Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Insecure situation with Norton Antivirus 2004

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Symantec
And, this specific program:
Symantec Norton AntiVirus 2004

This thread has been marked as locked.
Francis92 Insecure situation with Norton Antivirus 2004
Member 26th Feb, 2010 22:05
Ranking: -1
User Since: 21st Feb, 2010
System Score: N/A
Hello, Secunia PSI reports that my Symantec Norton AntiVirus 2004 is insecure and potentially exposes my system to security threats. I have always updated it with all the patches provided by Symantec. There is no download solution with Secunia (installation path is for my program is C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security Professional\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe ). Is there anybody that meets this problem and how have you fixed it. Thank you in advance for your help and best regards. Francis

--
Francis

Windows XP Home SP3
Pentium 4 3.00 Ghz
1 Go RAM
Firefox 3.5.x / IE8
Norton Internet Security Pro 2004
PC Tools Spyware Doctor

thedillpickl RE: Insecure situation with Norton Antivirus 2004
Contributor 27th Feb, 2010 07:02
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 27th Feb, 2010 07:05
Hi Francis;

I find it difficult to believe Symantec is still patching, let alone update this version. This is several versions old. Just because you have done all the updates you don't get the 'new' version. You must pay for it. The latest is Version 2010 (Version 17.0).

More details at: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_AntiVirus

regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Francis_92 RE: Insecure situation with Norton Antivirus 2004
Member 27th Feb, 2010 08:41
Score: 0
User Since: 27th Feb 2010
Hi Fred,

Thank you very much for your advise. My PC is 5 years old now so I have decided not to upgrade to the latest version of Symantec programs. I have also bad experiences with uninstalling and cleaning symantec programs. Do you use Norton internet Security 2010? is it light for the system?

Regards,
Francis
Was this reply relevant?
+0

Anthony Wells

RE: Insecure situation with Norton Antivirus 2004
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Contributor 28th Feb, 2010 01:33
Hi Francis;

2010, by all reports is top notch security. Symantec has had various problems in the past. I personally wouldn't use it if they paid me to install. Please remember, that's only one mans opinion.

It was, in my case, as hard to kill NAV on the machine I had at the time (a Compaq laptop) as it is to get rid of the nasties it was meant to protect me from. The name of the file escapes me (something like navrunlog.dll), but it replicated everywhere (like a bunch of rabbit). Finally found it as a hidden file in both the C:/ (root) directory & C:/WINDOWS/system directory. When I would delete all visible instances of it they would magically reappear on the next boot. Every time I would connect to the internet this file would download core files of NAV that would report back to Symantec what my system was doing. I spent many hours looking at log files and port usage history to figure this out, so no one better tell my I'm off my nut. To top it all off, every month or two it would start all over. I finally found one last hiding spot in a seldom used utility. When I would execute the utility it would trip the Symantec 'Trojan' and off we'd go again.

Several decent free Anti Virus products exist (free is always the right price), more later. Either buy or download and save (write down on paper the file path you save it to) the new AV product before you start. Whether or not you decide to go with something else or a newer version of NAV you should remove the old version this way.

=======
1) Check with Symantec http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf... to download the Norton Removal Tool.

2) After removing, click on "Start", click on "Turn Off Computer", click on "Turn Off". When computer is off, press the power button to restart.

3) After Windows is done grinding up your hard drive, right click the task bar anywhere something is not, click on "Task Manager", click on the "Processes" tab. Look for a file named 'ccApp.exe' (no quote marks) in the list. If it's not there you have succeeded!

Note: There may be some dross left, but nothing that will interfere with any other program or be harmful to your machine.
=======

Make sure you have an internet connection, just don't do any browsing, as you have no AV running. This is safe and most install programs like to 'phone home' while installing your new software.

Now run the file you saved (you wrote down where it's at, yes?) from the download or install according to packaged instructions (for purchased product). It may take awhile as the program will need to download a bunch of updates & do some type of scan. You will no doubt need to babysit the install to click on 'yes', 'no', 'up', 'down', 'forward', 'backward', 'inside', 'outside', you get the idea.

Ta-dah! (If no 'Ta-dah or you would like help doing this, please let me know)

You mention your machine is five years old. Do not despair. Most, built in the last few years, are perfectly fine for the average users. The adverts would tell you otherwise, do not heed their siren call. The common reason older PC's quit working is the junk that builds up if not maintained correctly.

If you want my input about cleaning up an old machine or my thoughts on an AV program suitable for your needs let me know. If you want to look at free AV go here http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-anti-vir... . Gizmo's site is very helpful & safe. Never download anything from a search engine (e.g. Google, Yahoo, etc.) you don't know what you getting. Cnet http://download.cnet.com/windows/ and FileHippo http://filehippo.com/ are safe sites to download from (there are others) and have user reviews & info.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Insecure situation with Norton Antivirus 2004
Member 28th Feb, 2010 13:16
Francis, I use and recommend avast! as I use both the Free and the Pro versions on my systems but make sure that ALL of Norton has been removed as is as hard to remove as some of the most stubborn viruses out there.

avast! V5 Free:
http://www.avast.com/en-ca/free-antivirus-download

avast! Pro C$ 39.95/year:
http://www.avast.com/en-ca/pro-antivirus

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 1st Mar, 2010 02:20
Hi Francis;

To repeat myself, download the Norton Removal Tool (link above) to remove Norton.

There are several capable Anti-Virus products available, some free, some paid subscription. There are benefits and disadvantages to each. One will be right for you. The 'best' is no good if you don't know how to set it up or use it. Just be sure it has a good record for catching 'bugs'.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Jude... RE: Insecure situation with Norton Antivirus 2004
Member 1st Mar, 2010 04:23
User Since: 13th Feb 2010
on 28th Feb, 2010 13:16, wrote:
Francis, I use and recommend avast! as I use both the Free and the Pro versions on my systems but make sure that ALL of Norton has been removed as is as hard to remove as some of the most stubborn viruses out there.

avast! V5 Free:
http://www.avast.com/en-ca/free-antivirus-download

avast! Pro C$ 39.95/year:
http://www.avast.com/en-ca/pro-antivirus[/quote]

Yo Kenny, I'm a beta tester for Avira in Germany, try this.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_antivir/

Before you do uninstall Norton with this, its a wee difficult to uninstall.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_fr...

Thanks....

Hogndog

P.S. If you've already installed Avast Pro disregard this post..

--
Saved by grace and grace alone.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 1st Mar, 2010 07:47
Last edited on 1st Mar, 2010 07:59
Please, Gentlemen;

This thread was created by Francis to resovle her problem. If you would like to contribute, ask her how you may help. If, however, you would like to start a discussion about attributes of various AV products, please start another thread.

thanks;

Fred

p.s. Hogndog, you said your in Germany but your profile says "Location: US".

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 1st Mar, 2010 07:56
Hi Francis;

To repeat myself again, download the Norton Removal Tool (link above) to remove Norton.

There are several capable Anti-Virus products available, select the one that suits your needs.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 1st Mar, 2010 07:56
Last edited on 1st Mar, 2010 07:57
hiccup, excuse me.

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Jude... RE: Insecure situation with Norton Antivirus 2004
Member 1st Mar, 2010 07:56
User Since: 13th Feb 2010
on 1st Mar, 2010 07:47, thedillpickl wrote:
Please, Gentlemen;

This thread was created by Francis to resovle her problem. If you would like to contibute, ask her how you may help. If, however, you would like to start a discussion about attributes of various AV products, please start another thread.

thanks;

Fred

p.s. Hogndog, you said your in Germany but your profile says "Location: US".

I should have been more clear Fred, I work for Avira in Germany but hale from the U.S.

Thanks mate...

Hogndog

--
Saved by grace and grace alone.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Insecure situation with Norton Antivirus 2004
Handling Contributor 2nd Mar, 2010 01:54
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Cor blimey Fred. Bit late with this one.

"This thread was created by Francis to resolve her problem. If you would like to contribute, ask her how you may help. If, however, you would like to start a discussion about attributes of various AV products, please start another thread.
thanks;"

This Forum is fast becoming a chat net, interrupts abound,normally with FWIW ....,expression of personal taste on programme usage,fiction rather than fact in many statements made & self promotion by cutting & pasting elements of other contributors researched solutions rather than directing them to the actual full post.

This question has not been fully answered "Do you use Norton internet Security 2010? is it light for the system?" To do so requires someone with Symantec installed to check the CPU & memory usage & offset that against others available.Sans.Org is a good starting point. Equally, I cannot see any request for help in uninstalling the present set up - just a request for more info on the latest Norton. On that basis,and the fact U gave links to possible alternatives I believe @Hogndog & @YoKenny's contribution is somewhat better than other irrelevant interrupts on many other threads.

These are two of many classics - what has some of the input seen here got to do with the advice requested? Should those who added off topic chat not have opened a new thread in these instances to?

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/329...

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/334...

This thread really sums it up:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/363...

The Forum should be about providing a solution where the helpers aim is a 100% success rate.

To achieve that in this instance you need:
1. To be familiar with Windows 7 which by no stretch of the imagination can be called new.
2. To have knowledge of how a 64 bit system interacts with 32 bit.
3. Factually convince @msacks_us that there is a possible solution to the well researched points made.

@YoKenny has 100% of the knowledge required & offered help but was drowned out.

@msacks_us makes some valid observations. He was not convinced hence the comments. Since I started writing this post I note (I prepare my answers offline using NoteTab Professional which gives the opportunity to spell check & import researched data before publication)that gang warfare by written word has broken out (some of it in French).

Intimidation,in whatever form, from self certified "non techies" in not a good sign - hence my decision some time ago to withdraw completely from the Forum once I have cleared up a couple of outstanding bits of research I am involved with.

Interestingly enough the originator has disappeared - I think we are being told something?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Contributor 2nd Mar, 2010 05:27
Maurice;

First, I must say that it bothers me very much that I have caused you such upset. I truly do apologize for that. I have and always will have, the utmost respect for you and value your opinion greatly.

I do not mean this in any way to be sarcasm. Thank you for pointing out the flaws to me. I will give the matter due consideration.

If you would allow me, I would like to respond to a few points. Not to make a justification of my actions, just reasons and considerations.

About this thread: Francis started out with NAV 2004 being insecure and not being able to update (26th Feb, 2010 22:05). After being informed that 2004 had been replaced (27th Feb, 2010 07:02), she replied that she didn't want 2010 and had trouble uninstalling Symantec products before (27th Feb, 2010 08:41). I related my bad experience with Symantec (pointing out it was only my opinion) and let her know how to remove the program (28th Feb, 2010 01:33). I provided general advice on shopping for a new AV. I also offered to give advice on cleaning up her older machine. Since she hasn't posted back, I would hope it is because she had received enough information to proceed on her own.

You are correct, I did not directly answer her question on whether 2010 was installed on my system. I had hoped that expressing my distaste for Symantec had answered that without actually saying so. Please note that I did say, "2010, by all reports is top notch security.", to give credit to the product.

These four of the first five posts were my attempt at letting Francis help herself, while offering additional assistance if needed. I was not proposing any particular product, as I believe several have merit and suit different users abilities and needs.

About Gaye's (Myohana's) thread: Yes, this thread has gone off the deep end. However, it is at the creators own choosing. She is older, in ill health and I believe lonesome. There are so many 'apparent' problems she would have to start multiple threads to resolve properly. My goal, currently, is to let her know someone cares about her situation. If fixing a bit, here and there, all the better. Anyone disinterested is welcome to unsubscribe.

About Taffy's thread: I can make no excuses for this thread. It is simply chit chat as you say. Surly we are not using up that much space on Secunia's server.

About msacks_us's thread: I can only say that I like PSI and appreciate Secunia for providing it. It is troubling when someone has something like this to say in the opening post of their thread,

"Sorry to be a bit sarcastic here, but Secunia has really let their software quality drop. I see ton's of posts here in the forums from other users all with similar issues, and I never see a response from anyone from Secunia. Oh well, I can't complain too much, the software is free - I guess I'm getting what I paid for. :(" 27th Feb, 2010 22:41

I will do my best to stick with questions to which I have or can readily obtain knowledge and shall attempt to refrain from letting my zeal get in the way.

I would like to make one observation, if you will allow it. The PSI side of this forum is frequented , for the most part, by novice users. These are not usually professional people. Most are intimidated by or at least unaccustomed to computer maintenance. It would be great if everyone who offered advice here were experts such as yourself. They are not. No one is perfect, we may only aspire to be.

It is possibly to late to part as friends. I wish you to move on with a cheerful heart. Wherever you go, those around you will be fortunate to have you.

One last time, thank you for your input.

sincerely;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 2nd Mar, 2010 09:56
Fred,
Thank U.
You have missed the point. No one wants to kill off humour or friendship. My point is people cannot ask others not to interrupt or go "off piste" on one thread & be actively engaged in the same practise on other parts of the Forum. I only gave two example - there are many more.

Normally I would agree with U about "winers" but the case I used was somewhat different. He had ticked all the boxes & gave any willing helper all the facts necessary to explain a possible solution to him. He supports Secunia but from his investigations he considered standards were slipping. He had also very clearly read up entries on the Forum. These facts indicate a very measured reply was required perhaps best left to a Secunia Official.

No solution was forthcoming hence unnecessary trench warfare has started.

Expertise means nothing to me. There are some cracking solutions on this Forum from users not mentioned in your noble & very kind attempt to thank people. Bob Primark,Big Dave & Puget immediately spring to mind. Their expertise, except for Bob who is a MVP, is unknown. The fact that they produced original short sharp solutions from a similar experience or advanced knowledge is what I am talking about.

Equally, I have never replied to anyone directly who needs help with Google products or Firefox. I have no interest whatsoever in them therefore have no background knowledge to even try at a solution hence I stay silent & leave it to those who use the products to respond whatever their expertise.

My enjoyment was seeing people were safe and, in equal measure, falling off my chair laughing at the pure fiction used by some to fill up a post. I prefer that method rather than trench fighting!

I suppose my main point is that we are now dealing with 3 OS's & 32 & 64 bit systems. Solutions cannot be generalised - they are different & any solution must reflect that. This point & the need to leave out the fiction is even more important if I am to believe that most people on this Forum are novices.

Enough said - I rest my case.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Contributor 6th Mar, 2010 20:11
@Maurice;

Have been busy at work, hope you are still monitoring this thread.

Your points are well taken and shall be carefully considered in the future. Especially not taking offense easily and limiting a response if unknowledgeable on the subject. That being, no one else is offering a solution, if the party being helped is agreeable, and if I were willing to do the research & discover possible solutions.

Yours;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 6th Mar, 2010 23:12
Last edited on 6th Mar, 2010 23:13
Yup - still got a couple of open threads plus it is nice to see the odd rib crackers posted during breaks from doing my databases.

Latest one I see is that CCleaner is an Aussie programme. Mind blowing research considering it is British!

http://www.piriform.com/about

I also see Symantec Internet Security 2010 appears to have had recent problems - I have had it installed from Beta stage (July 2009) a not a bit of bother with the final release.

That one is worrying because I might have missed something - I've no doubt that the author will qualify the throwaway comment at some stage and stop this techie from shaking in his boots & having sleepless nights.

As I say,pure fiction but a damn good read (certainly on par with Alice In Wonderland) & laugh.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 6th Mar, 2010 23:58
Hi Maurice;

At the risk of poking a stick in it, have you heard of the IObit/Malwarebytes scandal? I had tested & liked IObit stuff, then YoKenny posted with a link to MBAM database being stolen by IObit. I Googled to see what's what and of course IObit says it's all Malwarebytes fault. Hard to know who to trust.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 7th Mar, 2010 00:27
Yup - a warning went out on this Forum ages ago. ( I think it was YoKenny who posted it)

IObit have withdrawn the code they allegedly stole from Malwarebytes. Not followed up on whether Malwarebytes are proceeding with their court action.

Malwarebytes claim they are a Chinese Company (hard to quantify on the IObit web site) but they appear to be operating from offices in America.

I have done some testing on it - not much difference to other cleaners (I have tested about 10) if U like using them.

I personally do not like the contents of their privacy policy or EULA so only recommend it to those that ask with that fact as a caveat.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Francis92 RE: Insecure situation with Norton Antivirus 2004
Member 7th Mar, 2010 17:25
Score: -1
User Since: 21st Feb 2010
Hello,

Thank you very much to all of you. It is a long story now and not allways easy to read for me.

I plan to replace my computer in 2010 so I think that the better choice for my current system is to stay with my security suite.

I have noticed that from your point of view NAV 2010 was not the ultimate suite to protect us.

So I will have to consider hardly alternate other security suites softwares before buying my new computer.

Best regards

--
Francis

Windows XP Home SP3
Pentium 4 3.00 Ghz
1 Go RAM
Firefox 3.5.x / IE8
Norton Internet Security Pro 2004
PC Tools Spyware Doctor
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Insecure situation with Norton Antivirus 2004
Expert Contributor 8th Mar, 2010 16:59
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 8th Mar, 2010 17:10
Hello Francis ,

Bien joué for getting through all the "moi , je" ; that is part of this Forum where everybody is welcome and has the right to contribute .

Back to your problem ; if PSI says that your Norton Pro 2004 is "insecure" that means you should think of updating it as soon as possible and not leaving it until you get a new computer .

While you are waiting to choose a new computer , you could try some other security software to see how you like them (or not) .

For reliable FREE software reviews , I have confidence in Gizmo's website , as does Fred ; Here (again) are links to the Anti-virus and Firewall reviews :-

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-anti-vir...

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-firewall...

Independent reviews of "pay for" security software are more difficult to find . There are several products which set high standards and seem very similar in ability , this includes Symantec/Norton Internet Security 2010 .

You can usually get at least a 30 day "free" trial period before you need to buy a suite . As it is not really a question of which is the best , but which one suits you the best , I would always test one first before commiting to buying .

Obviously your final choice will depend on your new computer ; what ever you decide , Fred's advice (at the start of this/your thread) concerning using Symantec's Norton Removal Tool is important for removing your 2004 version .

Don't hesitate to ask if you need more help .

Take care
Anthony

PS : Don't know what your weather is like , but we have 30cm of neige down here in the Gard :))

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 9th Mar, 2010 06:26
Last edited on 9th Mar, 2010 06:30
Hi Francis;

Glad you made it back.

I too will encourage you to replace NAV 2004. You are at risk, not a panic though, but still a risk. (ad nauseum: use the Norton removal tool)

If you want a quick opinion, try Windows Security Essentials. It was easy to download and almost no setup. The 'free' version you have to manually update & 'scans' take awhile but can be scheduled for when your not around.

What can I say, it worked, it's free, Gizmo said it's detection rate is about as good as any, and it's simple. Plus, when I uninstalled, it went quietly.

That will keep you safe for now while you shop around. If your brave/care to, you can do as I currently am and try several out (one at a time) or just read the reviews. Then when you get your new machine you will know what you want.

Happy hunting;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+