Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Adobe Flash - Scan error

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Flash Player 10.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
immjf Adobe Flash - Scan error
Member 19th Feb, 2010 14:44
Ranking: 0
User Since: 20th Jun, 2009
System Score: N/A
Scans continue to show insecure Adobe Flash installation, although latest version has been installed. Is the insecure result a failure of PSI?

TiMow RE: Adobe Flash - Scan error
Dedicated Contributor 19th Feb, 2010 15:00
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Common problem - so much so that I now just cut and paste my answer from the last time.

Quote:

The latest versions are:

Adobe Flash Player 10.x ..... 10.0.45.2 (ActiveX), for IE, and 10.0.45.2 (NPAPI) for other browsers (eg Firefox).

It may be, that even if you have the latests version, there are still parts of the old version(s) remaining. You must uninstall Flash every time before you update, using an Adobe uninstall download.

It is probably best to start again. Download and run Adobe uninstall Flash from here:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Re-boot and re-scan PSI to ensure nothing of flash remains.

Download and install latest version:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

You may have to install the latest version 2x. Once using IE, and once using another browser (if you use multiple browsers).

Re-boot and re-scan PSI one more time, and hopefully this will do it.

Unquote.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
immjf RE: Adobe Flash - Scan error
Member 19th Feb, 2010 15:49
Score: 0
User Since: 20th Jun 2009
Thank you, TiMow. The uninstaller file from the Adobe site did the job. My PSI rescan was 100%.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Heiko.Heinsen RE: Adobe Flash - Scan error
Member 20th Feb, 2010 12:53
User Since: 17th May 2008
on 19th Feb, 2010 14:44, immjf wrote:
Scans continue to show insecure Adobe Flash installation, although latest version has been installed. Is the insecure result a failure of PSI?

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Heiko.Heinsen RE: Adobe Flash - Scan error
Member 20th Feb, 2010 17:36
User Since: 17th May 2008
on 19th Feb, 2010 14:44, immjf wrote:

Was this reply relevant?
+0
baumgrenze RE: Adobe Flash - Scan error
Member 21st Feb, 2010 20:32
Score: 1
User Since: 10th Jul 2008
TiMow

Thanks for the explicit instructions.

Is this hassle a result of Adobe being an Apple/Mac centered institution? Do their treasured Apple customers go through this same song and dance each time that Adobe software is patched?

I appreciate that the Adobe Flash product is 'free' to the user. Help me to understand why they require a trip to their website to use an uninstaller before the product can be patched. Perhaps they want to be unique?

baumgrenze

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Adobe Flash - Scan error
Expert Contributor 21st Feb, 2010 20:51
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 21st Feb, 2010 20:57
FWIW the latest Adobe Flash Player version 10 installers do contain an un-installer for the previous version of Flash ; the "secret" is to make sure that ALL programmes that use Flash are closed and quit (via tray icon) before you run the new installer (this includes PSI) . The same rules apply to the Flash Player un-installer you get from the Adobe site and are explained there in the "notes" . Once you are experienced and Flash is up to date , you do not necessarily need the separate "un-installer" and you can get the latest installer from FileHippo and thus bypass the Adobe website completely , should you so wish .

As it happens Flash seems to create more problems with M$'s IE browser and it's Flash ActiveX than the other browsers using the Flash NPAPI - make of that , what you will :))

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
baumgrenze RE: Adobe Flash - Scan error
Member 21st Feb, 2010 23:08
Score: 1
User Since: 10th Jul 2008
Anthony,

Thank you for pointing out that PSI is considered an instance of Adobe Flash running. How do I find out if other items in my System Tray are also running Adobe Flash? I rashly assumed that once I'd closed down my browser and my copy of Acrobat 8 Professional I'd done what I needed to do.

I used Netscape as my browser until it fell captive to AOL, then I switched to Mozilla's SeaMonkey. I'm pleased with how it works for me.

Thanks again,

baumgrenze
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Adobe Flash - Scan error
Expert Contributor 22nd Feb, 2010 18:25
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello baumgrenze ,

The smart answer says you should know what you are downloading to your comp. & which modules it uses .

The clever answer would suggest you use something to see what your software uses when it is running ; like Gabriel's SIW ;-

http://www.gtopala.com/

As i don't know any complete lists , the simple answer is to always close and exit all/every programme you can "safely" close before you "run" the/any installer .

Hope that "helps" :)

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Ethel RE: Adobe Flash - Scan error
Member 22nd Feb, 2010 20:17
User Since: 29th Sep 2009
TiMOW Thank you so much for the thread you posted. I have been struggling for over a month trying to get rid of threats from Flashplayer, without results. Your links helped me so much! I'm a new computer person and don't always understand what is going on. Your thread was to the point and it worked. Thanx again EMBGRAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: Adobe Flash - Scan error
Dedicated Contributor 23rd Feb, 2010 08:58
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Hello Ethel

Glad things worked out.

I cant really take all the credit, though. Like yourself (and countless others), I too have had problems in the past, when new Adobe updates and patches are issued.

And similarly have found solutions here on this forum.

All I have done, is to have taken the information I have previously read, simplified it slightly, and now pass it on to others who may be struggling.

Anthony Wells (in one of the above replies) states that Flash now has a built in uninstaller, when updating, and of the importance to exit all programs that use flash (including PSI) before updating. I, as of the last update, still used the downloadable uninstaller from Adobe.

Finally, I would not recommend that you struggle on alone trying to solve a problem for a month, again. Whatever problems you may be having, theres a very good chance that many of us (who also dont always know whats going on half the time), are also having it.

And the solutions and advice can often be found on forums, such as this.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability