Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: connection problems

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
All Threads

This thread has been marked as locked.
terry p connection problems
Member 1st Mar, 2010 14:07
Ranking: 0
User Since: 10th Feb, 2010
System Score: N/A
I can't reload Secunia interface. A message appears stating "please wait while network connectivity is verified." While I am on the web doing other things the Secunia interface can't connect shows this message constantly.

Before I started getting this message several days ago I was in the process of trying to secure my computer every time I connected. I can't work on it all at once, as it seems I have quite a few security issues, so I do so when I have time. Little by little I slowly expected to fix my security issues. So, before this problem began, each time I'm logged on to the internet I got a message through the Secunia interface that I have end of life issues and other security issues in the advanced mode. I was trying when one day I got this please wait message and I haven't been able to use the interface again.
I wonder why. I was in the process.
Before I got Secunia I felt as though I was pretty secure. I have virus protection, a nice fire wall along with other security measures blocking spy-ware. Now though after trying out your free software to detect problems I'm having mixed thoughts especially with this dialog box which excludes my further use of the Secunia software. What did I do wrong?
I do have a firewall that asked me if I wanted to allow Secunia to connect once and since I didn't have time to work on my problems I declined. Did that have anything to do with my connectivity?
terry p

This user no longer exists RE: connection problems
Member 1st Mar, 2010 14:13
Hi,

The PSI needs to be able to connect to Secunia servers.

You need to add http:*.secunia.com and https:*.secunia.com to your trusted sites in Internet Explorer. To do this please follow these steps: Open Internet Explorer (even if you use other browsers for surfing, etc) Click Tools > Internet Options > Security > Trusted Sites, click “Sites” and add the 2 above sites.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
terry p RE: connection problems
Member 1st Mar, 2010 18:52
Score: 0
User Since: 10th Feb 2010
Thanks Emil Peterson:

It didn't work.

I did add the address with the (s) > https:*.secunia.com < to IE with no problem. But, IE didn't accept the address without the (s) > http:*.secunia.com. <.

I assume that is the reason that I'm still getting the message "please wait while network connectivity is verified."

I find it a little unsettling that I was able to use Secunia for about a week or longer without having to tweak my IE security. It seems I'm opening up holes in my security instead of patching them by accepting address that I didn't have to before.

Anyway, I appreciate your assistance. Do you or anyone else have any other suggestions?

Thanks again for your help!
terry p
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: connection problems
Expert Contributor 1st Mar, 2010 19:10
Score: 2414
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 1st Mar, 2010 19:14
Hello Terry

wr has just posted on this thread so he may get to you ; if not follow in exact detail his method part way through the thread :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/363...

Hope this helps

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
wr RE: connection problems
Contributor 1st Mar, 2010 21:05
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 1st Mar, 2010 21:10
Hi Terry

h. Look at the bottom of the page and take the tick from the box marked"Require server verification(HTTPS)for all site zones" then type in the following and press the Add button to add them to the Trusted Zone Sites list:
http://*.secunia.com
https://*.secunia.com

Emils post is correct except that you MUST take the tick
from the box FIRST or as you've found out you cannot add the http
address to the trusted sites.

Hope this helps

Regards, wr

EDIT On your question about allowing your firewalls ALLOW setting, yes
your firewall must be set to allow OUTBOUND & INBOUND
for the PSI to connect correctly.

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 1st Mar, 2010 22:37
Hello wr & Anthony Wells:

I now have both links below listed in the trusted zone sites in the securty section of IE:

http://*.secunia.com
https://*.secunia.com

I didn't know about ticking the botton at first. But that is done.

Funny everything worked fine a week ago without that adjustment???

I still have the problem which is a dialog asking me to, "please wait while network connectivity is verified".

As for the firewall, I have ZoneAlarm. It is set to allow, with my permission, who or what ever entity tries to connect to me or my computer. If I don't recognize the entity I don't allow. But, it allows entry with my permision. So, there should be no problem. For example, in order to be assured that my IE setting adjustment took affect I restarted my computer. When I did, I reconnected to the internet and there was dialog with ZoneAlarm asking whether to allow secunia. That was because I had the dialog going with you guys using Firefox 3.6. Anyway I allowed secunia but still secunia after several days of this asking me to wait while connectivity is verified.

What else could it be?

I've racked my brain and can't think of anything I've done, with the exception of clearing my recent history in Firefox, which I do periodically. It seems that Secunia has a browser of its own clearing my browsing history wouldn't affect it, would it?

Do you have any other suggestion?

I'm thinking maybe about uninstalling Secunia and then reinstalling it. Is that a good or bad idea?
Again, I appreciate all the help from you guys.

terry p
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 1st Mar, 2010 22:53
Hi Terry

Glad to know you've got most everything ironed out. Sometimes you
can right click the PSI icon in the system tray & left click Reload interface
& this will solve the problem-sometimes not.

This seems to be an ongoing problem with some folks irregardless
of their method of internet connection type. There's an ongoing thread here
but I don't remember the title. Suggest you use the Search feature if
interested in following that thread.

Regards, wr

--
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 2nd Mar, 2010 04:52
wr
I have nothing resolved. I've successfully followed all the suggestions but none worked.
My problem is that I can't reload the interface with secunia. A dialog box keeps appearing stating "please wait while network connectivity is verified". But it doesn't connect. It has been this way for about a week now.
I'm going to uninstall the program. I didn't want to do that thinking that I will loose some info about the upgrades that I've done. But I don't know what else to do.
Thanks again
terry p
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Mar, 2010 09:09
Hi,

Please open Internet Explorer and go to Tools->Internet Options->Advanced->Security->Check for server certificate revocation.

The Secunia SSL certificate is signed by Thawte. If the Thawte site is not accessible from the computer, and if this option is selected, then the PSI will fail to connect to our site. So please remove the check at “Check for server certificate revocation".

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Mar, 2010 15:30
Thanks for your efforts Emil

I checked IE>tools>internet options>advanced>under security I noticed that the box wasn't clicked for >Check for server certificate revocation (requires restart).

I've made several adjustments to my computer( mostly to IE) which I rarely use and this tweaking wasn't required and seemed to be irrelevant when I first got this Secunia software. But I made the adjustments anyway which turned out to be futile to this connectivity issue.

I'm beginning to think my computer has been invaded somehow. I suspect everything at this point, and primarily Secunia. I'm not sure where to turn for help except to take more chances with you guys or simply to uninstall this software and hope I didn't contract some fatal virus while using it.

I hate to sound pessimistic but it seems that this software has access to parts of my computer that I can't even get into to fix. Now, it won't even respond to me or connect to the internet. I'm wondering if I now have a zombie computer.

Thanks anyway for your efforts Emil Peterson

terry p
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Mar, 2010 15:56
Hi,

I can absolutely assure you that the PSI does not infect you system with viruses. The PSI and CSI try to help keep you from getting your system effected, by helping close the holes frequently used by crackers to compromise your machine.

The PSI uses IE because it's a build-in alternative to coding from stratch. The options you changed should only apply to your trusted sites, eg. the sites you specifically specify should be allowed to do these things, and shouldn't affect your general level of security.

We'd like to help you fix any problems you still have, but yours seems to be a bit tricky. Are you using any firewalls, and if so, could you please try adding psi.exe as a trusted application, or similar, depending on your firewall?

it would also help if you emailed us a debug log @ support@secunia.com. You can obtain such a log by:

closing the PSI, then pressing start > run and entering "cmd".
From here, enter "cd "C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\" and "psi.exe --verbose --debug secunia.txt".
Then please email us the file "secunia.txt", located at C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 2nd Mar, 2010 16:02
Last edited on 2nd Mar, 2010 16:05
Hello Terry P ,

Just a shot in the dark , you don't say which version of Zone Alarm you are using , but having blocked Secunia once , has the Firewall "expert" rules or "black" list retained anything ; it has in the past for me (on another piece of software) and needed resetting from a red "x" to a green tick .

PSI needs outbound and inbound access for calling home and scanning .

Have you checked the ZA logs recently??

Anthony

EDIT: post crossed with Secunia expert ; so ignore this .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 2nd Mar, 2010 16:32
Good morning Anthony

I was thinking along the same things re:ZoneAlarm-sometimes
firewalls can pose a real problem. I still think that
checking the logs of ZA is a good idea.

The only other thing that comes to my mind could be that Terry
doesn't have a default browser set or may have accidentally
changed/deleted the setting. I would check that also. Also don't
worry about losing any upgrades that you
have made using the solutions that the PSI has offered.

Not a real techie here so that's all I can
think of at this time. Hope this helps.

Regards, wr

--
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 2nd Mar, 2010 17:40
Last edited on 2nd Mar, 2010 17:50
Hello wr ,

I noticed on another "connection" thread (can't just find it for now***) that a Firefox user had reset IE as his default browser , PSI started working and then he has reset Firefox and things stiil seem to work !!

Maybe terry could look into that later as you suggest .

Crazy computing :))

Anthony

Edit : ***nearly last post by Silencer_1967 on this thread :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/156...

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 2nd Mar, 2010 18:08
Anthony
Thanks for the reply with the link about setting &
resetting default browser.

Agree-computing=Cyberworld-full of mysteries & sometimes
pleasant surprises-tho more unpleasant than pleasant it seems.

Regards, wr

--
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 3rd Mar, 2010 04:09
Hey it worked!!

Thanks Anthony Wells and Emil Petersen for your persistent help and wr for coming up with the answer. Who would have expected that IE default would be the square peg? Funny

What I did was switch the default browsing to IE but nothing seemed to happen pronto. So, I closed everything and rebooted and then upon starting up Secunia notified me that I had several insecure items that needed attention. That was it. I'm back in the Secunia business.

I appreciate you guys and maybe one day I'll be able to return the favor. But don't expect a miracle from me. I am some what technically challenged and a little superstitious of these magical digits..

Thanks again

terry p
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 3rd Mar, 2010 04:46
Hey Terry

Good to know all is well now. It just took a little concentrated effort by all, including you.

Thanks for posting back as this may very well help someone with the same problem.

As I said before Cyberworld=surprises-this time it was pleasant one.

Regards, wr

--
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Mar, 2010 09:03
Hi,

I'm glad you got everything working, but I have to add just one thing:
You don't have to set IE as your default browser if you don't want to. The PSI uses IE, so the settings changes you made effect it, but you should continue to use whichever browser you prefer.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 3rd Mar, 2010 12:18

Hello Emil ,

Would having IE set as the default browser - albeit temporarily - make any difference to how Secunia/PSI reads the required security settings/changes either before , during or after the changes were made ??

It does appear to have occurred twice now for posters (that we know of) and is possibly more than simple coincidence .

Is it anything you can check out :eg: in the PSI debug log ; so , next time , the log is made before a set up change is suggested ?? I realise that sounds like a lot of work .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Mar, 2010 12:30
Hi Anthony,

Theoretically, there is no reason changing your default browser should help anything - The PSI doesn't care, and just uses IE no matter what. In practice though, you never know.

Next time someone reports this, I'll get him to run it in debug mode when making the change, and see if anything interesting sticks out.

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability