Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Cooliris Problem??

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

This thread has been marked as locked.
TiMow Cooliris Problem??
Dedicated Contributor 5th Feb, 2010 10:49
Ranking: 737
User Since: 26th Jun, 2009
System Score: N/A
2nd time this week I`ve had problems accessing Secunia forum.

See:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/344...

"Fired up" this morning, opened Ff. and went to Forum.
Took 2-3 mins to load page - then under every thread and reply, where the user name of the poster normally is, was "user deleted".

On l.h.s. sub-headings "Your Threads" was missing.

On clicking on a thread at random - again took 2-3 mins to load - the message where the user name normally is; read "user no longer a member".

Have recently installed Cooliris add-on for Ff. - never seemed to work 100% - sometimes very slow and jumpy and couldn`t always find images on search.

Since installation, other aspects of my system seemed to work a bit slower, especially start up and shut down.

As Cooliris was about the last thing I used yesterday, before shut down, I did a system restore to system checkpoint a few hours before that.
When completed, I re-opened Ff. and disabled Cooliris add-on - restarted Ff.; reconnected to Secunia forum - this time everything as normal.

Is this coincidence or related directly to Cooliris? Also, why for a second time was only Secunia site(s) affected?
Accepting circumstances such as cookie issues and internet connecting delays due to traffic, I`m just trying to find a common denominator, as I dont always believe in coincidences.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.

Anthony Wells RE: Cooliris Problem??
Expert Contributor 5th Feb, 2010 14:09
Score: 2371
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello TiMow ,

I have had problems with Cooliris in Firefox on occasion , not necessarily just it's own fault but also due to a combination effect and because too many add-ons kill the old Ff. It is working fine for me at the moment.

It usually just crashes the browser ; it started to do this with the latest Chrome but one and is disabled by me for the moment in Chrome.

I have seen the same thing as you once or twice (can't be sure) with Secunia page all awry ; windows wizardry and coincidences are powerful :o((

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: Cooliris Problem??
Dedicated Contributor 5th Feb, 2010 15:37
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Hello Anthony,

Thanks for your enlightened words.

I was just fishing for re-assurance to see if others suffered from similar ailments - I was "pleased" to read that you were familiar with both Cooliris and Secunia issues - they may be related to each other, or maybe not. A problem shared... and all that.

For now I can live without Cooliris and will leave it disabled, as things seem to be running as per normal(ish).

Just uploaded some photos from my 3yr. old`s kiddi camera - opened a display file on desktop first, then transfered contents to "My Pictures". When I opened My Pictures to check all OK, there was a PCM.db (database) file in there, that was new to me.
Icon is green and yellow gear wheels, uses 88 kb memory and was created Aug 2008 - no idea - unless it relates to V-Tech (camera) - will have to dig out the instructions to that.

Couldn`t open it due to no file association - recommended to download solution from web.

Tried 2 - ParetoLogic Filecure and ParetoLogic RegCure (1st 2 options offered up on the search result).
1st one ran a scan found 20+ file problems - recommended fix, but must register first - I didn`t like that - so downloaded the 2nd which also ran a scan and found over 860 registry problems, before I stopped it. All I wanted to do was check the contents of 1 file! Uninstalled both as I know nothing of thier origins; but they came from WindowsFile Association.com and File Nerds.com respectively. Strange, that fromm 2 different download sites, I end up with 2 different products from the same vender (ParetoLogic)

The more we dig, the deeper the hole, the further we fall!

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Feb, 2010 16:31
Last edited on 5th Feb, 2010 16:34

TiMow

There is usually a good reason why you can't read a file - either messing is dangerous or what is in there we wouldn't understand anyway . I come across a lot like your's and never bother any more.

I use Google's (free) Picasa to upload photos to my PC off my Fuji (which also will upload to it's own programme which is less good) .

You may need the camera software loaded , but usually Picasa works it out (don't ask any tech details , I have none)

Anthony

PS : if you "google" "PCM.db" there are plenty of references

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: Cooliris Problem??
Dedicated Contributor 5th Feb, 2010 18:08
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Good evening Anthony

What it is, is when something inexplicably appears somewhere that I haven`t accessed for a while, I am curious to the what and whereworths, etc. - thats why I wanted to look inside this file.

It appears that it could be related to photo preview info, similar to a thumbs.db file (apparently), and could also be as a result of connecting this camera to my computer (maybe).

Normally I have software in place for photo downloading (more than enough). 2 from different cameras I have plus 1 freebee downloaded (dare I say it) from Adobe which I tend to use the most, due to its ease of use and integration with my other photo storage and display "stuff".

In this case,as the pics were taken by a 3yr.old on a kiddi camera (funny angles, body parts missing, over/under exposed, etc.), I thought I`d preview them first, in case all or many didn`t warrant disk space - this at the time was my easiest option.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Feb, 2010 18:46
Last edited on 5th Feb, 2010 18:49
She/he sounds like my kind of photographer** :)) A talent to be nurtured !

**I like to ignore feet !

PS : Everything warrants disk space lest we become judgemental :((

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Cooliris Problem??
Expert Contributor 5th Feb, 2010 21:29
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Just thought I'd let you know that I had the same symptoms with Secunia this morning "users no longer existing "(!)etc.,etc.,etc.. Chrome was working fine....in fact, never better. Back on tonight, and no problems...some of the members are still awake or alive !!! It's no place for the faint hearted or pale of spirit eh?!!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Factsheets
Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability