Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Was this reply relevant?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as resolved.
thedillpickl Was this reply relevant?
Contributor 20th Mar, 2010 20:32
Ranking: 376
User Since: 3rd May, 2009
System Score: 100%
Welcome;

The purpose of this discussion is to make suggestions to Secunia and create a dialog amongst member of this forum in regard to:

1) The use/misuse of the 'thumbs up' and 'thumbs down'.

2) The positive/negative effect of the 'score' that is kept.

3) Anything related to this topic.

Please keep in mind the idea is to improve this system.

Thank you;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis

Post "RE: Was this reply relevant?" has been selected as an answer.
thedillpickl RE: Was this reply relevant?
Contributor 20th Mar, 2010 20:38
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Hi All;

I'll start off by expressing some concerns of mine. The first being misuse of voting for replies. Example: If I don't like your attitude, I can vote no whether the reply was relevant or not. If your my buddy, I always vote yes even if you're off topic. I hope you can see the possiblity of abuse. When a person is 'promoted' they get more votes. So if I always vote for you and you always vote for me, we will get there faster. Then when we get more votes we can vote down someone we don't agree with and get them 'unpromoted' so they don't have as many votes as we do. This is just one scenario, of course, but quite plausable.

I would like to know if Secunia has a way of tracking votes per individual. If they would limit the votes either negitive or positve, say on a monthly basis, it would help prevent someone from simply skimming the threads to vote for one particular person. If you knew you had only 100 votes (as an example) for the month you would be more deliberate in their use.

Also, the "Accepted Answer" bonus needs to be brought up. Info is already posted, on http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/372... tech2gecko on 17th Mar, 2010 19:19 brings the subject up. MaritimeRider and myself add input.

Do we want a novice user ending a thread when others are being helped (on the same topic)? I think this would frustrate new & old timers alike. It might cause people to simply start a new thread when one or more already exist.

The creator could 'accept' an answer without locking the thread.

What if two helpers have useful input, who will get the five votes?

Regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1
mogs RE: Was this reply relevant?
Expert Contributor 20th Mar, 2010 21:53
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Last edited on 20th Mar, 2010 22:56
Evening Fred.
I think I'm just gonna reply when I feel I've got some thing to contribute... ( the best I can hope for is unchangeable allies ?!)... there's always gonna be shifts in "friends tools and instruments and politics ".....but basically maintaining the 100% score is what it's all about ? New users aren't always novices.....some read more than others. Some issues are repetitive and the best replies were much earlier ? A "sticky" library might be an improvement ?
Best wishes

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Contributor 20th Mar, 2010 23:51
Hi Mogs;

You've lost your "i".

Thanks for posting, your input is always relevant to me. :)

The point of this discussion (I hope) is to help keep the politics out and make us all allies. No group this vast and divergent will see eye to eye on every subject. It would be a shame to reduce the forum to a contest to see who 'wins' the highest score.

I should rephrase my earlier comment. I mean to say "novices to this forum", I did not mean to imply that new members were novice computer users. There have been several 'new' people that have been quite brilliant.

Yours;

Fred

p.s. If you want to talk sometime, start a thread in "Open Discussions". I will look for you.

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Was this reply relevant?
Expert Contributor 21st Mar, 2010 00:51
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Evening Fred.
Generally, I have to say I understand your concerns Fred. At the moment, it seems the issue of scoring has introduced an element of contention that wasn't present before. It might have been better if Secunia had just chosen those considered by itself to be , lets say, a one to five star helper.....loyalty; length of voluntary service as well as valid contributions may be vital ingredients, as ranked by themselves............it might contribute to the quality of the forum to preserve the better replies........the most popular may have strayed ?!Best wishes.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Was this reply relevant?
Member 22nd Mar, 2010 09:53
Hi,

The votes are intended to represent the user's opinions, not those of Secunia. There is, of course, potential for abuse, but the system is mainly intended to help users find solutions when searching our forum. Getting promotions, in it self, does not accomplish anything, it only shows people like/dislike your answers. There are, of course, unfair votes, but the alternative (to limit votes) would remove some of the impact of the system.

Naturally, we do monitor the forum, and the use (and misuse) of the voting feature. If anyone sees what they would consider to be abuse, please contact us at support@secunia.com, and we'll investigate the claims.

(unknown source)

Do we want a novice user ending a thread when others are being helped (on the same topic)? I think this would frustrate new & old timers alike. It might cause people to simply start a new thread when one or more already exist.

We do prefer that you create a new thread, after trying the solution accepted in a old thread. If the solution that worked for one person doesn't work for another, it's likely not the same issue, and piggy-backing on threads makes it hard to keep track of all open problems.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 22nd Mar, 2010 13:39
Hi Emil;

Thank you for posting.

This thread was started not to complain, but to expand on a discussion started on the "New Forum Features" thread (link above).

The two concerns stated were:

1) If more than one person were receiving help on the same thread, the creator could 'end' the discussion of the problem. (This is not the ideal situation, but often happens.) Others seeking help would come back to find the thread locked and would be confused as to what to do. Or, would not 'connect' with those originally helping them and would have to start from scratch.

2) That a contest for points would not create a healthy 'team' environment, where we work together for the common good of all.

I'm sure that larger minds have thought this through before Secunia adopted the plan. Also, I agree that sometimes the long threads are confusing, the trick is to have a balance.

Regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Contributor 27th Mar, 2010 05:48
To All;

There seems to be nothing to discuss. I do appreciate the comments that were posted here.

Thanks;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+