Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Adobe Download Manager

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
mrpianist Adobe Download Manager
Member 27th Feb, 2010 12:23
Ranking: 0
User Since: 24th Feb, 2008
System Score: N/A
This is to inform all users and Secunia itself that Secunia PSI does not appear to detect the need to replace installations of the Adobe Download Manager dated prior to 2/23/2010. Adobe is advising users to remove older versions and PSI needs to be updated to detect this issue.

Jeff

Mcd73165 RE: Adobe Download Manager
Member 27th Feb, 2010 16:43
Score: 7
User Since: 13th May 2009
Adobe Download Manager is unnecessary and not needed to download Adobe products. If it is already installed then uninstall it.
Mark
Was this reply relevant?
+0
nskap10w RE: Adobe Download Manager
Member 1st Mar, 2010 18:25
Score: 0
User Since: 1st Mar 2010
Even after it is uninstalled and the NOS folder is deleted, PSI still shows the vulnerability.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Wynn-M RE: Adobe Download Manager
Member 1st Mar, 2010 19:12
User Since: 26th Feb 2010
Last edited on 1st Mar, 2010 19:13
I had the same problem with Download Manager but also with other revealed vulnerabilities like Adobe Reader 5 which is obsolete. It has been uninstalled and replaced with version 9.?? but still remains on the to-do list. I'm a new user for Secunia and I'm not very impressed with the results.

I used the advanced secunia - Google chrome, Excel, powerpoint and Word were all updated but still remain on the vulnerability list. Its very frustrating and takes up a lot of time that I don't have. If I can't find out why this is happening then I shall just uninstall Secunia PSI and remain oblivious to the vulnerabilities.

Come on Secunia what's your problem?

--
Wynn-M
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Adobe Download Manager
Expert Contributor 1st Mar, 2010 19:27
Score: 2371
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 1st Mar, 2010 19:30
@Wynn-M ,

You will probably get more help if you start your own thread for your raft of problems rather than riding this specific topic thread .

Before you do that here is some basic help ;-

To help resolve any problem , here are some instructions to help you first of all get the best out of PSI :-

1)use PSI in "advanced" mode ;
2)in the "settings" tab make sure that the box in the first/upper section is NOT ticked in order to have the maximum info available ;
3)tell us in which "tab(s)" your problem programme is located ;
4)in that tab , click on the + in the box at the left end of the programme , the page will expand ;
5)in the expanded page , tell us what is written in the "installation path" ;
6)in the "toolbox" section , lower down , the link "technical details" should confirm the installation path details ;
7)click on the link "open folder" and you will see more details concerning the location of the "problem" .

Posting these details will help the Forum help you , if/when you have a problem .

If you can't resolve the problems yourself , try using the "search" facilities to find a relevant thread ; if you get stuck start your own thread .

Hope that this clears up a few points .

Anthony

PS: getting "secure" takes time , you decide your priorities ; but PSI isn't designed to do anything , other than scan , without your input .

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Mar, 2010 21:40
I have tried all of your suggestions with the Adobe Download Manager. The Program folder no longer exists (C:\Program Files\NOS\bin\getPlusPlus_Adobe.exe). I have rebooted, run another fullscan, and the Insecure notice still comes up.

I have checked and the folder is not hidden, the Service no longer exists, and I cannot figure out anything further do do for this.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 1st Mar, 2010 21:56

@nskap10w ,

Have you followed the instructions given in my post directly above yours , if so can you post the exact details of the info requested .

Where does te "open folder" icon lead you ??

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Mar, 2010 22:55
Open Folder has no effect - it just sits on the Secunia PSI window. However, it does not show that this link is not available, as does the popup on the first 2 icons in the wondow, Download Solution and Solution Wizard.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Mar, 2010 23:08
Last edited on 1st Mar, 2010 23:09
I also just noticed that the Overview page says No programs are marked insecure at the top of the page, however, the Insecure Tab is highlighted in Red and shows the Adobe DLM as insecure. In addition, under State of Programs, it still shows 1 insecure program. Also, the Tray application also shows 1 insecure program.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Mar, 2010 23:23
Just downloaded latest version (1.5.0.1 - was running 1.5.0.0). After looping through the Scan about 8 times, it finally resolved and now shows no insecure programs).
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 2nd Mar, 2010 11:15

@nskap10w ,

There is no real difference between 1.5.0.0 and 1.5.0.1 ; but a quick reinstall , reload interface or cold restart often solve Windoze and software glitches .

Glad you're working again .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Wynn-M RE: Adobe Download Manager
Member 3rd Mar, 2010 14:39
User Since: 26th Feb 2010
Last edited on 3rd Mar, 2010 14:41
Hello Anthony
Thanks for your guidance. However, I owe this forum and Secunia an apology. I discovered that Adobe Acrobat Reader 5x, still showing up on the to-do list, is actually on another hard drive on my PC. It contains a previous copy of Windows Home Edition 2003 which I am holding on to in case of data loss on the new hard drive installed a few months ago and which I had forgotten about.

I shall switch to the old hard drive and either remove or update the older applications which will of course cure the problem.

Apologies for my misgivings. Secunia is not at fault here.

--
Wynn-M
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 3rd Mar, 2010 16:45

Hello Wynn-M ,

Good to hear you located your source of "insecure" programmes - if any are on your main drive that you cannot fix , let us know .

A pure back up drive may contain files you really want to keep or you cannot access which show as "insecure" ; as the drive is not in "active use" there is no immediate danger from the old files .

You can set an ignore rule for any programme using the "ignore program" icon in the "toolbox" of the expanded page in PSI . PSI will still scan the item but no longer reports or displays it . The rules you set are found at the bottom of the PSI "settings" tab .

You can also create your own global rule for the whole drive by simply using just the drive letter for the rule :eg: "X:\ " (without the quotation marks) . Again , PSI scans but does not display .

Of course ,you should always have a very good reason to choose to mask an insecure programme .

Hope this helps a bit more.

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Factsheets
Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability