Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Unable to fix Google Chrome 4.x

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Google
And, this specific program:
Google Chrome 4.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Xorba Unable to fix Google Chrome 4.x
Member 23rd Feb, 2010 21:56
Ranking: 0
User Since: 23rd Feb, 2010
System Score: N/A
After running Secunia scan, message was that I had one "Insecure Program" (Security Threat). It was a Google Chrome 4.x -- Category 4 Threat.

I applied the recommended solution which entailed running Chrome_Installation.exe (from DI.google.com). A bit surprising since I already had Google Chrome 4.0.249.89 on my machine!

After the apparent installation (I already had Chrome installed) I closed the browsers and started another scan. The same problem showed up again.

Do I have a problem? Why does Secunia's scan keep showing my having a problem?

Xorba (Please copy be on: ppeett@hotmail.com)

Anthony Wells RE: Unable to fix Google Chrome 4.x
Expert Contributor 23rd Feb, 2010 22:12
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 23rd Feb, 2010 22:13

Hello Xorba ,

Posting your email address on an open Forum like this is an invitation to spam hell & I persoally would not reply to an unknown person's address ; you can use the edit button to delete if you so wish .

I will give you some basic advice (sorry if you already know) , which may help you explain any problems to us more specifically :-

To help resolve any problem , here are some instructions to help you first of all get the best out of PSI :-

1)use PSI in "advanced" mode ;
2)in the "settings" tab make sure that the box in the first/upper section is NOT ticked in order to have the maximum info available ;
3)tell us in which "tab(s)" your problem programme is located ;
4)in that tab , click on the + in the box at the left end of the programme , the page will expand ;
5)in the expanded page , tell us what is written in the "installation path" ;
6)in the "toolbox" section , lower down , the link "technical details" should confirm the installation path details ;
7)click on the link "open folder" and you will see more details concerning the location of the "problem" .

Posting these details will help the Forum help you , if/when you have a problem .

Google Chrome leaves the previous version files behind after updating , so PSI will see the new version in "patched" and the old vsreoin in "insecure" . Navigate to the ..\Google\Application.... folder an delete only the "old" numbered folder .

Ask again if you are not clear .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Xorba RE: Unable to fix Google Chrome 4.x
Member 24th Feb, 2010 08:12
Score: 0
User Since: 23rd Feb 2010
Thanks for your response. You made some excellent points. I already regret having left my e-mail "visible". I just wanted to make sure I actually received posted replies without having to keep coming back to Secunia's webpage(s).

This whole thing is way too complicated for me. Thanks for trying to help me.

xorba
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Unable to fix Google Chrome 4.x
Contributor 24th Feb, 2010 08:41
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi Xorba;

If you look at the top of this page, you will see this line:

"Subscription
You are not subscribing to this thread. If you want to subscribe, please click here."

or you will see

"Subscription
You are subscribing to this thread. If you want to unsubscribe, please click here."

If you click on the blue 'here' it will change you subscription to this thread. Since you started this thread, you should already be subscribed. Secunia will send an E-mail to the address you supplied to them when you joined.

Hope this info helps;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: Unable to fix Google Chrome 4.x
Dedicated Contributor 24th Feb, 2010 10:43
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 24th Feb, 2010 10:48
@ Xorba

2 things to ease your complications:

1)Viewing the forum - I use Firefox for this - log on in a separate tab - bookmark the page (mine is on bookmark toolbar). Every time I hit the bookmark it opens in the logged on form - no further need to enter details. I keep the tab open throughout the day and just refresh to stay current.

Fred is right - you receive e-mail notification when a reply is made to a thread you`re subscribing to (not the actual reply).

2)Clarification of Anthony`s solution to your problem - on the listing of Chrome under patched (or insecure), click "+" on l.h.s. to expand - in toolbox click "open File" - this takes you to where all your current and old Chrome files are.

You can delete all the old numbered versions from here - click to highlight - right click - then delete.

Just ensure you keep 4.0.249.89, as the last patched, safe version.

You must re-boot and re-scan PSI, when finished.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bravejoe RE: Unable to fix Google Chrome 4.x
Member 25th Feb, 2010 21:27
Score: -1
User Since: 29th Nov 2008
I took care of this problem by performing an On-line scan - normal procedure for me when I can't fix it through PSI.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 26th Feb, 2010 13:05
@brave joe,

Never heard of that as a cure , exactly how do you do it and with what result in PSI ?? :)

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 26th Feb, 2010 19:06
Last edited on 26th Feb, 2010 19:15
From my post above:

on 24th Feb, 2010 10:43, TiMow wrote:

1)Viewing the forum - I use Firefox for this - log on in a separate tab - bookmark the page (mine is on bookmark toolbar). Every time I hit the bookmark it opens in the logged on form - no further need to enter details. I keep the tab open throughout the day and just refresh to stay current.

I`ve been found out - Big Brother is watching.

The above is no longer the case.

Ff. is now the same as Chrome (and I assume IE) - I have to log on afresh now, every time. Even when its left open on a tab, after a fixed period of (unknown) time your logged on session expires and you have to re-log on.

Pity, I thought I had it cracked.

And the little stars are back in the password box - but this time they do seem to represent the characters of my password, without me entering it every time - just my user name needed.

TiMow

EDIT: @ A.W. I like your subtle reply above - I also thought about responding to this one, but time got the better of me, and I guessed someone would come back on this at some stage - good job (much more brief and to the point, than I would have done).

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 26th Feb, 2010 19:31

TiMow ,

As PSI recognises Ff as my default , when I use the link in the PSI "forum" tab I get auto log-in without having to confirm my Ff master password and ubyil recently I seemed to stay logged in . I cannot get PSI to launch Ff in my sanbox which I use 99% of time when browsing .

Otherwise I get the auto log-out by Secunia in both Ff and chrome when I log in myself . I can't decide if it happens even if I am entering a reply , that did seem to happen his morning but my actual set up was not the usual one ; if you just read threads you're gone .

I had raised this with support when they were improving the "view" , I may go back and ask again .

let me know what you find first .

Rugby Wales vs France from Cardiff in 90 mins :)))

Gotta go .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 26th Feb, 2010 20:07
Last edited on 26th Feb, 2010 20:08
Evening Anthony,

Without repeating myself too much - what was written in the quote box above was always the case with Ff. - just had to hit the bookmark. When I changed to Chrome as default (before downgrading and returning back Ff.), I then had to log on, as I`ve just now described. Even returning back to Ff., as now default, the "quote box" scenario was still the same - until I wrote about it further above and then it changed - who knows?

Haven`t gone to the forum from PSI tab for ages- I`ll try that tomorrow just to see - it aint so bad - I only have 5 letters to type.

The rugby better start well, because 15 mins later comes the Olympic coverage of the snowboarding parallel giant slalom (BBC3, if you get that) which may be more exciting viewing, if the rugby`s slow.

TiMow

EDIT: Just hit reply at bottom and it took me to create profile screen and had to log on again - would have lost all above if it wasn`t copied.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 26th Feb, 2010 23:11
Did anyone offer a fix for Xorba's Chrome problem? Bravejoe said something about OSI fixing it, I don't understand how it could.

Just monitoring, I have no input.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Snoopy RE: Unable to fix Google Chrome 4.x
Member 27th Feb, 2010 09:58
Score: 1
User Since: 31st Dec 2007
I have also experienced this issue with Chrome updates. On the PSI insecure page, click the folder indicated under the word Direct. You may find, as I did, that there are two separate folders under Google/Chrome/Application. If so, one folder will be for the older version of Chrome and one will be for the one just updated.

Delete the older version folder (and all of its subfolders) and then run a new PSI scan. This has resolved my problem each time I update Chrome.

I have not yet determined why The Chrome updates do not delete the older version folders.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Dedicated Contributor 27th Feb, 2010 12:57
Hello Snoopy

Unfortunately, that`s just how it is with Chrome - every time there`s a new version update it creates a new file and relies on the end user to delete the old one, which normally shows as insecure on PSI until its removed.

The same is also true of IE, but is less frequent as it`s only with their version number changes - i,e. from 6 to 7 to 8 - when IE9 comes we will all have to do the same.

Once you are aware of this, it`s just routine - but until everyone knows, there will always be questions on the forum, unless like you, other users also find this out for themselves.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Snoopy RE: Unable to fix Google Chrome 4.x
Member 27th Feb, 2010 18:39
Score: 1
User Since: 31st Dec 2007
Hi TiMow,

You're right, we just have to learn to live with these little foibles. Maybe we could just tell Microsoft, Google and Mozilla what we want and they would do it for us.

.....................NOT!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 27th Feb, 2010 20:10
@thedillpickl

Hello Fred

I`ll try to quickly answer your points raised:

1) Anthony offered a solution - bit to complicated for Xorba - I then tried to simplify slightly - till now no response - probably given up.

2) Bravejoe offered a solution, by running the less thorough OSI scan- which A.W. (in his inimitable way) questioned this as of yet unknown cure.

It`s gone off on a bit tangent now and probably run it`s course in relation to the original point.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 27th Feb, 2010 22:17
Hi TiMow;

Sometimes people have a DIY (Do It Yourself) personality & sometimes a DIFM (Do It For Me). It is impossible to help if they are unwilling or unable to try. That is a shame, since so many on this forum will go to great lengths to work on a problem until it is fixed.

I have complimented Secunia for providing us with OSI, PSI and this forum for free several times. At the risk of sounding full of myself, I believe the helpers that monitor this forum (for free) deserve a thank you also. You are a newer participant here and are most welcome and needed.

Not that many will read this but here's a short list of helpers I would like to recognize (in no particular order):

TiMow
Anthony Wells
Maurice Joyce
Mogs
wr
YoKenny
michaelsalis
Taffy

I would also like to thank a paid helper:

E.Petersen

I'm sure I've forgotten someone so I apologize in advance!

I have more to say/ask about Chrome & stuff, will post to Barbareska issues thread as it is for us to think out loud and not for a particular problem.

We are pretty much done here then, unless Xorba posts back.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
stevjovan RE: Unable to fix Google Chrome 4.x
Member 9th Mar, 2010 21:46
User Since: 29th Dec 2008
I have exactly the same problem with this and it is total nonsense. I have the latest version of Google Chrome (it updates automatically) and Secunia keeps telling me to update. This is a Secunia problem and this is a problem that Secunia should fix instead of providing complicated instructions that make it sound like the user is somehow at fault.
Let's get this straight--THIS IS A SECUNIA PROBLEM. SECUNIA SHOULD FIX IT.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 10th Mar, 2010 01:22
Last edited on 10th Mar, 2010 01:26
Hi stevjovan;

I have recently installed and have been using Chrome v.4.0.249.89 . My Chrome & Gears are listed as "Patched" in PSI. Also, on a happy note, Secunia now shows Chrome as "Secure for browsing". To my knowledge, it's the only browser that currently is.

Sorry, I wish I could tell you for sure what the problem is. Anthony posted this above,

"Google Chrome leaves the previous version files behind after updating , so PSI will see the new version in "patched" and the old vsreoin in "insecure" . Navigate to the ..\Google\Application.... folder an delete only the "old" numbered folder ."

Perhaps it is worth checking out.

Regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+2
igjonsson RE: Unable to fix Google Chrome 4.x
Member 12th Mar, 2010 10:25
User Since: 3rd Apr 2009
I have a similar problem!
Icelander
Was this reply relevant?
+2

igjonsson

RE: Unable to fix Google Chrome 4.x
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Expert Contributor 12th Mar, 2010 16:29
Last edited on 12th Mar, 2010 16:31
Hello Icelander ,

What exactly is your problem with Chrome ??

As you are a long time user of PSI , try out the self-help hints I posted for Xorba in my first post at the start of this thread .

What do you not understand ?? Let us know .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
bravejoe RE: Unable to fix Google Chrome 4.x
Member 14th Mar, 2010 04:11
User Since: 29th Nov 2008
sorry for the delay getting back to you... I went to the Secunia Online Software Inspector (OSI) http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/?... - It scanned my PC found the solution and I applied it... I then re-ran the PSI and google chrome did not come up as a threat.

But I still am unable to fix the Flash player, and PowerPoint 2007 Viewer errors.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Ivargjonsson RE: Unable to fix Google Chrome 4.x
Member 14th Mar, 2010 10:49
User Since: 14th Mar 2010
Dear Anthony,
My problem is the following: Having chosen the 'solution', and re-scanned and re-booted, I'm still told that I have a problem with Google Chrome 4.x.
Icelander
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Ivargjonsson RE: Unable to fix Google Chrome 4.x
Member 14th Mar, 2010 10:49
User Since: 14th Mar 2010
Dear Anthony,
My problem is the following: Having chosen the 'solution', and re-scanned and re-booted, I'm still told that I have a problem with Google Chrome 4.x.
Icelander
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 14th Mar, 2010 18:32
Hello Icelander

When Chrome is updated, a new file is created, still leaving the old insecure file for PSI to find and report.

Some basic points:

1) Use PSI in Advanced mode (see top right of PSI page).
2) Always give full program version number where possible - the latest stable version of Chrome is 4.0.249.89 - any lower version numbers will show as insecure.
3) Say under which tab (on PSI Advanced interface) Chrome is showing - Insecure, End of life or Secure Browsing - you can affect the first 2, but Secure Browsing is only to inform. The above version number of Chrome should be in a green box (for secure) under Secure Browsing tab.
4) Include as much information about your computer and operating software - especially which windows version you have.

You can check if you have a previous old version of Chrome by looking under the Patched tab and scrolling down to Google Chrome - you should see only the latest 4.0.249.89. If you see an earlier version (e.g. 4.0.249.79 or earlier), this will need to be deleted.

If the Insecure version is showing under the Insecure tab, you should click on "[+]" on left side to expand (you can also do this under Patched tab).

This will show Toolbox icons - click on Open Folder to take you to the location of the old Chrome file.

Click to highlight the old version, right click, then delete - it goes to recycle bin, so can be restored if needed.

Now re-boot and re-scan PSI.

Hope this helps - if not, come back with more details.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Franadora1 RE: Unable to fix Google Chrome 4.x
Member 21st Mar, 2010 20:21
Score: 5
User Since: 20th Jul 2008
I recently loaded Chrome 4 on my system. I only have one version: 4.0.249.89; there are no folders for other versions and this is the version highlighted by the insecure notice. The Secunia adviser (Online References) indicates that the insecurity is found in 4.0.249.78 and that I could fix the insecurity problem by upgrading to the more recent 4.0.249.89. Which is the only version installed.

Does anyone else notice the disconnect?

By running the online OSI, I found there is a 4.1.249.1036. I am about to run this update and see if this fixes the problem.

Part of the problem, I think, stems from Google's confusing versioning.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 22nd Mar, 2010 08:43
Hi Franadora1

If you haven`t already solved your own problem, then the following may help you and anyone else with a similar problem.

When Chrome is updated, a new file is created, still leaving the old insecure file for PSI to find and report.

As of the end of last week, the latest version is 4.1.249.1036 (stable). Previous version, 4.0.249.89 (stable) is now insecure and will need to be removed.

It may be because of the weekend, that the Secunia advisories haven`t yet caught up with this.

Download and install latest version, before removing the old one, to preserve your settings, history, etc.

On the open Chrome browser, click on spanner (tools), top right, then on drop down menu, click "About Chrome" - this will search for update and inform you.

If not already using Advanced mode, click "Advanced" in top right of PSI page.

Under the Insecure tab, you should click on "[+]" on left side to expand (you can also do this under Patched tab).

This will show Toolbox icons - click on Open Folder to take you to the location of the old Chrome file.

Click to highlight the old version, right click, then delete.

Now re-boot and re-scan PSI.

If you use the "normal" stable versions of Chrome, there is only one latest, updated / patched version available. The confusion arises when Beta or Dev. channel versions (of which there are several) are used. These are designed for advanced users who may have some input in their development. There are various blogs relating to these on the Chrome website.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Franadora1 RE: Unable to fix Google Chrome 4.x
Member 22nd Mar, 2010 23:49
Score: 5
User Since: 20th Jul 2008
Installing 4.1.249.1036 and removing 4.0.249.89 solved the problem.

However, Secunia caused part of the confusion by highlighting a version at the same time it was indicating on the advisory that that version was the secure version.

ALSO, Google caused part of the confusion by their versioning sequence. The fact that they only have one version "stable" currently available is beside the point when first glance makes me think I have it already installed.

I do NOT use the Secunia downloads to update: my process it to read the advisory and research to see if the upgrade will give me OTHER kinds of problems. If it breaks something else, it doesn't do me much good to be "secure". I can also remove the browser completely and use a different one. If there exists a secure browser......
Was this reply relevant?
+0
The wascallywhitewabbit RE: Unable to fix Google Chrome 4.x
Member 23rd Mar, 2010 17:59
User Since: 18th Feb 2009
click the "wrench" top right of chrome,click "about google chrome"....allow the update to install,close out of chrome,then restart.you should be on 4.1.249.1036.Here is what you need to do to delete the old folder "4.0.249.89
go to control panel in your puter,click on "folder options".in the "folder options" window,click "view" then scroll down and select "show hidden files and folders" Next,go to "my computer" and follow this---> C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application...here you will see 2 folders,one named "4.0.249.89" and one named "4.1.249.1036"...delete the folder named "4.0.249.89"...rescan google chrome 4x....you should be good to go.now,go back to folder options in control panel and select "do not show hidden files and folders".follow this procedure every time you update google chrome,by deleting the older folder.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Sizou RE: Unable to fix Google Chrome 4.x
Member 29th Mar, 2010 01:11
Score: 6
User Since: 7th Sep 2009
I have fully uninstalled the *.89 version of Chrome, using the Revo uninstaller. I have also manually deleted everything from the old directory, including the folder itself.

PSI continues to report that the *\4.0.249.89 folder contains the file chrome.dll, which is insecure.

Yet, neither that folder nor that file exist on my computer. My hidden files and folders are set to be visible. I have also gone to the command line to search, and I can navigate down the tree until I try to get to the *\4.0.249.89 folder. That returns a "path not found" error.

I have also installed the latest version of Chrome from Google's site. Doesn't help.

Anyone have any ideas?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Unable to fix Google Chrome 4.x
Handling Contributor 29th Mar, 2010 01:15
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
PSI tells U exactly where the troublesome file is on your system.

FINDING A VULNERABILITY FILE PATH
=================================

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, use or switch to the ADVANCED interface, then :

1 Click on the + sign of the programme to "expand' it.
2 Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file. (Copy (CTRL+C) & paste (CTRL+V) the Installation Path of the file back to the Forum if U are unsure what to do next.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 29th Mar, 2010 19:50
Thanks Maurice. I appreciate your response.

I am using PSI in Advanced Mode, and my first post included both the path and the file name that PSI detects.

The problem is that neither that file nor that path exist on my computer. I can't access such a directory even from the command line.

In a year of two of using PSI, this is the first time I have ever seen (or even heard of) PSI reporting a problem in a file that doesn't exist.

I'm thinking that some log that PSI keeps has been corrupted, and so PSI always sees the bad file as present. If anyone has any ideas for fixing this, I'd appreciate it. I think my next move will be uninstalling PSI and reinstalling it.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Unable to fix Google Chrome 4.x
Handling Contributor 29th Mar, 2010 22:15
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Are U saying this is the actual file path PSI is pointing to?

*\4.0.249.89 folder

If so very odd - it should look something like C:\Program Files\xxxxxx

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 30th Mar, 2010 20:54
No, but everything before the "\4.0.249.89" is the standard stuff, and is not relevant to the problem.

The problem is that PSI is pointing to a folder called 4.0.249.89, and the folder does not exist. It doesn't exist on the path where Secunia identifies it, and it doesn't exist anywhere else on the drive, either. There is no folder called 4.0.249.89 on my computer, period. I deleted it.

Needless to say, the file that is supposedly in the folder also does not exist. However, PSI keeps reporting that there is a vulnerability in the non-existent file that is in the non-existent folder.

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+