Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Problem with search feature in forum

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
thedillpickl Problem with search feature in forum
Contributor 27th Feb, 2010 06:13
Ranking: 376
User Since: 3rd May, 2009
System Score: 100%
When attempting a search of the forum:

Selected 'Programs' in first drop down box.

Clicked arrow on 'Limit to a specific vendor:' box.

Couldn't scroll through vendor list, it would only go into the A's and then would bounce back to the top.

Closed that tab in my browser, opened a new tab with Secunia Forum, tried to search again and it worked fine.

Will post back here if problem reoccurs, hope others will do the same.

regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis

thedillpickl RE: Problem with search feature in forum
Contributor 27th Feb, 2010 06:20
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
OK, it's doing it again and I have tried several times. At first I thought maybe I wasn't letting the page completely download, but that wasn't it.

If it matters, I'm using Chrome on a dial-up ISP.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Problem with search feature in forum
Expert Contributor 27th Feb, 2010 09:32
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 27th Feb, 2010 09:41
Fred ,

As I use 150% zoom in Chrome the A's appear to the top right of the page with no scroll bar showing on the right and gives me your problem ; resetting the page with the bottom slider resolves the problem , even if all this fiddling is a pain . Try" search" without zoom .

Similarly , If you move the mouse pointer outside the "alphabet" box it goes straight back to the top as well , poorish design in my book ; you might want to take it up with "support" next week .

I use this "zoom" extension in Chrome - it's very good ;-

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/ocdkpk...

It loads an icon next to the "spanner" and "page" icons (top right(?)) and shows in "extensions" in the spanner drop down menu .

Hope this helps
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 27th Feb, 2010 23:46
Last edited on 27th Feb, 2010 23:49
Bonjour mon ami;

I agree with the "poorish design" thought. I hope that Secunia didn't pay much for it.

The problem seems to be resolved by 'grabbing' the square box (that represents the visible part of the window) in the scroll bar on the right. Then 'scrolling' the window by dragging the little box up & down. Not the most precise method of looking for something in a long list, but I got the search criteria I was looking for.

Still no idea why it worked the one time I mentioned in my first post.

Zoom doesn't seem to be affecting my situation. I am using the zoom already in Chrome (the 'page' icon, top right, dropdown menu, zoom). Hotkey to zoom larger freaked me out. It was late and I was blurry eyed. It was supposed to be "Larger Ctrl++", I thought it said "C++". My mind plays tricks on me occasionally.

Thanks;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Problem with search feature in forum
Member 1st Mar, 2010 08:54
Last edited on 2nd Mar, 2010 09:06 Hi,
it might be a problem with the hidden list not having fetched in it's entirety. If you wait until the page finished loading, does it still exhibit this behavior?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 2nd Mar, 2010 02:46
Last edited on 2nd Mar, 2010 02:49
Hi Emil;

I had thought that to be the cause but found it to make no difference. I have just checked to see if the problem could be repeated. It could not. Nothing was changed on my end. I had not tested with IE8 when the problem was originally detected.

I just checked with Chrome v.4.0.249.89 and Internet Explorer v.8.0.6001.18702 . Using "Search", select "Programs" in drop down box. In the "Limit to a specific vendor:" box, I can scroll correctly using; 1) the mouse scroll wheel, 2) the 'up arrow' and 'down arrow' on the keyboard, 3) the up & down buttons on the right hand of the box, 4) the 'page up' and 'page down' on the key board.

Thanks for responding. If I can answer anymore questions for you, post back with instructions.

best regards;

Fred

p.s. The 'zoom' feature of the browser had no effect in either case.

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 2nd Mar, 2010 02:56
Anthony;

If your still monitoring, I take back the 'poorish design' remark said earlier. With all the sloppy design out there, it's easy to complain too quickly. Seems we haven't given Secunia time to fix their foibles.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Problem with search feature in forum
Member 2nd Mar, 2010 09:08
Hi,

About our design: We did increase the font size, as requested. Are you still having problems reading without using excessive zoom?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Problem with search feature in forum
Expert Contributor 2nd Mar, 2010 10:19
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A

Hello Emil ,

The font changes (size , space and (consequent) apparent colour perspective) are good .

With old eyes I still need more zoom than before (on the "old" Forum) in order to set my reading comfort ; but what I end up with now is excellent .

However , the full page sizing , with all it's extras , is still (for me) over complicated/detailed and not "readable" without zoom ; this means that it is necessary to do a lot more "fiddling navigation" than previously (and have a good memory) to get around .

The "big" thing at the moment is the arbitrary log out and related loss of some people's replies if they have not mad a copy (I mailed support yesterday :) .

Thanks for keeping up with us all .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 2nd Mar, 2010 14:09
Hi Emil;

I now notice the font size change. After thinking on it, I currently only need to zoom after extended session. Still have to get used to navigating the new format.

I do agree with Anthony, would it be possible to extend the time before Logout? I would still recommend that people save their work. I a short response, such as this, we shouldn't have to worry about having to Login.

Thank you!;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer