Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: installation path

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as resolved.
marcsiek42 installation path
Member 11th Apr, 2010 16:11
Ranking: 0
User Since: 8th Aug, 2009
System Score: N/A
On Secunia's page of information about insecure programs, there is a box labeled "INSTALLATION PATH". Does that give the location where the new program should be? Or IS IT THE LOCATION OF THE FILE THAT SHOULD BE UNINSTALLED after the new program is installed?

Post "RE: installation path" has been selected as an answer.
mogs RE: installation path
Expert Contributor 11th Apr, 2010 18:13
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
Are you using Secunia psi with the Advanced interface ?
If you click on the + sign alongside an entry it will expand, to reveal the file path. If you click on an entry in the Insecure or End of Life page it will reveal the file path to the item that needs be updated or that the vendor has ceased to support.
If you then click on Tech Details it will confirm the path and provide additional info.
Can you see a Secure Browsing tab ?
If you click on any item in the Patched tab further info is also available.
If you can provide more information.....perhaps OS and browser, and anything else you think may be relevant, it is likely to be helpful in sorting your problem(s).
Hope the foregoing is of assistance.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: installation path
Dedicated Contributor 11th Apr, 2010 19:28
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 11th Apr, 2010 19:33
I'm guessing you're already using advanced and clicked [+] to expand.

The box showing the installation path is the location where PSI is already finding the program that is showing in your insecure programs tab. It should be the same as that given by clicking Tech. Details icon.

Depending on which program you need to update, it will either overwrite in the same location (normal), or may create a new file at the side of the old one (sometimes - often with some browsers - not Ff.), requiring the removal (deletion) of the old file. If required, clicking the Open Folder icon takes you to that location.

If you have an insecure program, click on download solution icon, to update from the vendor's site.

If, after updating, the insecurity doesn't go from the insecure tab (also look for notification bubble from tray icon), then re-boot and re-scan PSI.

Some Adobe software require a downloaded uninstaller to be run, prior to updating.

If you require more info relating to a specific program, then post back here.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: installation path
Dedicated Contributor 11th Apr, 2010 19:34
Score: 1211
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
Last edited on 11th Apr, 2010 19:37
The installation path gives the location of the file Secunia has used to determine which version of a program is installed. When you update the program the file should be replaced by a new version. If you uninstall the program it should be deleted.
Some programs, for example Adobe Flash Player, may not always remove older components when they are updated or deleted. If you are having a problem which a specific program, please indicate what it is.

Overlapped posting. No additional information.

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
marcsiek42 RE: installation path
Member 12th Apr, 2010 01:51
Score: 0
User Since: 8th Aug 2009
Thank you for your help.

I had updated a Sun Java JRE program.

Using the advanced setting, I was able to get the installation path and find it
on my hard drive.

After completing the update, the same location is still there. The program I updated, however, has disappeared from the list of insecure programs.

Now I am not sure if I should delete or uninstall the program I found by following the installation path before doing the update. I don't know if it is now the location of the new updated version, or if it is still the location of the old version.

In other words, I don't know how to tell if old insecure versions have been automatically uninstalled or not.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Apr, 2010 01:55
Thank you for your help.

I had updated a Sun Java JRE program.

Using the advanced setting, I was able to get the installation path and follow it to the exact location of the insecrure program on my hard drive.

After completing the update, the same location is still there. The program I updated, however, has disappeared from the list of insecure programs.

Now I am not sure if I should delete or uninstall the program I found by following the installation path before doing the update. I don't know if it is now the location of the new updated version, or if it is still the location of the old version.

In other words, I don't know how to tell if old insecure versions have been automatically uninstalled or not.

I think, from what you've said, that since it does not show up as insecure any longer, the outdated version must have been uninstalled. But I'm not sure.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Apr, 2010 02:00
It was a Sun Jave JRE program. After I updated, it disappeared from the list of insecure programs, but the location I had found by following the Installation Path is still there.

I'm guessing that it may now be the location for the new updated version and should be left alone, but am not sure how to tell if the older version was automatically uninstalled.

Thank you for your help.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: installation path
Dedicated Contributor 12th Apr, 2010 07:04
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Every program has a default location on your computer, so when there is an update, the new version knows to go to the same location.

In the majority of cases the new update overwrites the old version (actually uninstalls the old, and re-installs the new), in exactly the same location - this is true of Java JRE - which is why you're still seeing the installed program in the same location.

Providing the entry has gone from your insecure tab, all is as it should be.

You can check all is OK by looking under patched tab and scrolling to the bottom to Sun Java JRE 1.6.x / 6.x, the current updated version is 6.0.190.4. This will have 2x entries - this is normal, and you shouldn't worry or change anything.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: installation path
Member 12th Apr, 2010 09:49
Hi,
The "Installation Path" file is the file the PSI/CSI uses to determine you have a certain product installed. If this file is found, and matches certain version info/other file info, the product is listed as installed.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Apr, 2010 14:25
Last edited on 12th Apr, 2010 14:29
TiMow, you've made it perfectly clear now. Thanks to all, mops, TiMow, ddmarshall, and E. Peterson, for your help and patience.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer