Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: solution atempted

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
D.R.Contracting solution atempted
Member 30th Mar, 2010 16:54
Ranking: 0
User Since: 30th Mar, 2010
System Score: N/A
Downloaded the solution for this threat with a Firefox download. Then opened the file. I thought that was enough. I still get the warning. Know Why Anyone Anyone. Doug, P.S. I've scanned after

TiMow RE: solution atempted
Dedicated Contributor 30th Mar, 2010 17:20
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
In the absence of precise information, regarding exactly what program / application you have downloaded the solution for, I can only recommend that you do a system re-boot and re-scan PSI.

This is often required for the update to be correctly installed and recognised by PSI.

If this doesn't solve your problem, then you need to reply with more detailed information, pertaining to the exact update (including version number), you are trying to install; you Windows OS, and what computer you have.

One final thing:- you should use PSI in Advanced mode, by clicking in top right of PSI page, and if required, report back under which tab the problem shows.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
D.R.Contracting RE: solution atempted
Member 31st Mar, 2010 02:52
Score: 0
User Since: 30th Mar 2010
The solution was for Adobe Flash Player 9.x. The solution prompt was the same I've used before on the secure you're computer page. The advanced tab gave me quite the warning about me not being smart enough to attempt it's use. Valid?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 31st Mar, 2010 08:20
Last edited on 31st Mar, 2010 08:32
Hi Doug

Don't worry about the box that appears when switching to Advanced - just check OK. There is more valuable information to be found here - which is often requested, by others, in order to help you solve your problems.

When updating flash, elements of the old, insecure version are left behind - normally .ocx file(s) - for PSI to find and report.

I will cut and paste a solution to solve this issue:

Quote:

The latest versions are:

Adobe Flash Player 10.x ..... 10.0.45.2 (ActiveX), for IE, and 10.0.45.2 (NPAPI) for other browsers (eg Firefox).

It may be, that even if you have the latests version, there are still parts of the old version(s) remaining. You must uninstall Flash every time before you update, using an Adobe uninstall download.

It is probably best to start again. Download and run Adobe uninstall Flash from here:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Re-boot and re-scan PSI to ensure nothing of flash remains.

Download and install latest version:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

You have to install the latest version 2x. Once using IE, and once using another browser (if you use multiple browsers).

Re-boot and re-scan PSI one more time, and hopefully this will do it.

Unquote.

One further thing to add: close all programs that use flash, before starting - this includes PSI. Right click on the tray icon (bottom right of screen) and exit here. Even if you don't use IE - PSI does - and you need flash (ActiveX) to be installed on IE.

TiMow

EDIT: Always good to give your (approx.) location when setting up a forum profile - l.h.s. of this page. Others can then gauge your time zone, and not second guess depending on the timings of your posts.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 2nd Apr, 2010 03:01
Thank you TiMow, The downloads worked perfectly in both I.E. and Firefox.
Psi now tells me to download a java business program and a Symantec update.
I do not wish to purchase Nornton antivirus and the last java download i got included a yahoo toolbar I loath yahoo..Can i just tap the ignore programs option or is that a bad idea?? I'll update to profile. I appreciate you're input ..
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 2nd Apr, 2010 10:46
Last edited on 2nd Apr, 2010 10:48
Hi again Doug

Your latest queries relate in part to business versions of programs, of which I have no experience of; but I can offer the following advice.

Firstly there has been a recent update of Java, and if you have the business version, probably this also needs to be updated, if that what PSI is telling you - just click on the download solution icon - and follow the install wizard prompts.

Surprised to hear that you got Yahoo toolbar included on your last update, though - maybe this is peculiar to the business version.

I updated Java, myself, just the other day, but can't remember if the install wizard gives the option of Custom install.

If it does, then maybe choose this, and just work your way through each stage, leaving all the recommended default settings alone, but look out for a check box for the inclusion of Yahoo (or any other nasties), which you can uncheck (if present).

I once had Ask Toolbar installed on the back of another program, and found it in Add/Remove programs, from control panel, and removed it.

If you still have Yahoo, you can too look here to remove it. Or to choose which toolbars are visible on your browser - right click on the toolbar, and tick/untick what you want to see/use.

Finally, if you don't subscribe to Norton, I'm surprised that you're getting a prompt to update Symantec - I don't use it myself and only know a little from reading others problems, here.

Have you had it installed and used it in the past, though? From what I have read, if it has been previously installed, it is apparently very difficult to remove all traces of the program, as it is spread around in various locations on your system.

PSI can only report on what it finds - so it must be finding something - and if it's reporting it as insecure, then it's a potential risk.

In the Advanced mode of PSI you can click on the [+] on l.h.s. of the listing for Symantec (under insecure or patched tab), and from the toolbox icon, click "Technical Details", to give the file path / location of this file. Copy this and post it back here.

I'm not sure if I can offer much more advice myself regarding this, though. You could also type "Symantec" in the search box at the top of the forum page to find other similar, related threads.

I hope this long winded reply has offered some guidance.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 3rd Apr, 2010 04:11
TiMow , Lengthy answers come under the heading of ,all the help i can get.
That's what i always need. The Symantec stuff is a Norton based affiliation.
I'm currently running Spybot and Microsoft Security Essentials. I'm poor and there free. I uninstalled the Symantec stuff and the businesses based Java was installed by the retailer. This Lenovo T60 used to be a business laptop. Now
refurbished. I'm going to read up in the forum about the Java experiences of others. Then trace down something not subscription based ,OH i didn't mention
the business update is for a subscription based program.
Get Java for Business JDK/JRE (v1.4.2, 5.0, and 6)
that's what it says on the webpage...... Thanks Again, Doug
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+