Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Secunia`s Global Community

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
TiMow Secunia`s Global Community
Dedicated Contributor 22nd Mar, 2010 15:08
Ranking: 737
User Since: 26th Jun, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 22nd Mar, 2010 15:30

Hello All

It is disappointing to note that many PSI users, don`t make the effort to create a profile, before posting a question or reply here on the forum - see l.h.s, "My Profile"; and not to be confused, and separate from, Secunia Profile tab on PSI page.

Many, recently, seem to come to the forum as new members with a problem, get the required information (usually), and then disappear without often acknowledging their problem has been resolved. This in itself isn`t a big deal as this is partly the idea of a (this) forum, in my opinion.

But what is important, is that they take a moment to fill out their profile giving their country location - this is helpful (in my case), in determining the timing of replies and counter-replies from the poster, depending on the time of day in their part of the world.

Whilst accepting that it is not a 9-5, day and night world for everyone, it is pointless being available for a possible response, when the person concerned could be at work or asleep in bed. A question and answer session on a thread can last several days, without the issue being fully addressed.

This is just a preamble for my main point, directed at Secunia:

For those who have taken the time to give their location, is there any key to the 2, or sometimes 3, letter code for their country of origin?; - beneficial to know for the reasons as outlined above.

I am sure you probably use internationally recognised conventions, but some of them are just beyond guessing.

I thought CA might be Canada and then saw CD and CN (is this China?), because CH, where I`m at, isn`t - its Switzerland. Another respondent is from LB - is this Libya, Liberia or someplace else?

(LB, CA reminds me of Long Beach, California, which in wintertime gives me a warm, sunny, nostalgic glow).

I also notice that the locations are less specific, now, as they were previously - less or no cities to choose from - so for all those who wish to maintain their anonymity, it is still possible.

Finally, Secunia, is the system score checkbox option no longer available? If at some point I didn`t want to display my score, I see no box to uncheck; likewise new(ish) members seem always to show N/A for their system score %age.

Regards

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.

Anthony Wells RE: Secunia`s Global Community
Expert Contributor 22nd Mar, 2010 15:48
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello TiMow ,

Here is a standard list of "two" digit codes - I'm guessing used for IT puposes - (Google found it :)) :-

http://www.theodora.com/country_digraphs.html

Today I'm 100% FR !!

Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
TiMow RE: Secunia`s Global Community
Dedicated Contributor 22nd Mar, 2010 16:04
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 22nd Mar, 2010 18:49
Hi A.W.

You always know where to look - got to be worth a thumb´s up.

Have you been on a bit of a "jolly"? - You´ve been conspicuous by your absence.

Regards

TiMow

EDIT: On the negative side of things, Anthony, I´ve just noticed that your profile info is amiss.

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Secunia`s Global Community
Expert Contributor 22nd Mar, 2010 21:33
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi TiMow ,

Don't be negative , "Honi soit qui mal y pense" .

In fact , "Liberté , égalité , fraternité" :)

Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Secunia`s Global Community
Contributor 23rd Mar, 2010 02:27
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 23rd Mar, 2010 02:38
Hi TiMow;

It uses up too many bytes of hard drive space to spell out Switzerland.

But seriously, I don't believe it's that big of a deal to wait a day or even longer between replies, if there is not an imminent danger of vulnerability and both parties are agreeable. This is only my opinion.

On the other hand, it would be nice to know when they would be available to reply. Knowing what country they're from (with out keeping Ant's chart in bookmark/favorites) would be a plus.

Fred

p.s. found this for Ant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ehI8gIHZwM

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Secunia`s Global Community
Contributor 24th Mar, 2010 02:44
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Hi TiMow;

Had a thought today (it hurt too). If you change the signature line in "My Profile" or any of the stuff in the data box on the left of your posts changes, it changes everywhere on the forum!

If Secunia put a 'I will be back' box in this "Reply" page or in the "Logout" box, anyone would know when to expect a reply from a particular person.

Don't know if this sounds good to you. As this issue is 'your baby', I'll let you decide if this is something to send to Secunia's attention.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Secunia`s Global Community
Expert Contributor 24th Mar, 2010 08:58
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Morning !
Anonymity versus ( or side by side with), more identity? Is the 100% score getting lost ?! One city may be just as corrupt as another ?! What we really need is an IM facility within the Secunia forum ? Would it help maintain our own and Secunia's integrity ? Is it possible?
Just a couple of thoughts....we're not encouraging strange bedfellows ? Some hands don't do any dishes ?! Should we foster a healthy team spirit?! I don't do theories on relativity ?! Best wishes.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Secunia`s Global Community
Member 24th Mar, 2010 09:40
on 24th Mar, 2010 02:44, thedillpickl wrote:

If Secunia put a 'I will be back' box in this "Reply" page or in the "Logout" box, anyone would know when to expect a reply from a particular person.

Hi Fred,
I've forwarded the suggestion to our developers (not to ignore you TiMow), and it will be considered internally. If there are any other suggestions for improvements/features, feel free to let us know.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer