Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Tapping into the Secunia forum knowledgebase

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as resolved.
mogs Tapping into the Secunia forum knowledgebase
Expert Contributor 11th Apr, 2010 14:26
Ranking: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr, 2009
System Score: 100%
Afternoon all !!
Is it an absolute certainty that installing Malwarebytes will not interfere with, nor conflict in any way with my present real-time Security ?
There seems to be no threads concerning same in the program lists.
Some forums have their favourites.
You might have a good friend who might be slacker/more careless, who's awareness won't be raised.....the computer gets slower, but got enough money...just goes out and buys a new one. Like a drug baron replaces an impounded plane ?
Maybe I should have raised this in Open Discussions ?

--

Post "RE: Tapping into the Secunia forum knowledgebase" has been selected as an answer.
This user no longer exists thread moved
Member 12th Apr, 2010 09:56
Last edited on 12th Apr, 2010 09:56 I agree open discussion would be more appropriate. Thread moved, and good luck!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
michaelsalis RE: Tapping into the Secunia forum knowledgebase
Member 12th Apr, 2010 13:47
Score: 57
User Since: 18th Feb 2009
System Score: 98%
My understanding is if you use the free version for regular/occasional scans there is no real-time scanner with Malwarebytes and will not interfere.

However, if you purchase the paid for version it has real-time scanning and may interfere with your existing anti-virus software.

Lots of people swear by the program I used it for about 6 months and the only thing it did was to remove a legitimate program I use. I uninstalled it a few days ago and strangely several Gb of disc space was freed up although I do not have any idea why this was the case also my laptop is running a little better. I do not know if this is just a coincidence or whether it actually had some effect on the running.

I trust this helps you with deciding what to do.

Michael

--
Michael
Toshiba Satelite A660
Intel i7
Windows 7 Ultimate
IE9

Toshiba Equium Laptop
Intel Centrino Duo
Windows Vista Ultimate SP2
IE9
Was this reply relevant?
+1
mogs RE: Tapping into the Secunia forum knowledgebase
Expert Contributor 12th Apr, 2010 14:19
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Thanks " mike" !
Was it the free or paid-for version that you were using? Your comments etc., are obviously of influence.....at the moment I don't feel inspired with confidence as a result of. I have read elsewhere of the prog having found the occasional piece of malware that other security did'nt.....but perhaps tighter browsing practices might have meant never having fallen prey to it in the fist place ?
I'll leave the thread open for a while to see if any convincing reports transpire.
Thanks again.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 12th Apr, 2010 14:20
Thanks " mike" !
Was it the free or paid-for version that you were using? Your comments etc., are obviously of influence.....at the moment I don't feel inspired with confidence as a result of. I have read elsewhere of the prog having found the occasional piece of malware that other security did'nt.....but perhaps tighter browsing practices might have meant never having fallen prey to it in the fist place ?
I'll leave the thread open for a while to see if any convincing reports transpire.
Thanks again.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 12th Apr, 2010 14:24
Thanks Emil.....hope you're having a good day.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Apr, 2010 21:49
hi Mogs

I just tried to post a reply to you, it was rather long and tool me a while to do then when I tried to post it Secunia wanted me to "register" and I lost the post, I have to go to work shortly so will try again later.

I guess secunia logs you out if you take too long to post and it is lost, this is now the second occasion this has happend.

I will try again tomorrow.

Michael

--
Michael
Toshiba Satelite A660
Intel i7
Windows 7 Ultimate
IE9

Toshiba Equium Laptop
Intel Centrino Duo
IE9
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 12th Apr, 2010 21:57
Evening "mike".
I had the same problem quite a few times; particularly if the post was lengthy. Then I learned to Copy before pressing Reply....if the worst happens and you're timed out; log in again....return to create.....Paste and presto !
Look forward to hearing from you as and when; meanwhile have a good shift.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Tapping into the Secunia forum knowledgebase
Handling Contributor 12th Apr, 2010 23:57
Score: 11744
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 13th Apr, 2010 00:26
Have U both tried Notepad to eliminate the problem?

That way U are offline & take all the time in the world preparing your replies or creating a thread.

Just copy & paste when ready to use the Forum.

If U want to go up market look here:

http://www.notetab.com/features.php

I use the professional version but think the free Lite version has a spell checker as well.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: Tapping into the Secunia forum knowledgebase
Member 13th Apr, 2010 08:53
Hi,

About the timeout/logout problem.
There is no good reason the forum should log you out before you finish typing the reply. The cookies don't expire within such a short time.
Can I ask you to tell me your preferred browser (the one you use to access the forum) and version? Do you use any plugins? Plugins relating to cookies are especially interesting.

Which settings do you have for cookies? It should hopefully be something like "keep until they expire".

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Apr, 2010 10:01
Thankyou for attention to the problem Emil.

I'm using Chrome ; version 5.0.375.3 dev ( just updated today).
The setting for plug-ins is :- Allow all sites to use plug-ins (recommended).

Cookies...settings:-
*Allow local data to be set
*Block all third party cookies without exception
5 cookies are showing for Secunia :-
2 expire at close of Browser
1 expires 2012
1 expires 13/4/2010
1 expires 12/10/2010
I hope the foregoing is useful to you.....regards

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Apr, 2010 10:42
Brill ! Thanks for the info and advice Maurice...tho' I do hope we manage to sort this particular problem out on site, as it were; I have downloaded the Notetab Lite as you suggested....I'm sure I shall find it very useful.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Tapping into the Secunia forum knowledgebase
Handling Contributor 13th Apr, 2010 10:46
Score: 11744
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 13th Apr, 2010 10:51
I have never had the problem so cannot help + Emil has got a handle on it so U are in good hands.

Not sure how anyone can work without notepad or an upmarket version - vital tool particularly when dabbling & U require a quick copy of something.

Drag it to the Start Menu & use it to the full.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 13th Apr, 2010 11:22
Got it in the Start Menu.......gonna have a good read when I get "all the time in the world" ! Haha ! First impressions are that ,it is more than adequate for this apprentice's ( ageing!) dabbling in wizardry !!!! I'll have you know I've managed quite well without a spell-checker thus far !! Ha again !! Best wishes

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Tapping into the Secunia forum knowledgebase
Expert Contributor 13th Apr, 2010 12:32
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello Emil ,

This problem was first reported (and re-stated) to Secunia for both Firefox and Chrome when the first wesbsite changes were made .

The latest "log-in" system seems to have rectified the problem in Firefox ; but it has always remained and persists with Chrome - subjectively , "auto log-out" seems to happen even quicker recently .

Copy and paste works fine - as long as you remember to use it , if not "WordPad" or a notepad can/do save you a lot of grief !!

Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Apr, 2010 13:01
Last edited on 13th Apr, 2010 13:07

Hello Mogs ,

As I am here today it would be ill mannered not to respond to your original question .

You do not mention your software by name nor which components form the "real-time portion .

Apart from definitely not running more than one Ani-virus , then having more than one "real-time guard" running may not give actively seen clashes , but may well slow down the running of your system :(

I have also been advised that unseen clashes may occur , but only become a real problem when an intruder shows up . Running an "on demand scan" using installed or on-line scanners as a a regular check up on your current *** system should be fine (for ordinary users such as us) ; especially if your system is presently clean .

Re Michael's problem , I would always "Qurantine" before "Deleting" (where/whenever possible) detected malware and the make sure it is a "real" nasty and not a "false positive" ; having said that , some really nasty malware can be so entrenched that it will take some of your "good" software with it when it goes , what ever you try to do .

Hope this adds a few more pennies to the pot :))

Anthony

EDIT:*** you ideally should have both behaviour and signature detection of malware running in you real-time .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Apr, 2010 14:27
Thanks Anthony....points noted and cupric currency collecting !!
I've got to the stage where I neither recommend nor mention my own security by name.....it must be the most contentious subject.....contention in itself seems to me to open up a wound/arguement etc., etc., and therefore to allow in an infection . If it is the case that there's any conflict, seen or otherwise; proven or not.....it would leave room perhaps for that which both were trying to detect ?
As I've not had one instance of alien intrusion since getting my computer with pre-installed security.....having been very unknowledgeable at the outset......I've reached the conclusion that I've been more than lucky.....I must be doing something right ?
On the negative side tho'.....I'm not gaining any experience with regard to advising others how to deal with and remove ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Apr, 2010 20:17
Hi Mogs

Just a little background regarding my use of Malwarebytes.

For many years I have used Norton Security products, currently Norton 360 and Webroot Spy Sweeper with no problems until v3 of 360 was released. I went to the Norton forum to see if anybody else was having the same problem, all the Norton “fanboys” said it was I was using both 360 and Spy Sweeper ignoring the fact that many others were posting that they had no other security products installed. My father was having the same problem and did not use Spy Sweeper.

I contacted Norton and Webroot and spoke to actual engineers not call centre staff at both companies who both said there was no problem security wise in using them although there may be a fall off in performance which I was not worried about. After a short while Norton issued an update to 360 and things went back to normal. The Webroot engineer suggested a solution to help with the performance side of things.

When Norton released v4 of 360 the same problem occurred, the Norton fanboys said exactly the same thing, however, Norton issued an update a week or two ago and all settled down again.

On both occasions RAM use went up on my laptop went up by about 5%, I have 2.5Gb of RAM.

There are a lot of people on Norton who are also fans of Malwarebytes so I decided to try the free version which is just a scanner and has no real time protection, have updated definitions daily and two new versions have been released. I have run Full and Quick scans and the only “threat” it found was software I installed and is not an actual threat at all. Most of the people posting who said my problem was because of Webroot seemed to use Malwarebytes and or Super Anti Spyware and had problems with Malware. Since using Norton and Webroot I have never had an infection install on any of my computers. The only thing that appears to happen is that Norton stops Spy Sweeper from checking it’s files and throws up an alert because of Norton’s Tamper Protection

I have suggested Malwarebytes to people with infections and it seems to deal with them mostly without problem. However, after about 6 months of it finding nothing on my systems I decided to remove it as it was just sitting on my system and I had little use for it. It was uninstalled about 3 days ago and I was a little surprised that several Gb’s of disc space was freed up after installation although Revo Uninstaller found a great number of Registry Keys and files that had not been uninstalled by normal uninstalling. My laptop also seemed to be less sluggish and several % of RAM was released. This may be coincidence but I changed nothing else on my system.

Malwarebytes has many fans and fanboys in the same way Apple does those who say nothing else is good enough and other software is useless. I had no particular problem with it but never really found the need for it and decided to uninstall it rather than have it sit on my system with no real use for it.

A number of Malwarebytes users tell others not to download from the Malwarebytes site but from somewhere like Filehippo as they say there are hackers out there who attack the Malwarebytes site and there may be problems downloading/installing if you download it from the official site.

Sorry that the post is rather long.

Michael

--
Michael
Toshiba Satelite A660
Intel i7
Windows 7 Ultimate
IE9

Toshiba Equium Laptop
Intel Centrino Duo
IE9
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 14th Apr, 2010 20:34
Hello Michael.....thankyou for the reply.....you obviously overcame the disappearance of the text...and that sinking feeling when having devoted so much time to it.....we live and we learn eh?
Certainly a tale of woe, you have to relate....it seems it can sometimes be some kind of a lottery as to who or how many we choose to listen to: and each to our own experiences as ultimately being the better teacher ?
I found myself thinking as I was reading your report..." I'm better off sticking with what I've got ". That "said" it costs me a sum of money....luckily it's not too much of a struggle to afford.....I began searching for more reduced items (groceries) in the Co-op!!
In contrast, my son in law.....without being derogatory in any way.....who has no Scots in his ancestral line....is given to the saving of pennies in whatever way he can. Well, his Acer laptop has been in here for it's overdue 3 monthly "service". Some time last year....having cleared it of alien/foreign and oldish objects.....I put AVG and Threatfire as resident "guardian angels". I'm pleased to report that they continue to work in harmony.....somehow complimenting each other....and although he visits some "unsavory" places: a few tracking cookies was all I saw!!!
I'm even more in the dark as regards cars!!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: Tapping into the Secunia forum knowledgebase
Member 14th Apr, 2010 21:19
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Last edited on 14th Apr, 2010 21:22
I keep it on my system as it is the only program that deals with botts and open command lines and is able to make the repair. Oh ya Hi everyone of the old crowd been away for a while.

--
Windows Home Basic-Service Pack 2
Dell AMD Athlon 64x2 Processor 4000+ 2.10Ghz 2Memory 32 Bit

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Apr, 2010 22:03
hi Mogs

Yes I was a little surprised by the strange happenings with the forum and thought it must be me.

I am sure you're right keeping with what you have, I tend to go for paid software where possible and give a donation to those who accept them like CCleaner.

I have been very happy in general with Norton and Webroot been malware free since before broadband when I had one virus in the old dial up days although I do from time to time try other software I seem to stay with what I know and served me well for many years.

I do pay attention to regular housekeeping and updating now with the help of Secunia and Filehippo and learn a bit more each day.

Hope what i posted was a little help.

Michael

--
Michael
Toshiba Satelite A660
Intel i7
Windows 7 Ultimate
IE9

Toshiba Equium Laptop
Intel Centrino Duo
IE9
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Tapping into the Secunia forum knowledgebase
Member 15th Apr, 2010 09:23
Hi,

About people getting logged out of the forum (on a more regular base than "weekly", which is supposed to happen).

There seems to be nothing in our code that should log you out. The cookie/sessions doesn't expire within such a short duration. If you have been logged in for several days, you should consider logging in again, to reset your session "timeout". If the problem persists, try checking your browser settings for cookie timeout/etc.

we did do some small internal changes, however, and tried to restructure the program logic. Does the problem persist?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Apr, 2010 10:25
Thankyou Emil.
I've had one instance of "losing the thread": tho' that was last night, and not the only thing that was acting out of character. Most often tho' the problem seems to have been rectified. Have a good day....regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Apr, 2010 10:49
Hello Michael.....although seeming perhaps overly simplistic; I'm sure there's still something of a good guide in whether feeling satisfied or not. It seems to be the case that we oft need a backup to relax. For my part, your comments have been found helpful.....security is one aspect where I feel I need to be able to afford some outlay.
Hello to puget too !! Long time since having seen and heard. Hope you are well.
Best wishes,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Apr, 2010 10:50
Hello Michael.....although seeming perhaps overly simplistic; I'm sure there's still something of a good guide in whether feeling satisfied or not. It seems to be the case that we oft need a backup to relax. For my part, your comments have been found helpful.....security is one aspect where I feel I need to be able to afford some outlay.
Hello to puget too !! Long time since having seen and heard. Hope you are well.
Best wishes,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Apr, 2010 12:10
hi Mogs

I'm pleased it has at least made you feel happier if perhaps not muc more knowledgrable.

i am far away from being expert with computers and find it very useful to see others in my position asking questions, giving their experiences watching what some people who are more knowledgeable have to say as well and the cotributions from staff members. I also have to make use of some software to do things that the like of Maurice Joyce could do himself standing on his head.

Luckily this forum seems to have more sensible people making comments in others I have found many "experts" who only think there are rather than are in reality.

I also work with people like it who have all the technical terms off pat but in reality know less than the likes of us but are too big headed to admit they don't know about things.

I look forward to seeing your postings in the future and adding my twopence worth on occasions.

Michael

--
Michael
Toshiba Satelite A660
Intel i7
Windows 7 Ultimate
IE9

Toshiba Equium Laptop
Intel Centrino Duo
IE9
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Apr, 2010 14:21
Last edited on 15th Apr, 2010 14:23
Hello Emil ,

As with Mogs , I have not been "logged out" by the website using Chrome since I posted (two days ago) ; I use Wordpad for longer posts and still "copy" all posts before submitting . The problem had seemed to occur when hitting the reply button , even though the left column of the Reply/Content page showed as still being "logged in" , the post did not load and was lost for good and you were sent back to the log-in/Profile page .

I have noticed that the time to load the post after hitting the "Reply" button is now much longer than before (some/more people seem to be double/repeat posting ; you know who you are :)) or maybe Mogs is just seeking attention !!)

Thanks for the tweaks Emil , will let you know if the problem returns.

Take care
Anthony

EDIT: this post took 15 seconds to react and open the thread after hitting "Reply" - still logged in :))

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Apr, 2010 22:59
You've caught me out Anthony !! Once or twice, I must admit to having done Copy before having pressed reply; and somehow finished up with two of the same posts. I still keep thinking " it's gonna disappear ".
I've also " crashed " more, and lost internet connection in the last couple of days, than anytime previously.....just put it down to a rough patch.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 16th Apr, 2010 09:29
A thankyou to all the contributors to the thread.....tho' possibly discussed more of "losing it/timed out " than the efficacy of Malwarebytes ! For the time being I've decided that I will not be adding it to my arsenal.
It still seems to me that avoiding any potential conflicts, and trying to iron them out, if and when they transpire, is still the way forward. I've achieved more oft than not, a sense of joy in perceiving my pc operating.....programs from all corners of the globe running in harmony......no sign of rebellion against the OS.....tho' Chrome on the not too distant horizon.
Don't get your threads knotted !!
Best wishes,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer