xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI user interface and full scan unreliable after Microsoft patch...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
metaed PSI user interface and full scan unreliable after Microsoft patches installed
Member 10th Feb, 2010 17:57
Ranking: 1
User Since: 11th Feb, 2009
System Score: 100%
After installing today's crop of Microsoft security patches for XP, Secunia PSI is behaving differently.

Sometimes it reports "Please wait while network connectivity is verified" for an extended wait time. If this occurs, it sometimes fails to display the user interface.

If the user interface starts, the Overview tab warns that Flash for IE is not installed, and does not show the charts. Nevertheless Flash ActiveX and Flash NPAPI 10.0.42.34 are both installed and are even reported as patched programs by Secunia PSI.

A full scan completes too soon; the step "Searching files on local fixed drives" seems to take no time when normally that takes a long time. The full scan ends with "Scan aborted!"

Can anybody reproduce these problems, or shed light on the cause?

Best wishes,

Edward

--
Sometimes they fool you by walking upright.

Lunovus RE: PSI user interface and full scan unreliable after Microsoft patches installed
Member 10th Feb, 2010 19:13
Score: 0
User Since: 31st Jul 2009
System Score: N/A
I can confirm that after the latest Windows security updates the PSI has problems with its GUI.

I guess it has something to do with using components of IE (maybe even ActiveX (Yuck!)) that are working differently or not at all after the updates.

Maybe the PSI tries to do something that is regarded "insecure" now. ;-)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Turps RE: PSI user interface and full scan unreliable after Microsoft patches installed
Member 10th Feb, 2010 20:07
User Since: 10th Feb 2010
By a process of elimination the patch that seems to cause problems to PSI is

I installed all the offered patches using MS Windows Update:

978506 is for IE8 compatibility, which I ignored as unrelated.

I removed the other patches in groups, and not until I removed 975713, (the

last one!) did PSI function reasoanably well.

I reinstalled all except 975713 and PSI functions reasonably well - it's a

bit slow. For example it took 33 seconds to accept an ignore program

setting.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Lunovus RE: PSI user interface and full scan unreliable after Microsoft patches installed
Member 10th Feb, 2010 20:26
User Since: 31st Jul 2009
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin... describes what the patch fixes.

I'm currently too lazy to remove the patch and test to confirm that this patch really is the culprit.

Maybe later when I'll find time to reboot my machine.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: PSI user interface and full scan unreliable after Microsoft patches installed
Expert Contributor 10th Feb, 2010 21:10
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 10th Feb, 2010 21:12

FWIW with IE 7 on XP SP3 , I got the same as @Lunovus except for 978506 when I got 978262 which is a cumulative update for Bits/ActiveX , which if memory serves has some history . I also got 890830 which is the monthly malware checker and selected a non-proiority KB.

I have not run into any problems to date with any of my usual PC activities .

I connect to PSI from Europe .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
metaed RE: PSI user interface and full scan unreliable after Microsoft patches installed
Member 10th Feb, 2010 21:43
Score: 1
User Since: 11th Feb 2009
System Score: 100%
on 10th Feb, 2010 20:07, Turps wrote:
By a process of elimination the patch that seems to cause problems to PSI is 975713.

After I removed 975713, I can no longer reproduce the problem of "Searching files on local fixed drives" taking no time to complete. I also observed substantial I/O activity during that phase of the scan. So it is now doing something.

I can still reproduce the problem of no Flash charts on the Overview tab.

I have looked briefly at the security bulletin behind the patch. My reading suggests that the patch closes what looks like a serious security hole. It seems that someone could exploit the hole by simply creating a malicious web page and driving traffic to it.

I feel more comfortable with the patch present, so I am reinstalling it.

Because the patch interferes with the Secunia PSI scan, I guess I will not rely on PSI to report accurately for the time being.

--
Sometimes they fool you by walking upright.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: PSI user interface and full scan unreliable after Microsoft patches installed
Expert Contributor 10th Feb, 2010 21:47

Have any of you checked 978506 ??

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Turps RE: PSI user interface and full scan unreliable after Microsoft patches installed
Member 10th Feb, 2010 23:37
Since my 10th Feb, 2010 20:07 post I have discovered that my claim that
975713 is the problem is wrong.

On another system (also WXP Pro SP3) I installed all the offered critical patches and did not install the optional 978506. So with 975713 installed PSI ran perfectly. I will leave 978506 off that system.

I went back to the other system and removed 978506. PSI again ran perfectly. (This system by now had all the critical patches including 975713).

I have two more similar systems to patch. I intend to install all the
critical (including 975713) but without 978506. If PSI is not OK on them I will report back.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 10th Feb, 2010 23:58

ąTurps

have you checked if your system needs (as critical) KB978262 :-

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;...

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Feb, 2010 01:16
Anthony Wells

Yes. I see that I have 978262. It should have been in my list at 2007 10th.

I left it out by mistake because I wrote it off to one side as it affected 3 other patches. Clerical error. Sorry and thanks.

By the way, I have since patched the other WXP systems with all the critical leaving out (non critical) 978506. PSI works perfectly.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
gsmart RE: PSI user interface and full scan unreliable after Microsoft patches installed
Member 11th Feb, 2010 04:42
Score: 7
User Since: 30th May 2009
No problems with W7 at all.

GSmart
Was this reply relevant?
+0
EMTerry RE: PSI user interface and full scan unreliable after Microsoft patches installed
Member 11th Feb, 2010 05:11
User Since: 25th Nov 2008
Last edited on 11th Feb, 2010 06:00
Possibly related to the Feb. 2010 Microsoft Patches for Windows XP, Secunia now pops up it's System Status message every few seconds. Running Secunia PSI V1.5.0.1. I uninstalled Secunia PSI, rebooted, and reinstalled, and still getting the annoying pop-up status message from the task bar icon every few seconds, which is very annoying. Any suggestions? Will keep an eye out for a patch or updated version, but may have to uninstall PSI in the meantime just to be able to work.

I do not seem to have this problem with my Windows 7 machines.

Addendum: Removed 978506 per suggestion above, but still no fix. Still getting "Secunia PSI - System Status Message All programs on your computer were detected as being Patched".

Getting the message once per boot is OK, but every 10 seconds or so is quite annoying.

Also, and possibly related, after Patch Tuesday Microsoft Security Center started giving me a message that my Anti-Virus definitions may not be up to date, even though they are. I think MS messed something up with this last patch.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer