Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: non-Microsoft browsers

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
taffy078 non-Microsoft browsers
Contributor 1st Mar, 2010 05:42
Ranking: 408
User Since: 26th Feb, 2009
System Score: 100%
As from today, Microsoft will offer europeans a choice of browsers, as part of a deal with the EU over the long-running dispute:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8537763.stm

(1) How ironic that members of the public who are not PC-savvy and who do not use Secunia may now find themselves using another vulnerable browser - Firefox - according to other threads here!
(2) What is the problem anyway? Anyone with IE pre-installed can download any of the other browsers (and select it as their main one) without any problems can't they? Or am I missing something?

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003

Anthony Wells RE: non-Microsoft browsers
Expert Contributor 1st Mar, 2010 18:41
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 1st Mar, 2010 18:45
Hello taffy ,

All browsers are vulnerable at all times with periodic variations ; having to choose may make people aware of "safe browsing" requirements - or not :(

What is set as your default browser tends to be the one (as a newbie) you get used to and with time the one you prefer and stick with regardless .

I was advised by my "personal techie" to try lots of different thingys before I got set in my ways - this included trying browsers like Firefox (current default) as well as IE (default at the time) .

It is a matter of choice and allowing people to think/ask questions for themselves and be involved from the outset - maybe ??

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogsi RE: non-Microsoft browsers
Member 1st Mar, 2010 23:15
Score: 65
User Since: 11th Feb 2010
System Score: N/A
on 1st Mar, 2010 05:42, taffy078 wrote:
As from today, Microsoft will offer europeans a choice of browsers, as part of a deal with the EU over the long-running dispute:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8537763.stm

(1) How ironic that members of the public who are not PC-savvy and who do not use Secunia may now find themselves using another vulnerable browser - Firefox - according to other threads here!
(2) What is the problem anyway? Anyone with IE pre-installed can download any of the other browsers (and select it as their main one) without any problems can't they? Or am I missing something?

Is it really possible that there are Europeans with only Internet Explorer as their browser, " blissfully" unaware that they have choice of others ? It must be so. Presented with a prompt, it may cause some thought, if they download the update. Can anyone have missed all the ballyhoo.....it only pops up if IE is at default. A diehard isn't gonna bother. Each to their own faves and learn to get on ?

--
Toshiba L300D AMD Athlon X2 Vista Home Premium 32bit OS SP2
Chrome 5.0.342.3 dev / IE8 1GB RAM+4GB Readyboost
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer