Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Just Installed Secunia PSI & Have This One Unresolved Issue

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 6.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
Dr_Zoidberg56 Just Installed Secunia PSI & Have This One Unresolved Issue
Member 23rd Mar, 2010 04:36
Ranking: 0
User Since: 21st Mar, 2010
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 23rd Mar, 2010 04:37

Hello;

I am a newbie here with moderate computer skills. After taking care of several issues following the installation of PSI, I find myself with this one remaining: Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 6.x 6.20.1076.0. The installation path is C:\found.000\dir0001.chk\cf8ec753e88561d2ddb53e183 dc05c3e\msxml6.dll

To be perfectly frank, my computer knowledge is such that I haven't a clue as to how to proceed from here and in searching other posts on this subject either I missed a previously posted solution, in which case I apologize, or this is just a different variation.

I've checked Microsoft's updates, as well as running the automatic updater and can't find a solution that works. Of course, I could be daft and missing it entirely.

If one of you more knowledgeable folk out there would be so kind as well as patient and assist me in sorting this out, I would be very grateful.

Gerry

Post "RE: Just Installed Secunia PSI & Have This One Unresolved Issue" has been selected as an answer.
thedillpickl RE: Just Installed Secunia PSI & Have This One Unresolved Issue
Contributor 23rd Mar, 2010 06:05
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 23rd Mar, 2010 06:06
Hi Gerry;

This has come up before. Secunia has provided very useful information to get started with.

=======
If not already, please run PSI in Advanced Mode.

To do this click on the PSI icon, in the system tray, to open the interface. In the top right corner, is "SIMPLE" blue in color and "ADVANCED" black? If not, click on "ADVANCED".

Click on the "Insecure" tab, Click on the [+] to the left of the program in question. (See *Note below)

In the "Toolbox" click on the "Technical details" icon. Listed under "Version Detected:" it shows the old version PSI is reporting. The "Installation Path" is where PSI is finding the old stuff.

To go there, click on the "Open Folder" icon. This will open the folder where the old file(s) is(are).
=======

*Note: To follow Secunia's suggestions, read information in the box titled, "Extra Information / Known Issues..." In the stuff you just opened up by clicking the [+] . If it doesn't help you to solve the problem, or if you resolve it, please post here with the results..

To get further input from other 'helpers', please post the following:

1) Version of insecure program.
2) Installation path (I know you already did, please do again).
3) OS being used, including Service Pack (if any) & 32 or 64 bit.

Regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Maurice Joyce RE: Just Installed Secunia PSI & Have This One Unresolved Issue
Handling Contributor 23rd Mar, 2010 11:23
Score: 11711
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
The found.xxx files are generated by Scandisk and Chkdsk when there has been a file system corruption. Usually they can be safely deleted.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+5
Dr_Zoidberg56 RE: Just Installed Secunia PSI & Have This One Unresolved Issue
Member 23rd Mar, 2010 22:57
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Mar 2010
thedillpickl:

Thank you for you assistance and suggestions. I was operating in the advanced mode. I clicked on the suggested solution which opened Microsoft's auto-update, which found no critical up-dates nor any other update related to the program/issue Secunia had alerted upon.

Maurice Joyce

Thank you also for your assistance and suggestions. I did as you advised and deleted the questionable file. I did have a problem last New Years Eve where several system files somehow became corrupted resulting in the BSOD. I don't recall the particular files but I managed to reboot into the safe mode and get things back to normal finding a restore point that actually worked. I imagine if I hadn't give Secunia a try, I'd still be blissfully ignorant of the problem.

I ran a new Secunia scan and all is as it should be and everything seems to be working.

I appreciate both of your assistance in sorting this out.

Gerry
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Just Installed Secunia PSI & Have This One Unresolved Issue
Contributor 24th Mar, 2010 02:24
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
@ Gerry, glad problem is resolved. :)

@Maurice, thanks, I just learned something new!

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Just Installed Secunia PSI & Have This One Unresolved Issue
Member 24th Mar, 2010 09:25
Hi Dr. Zoidberg,

If a post answers your question, you can click the "accept" button next to the post you feel helped you, to lock this thread, and award the poster in question 5 points.

hope this helps, and please give Bender my regards.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability