Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Updated - doesn't open

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Apple
And, this specific program:
Apple iTunes 9.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
goffigal Updated - doesn't open
Member 1st Apr, 2010 17:49
Ranking: 0
User Since: 9th Aug, 2009
System Score: N/A
I updated iTunes 64 bit, as instructed by Secunia. I uninstalled the older version first. It will not open for me, either by clicking on it or when I connect my iPod. Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thank you in advance

Mary

TiMow RE: Updated - doesn't open
Dedicated Contributor 1st Apr, 2010 18:24
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 1st Apr, 2010 18:26
Hi Mary

There seems to be a bit of a problem updating iTunes 64 bit - this is the 3rd thread to that effect in the last 2 days.

The poster of the following thread wrote that his upgrade was successful by not using the Secunia download solution link, but by opening iTunes and allowing it to search for updates.

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/391...

Obviously, you cant, due to your uninstall - which, unfortunately was a bit of a mistake.

The following advice is based on my OS of XP Pro, SP3 - but I'm guessing you're using Vista or W7, so I cant guarantee it's exactly the same.

But here goes:

Are you familiar with "System Restore"?

Mine is accessed either via "start">accessories>system tools>system restore; or from "Control Panel">catergory view (on left)>performance and maintenance>system restore (on left).

If you click on this, and make sure "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is checked, then procede with "Next", at the bottom.

I'm hoping that you will see a checkpoint for when you uninstalled iTunes; if you do, then make sure it's highlighted, and procede, to go back to the point before it was uninstalled.

If it's not there, then if there's another nearby checkpoint (date and time), then you can choose this. The danger is, the further back you go, the more other changes have to be redone.

e.g. I once went back 2 days and had to twice search for my daily McAfee virus scan updates, in order to re-secure my computer.

If it all works out, and iTunes is restored, then try updating from here.

But if you follow this course of action, and you're not happy with some aspect, you can always "Undo my last restoration", on the system restore.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
goffigal RE: Updated - doesn't open
Member 1st Apr, 2010 21:09
Score: 0
User Since: 9th Aug 2009
Thank you for your prompt reply. I have created various restore points, going back to the middle of Feb and iTunes can't launch because some of its files are missing! I can't spend any more time on this problem tonight because I need the PC to do some work. I'll try again tomorrow.

Thank you again for your help
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 2nd Apr, 2010 09:43
Hi again Mary

Not really sure what else to suggest.

Is it that you uninstalled iTunes, but still have a version that wont open, because some of the files may be missing?..... is this version, the new attempted download of the latest 64bit?

Maurice Joyce, a respected contributor on this forum, provided the following link, on a similar thread, for the latest iTunes 64bit version:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_itunes_64/

I think that whatever corrupt version is currently installed, will need to be removed - before or after the new download, is the question?

I don't know for sure, but I'm hoping your personal details (profile info.), is stored outside of the iTunes file tree, and wont be lost with an uninstall.

I would recommend that you continue to create restore points, before any major change is actioned - just ensure that the names you give each checkpoint is transparent enough, that you can later recall, to which action it applies.

Good luck

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Apr, 2010 14:17
I've no idea what I've done, but iTunes is still missing files. I uninstalled according to Apple guidelines, but did not have permission to uninstall Bonjour. I am the administrator, so couldn't figure that one out. I've restored the system back to 28/03 before the corrupt update, to no avail. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what Apple comes up with.

Thank you once more for your help
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 2nd Apr, 2010 15:45
Hi Mary

Just a few last thoughts.

I think you need to completely remove iTunes from your pc, and re-install - this is nothing new for you, I'm sure.

Look here: start>all programs>iTunes>about iTunes -- I copied this from there, from the software sub-heading:

"64-bit editions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 require the iTunes 9.1 64-bit installer; for more information, visit www.itunes.com/uk/download"

Sorry, if I'm stating the obvious, but in Add/Remove programs (from Control Panel), you can remove (uninstall) iTunes and Bonjour - is this where you had administrator rights problem?

Also here, if you click on each iTunes and then Bonjour, when it expands, there is a line: "Click here for support information". If you do that there is a "repair" option, and links to support.

Worth trying, if you haven't already.

If you are able to uninstall all, best to do a re-boot and download from the above .com/uk address, or filehippo link, further up.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Apr, 2010 17:18
I did as you advised, but still won't open. I think I have given up at this stage!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 3rd Apr, 2010 17:26
Hi Mary

on 2nd Apr, 2010 15:45, TiMow wrote:

Sorry, if I'm stating the obvious, but in Add/Remove programs (from Control Panel), you can remove (uninstall) iTunes and Bonjour - is this where you had administrator rights problem?

Have you tried to uninstall, as outlined above, (or just repair)?

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Apr, 2010 19:18
Last edited on 3rd Apr, 2010 19:22
I have uninstalled everything but Bonjour from Add/Remove. I don't have "permission" to do that. I am the administrator and have checked that I have full control, but obviously not where BJ is concerned.

I don't get any error messages, iTunes does not respond at all when I click to open

Funnily enough, BJ is not showing in Task Manager processes, so I can't disable it, as suggested by somebody in another thread
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 3rd Apr, 2010 19:39
Right click Start>explore>then look for Bonjour in the file tree.

Mine is located here:

C:\Program Files\Bonjour

Click to highlight, then right click then delete.

Re-boot.

Make sure all iTunes and Bonjour are gone (check in add/remove).

If all OK, then try fresh download and installation from one of the links further up.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Apr, 2010 19:51
Bonjour was in twice in Prog files , Bonjour (need permission) and Bonjour (6) which I deleted.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Apr, 2010 15:19
I seem to have solved my problem. I disabled Bonjour in msconfig>services. iTunes is a bit slow to start up, but is now synchronising with my iPod. A poster in the iTunes thread on apple.com came up with the solution. Perhaps Apple should offer him a job!

Thank you again for your help
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 4th Apr, 2010 18:57
Thanks for the update, Mary.

Glad all OK.

iTunes is always quite slow to start on my XP 32 bit; and the latest update took an age to install - I thought it had "freezed" (frozen?), and was looping at one point - but it completed after about 15 or so mins.

Unless it's specifically recommended for 64 bit, I wouldn't uninstall before the next update.

One worrying discovery is that Bonjour is such a critical stumbling block to uninstalling, and that your actions for such were denied - are you happy that you have full administrator privileges?

Normally the only programs that cant be touched are those vital for operating - and not something like Bonjour.

Anyway - all's well, that end's well.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer