Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Adobe Acrobat 8.2.1 update not recognized by Secunia

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Acrobat 8.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
This user no longer exists Adobe Acrobat 8.2.1 update not recognized by Secunia
Member 19th Feb, 2010 21:32
Ranking: 9
User Since: 1st Jan, 1970
System Score: N/A
I'm having the same problem with Adobe Acrobat Standard 8.2.1 update not being detected by PSI as the person whose Adobe 9 update wasn't recognized. I've downloaded the update multiple times, rebooted and rescanned and still get the 1 program insecure notice. In this case, the file path from Secunia doesn't seem to help me clear the insecurity.

In the past users have helped me with the Adobe Flash Player updates and clearing the insecure message with PSI so I'm hoping you can help me now.

I'm running Windows XP Professional, SP 3 and all my Microsoft patches are up to date.

Thanks.

Anthony Wells RE: Adobe Acrobat 8.2.1 update not recognized by Secunia
Expert Contributor 20th Feb, 2010 12:24
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Secunia won't be back until Monday ; hopefully they will look into this next week.

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
irishfeat RE: Adobe Acrobat 8.2.1 update not recognized by Secunia
Member 20th Feb, 2010 21:34
Score: -8
User Since: 6th Oct 2009
Try opening Adobe Acrobat, look at the top menu, and go to ...
check updates
That didn't really do anything for me, above that is Repair..
try to repair it, then eventually a window appeared for an update for Adobe Air also.
That did it for me. Always try a manual update first or repair, I don't know why they don't tell you that in the solution.
I've had the same frustration with adobe, and sometimes just have to uninstall, disk cleanup, reboot, and reinstall adobe. They are getting better by adding the update, and repair. Hope that helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th Feb, 2010 21:54

FWIW , I only have Reader , but have never had a problem updating using the programme's "help" menu and running the "check for updates.." link ; one time I needed the "repair ..." link .

Adobe do recommend this method , it's just that their site is so big it's hard to find the info you need ; Secunia admit their "solution" links are sometimes very complicated .

Personally , I always use the internal updater or go to the software website using Firefox for any/all installers , especially where Adobe (Reader ,Flash ,etc.) or Sun (Java or OOo) are concerned ; using FileHippo you need to know exactly what version you require .

PSI has had difficulty in co-ordinating their detection rules for/btween Reader and Acrobat at the two previous updates :((

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Adobe Acrobat 8.2.1 update not recognized by Secunia
Member 20th Feb, 2010 22:06
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the repair option under the Adobe Help, but unfortunately running it didn't do anything for me even after rebooting and re-running the Secunia scan. I know I have the patch installed because I see the unremovable update when I go into the Add/Remove option under the Control panel plus when I click on About Adobe, the version is 8.2.1 and the Control Panel version is also 8.2.1.

It's possible the problem is with some of the Adobe plug-ins because when I clicked on "About Adobe plug-ins, a lot of them are Version 8.2.0.81 which is what Secunia is seeing. There are too many plug ins and I have too little knowledge to mess with them.

I'm not going to go to the trouble of uninstalling and then reinstalling Adobe--too much trouble for something that I suspect may be a Secunia problem. My Adobe is working and I'm of the belief that "if it ain't totally broke, don't fix it." Meanwhile I'll wait until the Secunia people are back in the office on Monday and see what happens.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th Feb, 2010 22:15

Absolutely no need to mess with plug-ins or do any fixing !!

You have done all the checks you can and seem to show that your update is installed ; if past experience is anything to go by (not that reliable , I know) then it is just a question of being patient until Secunia get the correct detection rules set for PSI .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Phenix RE: Adobe Acrobat 8.2.1 update not recognized by Secunia
Member 21st Feb, 2010 00:45
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Feb 2010
In Adobe Acrobat Pro 8, after the latest update, clicking Help and About shows version 8.2.1. However, the file "acrobat.exe" remains at version 8.2.0.81. So do all the plug-ins - except for "Forms" which shows 8.2.1.255.

Something tells me that Adobe is more to blame than Secunia - it has definitely happened before... ;-(

Let's see how many days (weeks?) Adobe will need to correct this.

Meanwhile, I do hope that Acrobat 8.2.1 is secure. That may well be wishful thinking, given the rather horrible record of Adobe in security matters...!

Don
Was this reply relevant?
+0
JoopC RE: Adobe Acrobat 8.2.1 update not recognized by Secunia
Member 21st Feb, 2010 13:12
User Since: 24th Jul 2009
There are no more updates available on the site of Adobe. I installed the latest version, but still Secunia tells me the program is insecure. What next?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Adobe Acrobat 8.2.1 update not recognized by Secunia
Member 22nd Feb, 2010 00:28
Thanks to everyone who weighed in on this problem. It helps to know that I'm not the only one with problems plus I learn from all your responses. Also, some other threads suggested replacing Adobe with Foxit as a PDF reader so that we don't have to go through the hassle of Adobe's security flaws and possible old versions left behind when patches are installed and Secunia's detection rules possibly lagging behind at times.

I may consider this when I have more time to read up on Foxit since some of the press that I've seen recently suggests that Adobe is getting more and more attention from hackers so our problems with Adobe updates probably won't get any better.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
alantha99 RE: Adobe Acrobat 8.2.1 update not recognized by Secunia
Member 22nd Feb, 2010 03:35
User Since: 22nd Feb 2010
I have the same problem. I have applied latest 8.2 updates, then installed version 9.3 (which uninstalls the 8.2 version, in theory). Ran another scan and I have 1 vulnerability reported related to Reader 8.x. No sign of version 8.2 on my system but Secunia reports this 1 problem.

--
alantha
Was this reply relevant?
+0
fmetje RE: Adobe Acrobat 8.2.1 update not recognized by Secunia
Member 22nd Feb, 2010 08:19
User Since: 7th Feb 2010
I am having the very same problem as you are with the Adobe update. I feel the same way as you do about feeling that what I have done is best left alone. All is working find and I sure don't want to mess my Adobe up. I think the problem is with Secunia and hope they can fix it on their end. Good luck.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Feb, 2010 15:54
Hi,

We have corrected our rules for Adobe Acrobat. This should now work. If not, please write us at support@secunia.com

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Feb, 2010 02:01
Sorry--my 8.2.1 update is still registering as insecure. I've just run the scan twice.

What's next?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
best1syn2oil RE: Adobe Acrobat 8.2.1 update not recognized by Secunia
Member 23rd Feb, 2010 04:05
User Since: 15th Feb 2008
No change in scan results. Acrobat 8.2.0.81 still shows as insecure even with the patch installed(although the update to the current version included the patch).
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Feb, 2010 09:13
Hi,

I've made another correction to our rules. Please try downloading the patch again, and see if the issue has been resolved.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Feb, 2010 17:24
Just to let everyone know, the Adobe 8.2.1 update is now recognized by Securnia. I didn't have to do anything--just rescanned and I'm back up to 100%--no insecure programs.

Thanks all.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Feb, 2010 17:24
Just to let everyone know, the Adobe 8.2.1 update is now recognized by Securnia. I didn't have to do anything--just rescanned and I'm back up to 100%--no insecure programs.

Thanks all.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Feb, 2010 17:25

Thanks all.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
fmetje1 RE: Adobe Acrobat 8.2.1 update not recognized by Secunia
Member 23rd Feb, 2010 19:40
User Since: 22nd Feb 2010
Since Secunia changed the rule I have gotten clean scans now and it has taken care of the Adobe Acrobat 8.2.1 problem I was having. I scanned a couple of times and redownloaded the solution and then rescanned. All was well finally. Good luck!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
skia7 RE: Adobe Acrobat 8.2.1 update not recognized by Secunia
Member 23rd Feb, 2010 20:10
User Since: 2nd Sep 2009
I'm very curious to know.
A lot of Problems with Adobe not being recognised by Secunia .. Patches not recognised.. Adobe insecure.
I had Adobe and didnt really have any use for it except in the seldom case of sending writing or receiving PDF Files.
Apart from that i had no use for it.
Unless there is actually a Virus on your Computer what is all the panic over?
A problem?
Replace it with Foxit or another.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Feb, 2010 21:35
Sorry for the duplicate postings--don't know how it happened--didn't think I hit Reply more than once, but perhaps I did.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Elderstin RE: Adobe Acrobat 8.2.1 update not recognized by Secunia
Member 23rd Feb, 2010 22:58
User Since: 15th Apr 2009
I just updated again and the Acrobat update is still not recognized by Secunia although 8.2.1 is the version listed in programs.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Feb, 2010 08:33
Hi,
If version 8.2.1 is listed, you are secure, as this is our minimal requirement to consider you "patched". The PSI should also recognize this. Please make sure you installed both the major 8.2 patch, and the incremental 8.2.1 patch (Yes, it requires you to install two patches!), then rescan your system.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Quicksilver84 RE: Adobe Acrobat 8.2.1 update not recognized by Secunia
Member 26th Feb, 2010 00:09
User Since: 13th May 2009
Just received an Adobe Security Bulletin and it is very confusing as to what steps to take to resolve this critical issue.

Apparently there are two options (????). This is relevant to the Adobe Download Manager versions 1.6.2.60 and earlier on Windows (prior to Feb. 23, 2010).

PSI may not show this as a vulnerability. But it would help if it did. Out of the two options I see, the last one listed appears to be the easiest. Have not gotten the confidence to try this one yet.

Has anyone else seen this critical announcement yet??

Any and all assistance will be appreciated very much!

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 26th Feb, 2010 13:12

Hello Quicksilver ,

Adobe Download Manager is a complete waste of time , if that is all that is referred to in the Bulletin (i have not seen it) go to your Control Panel and use "Add/Remove" , look for the ADLM and delete it .

Ask first if you are not clear .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Feb, 2010 17:40
Hello, Anthony:

Under the second option for dealing with this issue, the following is stated:

There is another component which is mentioned and that is:

"getPlus(R)Helper from the list of services.

This is referenced as an item which should be deleted under the "Run" option.

Then it states that you should delete the C:\Program Files\NOS\ folder and its contents.

The Security bulletin is dated Feb. 23, 2010 with Feb. 25, 2010 as the last update.

Vulnerability Identifier: APSB10-08

CVE number: CVE-2010-0189

Platform: Windows

Hope I do not have any typos on this message. Have checked it twice so hope not.

Do you think that just deleting the Download Manager from the Control Panel, Add/Delete would take care of the issue? If that is the case, wonder what the reason is that it being referenced as such a cumbersome issue.

Thank you for the recommendation..... It may take me a few days to get back to the problem. It appears to be highly critical from what the bulletin states.

Thank you for all of your help, it is very much appreciated!

Warmest regards!
Quick
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 26th Feb, 2010 18:20
Last edited on 26th Feb, 2010 18:39
Hello Quick , nice name O'Silver One ,

The getplus NOS stuff is all interlinked with ADLM and none of it essential to your computer ; it's just dross which you don't need to help you download and apparently ought to/was designed to uninstall itself after use - that sounds a bit far fetched to me !!

Anything Secunia says is insecure then it's "danger" depends on location ,etc. ; in this case it should be killed !!

I'm not sure of exactly the best order of events , but I personally would :-

1) kill the ADLM in "Add/Remove" (assuming it is there) , then

2) navigate to the ""C:\Program Files\NOS\ folder and its contents"" as instructed and right click the ...\NOS\.. folder (obvoiusly NOT the actual Program Files folder where it is located) and select delete .

3) reboot and run a full scan .

Let me know if this is not clear or if you need more help or come back when all is finished .

Anthony

PS : just now read the Adobe bulletin , it is definitely "critical" and they suggest using either my 1) or my 2) - glad I was on the right track :)

So do 1) and then go in and see if you can still see a "NOS" folder , if it is there zap it .

PPS : the bulletin confirms that the ADLM is supposed to uninstall itself at the next reboot after it has been used ; so if you find nothing you do not have it . Come back if this is not clear and we'll do the "services.msc" check found at the start of the bulletin ; it is straight forward you just follow the instructions exactly and don't fiddle with anything :))

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Feb, 2010 19:50
Last edited on 27th Feb, 2010 23:33
Thank you so much, Anthony, as well as for the compliment on the "nickname". :)

I shall try within the next few days to determine how to follow the instructions you have provided (as well as the detailed explanation). It is very comprehensive, especially to one such as I who is very much a novice.

If I have any questions, I shall post a message delineating the issues.

Thank you again, so very much for your invaluable assistance!!!

Warmest regards!
Quick
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Feb, 2010 23:35
Last edited on 27th Feb, 2010 23:37
Anthony, I could not locate the messages posted above so I started a new thread in "Vulnerabilities"

Here is the last message I posted there, and it may be best to use that instead of this subject as I could not locate the post to respond to. Here is the last message I posted in the new thread:

****Anthony, I cannot locate the last message from you, however I had copied it and printed it out and intended to follow the directions in that message to remove the dangers posed by the ADLM,

I followed step one, and removed it from the "add/remove" list per your instructions.

When I attempted to locate the NOS file, I tried everything and could not locate it. I see a prompt saying "Refers to a location that is unavailable, etc.". I have tried everything to locate it without success.

Would you say that I am "safe" or is this C:\Program Files\NOS\ folder still lurking somewhere on the computer?? Is it possible that this file was removed when the ADLM was removed??

PLEASE HELP ASAP. Thank you for your recommendations and assistance.

DO YOU THINK I SHOULD START A DIFFERENT THREAD ON THIS PROBLEM SINCE I COULD NOT LOCATE THE ONE WE HAD BEEN ADDRESSING??

Warmest regards,
Quick

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+