Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: barbareska's Win 7 issues

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
thedillpickl barbareska's Win 7 issues
Contributor 26th Feb, 2010 01:29
Ranking: 376
User Since: 3rd May, 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi TiMow & Anthony;

Hope you found this thread OK. We can drop this one when barbareska starts responding to the original one.

@TiMow, http://translation.babylon.com/English/to-German/ , I stumbled on this when fooling around with French. The link will open in Eng>Ger translation but you can change both in & out to several languages. The 'free' online version occasionally wants to sell you the paid. I haven't even looked to see how much it costs, might consider a purchase depending on features and company's history.

Had no idea that CH was for Switzerland. Don't know what Confounded ratio Hell vertical means. Please remember, you talking to an American Hillbilly. Wezz kinda sloo an' donts thinks two fazt. :)

@Anthony, Sommes-nous OK mon ami? Je ne voulais pas être offensants sur Taffy's post. J'AI s'abstiennent de trop avis à l'avenir.

@All, this is what I got from her post of 25th Feb, 2010 11:42.

1)If, in an email a internetaddress stated, and i will open an insert:
The \"this operation was because restrictions on the PC stopped, please contact your administrator\"
2) Where i a file on desktop, deleting will: \"path is not available in C:\\ cannot be accessed, Access denied\" and
3) Was my question: can i in this case with USB Stick the old, proper conditions to restore or to restore i 'healthy\" PC system the 'Recovery Disc\" use? I hope now is my question came right over,

I will look back over all this after dinner & catching up on other threads. Possibly won't be back until tomorrow.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis

TiMow RE: barbareska's Win 7 issues
Dedicated Contributor 26th Feb, 2010 08:15
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
System Score: N/A
Hello Fred,

Did you notice if the edit box was available to you, on this first post of a thread - it never used to be, but Secunia Official were looking into it.

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/360...

I tried Babylon before but had it downloaded / installed as a toolbar - as I need translation features on a daily basis. It had other stuff available too (cant remember what).

But as soon as it started messing about with my home page settings and default search engines, I binned it. I think it also continually offered other stuff I didn`t want / need.

I`ll check out the online version, though, as it may be better than Google, which always seem to offer a mix of translated words and original words (that it cant translate).

As a toolbar option (for Ff) I use this now:

http://www.unlimited-translate.org/

It has good options from the toolbar, but still uses Google translate dictionaries, still offering mixed results.

Re. the actual problem, your translation is similar to Anthony`s, but I think still more info is required - the whole point of the Q. of using USB stick when she has a recovery disks seems strange.

I`ve tried in my pigeon German to ask for additional info on the orig. thread, so we can better understand the circumstances surrounding the origins of her problem (much as your asked).

We`ll just have to wait, now.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jeangeorge RE: barbareska's Win 7 issues
Member 26th Feb, 2010 09:09
Score: 5
User Since: 22nd Feb 2010
Last edited on 26th Feb, 2010 09:18
Hi all.
If Barbareska want to restore her computer back to factory setting for win7, if she didn't replace the hard disk with another one , all she have to do when powering up the computer is to press F11 and to follow up the suggestions proposed by the program. I don't know why she is thinking of a USB stick for restore while the restore option is in the D partition on the HD, and maybe the usb is infected with some sort of malware or a trojan horse, when the original restore point is intact and more safe?
Wish you all a good day.

@ Barbareska
If you restore your computer to factory state, then you have to reinstall all the programs you use and all the updates from MS and other company's ( I assume you know that ).

John

--
John

HP Pavilion DV6
Win 7 64bit + IE8
Bitdefender2010 + Malwarebites
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: barbareska's Win 7 issues
Expert Contributor 26th Feb, 2010 12:09
Score: 2428
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 26th Feb, 2010 12:26
Hi all we French speaking people trying to fix a German speaking PC ,

I had in mind a thread like this , so thanks Fred .

J'ai pas un problème avec toi , mon vieux , mais je pense que nous venons des cotés bien opposé politiquement ; come ça , je ne suis jamais les "threads/fils" qui prone tels sujets , c'est la merde et une perte de temps , c'est tout :)

First , I was wondering how my Google translate (GTR) sounded in German , back translating the different posts threw up some anomalies but nothing I could not understand - not quite like passing a whispered message ruond a room and seeing what comes back :) It's just that I have Google as my home age on Ff and Chrome and so open tab , 2 clicks (->"more" ->"translate") and then paste and I get (for me anyway) instant translation - speed over accuracy will count , provided Barbareska can understand what I say (in German) .

John already advised B. on one of her previous threads about Email links to right click her mailer icon and run as admin - she doesn't say there or here if that works .

It still sounds to me that she has an Administrator come UAC problem anyway (only from heresay of course , I'm XP and proud of it :)) that needs dealing with which may resolve the problems . I have no idea what that requires . John and Fred to the fore while Timow and I murmer approvingly :))

Similarly , the resetting/reloading 7 is 100% not my business .

From her other posts , i find B. is trying very hard to get to grips with her problems and computing in general and , like me , is drowning in technical terms and jargon without adequate German translation of those terms and directions . She much appreciates all help given .

That is twice !! this !%£$*µ#é site has tried to vaporise my post ; the webmaster can count his blessings that someone reminded me to right(?) copy and I was up to date - a total log-out !!!

Tek cur y'all

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
TiMow RE: barbareska's Win 7 issues
Dedicated Contributor 26th Feb, 2010 14:08
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Hello Anthony,

Whilst running the risk of becoming a language forum, I`ll just comment on the translation issue.

Your Google translation came across OK, as far I could tell - as did Fred`s - as did my own out of my head. The problem was (is), that with limited info, we were all going to be roughly close to the original. The long and short of it is, that we need a little more background (in my opinion) - hopefully that will come.

Just to linger a moment longer re. translators. I tend to use Google the most, for convenience - like you, I can set it on my homepage. The above link on my last post (unlimited translate), uses Google but has a few convenient toolbar icons, to translate whole web pages, highlighted text, or with the mouse, individual words. I think the Babylon that Fred used is also good - but only in an online form.

I do find the GTR does struggle a bit with grammer, though - especially verb tenses away from the infinitive - it often throws the words back at you without translating. Surprising, as both English and German have a similar structure - more so than avec français - I dont know how you find it. I can imagine that the database for French could be bigger that for that of German.

I think the thing is - the more text you throw at it at once - the more chance of inaccuracies there is - but likewise so does translating one word at a time - and very slow.

I wonder if barbareska uses Google too - in the main, it comes across as understandable English (except this last instance).

TiMow

P.S. It`s known as Chinese Whispers.

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 26th Feb, 2010 14:30

Ah so , young TiMow ,

Yes , I agree on all of that ; I try to compose sentences in a way that sound more like the recipient's mother tongue - I find Double Dutch works well in some cases ;))

Fewer words , less politesse when going technical seems to be better , Do the pleasantries later .

I get the gist of written German (and other languages) , spoken less so , thanks to "doing" Latin at school and having spent a lot of time in foreign lands - teaches you how to communicate - with care !:))

We certainly need some more info from B. when she's back - gives time to formulate some specific (translatable) questions .

Catch you later , cracking day here and strawberries from Maroc for tea :))))))))))

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
thedillpickl RE: barbareska's Win 7 issues
Contributor 27th Feb, 2010 07:35
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Will do my best to be back by 7-8 pm Anthony's time. Still thinking if she runs in Administrator might solve the problem.

@Ant, found a translator that works better for Fr>En. I agree, enough said. :)

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 27th Feb, 2010 08:31

Fred's up late and I'm up early , hey Timow , John , wotcha doin' ??

Two Rugby Test matches this afternoon so don't count on my sobriety ce soir :))

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 28th Feb, 2010 02:23
Several points about Chrome:

I hate to admit it, but so far am liking!

It seems to be a very simple to use interface. None of the go here, look there as in IE.

Page tabs at top are easy to manage & bookmarks a little less so. Do like how bookmarks 'on the bar' are displayed. I like simple.

While on the subject, finally found the 'star' to left of the address bar. How simple! Was getting frustrated trying to save them.

Two, only two drop down menus? (Control the current page & Customize & control...) This gets simpler & simpler.

As mentioned on another thread, found zoom feature in the page icon menu. In IE if you zoom, it is in all tabs. Even if you close the browser and open the next day. Chrome zoom is only for the page your working on. Great!

Definitely faster than IE on dial-up. Seems to have to 'learn' new sites, real slow the first couple of times.

The worm is still a source of great entertainment.

@Anthony, heard from Gaye lately?

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 28th Feb, 2010 03:45
Dear Ant;

I have found one of your lost little sheep.

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/363...

Quicksilver84 misses you very much and wants you to find him.

:)

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 28th Feb, 2010 14:55
Last edited on 28th Feb, 2010 15:02
Merci Fred , j'ai trouvé mon petit brebis "Vite" et tout va bien , au moins , j'epspère ; on verra :))

Gaye has checked in & is off for two weeks :((

"Options" in the spanner menu has tree tabs with some sub tabs , click on everything to find what you can alter and get your settings sorted , like "speckcheller" for here :)

Bonsoirée
Ant.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Contributor 1st Mar, 2010 01:40
@Ant, glad petit brebis has been helped. Hoping Gaye is OK.

@TiMow, new translator: http://www.worldlingo.com/en/products_services/wor...

Must run, many threads to reply to, not much time.

See ya;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 2nd Mar, 2010 05:50
@Ant, would like to talk, would that be OK? Have to be up early Tuesday morning. Should be early afternoon there.

thanks;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 2nd Mar, 2010 10:56
Hello Fred ,

OK by me ; I'm on CET which is 6 hour ahead of EST and probably 7 ahead of you .

My timings are fairly arbitrary , but today (Tuesday) I'll be up and away this afternoon between 2 and 5 o'clock (1400 to 1700 hours) my time and between 1 and 5 o'clock tomorrow and (probably) Thursday ; the rest is too far in the future :)

A tout à l'heure

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 6th Mar, 2010 19:53
Hi Ant;

Been very busy elsewhere. As is evening for you now and not knowing your schedule, will watch to see if you're around. Nothing too important.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Mar, 2010 19:58

Hello young Frederick ,

You caught me with time to spare , just eaten and a glass of red to hand .

How is life treating you ??

Have had a lovely week , very cold and snow(?§) for tomorrow :((

Take care

Ant.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Contributor 6th Mar, 2010 20:21
Last edited on 7th Mar, 2010 16:20
Hi Ant;

Weather here is much improved. May rain tomorrow but warm! Birds think it's spring (regular birds with feathers, not the Eng. slang).

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Mar, 2010 20:35

No problem for me , do/post it now while I have the time and I'll confirm right away :)

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Contributor 6th Mar, 2010 20:48
Last edited on 7th Mar, 2010 16:23
Red Wales

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th Mar, 2010 15:58

Hello Fred .

Thanks to your prediction of spring , we just had an overnight snow storm with 30 cm of georgeous thick fluffy stuff ; better than Vancouver and I just got a medal for artistic ability in knocking down a snowman :))

Unfortunately , it's going as fast as it came , so it's back to Test Rugby this weekend .

"Allez les Bleus" and all that !!

Ant

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability