Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: New Forum Features

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
M.Hansen New Forum Features
Secunia Official 10th Mar, 2010 15:10
Ranking: 188
User Since: 26th Jan, 2009
System Score: N/A
Hi

We have now updated the Secunia Forum with some brand new features, and improved some of this existing.

Forum handlers:
Secunia officials can now promote selected users to become a “Handling Contributor”, a title which provides administrative privileges, such as the ability to move and close threads, as well as increased voting power.

Replies - relevancy score:
Users can vote on replies with a positive or negative value, marking them as either relevant or irrelevant. An irrelevant post would be hidden/minimised by default, with the ability to display it at a click of a button. The votes that replies receive, will count towards the user's total vote score (Ranking), which in turn determines the user's title.

Member titles:
Users will now have a title based on the vote score of positive/negative votes he/she has received. Higher level titles will allow a user to pass out more votes on a single reply to give the reply more value (a higher relevancy rating).

Titles:
Title: (New) Member
Badge color: Green
Requirements: 0 - 100 votes AND less than 1 month of membership
Vote Power: 1 vote

Title: Member
Badge color: Light Green
Requirements: 0 - 100 votes AND more than 1 month of membership
Vote Power: 1 vote

Title: Contributor
Badge color: Yellow
Requirements: 101 - 500 votes
Vote Power: 1-3 votes

Title: Dedicated Contributor
Badge color: Orange
Requirements: 501 - 1500 votes
Vote Power: 1-5 votes

Title: Expert Contributor
Badge color: Secunia Red
Requirements: 1501+ votes
Vote Power: 1-10 votes

Special titles:
Title: Secunia Official
Vote Power: 1-100
Ability to administrate threads

Title: Handling Contributor
Requirements: Specially promoted by Secunia
Vote Power: 1-25 votes
Ability to administrate threads

Title: Security Researcher
Badge color: Blue

Title: Vendor
Badge color: Blue

Statistics page:
Various forum statistics such as:
Most discussed products:
Will show the most active product entries in the past 10 days, based on the number of ALL posts for that certain product.

Top 10 hot threads:
Will show the most active threads within the forum, in the past 10 days

User rankings:
Will show the top 10 forum users, including ranking and score

Login popup:
When creating forum threads/replies/quotes a HTML login window well appear immediately, without navigating away from the current page.

Accept answer:
The user who created a forum threads can select a posted reply as an accepted answer. The result would be that the forum thread will be marked as locked/resolved and the author of the selected reply will have their ranking increased by 5 votes.

If you have any comments or feedback, simply reply to this thread.

wr RE: New Forum Features
Contributor 10th Mar, 2010 20:14
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
Thank you very much Secunia.

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 31.3.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+6
bjm__ RE: New Forum Features
Member 11th Mar, 2010 19:34
Score: 64
User Since: 9th Mar 2009
Please clarify the new Relevancy Score system. What prompts > This reply has been minimized due to a negative Relevancy Score. How many thumbs down prompts a post minimization. Is Relevancy Scoring exclusively user based. May Secunia thumb up/down a post. May Secunia minimize a post for cause. So, if I just don't like a user for any reason... all I have to do to...is vote negative.
Very democratic ~ one negative; and any opinion, any contribution, any post is minimized.

Respectfully submitted
bjm-

Was this reply relevant?
+3
MaritimeRider RE: New Forum Features
Member 12th Mar, 2010 00:58
Score: 22
User Since: 15th Mar 2009
These features are long overdue. This should cut down on irrelevant posts and repetition which only served as wasting time that could be better used in viewing pertinent info. .Rating posters enables the viewer a better handle on the source of the info. Closing the thread was lacking but now that that can occur, is there a way to find if an issue had been posted and a response available. Many sites recommend doing this before posting a new thread, but I do not have the knowledge on how to achieve it.
Thk. you secunia and staff.Cannot get over the fact that this software is free with no terms attached.
Was this reply relevant?
+4
M.Hansen RE: New Forum Features
Secunia Official 12th Mar, 2010 10:05
Score: 188
User Since: 26th Jan 2009
Last edited on 12th Mar, 2010 15:26
on 11th Mar, 2010 19:34, bjm__ wrote:
Please clarify the new Relevancy Score system. What prompts > This reply has been minimized due to a negative Relevancy Score. How many thumbs down prompts a post minimization. Is Relevancy Scoring exclusively user based. May Secunia thumb up/down a post. May Secunia minimize a post for cause. So, if I just don't like a user for any reason... all I have to do to...is vote negative.
Very democratic ~ one negative; and any opinion, any contribution, any post is minimized.

Respectfully submitted
bjm-

Thank you for your feedback.
We have changed the way posts are hidden.
They now require a score of -2 meaning that either an advanced user will have to give you more -votes or at least 2 users will have to vote you down.
We will keep an eye on how this works, and might change the number again if needed
This user no longer exists RE: New Forum Features
Member 12th Mar, 2010 19:50
Last edited on 12th Mar, 2010 20:00 I hope this does not become like WOT (Web of Trust)

I vote for you if I like what you say.
If it has no value or not true I vote against you.

Looks like I'll have to wait and see.
Was this reply relevant?
+3
TiMow RE: New Forum Features
Dedicated Contributor 13th Mar, 2010 12:19
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 13th Mar, 2010 13:03
Hello all,

I too, like others so far, would like to commend Secunia on their continued efforts to improve the structure and content of the Forum, in making it a vital tool in promoting computer security to the end-user.

Unfortunately, I too, like some, also question the relevancy and accuracy of the relevance scoring, as this may turn out to be more subjective than objective.

Although, this seems a good idea that new members, or existing members who don`t use the forum regularly, can get an idea of the experience and/or competence of regular contributors , I also believe that it could be open to possible misuse (both intentional and unintentional), as previously voiced.

For example, the respondents to this thread have probably received more total relevance points (to my knowledge), than on any other single thread, where, maybe more technically challenging issues have been addressed and solved; than here, where merely opinions and recommendations are being offered.

In the first reply above, @wr, (whom I hold in the highest regard), wanted to express his appreciation of the new forum changes, by merely saying "thank you", and worryingly has received 4 relevant marks - whereas, in the past he has offered detailed and informed response to others`problems and received "nil points".

Which brings me to my next point:- despite the fact that this relevance scoring has been in place for only the last two days, the scores seem to be retrospective, with some of them (including my own), changing without any new input from those concerned (accepting, but not limited to, the 5 "bonus" points for a final, accepted reply) . This, to me, suggests that some members who may have a bit of time on their hands and wish to broaden their understanding of computer security (as expressed on the Secunia Forum), by re-reading previous threads, can still award relevance marks on any reply where the thread is not locked. (possibly, a bit like marking homework). I am still undecided if this is a good thing or not.

An alternative solution to this isn`t immediately forthcoming; but, maybe only those contributors to a specific thread, should have the entitlement to score the relevance of other replies on the same thread.

One final point relating to the closing or locking of threads. I think it should be more apparent as to who actually closed a thread - the initiator or Secunia (or their approved handler).

In the case of the initiator accepting an answer, I believe it would be better if the thread still remained open, (only being closed by Secunia Official), but just showed that an answer had been accepted by the original poster. Sometimes additional input on a subject may still be relevantly offered; - or in the case of both @mogsi and myself (in the last 24 hrs.), a new thread had to be started just to come back on one final point - to offer thanks, and to answer a minor question, respectively. This can only clog up the forum with irrelevant posts.

In the past, the originator of a thread, has sometimes soon fallen by the wayside, but the thread itself has been continued along the same or similar track, by another member, who may feel more comfortable joining in on an existing thread, than starting their own.

My above thoughts may end up demanding more time (than they are able or willing to offer) and input from Secunia Official, to monitor and assess the accuracy of the scoring, and the need to keep some threads open and running, for longer time periods than may be deemed normal, whereas some others can be terminated quite quickly.

I consider that if too many of the threads are too quickly closed, thus limiting the number of open threads where input can still be beneficial, this can only be to the detriment of the collective pool of knowledge - notwithstanding the occasional multi reply (dare I say, "chit-chat") thread that rambles on into three-figure reply totals; which Secunia Official have said in the past, is (was?) not forbidden. I also hold this view, as often there were still useful points to be found. Normally most members can soon see which ones these are, and choose for themselves if they want to invest time and effort in following them.

Well done Secunia in offering this free and beneficial service to us all.

With regards,

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+23
thedillpickl RE: New Forum Features
Contributor 16th Mar, 2010 03:30
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Hi All;

Sorry if you had to click a [+] to see this. :)

Two quick points;

1) Secunia has a business to run. They are dealing with IT executives around the world. To present a professional image is a necessity.

2) The paid side of the Secunia website, the "Customer Area", gave access to these IT managers. The 'Pros' are now making use of the forum more and more. It is understandable that Secunia has to police the forum.

Two quick observations;

1) The thing that made this forum unique (for myself, at least) was that anyone could & usually would try to help. Some with better success than others, but
most always with the best of intentions. Unlike other 'Help me!' forums that are full of stuffy, pretentious know-it-alls. That time may now be over.

2) It does not matter if a person knows how to solve a problem, if he/she cannot relate the solution to the one requesting help. If some 'chat' is needed to calm frayed nerves, so what? I do realize that occasionally I over indulge. Other times I have resolved the problem with two or three short posts (you may have missed those).

To close, let me say that PSI is very good at what it is meant to do. Thanks Secunia for making it available to all private users, and for free. Thanks also to helpers and acquaintances, your input has both amused & informed.

Sincerely;

Frederick L. Stogsdill

p.s. One last shot. If you don't like what's in a thread, unsubscribe.

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+5
tech2gecko RE: New Forum Features
Member 17th Mar, 2010 19:19
Score: 7
User Since: 1st Feb 2008
System Score: 84%
On the whole, NICE WORK!
Many of these changes offer a better forum experience, however I wonder about the following as useful threads can be closed before the true or correct answer is given.

REGARDING > Accept answer:
The user who created a forum threads can select a posted reply as an accepted answer. The result would be that the forum thread will be marked as locked/resolved and the author of the selected reply will have their ranking increased by 5 votes.

--
If it ain't broke, tweak it some more
Was this reply relevant?
+1
thedillpickl RE: New Forum Features
Contributor 18th Mar, 2010 01:34
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Last edited on 18th Mar, 2010 01:37
I agree with tech2gecko.

The "Accept Answer" option is meant to recognize the answer that 'worked' for the originator of the thread. This does not mean the answer worked for all involved in the discussion. Those persons would be required to start a new thread to resolve their own problem. Whether the helper(s) involved in the original thread would find/respond to the new thread(s) is not known. If not, the person still needing help would have to start from scratch.

Eventually persons who keep coming to the forum for help, will figure this out. Instead of searching for a thread that may have already answered their problem, they will just start a new one. This has been a source of confusion in the past and has the possibility of getting worse.

Regarding the '5 votes', if more than one helper had useful input, how is that handled? It is not. One gets the 'gold star', the others leave with a warm feeling. :( Competing for votes is not good for a team environment. A solution might be allowing more than one accepted answer.

Regards;

Fred

p.s. like your signature :)

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+2
tech2gecko RE: New Forum Features
Member 18th Mar, 2010 03:22
Score: 7
User Since: 1st Feb 2008
System Score: 84%
Thanks for expanding on my point Fred. Case in point; I am looking for a solution to a current Skype issue but as the only existing/relevant thread has been locked I will need to start another.

--
If it ain't broke, tweak it some more
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 18th Mar, 2010 05:41
Hi Fred:& tech2 gecko. Fred, Although brief you hit the hammer precisely.I
don't agree with postings becoming like games providing a prize for the winner.
I am sure that staff from Secunia have gotten a handle on posters and would have no problem choosing a moderator.Any title can be given responsibilities if the individual agrees. Even in the time I have been a member, I see the names that appear. A couple of members do stand out. Not sure if it was you Fred or another member in an earlier reply identified the type of people that will access this site. The total package is excellent, more professional it entices people to stop and review the site. The result will be increased traffic. That said, although it is a members' site it is primarily Secunia and as such I do feel your responsibility
should indeed be choosing the panel members for upgrade status.This would provide a healthier learning environment
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 18th Mar, 2010 05:41
Hi Fred:& tech2 gecko. Fred, Although brief you hit the hammer precisely.I
don't agree with postings becoming like games providing a prize for the winner.
I am sure that staff from Secunia have gotten a handle on posters and would have no problem choosing a moderator.Any title can be given responsibilities if the individual agrees. Even in the time I have been a member, I see the names that appear. A couple of members do stand out. Not sure if it was you Fred or another member in an earlier reply identified the type of people that will access this site. The total package is excellent, more professional it entices people to stop and review the site. The result will be increased traffic. That said, although it is a members' site it is primarily Secunia and as such I do feel your responsibility
should indeed be choosing the panel members for upgrade status.This would provide a healthier learning environment
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 18th Mar, 2010 05:49
Don't see an edit button>so as I meant to add,relevancy for the poster can remain and rated. The info would be only to permit a reader to peruse the site and read the higher scores as time permits.When used for further reasons, will only create a negative environment. Now back to my work. Nite all.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
bjm__ RE: New Forum Features
Member 18th Mar, 2010 17:27
Score: 64
User Since: 9th Mar 2009
Last edited on 18th Mar, 2010 17:28
The relevancy scoring may have some purpose...?
I would like to see the Forums paging aspect ratio changed to fill the screen width as opposed to fill the screen length. My monitor has a 16:9 aspect ratio. The Forum paging should update to current monitor standards. IMO
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+