Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Reinstalling all the updates

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
dreemsnake Reinstalling all the updates
Member 24th Feb, 2010 17:11
Ranking: 0
User Since: 24th Feb, 2010
System Score: N/A
I have been running Secunia PSI for a little while. Whenever I login to my PC and get a message that a new update for software is available, especially Adobe software, and I go ahead and let it install, I get warnings from Secunia that the programs are insecure and expose me to security threats.

This morning, I received a message that a new update for both Flash and Reader were available. I installed them and immediately afterward, as usual, Secunia let me know that the program versions were not the right versions, that they were Category 4 threats, insecure and expose me to security threats. Then I had to fix them by installing them again. But Reader is still a problem so I decided to seek help in the Forum. This is my first time here.

It seems that everyone is having a problem with this one. I picked one of the many long threads and just when someone was going to post what they did that worked, someone else said that this had already been discussed and posted two links. Those two links were almost identical and I saw nothing in there that was a resolution. I finally found the fix when someone said to uninstall and reinstall SPSI. Is it always this complicated?

Does anyone else have to reinstall their software updates every time? Or does this mean something else that I need to fix? I'm just wondering if SPSI is really useful because it's certainly time-consuming.

TiMow RE: Reinstalling all the updates
Dedicated Contributor 24th Feb, 2010 17:35
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 24th Feb, 2010 17:41
Unfortunately the updating of Adobe software can be a little more involved, than that of other vendors.

Secunia merely reports a program that needs to be patched / updated, and provides the link to the download site. You still have to do the work, if you want to remain as secure as possible - the alternative could involve a lot more work and hassle.

I can offer a set solution to updating Flash, but you will have to receive info from another source re. Reader - I no longer use Adobe for that. As far as I`m aware that is also solvable now, despite the many posts from members.

Here`s Flash:

Quote:

The latest versions are:

Adobe Flash Player 10.x ..... 10.0.45.2 (ActiveX), for IE, and 10.0.45.2 (NPAPI) for other browsers (eg Firefox).

It may be, that even if you have the latests version, there are still parts of the old version(s) remaining. You must uninstall Flash every time before you update, using an Adobe uninstall download.

It is probably best to start again. Download and run Adobe uninstall Flash from here:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Re-boot and re-scan PSI to ensure nothing of flash remains.

Download and install latest version:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

You may have to install the latest version 2x. Once using IE, and once using another browser (if you use multiple browsers).

Re-boot and re-scan PSI one more time, and hopefully this will do it.

Unquote.

It is reported that Flash now has a built in uninstaller, when updating, and of the importance to exit all programs that use flash (including PSI) before updating. I, as of the last update, still used the downloadable uninstaller from Adobe, as detailed above.

TiMow

EDIT: The above update of flash shouldn`t take much more than about 5 mins.

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer