Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Adobe Flash Player

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Tudor1Royal Adobe Flash Player
Member 18th Feb, 2010 20:17
Ranking: 0
User Since: 3rd Jan, 2008
System Score: N/A
Latest run of Secunia showed Adobe Flash Player Active X and Plug-in as insecure.
The versions were 10.0.42.34.
Have updated to version 10.0.45.2 using your link.
Secunia now shows that the Active X is updatedand secure but the Plug-in is still shown as insecure.
Add/Remove programs shows version 10.0.45.2 for both.
Any views please.
I have tried to access the foorum via the link on the Secunia Homepage. I get a security/virus warning and access is denied.

Anthony Wells RE: Adobe Flash Player
Expert Contributor 18th Feb, 2010 22:18
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 18th Feb, 2010 22:19
Hello ,

Updating ActiveX correctly and not getting Plug-in at the same time is almost a miracle in itself :)) Do you mean the NPAPI version by Plug-in ??

I don't know if you know how to make use of PSI in "advanced" mode , so to be sure :-

here are some instructions to help you first of all get the best out of PSI :-

1)use PSI in "advanced" mode ;
2)in the "settings" tab make sure that the box in the first/upper section is NOT ticked in order to have the maximum info available ;
3)tell us in which "tab(s)" your problem programme is located ;
4)in that tab , click on the + in the box at the left end of the programme , the page will expand ;
5)in the expanded page , tell us what is written in the "installation path" ;
6)in the "toolbox" section , lower down , the link "technical details" should confirm the installation path details ;
7)click on the link "open folder" and you will see more details concerning the location of the "problem" .

If you can't find the old file that PSI has found , come back here and post the details from PSI ; let us know your progress anyway .

You need to close your browsers to get rid of a Flash file , usually .

Anthony

PSS : I don't understand your last paragraph :((

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
lmacri RE: Adobe Flash Player
Member 19th Feb, 2010 00:33
Score: 42
User Since: 9th Sep 2009
Last edited on 19th Feb, 2010 00:41
Hi Tudor1Royal:

I have the same problem with Secunia PSI ever time I update the Adobe Flash Player. The trick is to remove all remnants of the old installation using the Adobe Flash Uninstaller before installing the latest version of the Flash Player: Here's the steps I usually follow:

1. Uninstall the older Adobe Flash Player as usual (Control Panel | Programs and Features)
2. Download the Adobe Flash 10.x Uninstaller from http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates... and run to remove any stray files.
3. Re-boot your computer
4. Download and install the latest version of Adobe Flash Player from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

If you wish, you can also use a reliable registry cleaner (e.g., Norton Utilities, Piriform CCleaner, IObit Advanced SystemCare Free) to remove any stray Windows Registry entries related to the Adobe Flash Player just before you install the latest version. This step is optional but I always do a registry check after re-booting out of habit.

--
Vista Home Premium SP2 32-bit * NIS 2013 v. 20.5.0.28 * IE 9 * FF v. 31.0 * PSI v. 2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Mcd73165 RE: Adobe Flash Player
Member 19th Feb, 2010 15:41
Score: 7
User Since: 13th May 2009
Hi. The problem is that the previous Flash .OCX file is left behind when a new Flash version is installed. Simply deleting it solves the problem. Note that Secunia PSI or any other program that uses Flash must not be running or you won't be able to delete the old .OCX file.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Tudor1Royal RE: Adobe Flash Player
Member 19th Feb, 2010 16:07
Score: 0
User Since: 3rd Jan 2008
Thank you. The matter is now sorted.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability