Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PROGRAMS MISSING FROM SCAN

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
OSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Dehubb6800 PROGRAMS MISSING FROM SCAN
Member 2nd Feb, 2010 04:48
Ranking: 0
User Since: 13th Jan, 2010
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 2nd Feb, 2010 04:49

I HAVE SOFTWARE BY ARCSOFT THAT CAME WITH A CAMERA AND THE PRODUCTS: RAW THUMB VIEWER, SCAN N STICH, PHOTO IMPRESIONS, PRINT CREATIONS, AND PANARAMA MAKER ARE NOT ON SECUNIA LIST. ALSO I HAVE NIKON CAMERA'S: NIKON TRANSFER IF THAT IS A SOFTWARE AND ALSO TO NOTE ALL CANON UTILITIES ARE LISTED BY SECUNIA. I DON'T QUITE UNDERSTAND WHY THIS HAPPENS UNLESS PERHAPS YOU HAVE A THEORY ON IT. I HAVE 71 PIECES OF SOFTWARE LISTED JUST FINE. I EVEN DID AS THE SUGGESTION STATED IN SECUNIA - WHAT TO DO FOR PROGRAMS NOT LISTED TO NO AVAIL. HOPE YOU CAN HELP. THANKS, DELORES

michaelsalis RE: PROGRAMS MISSING FROM SCAN
Member 2nd Feb, 2010 05:58
Score: 57
User Since: 18th Feb 2009
System Score: 98%
Secunia does not have every single one of the many millions of programs sold or downloaded free.

However, you can suggest that they include the programs you have installed by clicking the link at the bottom of one of the tabbed windows named as follows: Insecure, End of Life, Patched and Secure Browsing in the Advanced Mode of psi.

I have done this and on the majority of occasions they have added the program within 24 hours. I guess if the program is rare or little used they may not include it.

Secunia use the exe or dll file associated with each program to determine if it is patched, although it is best to link the exe file in the first instance and the dll file if there is no exe file within the program files.

Michael

--
Michael
Toshiba Satelite A660
Intel i7
Windows 7 Ultimate
IE9

Toshiba Equium Laptop
Intel Centrino Duo
Windows Vista Ultimate SP2
IE9
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: PROGRAMS MISSING FROM SCAN
Handling Contributor 2nd Feb, 2010 10:24
Score: 11626
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
You have declared U are using OSI. The FAQ make it clear that U require PSI to have access to the full database:

Extract from the FAQ.

"What's the difference between the Secunia PSI and the Secunia Software Inspector (the online version)?
The Secunia Software Inspector identifies a few dozen of the most common applications, while the Secunia PSI can identify thousands. In addition, the Software Inspector is run using the web browser, while the Secunia PSI is downloaded and installed."

Once U install PSI U may well find those programmes.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Mcd73165 RE: PROGRAMS MISSING FROM SCAN
Member 2nd Feb, 2010 22:48
Score: 7
User Since: 13th May 2009
Hi. Secunia PSI some days shows all or most of my programs and other days it says some programs were removed that were not removed. This has been an ongoing issue but nothing they I'm personally concerned about.
Mark
Was this reply relevant?
+0
michaelsalis RE: PROGRAMS MISSING FROM SCAN
Member 3rd Feb, 2010 08:22
Score: 57
User Since: 18th Feb 2009
System Score: 98%
hi

It does depend on which programs you are noticing doing as you say.

For instance over the past few months Google Gears has been in and out of the list of programs on my laptop and appears on the little pop up psi shows when old programs are removed and new ones installed.

I believe this happens as Google Gears will automatically update itself, psi then reports the old version as being removed and the new one installed. There is sometimes a short delay in this happening.

Google Chrome has had stable and beta versions for "ever", psi does not report on beta versions so if you have a stable version of Chrome psi will track it and list it, however, if you then install the next beta version it will disappear from your list.

Michael

--
Michael
Toshiba Satelite A660
Intel i7
Windows 7 Ultimate
IE9

Toshiba Equium Laptop
Intel Centrino Duo
Windows Vista Ultimate SP2
IE9
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: PROGRAMS MISSING FROM SCAN
Member 22nd Feb, 2010 09:40
on 3rd Feb, 2010 08:22, michaelsalis wrote:

I believe this happens as Google Gears will automatically update itself, psi then reports the old version as being removed and the new one installed. There is sometimes a short delay in this happening.

Hi,
What I've quoted above is a very likely cause for these problems. Anyone unnerved by software being "removed" and "installed" frequently, should disable program monitoring.

Our program monitoring feature tries to detect, in real-time, all installed updates, removed programs, etc. Since the PSI works by detecting file information, if that information changes, so will the PSI's idea of what you have installed.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Mcd73165 RE: PROGRAMS MISSING FROM SCAN
Member 22nd Feb, 2010 14:07
Score: 7
User Since: 13th May 2009
on 22nd Feb, 2010 09:40, wrote:
Hi,
What I've quoted above is a very likely cause for these problems. Anyone unnerved by software being "removed" and "installed" frequently, should disable program monitoring.

Our program monitoring feature tries to detect, in real-time, all installed updates, removed programs, etc. Since the PSI works by detecting file information, if that information changes, so will the PSI's idea of what you have installed.

Hope this helps.

I've never used the program monitoring feature so the problem (at least in my case) lies somewhere else.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability