Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Chrome is broken

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
sylvie Chrome is broken
Member 19th Feb, 2010 09:59
Ranking: 0
User Since: 4th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
Since updating everything yesterday, OpenOffice and FF, PSI now tells me that Google Chrome is insecure and I cannot even open it. It was working fine until then and all I did was uninstall OpenOffice and download the latest version.

I'm running Vista Home Premium on an Acer PC 1.75GB RAM Athlon dual core 2.1Ghz

TiMow RE: Chrome is broken
Dedicated Contributor 19th Feb, 2010 11:35
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 19th Feb, 2010 12:32
Hello Sylvie

I will try to offer help form a logical, and not technical, perspective.

Firstly, to my knowledge. the latest non-beta Chrome is 4.0.249.89 (38071). This is in fact a cat.2 threat (SA38061 refers) - it has been for a while, and will remain so until a patch can be issued by Google - I believe they`re working on it. With safe surfing practices, it shouldn`t be a problem to use.

Secondly, updating (in the normal way) OO & Ff, shouldn`t have affected Chrome.

- 2 points here:
1) Normally not necessary to uninstall OO before updating - it either overwrites the old, or theres an uninstall element in the updated installation.
2)What Ff have you updated to? As far as I`m aware 3.6 is the latest, and as of yesterday is more insecure than IE8 and Chrome - (cat.4). Run a fresh PSI scan to see.

Re. Chrome not starting - if you haven`t already - you should try a re-start, first - maybe all thats needed.
If that doesn`t do it you may have to re-install - but dont uninstall the current version yet - you may loose your settings, history etc.
If you install the same version as you already have, then you need to differentiate between this file and the new one.

In the patched tab, scroll down to Chrome, click on the "+" on l.h.s. to expand and click the open folder icon. This should take you to your current version - the version number should be highlighted - if not click it once - then right click it and click on rename - just add something like ".old" or ".broken" after the number.
Now you can download and install.
If this all works, then you can afterwards delete the old/broken version.

If you are at all unsure do what I do before stuff like this and create a restore point from system restore in control panel, before you start. If things dont work then you can return to this point as if nothing has changed.

By the way this info relates to my OS of XP Pro (sp3), and I dont know what differences you may have on Vista.

Good luck

TiMow

EDIT: Just to add:- These suggestions are based only on what I would do if I had the same problem. If your concerns are more to do with "why" Chrome isn`t working, and if your previous days updating actions are related, then that is something that will have to come from another source.

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
sylviesinc RE: Chrome is broken
Member 19th Feb, 2010 12:30
Score: 0
User Since: 13th Feb 2008
Last edited on 19th Feb, 2010 12:31
Hello and thanks for the comprehensive reply. I have just run a scan again and it has not reported FF as insecure! It is showing IE8 insecure, no solution SA38416 and 3 versions of Chrome! They are all 4.0.249.89 but one is followed by \E8E7.tmp.chrome.dll, one is \EB09.tmp.chrome.dll and one is \Ebb5.tmp.chrome.dll. Which one should I rename and which file within the folder am I actually renaming?

Maybe I can just download a new version of chrome on the second partition in my HD? (My Computer shows 2 HDs, C and E where E is called the data drive and contains the system files but has plenty of space as it's not the default drive that software is downloaded into)

My FF is 3.5 by the way.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
sylviesinc RE: Chrome is broken
Member 19th Feb, 2010 14:47
Score: 0
User Since: 13th Feb 2008
It's fixed!!!

I just downloaded Chrome again using FF and lo and behold, it seems to have repared the existing installation and I have only 1 version now showing in Secunia-just did another scan and all is OK.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 19th Feb, 2010 14:48
Hi sylviesinc

OK, first Ff. At the moment the cat.4 threat seems to apply only to 3.6. You are safe (at the moment) with 3.5. I may consider a downgrade to 3.5.8 myself.

IE (8 is the latest) has, like Chrome, a cat.2 threat for ages, which will never be fixed properly, until they bring out IE9; so thats normal, what your seeing.

What isn`t normal is that you`re seeing 3 versions of Chrome with the same number. Seeing multiple version files occurs, because when you download/install an updated version, this new version creates a new file and doesn`t overwrite the old version - if you dont manually delete it it stays and therefore PSI still reports it.

In Explorer (where the files are located), if, when you click on each file to expand (reveal on r.h.s.), are the contents of each one the same?. If they are, this would suggest separate installations.
Have you had cause to install these 3 versions in the past?

I can give no insight to the file extensions, though, and may be because of the difference in our OS`s - I dont see the same with my XP, and I dont know Vista. Unfortunately precise knowledge of file exts. is a bit of a gap in my knowledge.

What you can do is go back to these files and over each one, right click, and then click on properties at the bottom, and this should give the date created (installed).

You may still want to rename them (in date order), ".old1", "old.2" and ".old 3" and go ahead with a new download/installation.

Re. downloading to your 2nd partition, I cant say one way or the other. I only have single hd on my laptop and am not familiar with how your system operates.

Finally, deleting all but the latest could be considered - providing that Vista is like XP and the deletions only go in recycle bin and can be retrieved if necessary.

I think a new installation is still your best option.

I`m out of time for now (slow typer).If you create a system restore point as a fall back, you could consider going ahead. By the way your personal settings, history, etc. should be located in the default folder within the User Data file. You could make a copy of this and move the new file outside of the Chrome file tree, and then delete the lot, before new installation.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 19th Feb, 2010 14:51
Good news - our replies must have crossed each other in the ether.

TiMow.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability