Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Duplications

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
JJ23 Duplications
Member 1st Apr, 2010 13:05
Ranking: 0
User Since: 3rd Sep, 2008
System Score: N/A
I've just received an "insecure program" warning on Java JRE 1.6.x/6.x

Which is fine except it reports two locations, in C:/Programs and C:/Windows

Should I do anything about this?
My first thought was to uninstall Java, but I don't know if it's one of those that automatically re-installs. I have a download javaRa.zip dated 27/3/09 but I don't know what it is.

thanks in anticipation, jj23

TiMow RE: Duplications
Dedicated Contributor 1st Apr, 2010 13:27
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 1st Apr, 2010 13:28
Hi JJ23

Java is required by your browsers and used by web pages. As far as I'm aware, you cant really live without it, and shouldn't uninstall.

I also have the same 2 as you, with the same file paths. This also is normal. For some reason both are required.

They are showing insecure because there is a new version update required - again normal procedure, when a patch is needed.

I updated yesterday to 6.0.190.4 - you (and everyone else) need to do the same.

Just click on the download solution icon on the first JRE, and it should update both - follow the download/install wizard from Sun Micro.

When it has completed both should clear from your insecure tab - also look out for the notification bubble from the tray icon.

Providing this happens, you don't need to re-boot or re-scan PSI.

As a user since 2008, I'm surprised you haven't encountered this before.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Trueno RE: Duplications
Member 1st Apr, 2010 15:43
Score: 0
User Since: 26th Jul 2009
Hi, I have the same problem as you do but with a twist. I have downloaded java for both firefox and IE but to complicate matters more, I have two listings of IE 8 that appear for insecure internet browsing. Does anyone know where IE 8 should actually be located so I can delete it (because its obvious you cant do it via add/remove)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 1st Apr, 2010 17:04
Hi Trueno

IE cannot be uninstalled from a Windows based platform. But if you have 2 versions, you should be able to delete one. Strange to read that they are both IE8.
When I updated from IE7 to IE8, it showed 2, and I deleted the old one.

Anyway, using the Advanced mode on PSI, click on the tab marked ´Patched´; scroll down to ´Microsoft Internet Explorer´and click on the [+] on its left. Here are the Toolbox icons:-

"Technical Details" gives you the installation path; or better still - "Open Folder" will take you to that location, so you can see if the 2 files are here and compare their contents to see if they're the same, and delete one if necessary.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 1st Apr, 2010 18:04
Hi TiMow,

I had already done what you suggested but what I found was this:

Local Disk C:/Difbb83e1c40b8b3e74e

I located ie8 there with all pertinent files and then

c:/Prograqmfiles/InternetExplorer/

and found ie8 there as well with all the files.

My question is which of these directories do not belong?. I am afraid if I delete one I might have a major systems crash whereas if I only delete the exe file I wont but I dont want to have the clutter leftover.

What do you think I should do?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 1st Apr, 2010 19:24
Hi Trueno

I said it was strange that you had 2x IE8.

The file path is completely unknown to me, and bears no relation to anything I have.

I cant really advise further, other than suggest that if you go to the file location of both, right click, and then click properties you may get a bit more information regarding dates created and contents of file and folders, etc.

But as to which wire you should cut - red or blue - I couldn't say.

As this is a bit more involved than a "normal" instance of the same problem, it's probably advisable to give a bit more of your system info (windows platform), in the hope that someone with more specific knowledge may help.

Unfortunately, you've come in on another thread, so you problem may not be picked up here.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
JJ23 RE: Duplications
Member 1st Apr, 2010 20:55
User Since: 3rd Sep 2008
To TiMow:

Thankyou. I did, it did, and everything's lovely!

I don't recollect seeing two instances ever before, but I guess I generally just get on with it and might well not notice.

Anyway, thank you again. jj23
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 2nd Apr, 2010 09:25
Hi JJ23

Glad all OK.

Others, more technically minded than me, would be able to tell you why there are 2 Javas - for me, its always been like that - since I've been using PSI, anyway.

I have also Java console (ext. for Firefox), which, although it didn't show as insecure, was also updated at the same time, on the back of the main update.

If you also use Ff, you should also have it - under patched tab, but "J" for Java.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
JJ23 RE: Duplications
Member 3rd Apr, 2010 16:27
User Since: 3rd Sep 2008
Hi TiMow,

I'm not sure I can stand the strain of finding out, but I have four instances of Java console: 6.0.13, .16, .17, .19

and two copies of lots of other stuff, some just two copies apparently identical, and some different versions, e.g. MS .Net Framework 1.x, 2.x, 3.x

Is this normal or should I be thinking of some serious spring cleaning?

Regards, jj23
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 3rd Apr, 2010 16:52
Hi JJ23

Just caught me checking my mail.

Re. Java console for Ff:- you only need the latest v.19 - the others can be uninstalled.

In Firefox; go to tools>add-ons>then extension icon>scroll to find each lower Java version>click to highlight>uninstall.

Do this for all old Java, except 6.0.19, then restart Ff.

Re.M$ Net Framework; I am also showing the same as you with two different version numbers for 1.x

I am not sufficiently technically qualified to say if this is normal, but I don't think it's causing any problems, if it's not. Unless anyone else thinks it's a problem, I wouldn't worry.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 3rd Apr, 2010 16:56
Hi TiMow.

I tried your suggestion and while it did speed up my browser a bit it did not help any with the installation of java. In fact I even tried to remove update 18 but could not do it due to the same error. It could not access the website! Hmmm this has me in a state of consternation and I am starting to seriously believe that its due to the ISP or governmental control of the internet here. Still, if you might have any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. I might add that now, even though I have downloaded in English when it comes time to install it is in Spanish which is contrary to what I have indicated. I have used so many third party approaches to downloading as well so its not just a PSI issue. Though the links in PSI are downloading in Spanish too whereas before they never did.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Apr, 2010 17:00
Oops sorry Ti Mow I was writing in response to another thread you wrote to me about . Still havent had my morning cup of java hahahaha. And I got a bad cold as well. This was meant for the cant update java in ecuador thread. Sorry about the mistake here folks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 3rd Apr, 2010 17:05
Last edited on 3rd Apr, 2010 17:20
@Trueno - no probs - just threw me of track a bit.

@JJ23 - The following was meant as an edit of my last reply, but after I hit Update, it didn't appear and now the edit facility seems to have disappeared - probably a system glitch. Fortunately I had it copied.

EDIT: Re. anything else that is doubled, you'll have to come back with specifics - but normally although the description may be the same, the version number is normally different, and is probably required. My rule of thumb is, that if it's not flagged as insecure, then I tend to leave alone.

EDIT 2: Secunia changed it, so that only the last reply can be edited by the author - Trueno's reply cut my edit off, and then I lost the chance to re-edit.

EDIT 3: Just had a look under my patched tab - if you hover the curser over each similar description it gives the file path/location - in most cases this is different for each similar entry, implying that the same program is needed by different applications and is therefore needed - but if you have any doubts then post back here.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Duplications
Handling Contributor 3rd Apr, 2010 17:27
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
@JJ23
What U have not stated is whether U are using a 64 or 32 Bit system. I assume 32 Bit in that U claim U have .NET 1 installed?

If U have a 64 Bit system these elements of Java should be visible in PSI:
64 Bit
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\java.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe

32 Bit
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe
C:\Windows\System32\java.exe

If U are using a 32 Bit System this is visible:

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe
C:\Windows\System32\java.exe

They are not duplicates & it is common practice for some programmes to be in two areas of the registry.The important bit is the FILE PATH - if they are different they are not duplicates.

As @TiMow has stated U can safely remove all old versions of Java.

.Net Framework is somewhat different. Again,the PATH is one important factor. Doubtful U have a duplicate as they are managed by Microsoft.

I have reproduced part of my advice on this subject below - be very very careful if U are thinking of a mass clear out!

.NET FRAMEWORK PROBLEMS
=======================

A bit of background information worth knowing before trying to fix .NET issues with Windows XP,Vista & Windows 7

1. .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 are all side-by-side versions that can be installed and uninstalled without affecting the others. This means that if you are running into an issue in .NET Framework 2.0, for example, you do not necessarily need to remove .NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1 in addition to removing 2.0.

2. .NET Framework 3.0 is an add-on that requires .NET Framework 2.0 to be present as a prerequisite. If you have .NET Framework 3.0 installed, you will not be allowed to uninstall .NET Framework 2.0 until you first uninstall .NET Framework 3.0.

3. .NET Framework 3.5 is an add-on that requires .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 and .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 to be present as prerequisites. If you have .NET Framework 3.5 installed, you will not be allowed to uninstall .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 or 2.0 SP1 until you first uninstall .NET Framework 3.5.

4. .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is an add-on that requires .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 to be present as prerequisites. If you have .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed, you will not be allowed to uninstall .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 or 2.0 SP2 until you first uninstall .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

Hope this fills in the blanks for U.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+