xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Repeated 'no insecure program messages then repeated "insecure pr...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
bluetongue Repeated 'no insecure program messages then repeated "insecure programs" messages
Member 28th Feb, 2010 01:46
Ranking: 0
User Since: 20th Dec, 2007
System Score: N/A
PSi ha s been running flawlessly for years.

Today received repeated notifications the no insecure programs were found - about 5 at 10 minute intervals.

Rebooted the PC then was notified that two insecure programs (C:\Program Files\NOS\bin\getPlusPlus_Adobe.exe & C:\Program Files\Google\Picasa3\Picasa3.exe) were found.

Carried out the required updates and the programs have been deleted/updated

Still receive the Insecure programs message (repeated the scan three times including after reboot) and have verified that C:\Program Files\NOS\bin\getPlusPlus_Adobe.exe no longer exists using three different methods.

PSI is grabbing up to 50% CPU when not scanning.

Installed latest MS Daylight saving update two days ago - could this be significant?

Using XP SP3 fully patched.
Bob

thedillpickl RE: Repeated 'no insecure program messages then repeated "insecure programs" messages
Contributor 28th Feb, 2010 03:22
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 28th Feb, 2010 03:23
Hi Bob;

Certain programs don't like it if your clock is wrong. Make sure the date/time is correct.

=======
Make sure you have an internet connection.

Right click the clock on the task bar.

Click "Adjust Date/Time".

Click the "Internet Time" tab.

Click the "Update Now" button.

Wait until you see the message "The time has been successfully synchronized...", it will take a minute.
=======

Post back if this doesn't help.

regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bluetongue RE: Repeated 'no insecure program messages then repeated "insecure programs" messages
Member 28th Feb, 2010 03:54
Score: 0
User Since: 20th Dec 2007
Checked the internet time as advised.

There appears to be a problem with PSI itself as it now using up to 90% CPU even when left alone in the background for several minutes.

It still reports the non-existent file - C:\Program Files\NOS\bin\getPlusPlus_Adobe.exe.

The 'Open Folder' link does nothing - presumably because the folder does not exist.

Bob
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Repeated 'no insecure program messages then repeated "insecure programs" messages
Contributor 28th Feb, 2010 05:09
Last edited on 28th Feb, 2010 05:24
Hi Bob;

You did not say if you had reset the time as requested. If not, please follow steps above before proceeding. Also, restart your computer after reseting the time. Thank you.

If you don't mind, I'd like for you to uninstall PSI, power off your machine and then reinstall PSI. If your on high speed it won't take long.

Click on the "Start" button, click on Control Panel, then on Add or Remove, select Secunia PSI, click on "Remove".

After restart, go to http://secunia.com/products/consumer/ (you might want to write this down) to download PSI.

I think PSI automatically runs a scan when installed. If not, do so now.

Did this solve the problem? Post back and let me know.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bluetongue RE: Repeated 'no insecure program messages then repeated "insecure programs" messages
Member 28th Feb, 2010 08:39
I removed and reinstalled PSI and the problem no longer exists

I am wondering why

1 The program behaviour changed - using 90% CPU when not actively selected

2 Why it reported the existence of a non-existent file

Thankyou for your help

Bob
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Repeated 'no insecure program messages then repeated "insecure programs" messages
Member 28th Feb, 2010 13:01
bluetongue you appear to be using Windows 7 so see my post in the following topic and follow the remaining advice:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/363...

Go to My Profile then in Community Profile select Timezone for your city and Country then fill in Signature with a signature that you want appended to every thread or post you create.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Feb, 2010 18:44
I am using XP SP3 as stated in the start of the thread
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 1st Mar, 2010 00:45
Hi Bob & YoKenny;

@YoKenny, he did say XP, but thanks for trying! :)

@Bob, I don't know why, but have seen this before in PSI and other programs. You wouldn't think the time of day had anything to do with it. Have also seen PSI 'hang' for no good reason. Uninstall/reinstall worked before and is easy to do, so why not try it? Always do the simple stuff first.

Glad your going again.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability