Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Vista won't let PSI start up

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
bhenshaw Vista won't let PSI start up
Member 9th Mar, 2010 20:42
Ranking: 18
User Since: 29th Apr, 2009
System Score: 93%
Vista is not letting PSI start up automatically. I have the option set in PSI to start automatically. PSI also shows up in the Startup programs in the start menu. What happens is that PSI tries to start but Vista stops it and tells me in a tray icon message that it has stopped it and makes me start it up manually from there each time. I think this is because PSI requires some type of elevated privledges. Is there some way to adjust things so that PSI will start up automatically?

Thanks!

mogsi RE: Vista won't let PSI start up
Member 11th Mar, 2010 23:53
Score: 65
User Since: 11th Feb 2010
System Score: N/A

There was a very similar post, just the other day. Tho' that was rectified by the user making certain that Secunia was included in the Start-up progs ( from memory).
Presumeably you've already checked your settings within IE8 as regards Secunia ?
If you use progs such as CCleaner/Revouninstaller....is Secunia shown as enabled at start-up with them also ? It "sounds" as tho' there may be a conflict somewhere.
You've probably already moved on with this problem, as it's been a while since you posted ? Regards

--
Toshiba L300D AMD Athlon X2 Vista Home Premium 32bit OS SP2
Chrome 5.0.342.3 dev / IE8 1GB RAM+4GB Readyboost
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bhenshaw RE: Vista won't let PSI start up
Member 12th Mar, 2010 00:24
Score: 18
User Since: 29th Apr 2009
Thanks for the reply. I am still trying to figure it out. My problem is a little different. Vista is trying to start the program. However, it gets blocked.

In the tray is an icon which says "Blocked startup programs". When I click on the icon I get a menu with three options, "Show or remove blocked startup programs", "Run blocked program", and "View help".

If I click on "Run blocked program" and select Secunia PSI, I get a window that pops up that says the programs needs your permissionm to continuee and I have to click on "continue" and then PSI starts up. I think this is part of Vista's user account control maybe.

I would like PSI to just start up without having to go through this hassle every time I boot up. Is there some way I can tell Vista to let PSI start up without going through this extra step each time?

Thanks!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: Vista won't let PSI start up
Contributor 12th Mar, 2010 05:46
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
# I'm running Windows Vista as an administrator, but I can't get the Secunia PSI to run automatically. What should I do?

Windows Vista implemented more security into the operating system in the form of User Access Controls (UAC), which is enabled by default. This means that even if you are running as a system administrator, you will not be able to configure certain programs, including the Secunia PSI, to run automatically. This is a known limitation.

Because disabling the UAC is not recommended by Microsoft, a workaround available to users of the Secunia PSI in Vista is to manually run the PSI by right-clicking on the icon and choosing "Run as Administrator". An additional workaround is to create a scheduled task that executes at every system startup using the Microsoft Task Scheduler. Make sure that you enable the PSI task to run with "highest privileges".

The above statement is from the Secunia PSI FAQ.

Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 31.2.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Mar, 2010 05:55
wr,

Thanks for the reply.

What is weird is that Secunia has started up just fine on my laptop for over a year. This error just started a few days ago. I didn't change anything having to do with UAC although I did just install some Windows Security Updates earlier this week. Not sure if that might be responsible.

So... I see you are also running Vista. Do you also get the "blocked programs" error when you try to start up PSI automatically?

Thanks!

Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: Vista won't let PSI start up
Contributor 12th Mar, 2010 07:09
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
Bill

No I don't. I actually disabled UAC shortly after buying the
computer with Win Vista pre-installed back in 2007.

You might also check that your firewall isn't doing the blocking though it does resemble UAC asking all the questions. It's been a long time since
I've had anything to do with the UAC so I don't remember exactly the
process.

Hope you get to the bottom of this as I've run out of ideas
for the time being.

Enjoy the weekend.

Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 31.2.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Mar, 2010 03:10
Again, thanks for the reply.

I'm sure it is UAC that is doing it. There is a HELP option too that I hadn't paid any attention to when I right click on the icon in the tray. When I select that it tells me that it is UAC that is blocking the startup of PSI.

Is there any way to set UAC to allow PSI to start up? I can't find anything when I wander through contrl panel.

Also are other people seeing this same thing happen? Is this just expected behavior under Vista or has something gotten messed up on my computer?

Thanks!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogsi RE: Vista won't let PSI start up
Member 13th Mar, 2010 03:54
Score: 65
User Since: 11th Feb 2010
System Score: N/A
This is not likely to help you it seems.....I've got UAC enabled as Administrator (try not to buck the OS....AS RECOMMENDED) and Secunia starting at boot. This seems contrary to some of the previous reading.

--
Toshiba L300D AMD Athlon X2 Vista Home Premium 32bit OS SP2
Chrome 5.0.342.3 dev / IE8 1GB RAM+4GB Readyboost
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+