Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI now working on Dial-Up

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
thedillpickl PSI now working on Dial-Up
Contributor 21st Feb, 2010 08:08
Ranking: 376
User Since: 3rd May, 2009
System Score: 100%
Thank you Secunia;

I would have the hardest time getting PSI to load with a dial-up modem. Sometimes a dozen or more tries to get the interface up. However, oddly enough, when a scheduled scan was past due, PSI would scan weither the interface was up or not.

Both of my machines are laptops, neither had a problem when a high speed connection was available.

Anyhow, with all the changes made recently, PSI is alot easier to use with my clunky slow connection.

kind regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis

angelj RE: PSI now working on Dial-Up
Member 28th Feb, 2010 20:25
Score: 0
User Since: 13th Jul 2008
System Score: N/A
hi
just wanted to ask what changes do you refer to?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: PSI now working on Dial-Up
Contributor 28th Feb, 2010 22:47
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Hi angelj;

Secunia has done a lot of housekeeping/updating to their site in the last couple of weeks. I would suppose, because of the CSI and WSUS project. Don't be alarmed if you're unaware of what that is (notice the green 'banner' above). This has to do with the corporate network software Secunia actually makes money on.

Your info says, "User Since: 13th Jul 2008", I hope you've noticed the 'new' forum. It is one of these changes. Personally, I preferred the old format (with larger fonts) but that's progress. Also, if you do much work on the forum, Secunia makes you login every few minutes, so be sure to copy any long posts. It's frustrating to loose a half hours work.

To answer your question, I'm uncertain what did change. That's why I was vague above. I've had several discussions with Secunia & others on this forum about why PSI wouldn't load (I won't bore you with every solution), nothing worked. I had to go to a WiFi location or repeatedly reload the interface until it started. Something has changed in the way my machines connect to the Secunia site via dial-up. Nothing was changed on my end (I gave up several months ago), so the change would be something Secunia did.

Sorry to take so long just to say I'm ignorant of the solution. The intent of this thread was to thank Secunia for the fix, be it intentional or not. I prefer to believe that they were aware of my situation, but because so few use dial-up, it was not feasible to make a change to accommodate us. The current changes to their system either allowed or forced them to make my dial-up connection work right.

Hope you don't regret asking!;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
angelj RE: PSI now working on Dial-Up
Member 2nd Mar, 2010 18:55
Score: 0
User Since: 13th Jul 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 2nd Mar, 2010 18:57
Hi Fred, thanks for your reply. :) I don't regret asking, just feel a bit embarrassed...haha...it's just that though I have been a user for some time now, I have been unable to use PSI for the last few months, simply because PSI will no longer connect on my computer. Though I have dial-up it never seemed to affect it before. Oh well. I have tried all kinds of stuff to make it work but it won't. As I like the program I will keep trying it. Maybe one day it will start up again.

Anyhow, I DO appreciate your response and I am glad that the program's working for you again.

Joy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: PSI now working on Dial-Up
Contributor 6th Mar, 2010 19:32
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Hi Joy;

I'm sorry to hear PSI is not connecting for you.

The first question is about what version of PSI do you have installed? (I just looked and I think it has to be running to tell.) The latest is v1.5.0.1 . If your unsure I'd download the new version.

The next 'fix' is to make sure Secunia's in your Trusted Sites list. In Control Panel, click on "Internet Options", then the "Security" tab. Click on "Trusted sites", then the "Sites" button.

If the box "Require server..." is checked, then uncheck. In the box "Add this Website..." enter http://*secunia.com , click "Add", enter https://*secunia.com, click "Add".

If all else fails, if you keep going to the PSI icon, right click, click "Reload Interface" and allow two or three minuets between tries, it will eventually load. At least it did for me.

Let me know how it goes.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability