xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Page never finishes loading.

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

This thread has been marked as locked.
TiMow Page never finishes loading.
Dedicated Contributor 2nd Feb, 2010 10:13
Ranking: 737
User Since: 26th Jun, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 2nd Feb, 2010 10:17

Theres always something!
This has literally just happened in the last few minutes.
Not software or scan related, but Secunia`s own website pages.

Everytime I access any Secunia page, either for the first time or refresh; here on the forum, or elsewhere on their site, the rotating circle of dots on the l.h.s. of the browser tab never stops, and the green progress bar on the bottom toolbar gets to 90%+ and there it stays.

The progress message on this toolbar is:

"Transferring data from www.google-analytics.com.."

Only by hitting the stop loading X on the browser toolbar does it stop, with the obvious message of "Stopped"

And now I`ve just refreshed Secunia Forum All Threads page, but now it says: "Waiting for Secunia. com"

I`ve checked the google analytics site and it appears that its something that has to be set up to monitor web traffic.
I haven`t nor want to!
Is it something Secunia have in place or are there problems with their site at the moment?

Is anyone else getting this or just me?

All other non-Secunia web sites load and finish loading in the normal way.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.

Anthony Wells RE: Page never finishes loading.
Expert Contributor 2nd Feb, 2010 11:55
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 2nd Feb, 2010 11:57

Hello Timow ,

In my "non-techie" experience/words/understanding , I often see/experience similar messages and delays , they are usually almost non-existent to minimal ; the "google" thingy is on a website/server somewhere in the chain and relates to a "cookie" that a site has loaded to your computer ; they/it is collecting usage data for commercial reasons/use ; it's part of being on the "www" !!

The "delay" depend on your browser's speed of loading web pages , the website's activity/saturation , your ISP's speed which will vary with traffic (time of day , etc) , your security/privacy/cookie settings and so on .

Reloading the page won't necessarily speed things up , it starts again . Close , do something else and come back later may be less annoying :((

If it becomes an issue , tell us which browser(s) you use , which websites give a problem and someone will have some ideas .

Perhaps someone else can correct/add to what I have said .

Hope that helps
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: Page never finishes loading.
Dedicated Contributor 2nd Feb, 2010 13:31
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Thanks for coming back on this, Anthony.

I`m solely on Ff. at the moment, and the normal load speed with 3.6 is pretty quick.

Just to clarify, there wasn`t a delay in loading - it never finished loading - about 10 mins was the longest I left it, before stopping it manually, and the little dots were still spinning. Just to add - all page content was present.

I too, like you, suspected cookies, and it was one of the first things I checked - obviously loads of Google cookies - some I need, and probably many I dont; - but nothing identifiable for this.

The problem was uniquely with Secunia site pages (a couple of BBC pages I tried took longer than normal, but did complete - probably general usage conditions at the time, as you say).

I can only think that I somehow got caught up with this cookie on a kind of loop between me and Secunia. Strange how it suddenly happened.

Now the kids are watered and grazed, I`ve had time to shut down and reboot, which seems to have broken the loop and rectified the problem, for now. It was still happening until I did this.

If it should re-occure, then I`ll clear out all the Google cookies, even if I do have to reset preferences and loose some history.

The reason I posted this and asked others if they were experiencing the same was because I`ve been experiencing a few problems with my router, with my DSL/Internet connection falling out - although this is instantly recognisable as I loose indication lights and have on screen messages - and needed to work out if this was part of the problem. With this new problem the signs were as per normal.

Anyway for now, probably Much ado about nothing, as All`s well that ends well.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Page never finishes loading.
Expert Contributor 2nd Feb, 2010 18:02
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 2nd Feb, 2010 18:06
TiMow ,

Getting rid of cookies only lasts until the next site visit , unless you change your "privacy" settings in "options" in Ff. You can always ban a cookie or guard it and select delete the rest on closing . I also let CCleaner selectively burn the rubbish . This keep Ff and Chrome at top speed . Of course , it takes time to find which you need for your favourite sites .

BBC is sometimes slow somedays ; Ff is good , but is blindingly fast using Chrome .

I have no idea which or what cookies Google-Analytics reads as they will likely be those of integrated websites - I'm guessing again , as usual .

Don't forget , cookies invade your privacy but they don't try to kill your computer.

Resetting your IP address yourself (occasionally , when your modem isn't doing it for you) often speeds things up .

Hope you've walked the dog.
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability