Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: youtube videos often stops

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as resolved.
akuigla youtube videos often stops
Member 11th Mar, 2010 15:25
Ranking: 0
User Since: 24th Mar, 2009
System Score: N/A
Since a couple months ago I have problem vatching youtube streaming videos.First I uninstalled Adobe flash 9 and downloaded Adobe flash 10,folowed secunia advice.No change.Then I downloaded Windows wista service optimizer and optimize sesvices for better performance.Things were better one day and then the same problem.Finally,I installed usb stick for readyboost,but no result.
My pc is Dell inspiron 1521 w.amd 1,9gH proc.speed,1g ram,100 g hard drive.
Dont know why videos on youtube and other video sites stops often.
Tried also to set services back to default level.
My pc is w.vista home premium and IE8
Antivirus is AVG free
Firewall is Zone alarm(disabled buit in firewall);problems started near or around time wnen I disabled built in firewall and installed Zone alarm
Also I have Spyware blaster
Tried also to increase pagefile-no result
Any help will be greatly appreciated,
Aku

Post "RE: youtube videos often stops" has been selected as an answer.
M.Hansen RE: youtube videos often stops
Secunia Official 11th Mar, 2010 15:51
Score: 188
User Since: 26th Jan 2009
Does the video load 100% and then stops playing or does the loading (buffering)?

akuigla RE: youtube videos often stops
Member 11th Mar, 2010 16:38
Score: 0
User Since: 24th Mar 2009
The video doesnt load,it starts to play after about two min waiting and than stops for about another min..This is the rhytm:playing 10 sec,waiting another 2 min.(during the waiting period does not load).And so on.I tried to press stop with hope that will load and afterwards play.But no avail.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: youtube videos often stops
Dedicated Contributor 11th Mar, 2010 19:19
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
I had a similar problem, and posted a thread last week:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/366...

My OS is XP and not Vista - I dont know what differences this may make.
Also, my problem was not so rhythmic.

There is a lot of useful information, in the above thread, relating to clearing out caches (especially Java cache)

I was also recommended to use Smart Ram (from Advanced System Care) - which I am guessing is similar to ready boost.

I also attributed the problem partly down to Flash (but have up to date installed), but can not be certain.

With Task Manager opened, the small CPU icon in taskbar tray (bottom right), showed high to maximum usage as the video started to jerk and freeze. By closing unwanted programs can help reduce CPU use.

My problem is not completely resolved, but where possible - if the option is there - I download to Real player, and play from there - with better (not perfect) results.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: youtube videos often stops
Dedicated Contributor 11th Mar, 2010 21:26
Score: 1205
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
Last edited on 12th Mar, 2010 00:19
1 GB RAM is a bit low for Vista. You should be able to upgrade to 2 GB for less than £20. (£40 if you have to replace what is already in. You may be able to get second hand on EBay)

Have you tried uninstalling ZoneAlarm? The Windows Firewall is adequate, especially if you have a router with a firewall.

Check the Flash settings.
Right click a Flash window.
Select settings
Check that "Enable hardware acceleration" is checked in the Display settings (leftmost icon).

What is this Windows Vista service optimizer of which you speak?

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Mar, 2010 12:24
Thank you all for your answers
Vista services optimizer is from Smart pc utilities.Im suspecting they messed up with vista default services.Today I will check.
As for Firewall,build in firewall is inadequate.It was easily penetrated by Leak test from Steve Gibsons grc.com
According to Stev Gibson,an security guru, the only firewall that was NEWER penetrated is Zone alarm firewall.It is free.Thats why I disabled microsofts build in firewall and installed zone alarm.
How I check Flash settings?When I opened tools-manage add ons and clicked on Flash didnt find settings.Should I check thru control panel or some other way?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: youtube videos often stops
Dedicated Contributor 12th Mar, 2010 12:47
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Flash settings are not normally found directly in any programs on your computer.

As ddmarshall wrote above:

If, when playing a "You Tube" type video, you hover the mouse cursor over the playback screen and right click and then click settings from the menu, you can check and change your flash settings; each icon offers different functions.

Alternatively by clicking on the link below, will take you to the Adobe site where you can also affect your settings:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en...

Take note of what`s written under the graphics box on r.h.s. - this is not an example, but is actually what you can change yourself for flash using this web page.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 12th Mar, 2010 17:19
I did as you said and flash was already set to reccomended settings.But the link you gave me was new and usefull.Learning newer stops.By the way,what you do to make a link accessible in your message?
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability