Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Google Android?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

This thread has been marked as locked.
Alphaman Google Android?
Member 4th Feb, 2010 17:46
Ranking: 0
User Since: 4th Feb, 2010
System Score: N/A
I was doing some research and was surprised to find that there were no historical Secunia Advisories for Android. Either this operating system is the best thing since OS/8, I'm searching incorrectly (I presumed I should search for either "Google" or "Android"), or Secunia is not tracking its vulnerabilities for some reason.

I think it might be the latter, but I could be wrong. Is there any published reason why Secunia would not be tracking this OS? Comparable OS's, like Symbian or iPhone OS are tracked (and very easy to find their histories), and I'm pretty sure there are indeed vulnerabilities for Android based on other security sites' reports.

Curious. If anyone can shed some light and provide additional reasoning, I'd be interested in reading it.

thedillpickl RE: Google Android?
Contributor 5th Feb, 2010 06:29
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 5th Feb, 2010 21:42
Hi Alphaman;

If you open PSI and click on the tab for Patched Programs, Insecure Programs, etc., you can click on "Suggest a program" to have Secunia check into it.

Also, to contact Secunia Support directly, click on "Contact" at the bottom of this page and under E-mail Addresses, click on support@secunia.com .

regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Alphaman RE: Google Android?
Member 5th Feb, 2010 14:59
Score: 0
User Since: 4th Feb 2010
System Score: N/A
In case you're not aware, Android is an operating system, and therefore shouldn't be in the list of apps available on Windows.

And I'm not running PSI, I'm on a Mac, so I couldn't easily use that approach even if it were applicable.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Google Android?
Contributor 5th Feb, 2010 22:37
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello Alphaman;

I looked again for you, both under Google and Android. There is no listing under the Operating System section. Unless Android originated under some other vendor and is leased by or now owned by Google, you are correct. Secunia doesn't seem to track it.

In your first post, you stated, "I was doing some research and was surprised to find that there were no historical Secunia Advisories for Android. Either this operating system...". Yes, I did presume that Android was indeed an operating system.

In my first post, I stated, "If you open PSI and click on the tab for Patched Programs, Insecure Programs, etc., you can click on "Suggest a program" to have Secunia check into it.". In case you're not aware, there is a difference between an "app" and a program. One of which is that an OS is a program.

Here's a link to the SA for my OS (which is a "Patched" program BTW) http://secunia.com/advisories/product/22/ and one for OS X http://secunia.com/advisories/product/96/ .

Secunia does not just track Windows "apps". Their Corporate Software Inspector (CSI) is for multi platform networks. Therefore they track multiple OS's too.

I apologize for assuming that you had PSI. Of course you can't use it to contact Secunia. You can still use my second suggestion, "...click on "Contact" at the bottom of this page and under E-mail Addresses, click on support@secunia.com .". Hopefully their support staff can do some light shedding & reasoning for you.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability