Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: windows mail program

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
finishnow windows mail program
Member 24th Mar, 2010 05:24
Ranking: 0
User Since: 26th Jun, 2008
System Score: N/A
i would like to download andinstall kb941090 for my windows mail program. i am running windows vista home basic 32 bit operating system. i would like to do this without having to go thru WGA ( windows genuine advantage) verification. i understand many people have had problems with WGA.

when the patch is installed i will no longer have mail stuck in my send box and outbox.

This user no longer exists RE: windows mail program
Member 24th Mar, 2010 09:29
Hi,

the "WGA" update is optional, and you should be able to de-select it when upgrading from Windows/Microsoft update. Some updates take several rounds to finish, though, so the proper procedure is to:

Go to Windows/Microsoft update, download all available updates (deselect WGA if you don't want it), rescan. If this rescan still shows you as insecure, reboot, try Windows/MS update again, and rescan. Repeat until the PSI either shows no threats, or you aren't offered any updates.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
finishnow RE: windows mail program
Member 26th Mar, 2010 02:18
Score: 0
User Since: 26th Jun 2008
i navigated to www.microsoft.com/kb/941090 to download patch for windows mail program. instructions on site said i had to download active x control for WGA (windows genuine advantage) validation test and run this test before i would be permitted to download this patch.
i have heard that many validlly installed copies of windows vista have failed this test. i am loathe to run this test and would like to obtain kb941090 without running this test.
i have tried scanning for updates using windows update but have not been able to receive this update.
i am not currently using windows mail because w/o this patch sent mail gets stuck in my outbox. microsoft web site states all windows vista users must install patch kb941090 to fix this problem.
n.b. the PSI scan did not flag windows mail as a security problem.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: windows mail program
Member 26th Mar, 2010 04:55
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Last edited on 26th Mar, 2010 05:20
Have you read up on the patch fix.:http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=941090 I use windows mail on my lap top. I do not have the patch that you specify and have had no problems. You need to advise more about your system. Do you have service pack 2? but you do receive windows updates from Microsoft correct. It may already be incorporated in another download. I would check my settings and see if that corrects the problem. I am not sure as why you do not want to go threw the validation process. If you get your updates you must have a legal system. Uninstall mail and go with another independent mail program . I personally have had no such problem with WGA.
If you know command prompt run a scan file check,then CHKDSK,then if necessary run a CHKDSK /F I really believe the problem is internal to your p.c.

here is some more info:http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/03/02/bypass-wi...

--
Gone to Linux permanetly

Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+