller from here:

#####Before actually running the uninstaller it is a good idea to close all browsers,PSI and any other programme U think may be using Flash #####

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

2. Reboot to clear out any left over ocx files.

3. Rescan using PSI - if there are any insecure Flash elements left what is the path to them? U should not proceed to stage 4 until all U clear any problems found.(The PSI overview page may look a little odd because it uses Flash for the pictorials)

Note: At this stage,if PSI finds any elements of Flash in the C:\i386 folder or on any drive other than C that is an OEM reinstallation partition (normally D drive) or a drive U use solely to backup your work U can safely create an ignore rule.

4. Reinstall the latest Internet Explorer Flash Player from here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/ (I strongly advise U do not select the Beta version unless an advanced user)

4A.If U are also using Firefox, Opera and other Gecko-based browsers U need this link as well:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_fire... (I strongly advise U do not select the Beta version unless an advanced user)

5. Go to add/remove & double check Adobe have not installed the useless Adobe Download Manager - if U see an entry remove it.

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 31st Jan, 2010 20:22
Last edited on 31st Jan, 2010 20:34
http://www.revouninstaller.com/ Go to this link and down load. When down loaded check it to see what it says is in their add- remove. Mcafee and Norton are extremely hard to get out of your system. Therefore, if there are any remnants it may be acting as if you have two(2) anti-virus programs competing for control. If Mcafee shows up then you have not removed it in its entire. Use the revo to uninstall and simply follow instructions. The following is how to remove items from your registry
How to work with regedit/per Maurice Joyce

Because it is on your system. try this:

Click on start>run> type in the box REGEDIT

Highlight My Computer then select Edit>find - type SYMANTEC in the box - click find next - it will search for Symantec elements. Keep pressing find next after each event until it gives the all clear.

Read each entry found carefully. If U are sure U no longer want it right click & delete it.

ALTHOUGH A FAIRLY SIMPLE ACTION IF U ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE REGISTRY U ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO BACK IT UP BEFORE TINKERING OR POST BACK WHAT U FIND FOR MORE ADVICE BEFORE DELETION.

Then go to my computer click and c:/ drive and go to Program Files and see if the folders containg unwanted items are there and remove.

As you can see there are a few takes on your problem. Anthony Welles is probably correct in stating "Have your tech friend look into it". You can by him a case of beer or Lunch or Dinner. For the love of computing he will relish the chance to dazzle and amaze.

--

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 31st Jan, 2010 20:50

Good call puget1 , left over bits of McAfferty can really lock up the system and the latest AVG doesn't like competition .

Just a pity I can't dazzle and amaze , t'would help the end of the month :(( Have a beer on me ;))

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 31st Jan, 2010 22:46
Last edited on 31st Jan, 2010 22:48
Thanks Puget/Anthony. I just might give those ideas a whack. My IT friend had said when he made his preliminary review, which included his dislike of Mcafee, that getting Mcafee out of the system can be difficult. I guess maybe he was right. Between that and trying to update my version of Adobe Flash will be my first course of action.

Thanks again for the quick responses. I disappeared for awhile to go ice skating with my lovely daughter (6 1/2yrs old). She was lovely today. Some days....... more like a bad case of malware run amuck. Having said that, a year from now she'll probably be the one addressing my computer woes.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Feb, 2010 00:19
Last edited on 1st Feb, 2010 00:21
It is amazing, the understanding kids have for electronics. It blows me away. My 4yr old niece only needs help getting to her sites and then she takes over. Anthony,what can I say: are you not dazzled and amazed every tim e you can get the problem resolved on your own . I know I am. Beers all a round

--

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Feb, 2010 02:54
HEY! HEY!

A couple glasses of wine, clean-up a few remaining Mcafee tidbits, update Java, and low and behold I'M BACK! At least the issue I was having before appears to be fixed. Not sure exactly what solved the problem, but I'm not too particular. Personally I think it was the wine.

Secondly, I was able to run and see the results of PSI. The verdict? Secunia System Score of 95%. The two Cat.4 violators are "Apple Quicktime 6.x" and "Adobe Flash Player 10.x" (my quotes). The odd thing, at least odd to my noob eyes, is that I'm using PC so I don't understand why Apple Quicktime would get flagged. I may be running the risk of looking like a complete noob-boob, but why would anything 'Apple' be on my laptop?

Thirdly, this is the first time I've used Secunia and not quite confident of using the 'Solution' links. Both solution links generate a file download, with accompanying warning. One from "appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net" for Quicktime, and the other from "fddownload.adobe.com" . Am I supposed to just 'Run' them; 'Save' and then 'run'; or the third option 'Cancel' (basically cut 'n run)?

You can't tell from this message that I'm tickled pink to have resolved my original issue. For that I'm really grateful for the assistance here. Many thanks.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Feb, 2010 03:35
Alright then, being the impatient type and perhaps a little emboldened by a bottle of Riesling, I just went ahead and ran the 'Solutions' suggested by Secunia. It appears to have corrected things, or at least taken me from Defcon 4, to a Secunia System Score of 100%. I hadn't even heard of Secunia this morning, but for some reason seeing that 100% score made me feel pretty good.

Again, thanks for all the help (Puget/Anthony). Now all I've got to do is settle on a proper Security software - I'm undecided/a-little-suspect of AVG. The current front runners are ESET and Kaspersky with ESET leading by a nose. A blog hosted by ESET is where I heard of Secunia. That's got to be worth something.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Feb, 2010 05:27
That's the one thing about this forum;it gives you confidence. Luck on your decision on anti-virus. Most all on this forum utilize Avast. It does require configuration. AVG is nice that cleanly installs and to the best of my knowledge is still good about the uninstall. I used it for 5 years it is simple to understand.

--

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: No graphics after virus
Dedicated Contributor 1st Feb, 2010 09:39
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 1st Feb, 2010 10:40
Hello OBryan and well done guys!

Sorry to throw a small spanner in the works, but I didn`t pick up whether your using PSI in simple or advanced mode? (top right of PSI window). Advanced is the only way to use PSI as it gives much more info.

Just click on advanced, and don`t be put off by the check box that appears and hit OK! Although good, 100% in simple, doesn`t always correspond to 100% in advanced. If you`re already there, then great.

I`m no tech-head and ran PSI in simple for the first few months - wallowing in my 100% glory - only when I saw under my score that I had 17 issues requiring attention did I switch to advanced - but its all do-able.

I too run a Dell Inspiron with McAfee (Dell recommended!?), and had a similar problem last spring, when a very sophisticated trojan embedded itself in my system. Fortunately there is a younger IT family member who was able to clean it out - and I too wondered if things weren`t running exactly as they had before.

When I got my laptop back, Secunia was installed.

The guys are right about updating flash, if you haven`t already, using the official Adobe uninstall, as Anthony has pointed out with Maurice Joyce`s info.

BTW, if, on the Secunia advanced window, you see nice green (hopefully no yellow or red) cylinders and a green pie chart, then flash is working as PSI needs flash to display these graphics, which may explain why it looked funny on your initial posting. But this may not be the latest version of flash.

Also if you insist on using IE (for me, Firefox is safer), then you should determine which version you have (Help menu : "About Internet Explorer" , will tell you). If you have IE7, then it could be best to upgrade to 8, because of security issues using XP SP2 with IE7.

See this link:

http://blogs.technet.com/srd/archive/2010/01/15/as...

Hope everything is AOK and this info isn`t required!

TiMow

P:S. if anyone can throw any light on Mcafee, as my contract is up for renewal next month - I thought it wasn`t too bad with a few good features.

EDIT:- OBryan - one things just come to mind - did you run the online scan only, or download/intall PSI on your system (advisable) and then scan, as the bulk of my above info relates to having PSI installed.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 1st Feb, 2010 15:53
Last edited on 1st Feb, 2010 15:55
Thanks for the drinks everyone :)) What amazes me is that my PC gets on and does what it does despite my "hamfisted" approach to IT - at the moment it ain't broke , so no fixing :))

Everybody has their view and conviction on the best security system ; there are two schools of thought:-

1)A paid for all under one roof Internet Security System or 2)a homemade layer system of Free and/or paid for software .

Whichever way , your system will only work if you understand it , know what it means when in "talks" to you and how to use the settings (even at default) and you are knowingly happy - blind ignorance is not good.

I get/got a lot of advice Ian "Gizmo" Richards , this is his view on "secure" set up :-

http://www.techsupportalert.com/how-to-secure-your...

The whole site is full of unbiased reviews of FREE software , I can recommend it from a personal point of view .

AS it happens I use "Sandboxie" and a paid for suite ; Gizmo got me "young :))" and I have grown up with them , Secunia and Firefox .

My suite is the only "paid" software on my Pc , I fell into a very good deal .

You can run the 30day trial to see if you can handle the stuff (start at default settings) of any/all suites . It is difficult to get an unbiased assessment of commercial stuff ; I happen to use ZoneAlarm (it uses Kaspersky's Antivirus/malware engine) and have heard good things of the 2010 versions of Kaspersky , Norton , BitDefender , etc .

Be extra very careful of any "deals" that are not actually direct from the manufacturer !! Caveat Emptor !

Here's a typical ISS "review" found by "searching - I use Google" for " review internet security software ".

http://internet-security-suite-review.toptenreview...

Hope this helps , but it will take you time and effort ; better still let the children get it for
you , set it up and do exactly what they tell you to do :))

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Factsheets
Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability