Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: XP SP3 (PSI) Lock up

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
SirMax XP SP3 (PSI) Lock up
Member 20th Mar, 2010 20:46
Ranking: 0
User Since: 18th Jul, 2009
System Score: N/A
I just installed PSI to try it out and it always lags when there is a change to the system. The main window is (Not Responding) it seems to always happen, ex: when I make a ignore rule or remove & install some app.
I have removed PSI and reinstalled it as well as rebooted, it remains to show the same results. slow and unresponsive, is there some way to fix this?

My box is XP sp3 amd 64 x2 w/3gig of ram

mogs RE: XP SP3 (PSI) Lock up
Expert Contributor 20th Mar, 2010 21:34
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
I've noticed some similar behaviour from time to time.....but since having installed Auslogics Screensaver Defrag.....much less often. I've tended to assume that keeping things "tidy" has meant Secunia, when scanning, isn't faced with too much trouble in finding the relevant files. As the defragging is carried out whenever the screen is idle......at least once a day (!): the disc is kept at optimum and in order.
This is just an observation.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
SirMax RE: XP SP3 (PSI) Lock up
Member 20th Mar, 2010 21:46
Score: 0
User Since: 18th Jul 2009
It's not a frag problem, I keep my multi drives on auto using
IObits Advanced SystemCare PRO.
I really would like to use the PSI but as it stands now, I had to remove it until I find a way for it to run without it lagging my box so bad.

Thank you for your reply..
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: XP SP3 (PSI) Lock up
Expert Contributor 20th Mar, 2010 22:09
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Last edited on 20th Mar, 2010 22:44
I can't help but wonder why there's not more input from the States on here sometimes.....maybe it's a geographical issue (?).....tho' at least a couple of members "over there" seem to be happy enough. I've read some threads before 'bout Secunia being "heavy"....it must be about getting the balance right ? I hope someone will make further suggestions for you.
Having said that...I've just read a post of thedillpickl's (Fred), entitled "faster scan", in the PSI section, some fifteen hours ago, that may not have caught your attention. You may find it helpful. Regards

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: XP SP3 (PSI) Lock up
Contributor 21st Mar, 2010 00:24
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Hi SirMax;

Keep in mind that PSI takes a couple of seconds to find out you've removed/added a program, etc. A scan will significantly slow your system as it ties up both the internet connection and hard drive(s).

When you say, "The main window is (Not Responding)..." do you mean that the PSI Interface is not responding as expected or that it freezes? What exactly happens?

When you use the terms, "lags" & "slow and unresponsive" do you mean that PSI takes longer than expected but still completes normally?

I have heard of this before, will have to do a little research to figure this out. If they fixed this once...

Also might need to know if XP is 64 or 32 bit.

Thanks;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Mar, 2010 00:41
"The main window is (Not Responding)"
That is what it shows in it's title box.
As for it lagging and being slow well to me it is just that, if it didn't lag other programs running then I wouldn't mind so much but it does. As for what I would expect would be to have a program run without causing problems with my system in general ;-)

This is being tested on the 32bit side.

-Max

Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: XP SP3 (PSI) Lock up
Contributor 21st Mar, 2010 00:51
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
That is odd. I've not heard of PSI interfering with other programs operation unless 'stuck' in a scan loop (bug was fixed by Secunia). Will check back when I find something.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: XP SP3 (PSI) Lock up
Member 22nd Mar, 2010 09:22
Hi,

If you have a slow harddrive, or scanning with the PSI is otherwise resource-intensive for you, you may want to consider disabling the "Program Monitoring" feature from the setting tab.
Program monitoring tries, in real time, to establish which patches you've installed, which software you've removed, etc. Removing it only means you will have to commit a rescan manually.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

thedillpickl

RE: XP SP3 (PSI) Lock up
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Member 22nd Mar, 2010 18:21
Last edited on 22nd Mar, 2010 18:23
My 4 drives are rather old and well over used! lol but over all they are handling rather well for all of the many things I require them to do.

I switched over to my Windows server 2008 x64 to test psi on. It shows the same results with the window not responding, it does seem to run better over all even tho it is more secure then my XP 32bit side. I may later try it on my XP 64bit side just to see for myself how it handles on that on. Is the a Linux version of this? ;-)

I did notice a difference with the "Secunia System Score"
Default side "Simple" gave me a 100% and on the Advance side it gave 87%.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: XP SP3 (PSI) Lock up
Member 23rd Mar, 2010 08:46
Hi,
Did disabling program monitoring help?

The Simple interface only shows programs we've verified are "easy to patch", in that it takes little effort from the user to update them. This is to help even less tech-savy users keep their system as patched as possible, but your overall level of security much improves if you the Advanced interface.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability