Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: adobe reader

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
vicmac04 adobe reader
Member 27th Feb, 2010 05:11
Ranking: 0
User Since: 1st Apr, 2009
System Score: N/A
I keep getting a message from PSI that Adobe reader 9.x is insecure. When I click on the 'solution', my ULead Instant Viewer comes up???

thedillpickl RE: adobe reader
Contributor 27th Feb, 2010 05:57
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi vicmac04;

As there are multiple Adobe Reader threads ongoing in the forum, do you need help with the ULead Instant Viewer? I am not familiar with it, but I will try to help. It is published by Phoebe Micro, Inc., here's a link to their website: http://www.phoebemicro.com . Check the on-line help for info on this problem. They may also have a forum for users.

If you meant to find out why AR is showing insecure in PSI try this: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/356... . That's the most recent thread.

regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
vicmac48 RE: adobe reader
Member 27th Feb, 2010 17:44
Score: 0
User Since: 27th Feb 2010
Hi Fred,
Thanks so much for your response. I never use ULead, so uninstalled it, but I still had the 'insecure' for Adobe reader 9.x, so totally uninstalled it and re-installed and that seems to have taken care of the problem. There seems to be a lot of 'insecurities' with Adobe. Are there any other similar programs out there that you know of that would be better to use? Thanks again!
Vicki
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 27th Feb, 2010 23:01
Hi Vicki;

Yes the Adobe SNAFU, I could go into my usual rant (I have been known to do that, ask anyone whose been on the forum very long) but I'll be nice & give the short story.

There is no know usable replacement for Flash. If you need it for anything, like the pretty green (I hope yours are green) graphs in PSI, your stuck with it.

Reader has some good replacements. It all depends on if they work with the stuff you use and/or have the features you need. I like the free Foxit Reader for E-mails & such. http://www.foxitsoftware.com/ . They have a full line of 'paid for it' also. It would not work with TurboTax even though TT offered it as a download when I tried to print my forms. I had to install AR and then uninstall it. (There are ways to disable a program if you don't want anyone or anything to run it, without an uninstall. I'm funny that way, I just don't like it so I canned it. Oops, I'm ranting!)

There was a thread elsewhere on the forum awhile back about another reader that many liked. I couldn't find it but I'll ask around and post back here. If you go Googleing for a reader replacement be careful, there have been a lot of copycat sites full of malware and other nasties. Cnet http://download.cnet.com/windows/ and FileHippo http://www.filehippo.com/ are two popular sites (there are others) that are safe to download from.

Adobe AIR & Shockwave are seldom needed, often installed (by Adobe, without your knowledge) freebies. Shockwave is needed for some online games and such, I forget what miraculous feat AIR performs. And don't forget Adobe DLM (DownLoad Manager, it is a entity all to itself now, but has been well behaved so far. Other things out there not worth mentioning here.

BTW, why the change from vicmac04 to vicmac48?

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 27th Feb, 2010 23:24
p.s. I couldn't find the thread with the other reader but I found one (about Adobe screw ups) you might read if you have time. http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/244... I only had two short posts at the end of it. Must have been off my game that week! :)

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Feb, 2010 02:29
Hi Fred,
Thanks very much for all your info. I will read the post you added. For some reason, it wouldn't let me send a reply with vicmac04,,,,had to change it to vicmac48???
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 28th Feb, 2010 03:04
Hi Vicki;

A quick note about not letting you reply:

=======
Secunia recently changed the forum. One of the most notable (and disliked) changes is that it kicks you off every so often. If you take too long writing a reply (I do often) you loose your work. To prevent this from happening:

At the bottom right of your text, left click and hold, drag to the top left and release to highlight the text. Right click the text, click "Copy".

Now click the "Reply" button. If it comes up with the thread and your new post is at the bottom all is well. :) If it comes up with the Login page you were timed out and have to Login again. :(

Enter you Username & Password, click on "Login", find your thread. Click a "Reply" button, right click the "Content" window, click "Paste", click the "Reply" button. Whew!
=======

Hope this solves the disappearing reply problem, if that's what it was.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: adobe reader
Member 28th Feb, 2010 11:26
Fred (thedillpickl) and other posters what I have found it very useful is to copy (Ctrl+C) the address of the topic I'm looking at then open a new tab in the browser and in my case IE8 then paste (Ctrl+V) the address in the new tab address so that you can see the full thread:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/362...

Only 21 days until Spring arrives and beware as it is a Full moon tonight.
http://www.universetoday.com/guide-to-space/the-mo...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: adobe reader
Expert Contributor 28th Feb, 2010 13:07
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 28th Feb, 2010 13:16
@Fred (and Vicki:)) ,

The alternative to Adobe , Foxit etc., for "Readers" was raised by puget1 and discussed by Maurice Joyce about half way through in Gaye's thread (note the title;)) :-

http://www.docu-track.com/home/prod_user/PDF-XChan...

@Yokenny ,

As well as C&P for a specific thread , you can drag and drop the pale blue links above the log-in (upper left) to a new tab(s) for wider reference in both Firefox and Chrome , can't speak for IE .

@All :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYnySGM9dQA

Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Feb, 2010 18:59
Hi Fred & Anthony,
Thanks so much for all your info! I had to log-in again this time, but thanks to you I know how to do it now, and also know where to come for answers. Thanks again!
Vicki
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 1st Mar, 2010 00:19
OK, I'm gonna tell you my secret 'fix'. Don't tell anybody else.

A) I open my E-mail (Five pages of: "Secunia Support" Thread Updated! Egad!!!). I click on the first, then I go back to E-mail and click the first again (easy way to use YoKenny's idea).

B) If not answering E-mail notifications, but searching the forum, just copy/paste the address of the thread you're working into a new tab's address bar.

Use one to compose a reply, the other to recall what 'they' said.

Here's the trick, when you go back to read the post your responding to (in my case every minute or so), after you've refreshed your memory, click the 'refresh/reload the page' button in the address bar (of any browser I've seen). You can go straight back to work on your reply, not waiting to 'see' the refreshed/reloaded page. This fools Secunia into thinking you did something & are still there. Of course, to be safe, copy your work when finished.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: adobe reader
Expert Contributor 2nd Mar, 2010 11:24
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Two extras from me for Firefox and Chrome (IE??) :-

1)Click a link with the mouse centre scroll wheel and it will open in a new tab ,

and

2)you can one left click and hold a link , drag and drop it to an open part/empty space of the tab bar and it will create a new tab for you and open the link therein.

Hope this is useful for you .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Mar, 2010 16:43
Wow, Thanks again Fred & Anthony. I tried your 'secret' fix (I promise not to tell, Fred!) and the tip about clicking the center mouse button to open a link in a new tab works great, Anthony! Thank you!
Vicki
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability