xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Why Secunias reliance on IE?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
DougM Why Secunias reliance on IE?
Member 21st Feb, 2010 22:39
Ranking: 0
User Since: 14th Feb, 2010
System Score: N/A
Hi, my apologies if this has been covered in other threads. I've installed PSI on a new Win7 64-bit system and all seems to be working fine apart from the fact that on the 'overview' tab I can't view the 'program overview' or the 'historic development' section - both insist I install flash for IE and that I use IE for the install. I'm using Google Chrome as my browser and am reluctant to install IE on this machine.
Is there any forecast for when Secunia may support other browsers?

Thanks.

thedillpickl RE: Why Secunias reliance on IE?
Contributor 22nd Feb, 2010 07:08
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi DougM;

Sorry I'm not very familiar with 7, perhaps someone else will add input.

The question has been raised before. I believe a Secunia Official even posted with a response (sorry, couldn't find the thread, it was awhile back). The short answer is, 'because they do'. I know that's not the answer your looking for.

In the FWIW catagory, I use IE8 with no complaints. Others on the forum have convinced me to try Chrome, so I will. But only so they will leave me alone. Then I'll probably go back to IE (I can be a real creature of habit). Personally, I'm more concerned with the vulnerablity of Adobe Flash that that of IE.

Apologies again;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: Why Secunias reliance on IE?
Dedicated Contributor 22nd Feb, 2010 07:37
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Unfortunately, I think if you`re using Microsoft (Windows) based OS (and not Mac), you may have to accept that the nature of the beast is that they`re all interdependent.

As soon as you run Windows Update, (as far as I`m aware) it uses IE.

Until Secunia offer an alternative for their graphics display, you may just have to bite your lip, and install IE, purely for those instances where you have no choice.

I have it but dont use it for browsing, just for the above mentioned instances. I could also quite easily live without it.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Why Secunias reliance on IE?
Member 22nd Feb, 2010 09:25
Hi,

The PSI relies on IE, but this doesn't require you to install it. Internet Explorer is an integrated part of Windows, and can never truly be removed. You are not required to use IE in your daily work to use the PSI, as the build-in windows version should suffice.

As for flash, it's only necessary if you want to have all the graphical displays and other effect the PSI offers. A flash-free user should have no problems using the PSI.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
DougM RE: Why Secunias reliance on IE?
Member 22nd Feb, 2010 21:39
Score: 0
User Since: 14th Feb 2010
Thanks Emil - and all the other replies received. I like the graphs so think I'll run IE just for that purpose ! Thanks again.

Great Forum and great product.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability