xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: CPU 100% - is dumprep.exe a/the cause?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
taffy078 CPU 100% - is dumprep.exe a/the cause?
Contributor 23rd Apr, 2010 23:00
Ranking: 408
User Since: 26th Feb, 2009
System Score: 100%
As I've mentioned in other threads, Iíve been having 100% CPU issues for a while now and I think I may have found the cause by accident.
I had been displaying CPU usage in the tool bar at the bottom of the screen, so I could monitor it. Just now I also had Task Manager open (for another reason).

When the CPU reached 100%, I saw 96% was for dumprep.exe.
Googling told me this is a Windows Error Dump Reporting Tool that creates memory dump reports that your PC sends back to Microsoft for further analysis.

I then found the official Microsoft Knowledge Base article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899870. This gives two ways of stopping the problem using regedit or msconfig. Neither worked for me Ė Ďdumprepí didnít appear where they said it was.

So I googled again. One article (thoí from 2004) said enabling dumprep creates many problems for users of IE & Netscape. Its solution was simple and via the control panel:

Turn it OFF by opening the SYSTEM icon in the Control Panel, choosing the ADVANCED tab, then Error Reporting, and then clicking on Disable Error Reporting.
Fingers crossed Iíve done the right thing. I'll now wait to see if the CPU 100% problem has gone away.
I hope this will help anyone else with the same problem (provided that the technical guys OK this).

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003

Maurice Joyce RE: CPU 100% - is dumprep.exe a/the cause?
Handling Contributor 23rd Apr, 2010 23:39
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
System Score: N/A
Taffy,
Many people do turn this off because it can "churn" on slower machines.

However,what U have got to find out is why MS is creating the file.

It does not just create files "on tap". The norm is a problem with Windows Explorer not Internet Explorer but it could be anything that is serious which is when dumprep is triggered.

What is the Event Viewer saying?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
taffy078 RE: CPU 100% - is dumprep.exe a/the cause?
Contributor 24th Apr, 2010 13:02
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
System Score: 100%
I found Event Viewer, Maurice - eventually. The Microsoft KB article showed the wrong route - well at least for my PC. I found it in the Administrative Tools folder in the Control Panel.
There were a few errors in Applications & System - three related to hang-ups at the same time as the CPU was 100%. The other said that Bonjour Service didn't start. I've no idea what that is - I've asked Microsoft to clarify and I'll google shortly***.
There were no entries in Drivers Scanners nor Internet Explorer.
Now I know about the Event Viewer and having disabled dumprep, I'll check the Event Viewer regularly from now on.
I was impressed by the fact that when you clicked on an item, you could go direct to the Help & Support Center for an explanation. Mind you, some of the explanations were way over my head!
(I presume it was the dumprep that alerted me to the BT/Yahoo problem I mentioned a while ago, something that I'll post next time I have it, and so have the MS recommendations.)

** too busy to, at the moment. I'm just setting up a laptop I bought last November. 39 MS updates (400MB) and similarly for my Norton.
Great news there - I went onto Norton's OneClick Support and asked what I had to do to get a product for three machines, and how much would it be. (My laptop's free NIS had expired.) They input my tower's product key on my laptop and so the laptop is now part of the existing cover - free! They said I could also add my other laptop to it - again, free. It's one I got my younger daughter.

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+