xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: how can I get rid of old programs?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
glassmaster how can I get rid of old programs?
Member 19th Mar, 2010 19:48
Ranking: 0
User Since: 19th Mar, 2010
System Score: N/A
hey all, I have the free version. Just did a scan and in Advanced it says I have 15 insecure programs. When I check the version number (like in Chrome, or Adobe) it's shows the latest and correct versions.

How do I stop Secunia from reporting old versions of the patched software?
Thanks in advance--

TiMow RE: how can I get rid of old programs?
Dedicated Contributor 19th Mar, 2010 20:25
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Hi, glassmaster

I have "lifted" 2 replies I have previously given relating to the 2 examples of Adobe and Chrome. I haven`t edited them, but the content should be applicable.

To clear all of your insecurities, will require a little time and effort, but you should do it - I started with 17 problems and was able to eliminate them all.

Any that you are uncertain about I suggest you use the search box at the top of the forum page (or programs heading on left of forum page and search by vendor).

Quote:

For flash:

The latest versions are:

Adobe Flash Player 10.x ..... 10.0.45.2 (ActiveX), for IE, and 10.0.45.2 (NPAPI) for other browsers (eg Firefox).

It may be, that even if you have the latests version, there are still parts of the old version(s) remaining. You must uninstall Flash every time before you update, using an Adobe uninstall download.

It is probably best to start again. Download and run Adobe uninstall Flash from here:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Re-boot and re-scan PSI to ensure nothing of flash remains.

Download and install latest version:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

You may have to install the latest version 2x. Once using IE, and once using another browser (if you use multiple browsers).

Re-boot and re-scan PSI one more time.

-------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------

When Chrome is updated, a new file is created, still leaving the old insecure file for PSI to find and report. The latest Chrome is 4.1.249.1036, with previous version being 4.0.249.89.

Under the Insecure tab, you should click on "[+]" on left side to expand (you can also do this under Patched tab).

This will show Toolbox icons - click on Open Folder to take you to the location of the old Chrome file.

Click to highlight the old version, right click, then delete.

Now re-boot and re-scan PSI.

Unquote.

Good luck

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Kestutis.Snieska RE: how can I get rid of old programs?
Member 19th Mar, 2010 21:40
Score: 0
User Since: 4th Oct 2009
If You find after update that the Adobe flash did not get updated it is becouse the PSI itself uses flash and the system does not allow to remove a dll that is in use. Every time You need to update Adobe Flash/AIR/Shockwave... it is best to turn off the PSI (not only tray it, but fully turn off), do UnInstall and then install a fresh version... This Way there will be no need to manually erase old .dll files, which are vulnerable :-).

Grace!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Kestutis.Snieska RE: how can I get rid of old programs?
Member 19th Mar, 2010 21:41
User Since: 4th Oct 2009
As for Chrome, It happens that Crome updater does not remove old vulnerable libraries too... it is best to turn the Crome off, uninstall it and then install freshly :)... Good Luck.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
glsmas12 RE: how can I get rid of old programs?
Member 20th Mar, 2010 01:09
User Since: 20th Mar 2010
Thx for the replies. i took all suggestions and was able to get all programs updated. took a while, but it was worth it.

One thing I did that got rid of a lot of them was delete the windows.old file using Disk Cleanup tool. I also freed up a lot of disk space.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability