Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack Three

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
JAV Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack Three
Member 21st Feb, 2010 17:37
Ranking: 0
User Since: 23rd Jun, 2009
System Score: N/A
Secunia PSI reports my Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack Three, is insecure. I've run Windows Update on numerous days (7) to find a patch--the only update it finds is KB977165, which I already had. A Microsoft tech told me to delete KB977165 as it has caused pcs to crash, among other problems. I did so and can find no solution elsewhere. I've rescanned with Secunia several times and keep getting the same insecure advisory. Can anyone help me? Thanks. JAV

JAV RE: Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack Three
Member 21st Feb, 2010 19:06
Score: 0
User Since: 23rd Jun 2009
I forgot to mention--I'm running IE8. Thanks, JAV
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack Three
Expert Contributor 21st Feb, 2010 20:11
Score: 2384
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 21st Feb, 2010 20:25
Hello JAV ,

Are you saying you had the BSOD associated with the KB and M$ have advised you to uninstall it or have you done it as a precaution , even though only a limited number of users seem to be affected (luckily I do not seem to be one) ; in either case have you applied the work around discussed here ?? :-

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/v...

PSI will continue to show you are missing the "patch" until an official replacement covers it .

You can either "live with it" as PSI is showing the insecurity or create an ignore rule for the programme , just don't forget about either set up , as you won't "see" any new updates ; neither option being satisfactory .

A separate problem relating to "patch tuesday" is discussed here :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/347...

Hope that helps a little .
Anthony

PS : this would suggest that you do not need to un-install the KB if you do not get the BSOD :-

http://groups.google.fr/group/microsoft.public.win...

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Feb, 2010 21:23
Hello Anthony, Microsoft advised me to uninstall KB977165. I'll try the work arounds you recommend and post the results. Thanks, JAV

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Feb, 2010 21:35
Hello again Anthony,

I've tried all 3 sites you listed and get either 'not found' or 'technical difficulties' etc. ??? Thanks, JAV
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Feb, 2010 22:56
Last edited on 21st Feb, 2010 22:58
JAV , All 3 links worked Ok when I first posted and have just rechecked them as still OK using both Chrome and Firefox .

One (the 2nd) is a link to Secunia thread 3477 of 10/02/2010 and the other two come up early on if you "Google" just KB977165 ; the first of my links is the most useful . Try copy and paste or drag the link to a tab , the link is "clean" for me .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Nova RE: Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack Three
Member 22nd Feb, 2010 02:19
User Since: 20th Jan 2010
Last edited on 22nd Feb, 2010 02:41
Hi Anthony, I have been very busy and it looks like you have also. Here is a link
and as far as I know should be the latest on the BSOD. I did see your link and will look at it also. Hope this one is helpful.

http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/

Nova

An add'l comment. I just finished reading from the above link. Excellent explanation from Microsoft as to the cause of this. It was the Alureon Rootkit
infection on affected computers prior to the Windows update in question. Affected the Windows Kernel prior to the update. This does appear to be very current info and advice and instruction for those that have been affected by this.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Feb, 2010 18:30

Hello JAV and Nova ,

Thanks Nova , very important info .

How are you getting along with it JAV ??

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Feb, 2010 18:05
Thanks for the comments everyone but I still can't find a solution. JAV
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Feb, 2010 18:30

JAV ,

If you by "solution/problem" you mean PSI still showing XP as "insecure" then go back to M$ and ask whether you can reload the KB , that should reset PSI .

If you mean you can't get rid of the virus/rootkit then you need to "search" the web for a help Forum .

Your posts do not explain your "problem" sufficiently clearly (to me at least).

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Feb, 2010 18:47
Hi Anthony , Everything that I have read on this KB and the BSOD appears to be in agreement with what you said. Unless, a user has experienced the BSOD on the XP, there is no need for any workaround. They only need to install the KB.

Now you know I'm not well experienced with PSI, but am learning:-), PSI is looking for a "patch" or the KB. Since the patch is not needed, then the KB is.

These are Microsoft's instructions on this issue. I have been in contact with XP users and those that did not have the BSOD have installed the KB and have had no problem whatsoever.

If an update is not installed or the patch (regarding this issue) then PSI would show an "insecure". Am I understanding this correctly? Thanks

Nova
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Feb, 2010 19:03

Hello Nova ,

A "patch" is the KB to PSI , it cannot/is not designed to read the/a "workaruond" and so cannot judge it even if you have used it .

A "workaround" solution will not change a PSI "insecure" warning for any programme .

Hope that helps

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Feb, 2010 19:20
Ok, thanks for that explanation; something to keep in mind. Well, then in JAV's case he just needs to install the KB. And on the other hand, those that incurred
the BSOD would apply the workaround and understanding that PSI doesn't recognize such, would select an ignore.

I'll read any continuing comments on this thread, so you don't have to respond to this post.

I think the moral of this story is to make sure you have the best Anti-Virus program that has good Rootkit protection/detection. I plan on doing some further investigation as to which AV's did not detect this or which ones did, if any. Getting more and more dangerous out there in the cloud:-)

Nova

I am sort of researching the Fake Flash Player Emails and Installers at the moment. Vicious.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Feb, 2010 20:28
Hello Anthony & Nova: thanks for your help. I ran AVG earlier this AM; it found no problems--after that I ran Malwarebytes--same result--no malware, spyware, etc.) I talked to a MS tech later this AM-he says the problem is with PSI. He took control of my computer--it's clean--no problems of any kind He then installed KB977165. It took and shows installed after a restart. I'm not technically savvy--that should be obvious. I uninstalled Secunia, reinstalled it, ran it's scan and still got sp3 as insecure. Therefore, I surmise that either (a) MS needs to patch sp3 with an update or (b) PSI is reporting in error. The funny thing is I've had sp3 since it came out and PSI has never reported it insecure. Anthony: I'm going to try the PSI forum thread that you mentioned; I still can't access the 3 sites you cited. I tried copy and paste and even typed them in by hand. Still no luck. I'll keep trying. JAV
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Feb, 2010 20:57
Hi JAV, What is Secunia showing to be insecure? Glad you installed the KB.

Could there be something in your recycle bin that Secunia is looking at? I overlook that area sometimes, especially if I have just deleted/removed just a couple of things. Wouldn't hurt to check.

I'm still learning Secunia and PSI/OSI so am not that familiar with it's workings yet.:-)

Nova
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Feb, 2010 21:02

Jav ,

If your computer runs OK etc . you can ignore the outside links .

If you get instability problems with IE8 , then check out the Secunia thread 3477 I gave you the link for .

PSI can take time to reset itself . After an M$ update you need to reboot and run a full scan , you repeat the update solution/procedure if PSI is showing XP "insecure" .

If/when after nothing shows available anymore at M$ update , still reboot and run a full scan .

The "insecurity may still show "for a while" , a total computer shutdown an restart after a few minutes can sometimes help , as can reloading te PSI interface using the tray icon popup menu (right click) .

If there is no improvement in 24 hours come back to us .

For your peace of mind , Belarc will crosscheck if your M$ updates are complete :-

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Hope this is clear enough.
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Feb, 2010 21:54
FINALLY! Anthony--thanks to your directions I'm now back to a 100% score on Secunia. May you have good fortune and the wind at your back. JAV
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Feb, 2010 22:00

I'll settle for that , JAV ; drinks are on Nova , I think :o)))

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Factsheets
Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability