xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Google Chrome shows 2 versions in scan, both compromised.

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Google
And, this specific program:
Google Chrome 4.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
allancurtis Google Chrome shows 2 versions in scan, both compromised.
Member 23rd Apr, 2010 05:46
Ranking: -2
User Since: 16th Oct, 2009
System Score: N/A
After scanning, "google chrome" is said to be needed to be updated. I have however the latest version ie. 4.1.249.1045.
It Lists two versions that it says are out of date 4.1.249.1042, as well as 4.1.249.1045 the latest.
I've followed advice and downloaded the latest EXE. file however it's the same as my latest Chrome Browser.

Could any kind person tell me what to do?
Most kindest regards
Allan

TiMow RE: Google Chrome shows 2 versions in scan, both compromised.
Dedicated Contributor 23rd Apr, 2010 07:21
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 23rd Apr, 2010 07:24
Hi allancurtis

The same happened to me yesterday.

Chrome check for updates gives 4.1.249.1045 as latest, whereas in fact 4.1.249.1059 is now available.

In this instance, you need to click the download solution icon from the insecurity (Chrome) on the PSI window (not from Google).

I did this for both ...1042 (which was already out of date) and ...1045; and unusually for Chrome the old file was removed 2x and left just one correct file.

Alternatively it may be necessary to manually remove an old file.

Advanced mode interface > click on [+] (under insecure or patched tab) to expand > toolbox icons > Open Folder > highlight old version file > right click > delete > may require further deletion from recycle bin.

May have to reboot and rescan PSI - although I think the changes are instantly picked up by PSI.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+4

allancurtis

RE: Google Chrome shows 2 versions in scan, both compromised.
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Anthony Wells RE: Google Chrome shows 2 versions in scan, both compromised.
Expert Contributor 23rd Apr, 2010 12:01
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 23rd Apr, 2010 12:11
Hello allancurtis ,

Not sure why you would need to be terrified of the Chinese and anybody in this Forum can see your "user name" . If it is also your real name , if you wish , change it to something you can accept displayed to the world using the "Profile" tab in your PSI .

I think TiMow is actually an English expatriate living in Switzerland (Helvetica to some people) . CH is the international code for Switzerland from the Latin Confoederatio Helvetica. I'm sure TiMow will correct me if I have erred

Whatever , the advice he has given you appears to me as a user of Google Chrome to be clear and correct .

Hope this helps .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Dedicated Contributor 23rd Apr, 2010 13:04
Last edited on 23rd Apr, 2010 13:20
@allancurtis

I don't believe it should ever be necessary to justify oneself or any situation, but maybe just this once I will give a clarification, if it helps. (Why you fear the Chinese is a mystery).

@Anthony Wells' (hi, Anthony) information above is an accurate take on things, regarding my origins (if it matters) and the country code for Switzerland - CN, by the way, is China.

My username is a tongue-in-cheek form of my real name - it's amazing how putting a capital letter in the middle of a word can fool people - done to cause the very illusion, that you have mistakenly believed. Anonymity, coupled with a bit of humour (on my part, anyway) is par for the course here.

Re. your specific problem with Chrome, my solution above worked for me yesterday - for some reason, Chrome's own update search didn't give ... 1059 as an available update (as of yesterday), whereas PSI did; this may have now changed.

I may not have a technical background, but I am familiar with these (re-occurring) issues; from resolving my own and reading about others' - you choose yourself whether or not you use the information to remedy your own problem.

But be warned - there are probably many sinister characters out there, from many nations (not just China), visiting such open forums; so it's up to you, how much anonymity you assume.

TiMow

EDIT: I almost forgot:
Was ist es, das die Englischen leute sagen? - Ah genau! - Frohlichen Sankt Georges' tag, an alle.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
lamaslany RE: Google Chrome shows 2 versions in scan, both compromised.
Member 24th Apr, 2010 18:00
Score: 22
User Since: 8th May 2009
on 23rd Apr, 2010 07:21, TiMow wrote:
Chrome check for updates gives 4.1.249.1045 as latest, whereas in fact 4.1.249.1059 is now available.

In this instance, you need to click the download solution icon from the insecurity (Chrome) on the PSI window (not from Google)....

Out of interest if Chrome doesn't detect a new version when the update check is performed where is PSI getting it's update from? Is it an official Chrome update?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 24th Apr, 2010 19:03
Hi lamaslany

I cant' tell you why Chrome update doesn't pick up on the latest update, as soon as it becomes available - it does eventually, as this is not the first time this has happened. But Secunia are on the ball with this.

I have it installed, and About Chrome form tools menu recognises it as the latest version.

As another reassurance see the following Google Chrome Releases blog. You have to scroll down a bit to "Stable Update: Security Fixes".

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/

Hope this covers any concerns.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

mogs

[+]

b45brouwer

[+]

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer