xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: superantispyware 4. What is the deal!!!

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
SUPERAntiSpyware.com
And, this specific program:
SUPERAntiSpyware 4.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
triggerhappypappy1 superantispyware 4. What is the deal!!!
Member 19th Mar, 2010 00:31
Ranking: 0
User Since: 27th Jan, 2009
System Score: N/A
I recently contacted the vendor of this program and they reported that the security vulnerability it is a false/positive!!
And that Secunia needs to update the report to fix the problem.(or something to this effect)

So what is the real solution.!!

The update link is useless,and I am not very happy right now.
All I see is people pointing fingers at each other,meanwhile nothing is getting resolved!
Something is very wrong here and a resolution is needed.
Anyone have any Ideas?

Maurice Joyce RE: superantispyware 4. What is the deal!!!
Handling Contributor 19th Mar, 2010 00:45
Score: 11743
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
There is a recent post on this including input from the vendor. Does it answer your query?

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/373...

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3

RE: superantispyware 4. What is the deal!!!
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
TiMow RE: superantispyware 4. What is the deal!!!
Dedicated Contributor 22nd Mar, 2010 10:39
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
@1234etc.

What personal experience do you have?

When Secunia reported a vulnerability in the above product, Nick Skrepetos owner of SUPERAntiSpyware.com. took time and trouble to explain the situation, and defend his product, and this was appreciated by many (at least 8) of the members.

Here it is:

"RE: SUPERAntiSpyware Multiple Vulnerabilities
Secunia Vendor 12th Mar, 2010 01:41
Score: 8
User Since: 12th Mar 2010
Last edited on 12th Mar, 2010 01:41 Hello all - my name is Nick Skrepetos owner of SUPERAntiSpyware.com. Luka contacted our company and has, what I believe, attempted to extort us over these "issues" - no one has EVER used any of these items to exploit ANYTHING in the real-world.

We altered our kernel drivers so that his test code would no longer have issues, and he simple re-reverse engineered the drivers to make his test "work" again - I have the original code and can provide that if necessary to show this fact.

NONE of the functions as described above can be accessed by "any" program unless the program is authenticated with our driver - Luka indicated he would NOT post the authentication scheme which he ripped from our program - without that, no other application can access our drivers - as we did not play into the potential extortion Luka has included that code for malware authors to exploit. As such, we are altering the authentication scheme as we do often to prevent potential exploits and hacking. As such, any piece of code, including that of the Windows Kernel has and will always be reverse engineered in time.

Luka's results essentially are like saying "I put sand in the pistons of a motor and now it crashed/stopped running" - there is always a way to force ANY driver to crash from kernel mode - NONE of the items documented by Luka are real-world and have not been exploited in over 5 years of the drivers being downloaded over 30 million times.

It's unfortunate that a single user such as Luka, who likely has another agenda, are allowed to post code and hide behind the walls of the Internet - all Luka is doing is helping malware authors."

UNQUOTE

I don`t use this product, and have no axe to grind relating to it, but I think it is clear as to what is professional input and what is not.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+3
cadence yedmore RE: superantispyware 4. What is the deal!!!
Member 23rd Mar, 2010 03:55
Score: -8
User Since: 2nd Oct 2009
What's weird is I don't recall installing SuperAntiSpyware. I only now realized it was on my computer when Secunia alerted me about the vulnerability. I have Avast Anti spyware and I was going to uninstall the SASW but its not in my Programs and Features file.
Anyone know how I can uninstall it and in-activate for now so it doesn't interfere with my Avast program?
It didn't put an Icon on my desktop either. I do not trust any program that hides itself from view.

Thanks for any help.
Dave
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: superantispyware 4. What is the deal!!!
Contributor 23rd Mar, 2010 04:54
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi Dave;

I personally like Revo Uninstaller. Others have their favorites to be sure.

You can read an unbiased review of uninstall utilities by Gizmo at: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-program-...

Regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: superantispyware 4. What is the deal!!!
Member 23rd Mar, 2010 08:56
Hi,

The PSI always shows which file it's detecting. By clicking the "+" button next to a program entry, you can see the "installation path" which is the path to the file the PSI is detecting. Please not that removing just the file being detected does not mean the program is gone (though it is likely broken), just that the file we look for is no more.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: superantispyware 4. What is the deal!!!
Dedicated Contributor 23rd Mar, 2010 10:42
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
This thread is case in point, regarding the "dangers" of closing / locking threads too soon.

This was a secondary thread running concurrently with a similar one, and M.J. had already pointed the originator of this one in the direction of the other one - so to all intents and purposes it was dead and slipping quietly down the list.

Until yesterday, when a negative post was tagged onto it; whilst at the same time the same poster was recommending another anti-virus product on another thread, which fortunately was soon removed by Secunia Official as possible spam.

But by bringing it back to the top of the list has prompted at least one other member to report a similar issue and seek advice - followed by 2 further replies - one from Secunia Official, which could then go on to help others (possibly).

Other threads also from time to time re-appear from the past -e.g.:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/359...

I realise that Secunia Official would prefer that a new thread is created, rather than tagging on the the end of old ones, but, unfortunately, this is not always the reality.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: superantispyware 4. What is the deal!!!
Member 24th Mar, 2010 09:11
Last edited on 24th Mar, 2010 09:12
on 23rd Mar, 2010 10:42, TiMow wrote:

I realise that Secunia Official would prefer that a new thread is created, rather than tagging on the the end of old ones, but, unfortunately, this is not always the reality.

Hi,

That's actually exactly the problem we were hoping to solve with giving users the power to lock their own threads. The thread should focus on the original poster, and anyone who wasn't helped by the solution chosen it that thread should create a new one.

Of course it's not always the case, but changing what we have, we hope to move closer to the solution. If you have any alternative suggestions, feel free to let us know.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability