Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Hang in Win7,Flash/Chrome Problems

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
notsosecure Hang in Win7,Flash/Chrome Problems
Member 19th Feb, 2010 03:28
Ranking: 0
User Since: 19th Feb, 2010
System Score: N/A
First, literally everytime I run the program it hangs. Further, it repeatedly reports that Flash and Chrome are insecure and downloadable fixes are available.

The problem with Flash, is that it's searching the wrong folder(system32)when it's in the sysWOW64 folder.

For Chrome, it repeatedly reports I have an outdated version.

The odd thing about both of these problems is that in the 'patched' tab, it reports the correct versions.

So why does the scan report these programs as insecure and out of date??

I have enjoyed this program but not being able to point to the correct folders or somehow show the UI where to read the versions of particular programs being used.

Further, there are programs on my pc that are out of date by my choice and it doesn't point them out. How does it choose which ones to check??

Maurice Joyce RE: Hang in Win7,Flash/Chrome Problems
Handling Contributor 19th Feb, 2010 11:47
Score: 11799
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
This Forum is littered with problems with Adobe Flash & Google. Both companies have the same problem - they have not worked out how to remove their old dross before installing new dross.

You may have the latest versions of both but you also have the old vulnerable files installed (which PSI is reporting on) & it will remain that way until you remove them.

Flash
Flash is only available in 32 bit therefore your statement on file locations is incorrect.Flash uses these locations on a 64 bit system:

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\Flash10e .ocx

Because U are using Windows 7 64bit a second file is here:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\Flash10e .ocx

If you use the Advanced mode, PSI should have two entries for Flash. By using the toolbox it points directly to the area where U will see the vulnerable files. U are clearly not a novice user so close down PSI & your browser & delete the offending files.

Searching the Forum will reveal many solutions to easily fix both problems if U get stuck.

PSI
PSI is a vulnerability checker not a programme updater. It does not report on updates that only contain bug fixes or cosmetic changes nor does it report on Beta versions of programmes.
How it works is explained here:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
notsosecure RE: Hang in Win7,Flash/Chrome Problems
Member 19th Feb, 2010 15:02
Score: 0
User Since: 19th Feb 2010
Last edited on 19th Feb, 2010 15:27
I'm not incorrect. There is no Macromedia folder in the 'system32' folder. Flash is in my sysWOW 64 folder and that is the ONLY place it is. I am very aware that flash in not available ins 64 bit Any other suggestions as to where I would find it??

If there is some way to post a screen shot or snip on here I could show you??

As far as Chrome, I have removed the old version in the appdata folder so again, where else does it need to be removed?

Also having problems with the hang issue, but I guess what you're tellling me it you get what you pay for??
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 19th Feb, 2010 16:02
What is the Flash paths that PSI gives U?

FINDING A VULNERABILITY FILE PATH
=================================

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, use or switch to the ADVANCED interface, then :

1 Click on the + sign of the programme to "expand' it.
2 Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file. (Copy (CTRL+C) & paste (CTRL+V) the Installation Path of the file back to the Forum.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Feb, 2010 21:19
The file path listed by Secuina is:
C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\Flash10e.ocx

And as I said, no Macromed folder in that directory. There isn't even an empty Macromed folder in the system32 folder.

There is one in:
C;\windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\ Flash\Flash10e.ocx with the version # 10.0.45.2.

Also in the syswow64 folder inside the flash folder are the FlashUtil10e app, NPSWF32_FlashUtil app, flashplayer.xpt, NPSWF32.dll as well as the uninstallers for both apps. All have the 10.0.45.2 version in the properties window under the details tab.

I also went through all app data folders relating to adobe and google and found nothing other than the installers for the current versions of both flash and chrome.

Any other suggestions and any idea why the program hangs virtually everytime I use it? Is this a common problem to Win7???
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 19th Feb, 2010 22:54
I cannot find anywhere on my post stating that there was a Macromedia folder in system 32. I merely answered your statement which is incorrect mainly:

"The problem with Flash, is that it's searching the wrong folder(system32)when it's in the sysWOW64 folder."

The fact you cannot physically find the system 32 entry does not mean it does not exist. It works on a WOW node system hence U have found the two files I predicted mainly:

C;\windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\ Flash\Flash10e.ocx

I will post my complete solution to Flash issues separately. You can then pick & choose which bits U want to clean up Flash. It looks to me like it is the gecko based browser is giving the hassle.

You have not said at what point PSI hangs. There are numerous remedies on the Forum. All centre around the browser not being set up correctly.
It is certainly working correctly for 64 bit. My scan moments ago on a 1TB hard drive took 1 minute 3 seconds & produced the result I was expecting.

Have U installed these in Internet Options>Security>Trusted Sites?
http://*.secunia.com
https://*.secunia.com

Have U tried taking the tick (check mark) out of the box at: Internet Options>Advanced>Security marked "Check For Server Certificate Revocation" - changing this option requires a reboot.
These are the two main causes which I hope will fix your issue. The FAQ might also help - a bit dated in certain areas but still useful.

You will need to search the Forum for detailed solutions to Google issues. I do not install or use any of their products.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 19th Feb, 2010 22:56
UPDATING ADOBE FLASH
====================
Works with Windows XP,Vista & Windows 7 - 32 & 64 Bit systems.

Adobe have not fully mastered(unlike many other vendors) the art of stopping elements of a programme (Flash in this instance) from working prior to an install of a new version. The result is that an "in use" flash ocx file will not be uninstalled. Nor, have they widely publicised the fact that they do not support removal of older versions by using Control Panel>Add/Remove or other 3rd party uninstallers.

Advanced users just need to install the new version(s),then find the old OCX file & zap it.

Others may wish to take a longer route to successfully remove a vulnerability from Adobe Flash you should:

1. Download & use the Flash Uninstaller from here:

#####Before actually running the uninstaller it is a good idea to close all browsers,PSI and any other programme U think may be using Flash #####

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

2. Reboot to clear out any left over ocx files.

3. Rescan using PSI - if there are any insecure Flash elements left what is the path to them? U should not proceed to stage 4 until all U clear any problems found.(The PSI overview page may look a little odd because it uses Flash for the pictorials)

Note: At this stage,if PSI finds any elements of Flash in the C:\i386 folder or on any drive other than C that is an OEM reinstallation partition (normally D drive) or a drive U use solely to backup your work U can safely create an ignore rule. It may also be in the Recycle Bin.

4. Reinstall the latest Internet Explorer Flash Player from here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/ (I strongly advise U not to select the Beta version unless an advanced user). The latest stable & secure version is: 10.0.45.2

4A.If U are also using Firefox, Opera and other Gecko-based browsers U need this link as well:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_fire... (Again, I strongly advise U select the stable & secure version: 10.0.45.2)
Security.
Adobe also have a very bad habit of changing your Flash settings each time they plug vulnerabilities. To change the security settings to your liking & regain control of your PC click here:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en...

Bloat ware.
If you used the Adobe site, rather than FileHippo to update you will also find they try or have installed an unnecessary Download Manager.

It is bloat ware by a third party Company called NOS. If found I would uninstall it via Add/Remove.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Feb, 2010 23:28
on 19th Feb, 2010 22:54, Maurice Joyce wrote:
I cannot find anywhere on my post stating that there was a Macromedia folder in system 32. I merely answered your statement which is incorrect mainly:

[b]"The problem with Flash, is that it's searching the wrong folder(system32)when it's in the sysWOW64 folder."[b]

The fact you cannot physically find the system 32 entry does not mean it does not exist. It works on a WOW node system hence U have found the two files I predicted mainly:

C;\windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\ Flash\Flash10e.ocx

I will post my complete solution to Flash issues separately. You can then pick & choose which bits U want to clean up Flash. It looks to me like it is the gecko based browser is giving the hassle.

You have not said at what point PSI hangs. There are numerous remedies on the Forum. All centre around the browser not being set up correctly.
It is certainly working correctly for 64 bit. My scan moments ago on a 1TB hard drive took 1 minute 3 seconds & produced the result I was expecting.

Have U installed these in Internet Options>Security>Trusted Sites?
http://*.secunia.com
https://*.secunia.com

Have U tried taking the tick (check mark) out of the box at: Internet Options>Advanced>Security marked "Check For Server Certificate Revocation" - changing this option requires a reboot.
These are the two main causes which I hope will fix your issue. The FAQ might also help - a bit dated in certain areas but still useful.

You will need to search the Forum for detailed solutions to Google issues. I do not install or use any of their products.

Secunia lists the vulnerable file in the directory I mentioned. which IS the system32macromed folder. Doing a 're-scan' of that single issue shows they search the windows/system32/macromedia directory and no others. So how is my statement in correct??

There isn't one. I am very aware it exists in the sysWOW64 folder which is what I have been suggesting to begin with. Secunia WILL NOT search that folder and I have no way to make it do so. I have been very thorough in deleting all remnants of the old version which exists nowhere on my computer including browser axctiveX or plug-ins.

I will try the 'internet options' solutions you mentioned but doubt it will make much difference.

It hangs at app start-up, when pressing any icon in the UI, during scans, during 'fixes' you name it. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, no difference.

I have been through the FAQ which is why I'm here. The forum, from what I"ve been able to find, was also not helpful.

thanx for your help.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Feb, 2010 23:31
@Maurice,

did precisely as you suggested. didn't help.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Hang in Win7,Flash/Chrome Problems
Expert Contributor 20th Feb, 2010 00:22
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Perhaps this thread can help explain the Flash dual folder situation :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/325...

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Feb, 2010 00:38
thanks for the link. guess the best thing to do us uninstall and hope for 64 bit scanner in the future. maybe there already is one of a different brand?

wonder how it handles the two program folders (x86, 64)?? In the past, though I could be mistaken, I'm pretty sure it showed vulnerabilities in programs of both varieties.

thx
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th Feb, 2010 00:56
Last edited on 20th Feb, 2010 00:58
The problem is not really the scanner , it is deciding what the results mean ; in this case getting Flash correctly updated . I would suggest you follow Maurice Joyce's proven method and clean things up .

You do not say if you are using a 32bit or 64bit IE browser ; neither have you said where the Chrome out of date file are still being shown by PSI .

I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Feb, 2010 01:07
I did say where it detected the old version of chrome. It was in the AppData\local\google\chrome\application folder as it always is. The problem is the insecure version was not there. Only the updated one.

The only 64 bit browser I even have is IE which I do not use.

Because of these issues, the fact it misses many other out of date programs along with the fact it repeatedly hangs(though it will recover after a few min) make me believe this is more trouble than it works. Usually, the results is gives me I am already aware of, or like the chrome and flash examples, I have already fixed. So I don't feel it's needed.

I'm not complaining. It is free after all. But until they release a much more comprehensive 64 bit scanner, what's the point? It's done little to help me.

Thanks.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th Feb, 2010 01:29
on 19th Feb, 2010 15:02, notsosecure wrote:

As far as Chrome, I have removed the old version in the appdata folder so again, where else does it need to be removed?

I was hoping you would explain what this meant , as now you say the old version wasn't in the app folder ; what is PSI still reporting if anything :eg: an installation path ??

If it doesn't work for you , it's a pity , but it happens .

Take good care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Feb, 2010 02:00
on 20th Feb, 2010 01:29, Anthony Wells wrote:
I was hoping you would explain what this meant , as now you say the old version wasn't in the app folder ; what is PSI still reporting if anything :eg: an installation path ??

If it doesn't work for you , it's a pity , but it happens .

Take good care
Anthony

Perhaps I gave the wrong impression. Before I even ran the scans, I had already updated the flash and chrome programs and removed the older versions. The old version of chrome, as always, was in the app data folder. It's not in the program folder or anywhere else.

Secunia reported the insecure versions of both flash and chrome exactly where I said it did. I even uninstalled the updated versions and re-installed within the secunia interface to see if that would help. Then I uninstalled/reinstalled secunia to see if that would help. It didn't. And I did all this BEFORE consulting the forums.

I'm sure most issues you see in these forums are due to inept users. But that is not the case here. I can't give you the specific version it IS reporting in secunia on both flash and chrome because I have already uninstalled secunia. I'd reinstall and try again but I'm actually tired of going in circles here and have spent all the time I'm interested in to make this program report correctly.

thanx and have a nice evening.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer